Forget Me Not | LoZ: BotW/LoZ...

By LivFreely

Write your own fate in the stars, I will be here to pick you up should you fall while finishi... More

i- When Light Falls To Dark, Heroes Rise From The Ruins In A War Against Fate
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
ii- At World's End, Stand Up And Fight For Those That Make Our Dreams Stay Alive
15
16
17
19
20
21
Author's Note: Guess Who? :)

18

3.4K 206 117
By LivFreely

"Find you. . ."

Her unconscious mind jolted, the disconcerting echo of the disembodied voice whispering a broken sentence. There was no image of the person speaking to her, just a blank presence. Just a haunting ghost with neither a feminine or masculine timbre.

"I'll always find you."

In lieu, her treacherous mind succumbed to a forbidden route. An untrustworthy path which she carelessly tread numerous times in her head since awakening. Why did she lose her memories? Did something so unspeakably dismaying occur that wiped her brain of everything she was and had been?

"Forget me. . ."

Burning apprehension seared her gut, no, her conscience was bellowing madly at her to get off her lazy bum and fight for the freedom concerning her locked recollection of her enigmatic past. (Y/n) fervently dismissed the inclination, she wouldn't forget. She refused, but she knew, goddesses did she know, that wasn't her choice to make. (Y/n) had already regained little snippets of scenes valuable to her memory loss. She acknowledged the blatant fact she had a mother she killed in cold blood, a frail brother, and a spiteful father. All of whom were dead, but this voice, an unspecified hunch told her she could save them.

"Don't forget me."

Her hands were tied, but she wanted nothing more than to locate them, acknowledge their struggling voice. They sounded like the pain they carried drowned them, stealing the life from their breathless lungs. And her instincts screamed for her to help them despite the dangerous situation she could be stepping into.

"Remember, no matter what, I-"

Their voice faded, completely vanishing in the depths of oblivion. Heedlessly reckless, she desperately called out to them, yelling she wouldn't forget, but their last plea was distant, muffled, and cut off. (Y/n) fully understood well enough this crazy dream had shattered, becoming eerily cognizant to her heart rapidly thumping and frigid breaths coating her insides in a layer of frost. Snapping back to reality with a shuddering exhale, (Y/n) curled into herself feebly, indefensible to the scorching bite of dread cementing itself to her memory.

I need to find them, (Y/n) resolutely decided, dedication surging strongly in her heart. All in due time, though, as for right now, her emotions had to settle. Looking for a distraction to calm herself, (Y/n) focused on what encompassed her.

Chirping birds sang their harmonious carols, the shrill sound incredibly irritating this early. (Y/n)'s eyes flickered languidly, rich crimson irises eclipsing with sated appreciation, admiring the ambitiousness of nature and wandering the expanse of the surrounding wilderness as it enthusiastically sprang to life. Daybreak's subdued pigmented rays extended across healthy emerald foliage sprinkled with droplets of condensation, the cool water reflecting dazzling light as it splayed bountifully in every direction. Delighted woodland animals scampered unrestrictedly in their abundantly filled vegetative home, scavenging for shelter and food.

(Y/n) discovered herself to be hugging her combative metal staff for no plausible reason other than she enjoyed cuddling with anything her subconscious felt like senselessly grabbing onto. Somewhat amused, mood exponentially improving, (Y/n) felt a yawn bubbling at the back of her throat as she gradually awakened, the action was accompanied by her dragging her stiff torso upward, fingers lightly burrowing into stumpy blades of thick grass to steady herself. Chilled morning breezes harshly nipped at (Y/n)'s rosy cheeks, her usual smooth (s/c) skin flushed underneath the environments mild brutality.

Unperturbed, her clearing sight drifted to the faint, swirling plumes of white smoke rising from a bed of smoldering cinders. Last night's raging fire had long since burned to dying embers and heavy ash, flickering with extreme difficulty to remain lit.

Her slow thoughts blurred, stagnant and incomprehensible until a soft snore echoed from her right. Startled, (Y/n)'s hooded eyes, remnants of sleep still slightly clouding her vision, swiveled to Link who lay opposite to her position.

I completely forgot about him for a moment, she inwardly deadpanned.

A crude bow, shield, and sword were all tossed unceremoniously onto the ground, forgotten due to his ample fatigue. The young man's back faced her, ill-fitting beige shirt expanding and contrasting with each of his peaceful breaths. (Y/n), keeping a watchful eye on him, gracefully roused to a full stand, purposefully tensing her aching muscles as she stretched. Satisfying pops and cracks echoed throughout (Y/n)'s body, leaving her to blissfully sigh. Considerably content, she leisurely scooped up her resistant staff, twirling it masterfully between her deft fingers before swinging it onto her back, clipping it to a sturdy belt wrapped around one of her shoulders.

Quietly shuffling over to Link next, (Y/n) crouched so she could curl her fingers overtop his nearest shoulder. "Link." (Y/n) gently shook him, hoping to stir his conscious. "Link, it's time to wake up." However, he stubbornly slept through her friendly call, shivering defenselessly in the process.

Ignorant to what engulfed her in a stray bout of inquisitiveness, (Y/n) distractedly dissected his attractive features closely. Her bizarre concentration fixated on the dark bags arranged under his sealed eyes. Shallow cuts, red and agitated, scraped across his handsome face, a telltale sign of his arduous journey thus far.

Goddesses help me, he looks too exhausted. How much did he go through before we met, I wonder?

(Y/n) ponderously sighed, breaking from her engrossed stupor, but a solution had already formed in her mind. With a pleased hum, (Y/n) decidedly dug into the insides of her bottomless, leather traveling pouch, grabbing a durable, yet extremely comfortable, cloak.

The obsidian material rumpled beneath her touch, unraveling with a lofty flourish as she flung it outward, covering Link to keep him nice and toasty. Not even a second passed and Link's calloused hands were mindlessly grappling at the article of protective clothing, pulling it closer as he unwittingly mumbled something incoherent.

Wasting little time, and with an entertained grin claiming her lips, (Y/n) left Link's side, carefully trekking below overhanging branches enveloped by a heaping assemblage of blooming leafage varying in colorful greens.

Thirty minutes later, (Y/n) officially encompassed the entire forest, splashing her face with sparkling clear water, filling their respective canteens, climbing plenty coniferous trees, and searching for local spices and mouthwatering herbs before finally collecting every tasty ingredient for a hearty breakfast.

She arrived back at their makeshift camp, placing an abandoned cooking pot she salvaged above thin twigs and logs of wood she managed to obtain. (Y/n) borrowed Link's ordinary sword, swiftly striking the sharp edge against a shard of flint. As the dry wood caught fire, (Y/n) started absentmindedly making a savory meal for them both to eat before their inevitable departure.

During her attentive cooking, she randomly checked on her slumbering companion from time to time. Yesterday evening had been a blundering disarray of (Y/n) and Link pretending they weren't over 100 years old. Neither brought up the touchy subject. Although they remained calm, the underlying tension was so dense the dullest of swords could've cleanly sliced through their barely suppressed, disquieted emotions.

Then there were her ethereal "wings." (Y/n) had practically looked past his oversaturated cerulean irises, seeing the metaphorical wheels revolving in Link's gobsmacked head at the moment upon their reveal as he attempted to understand what exactly he was witnessing. His guess was as good as hers, though. (Y/n) only knew these powers of hers were an innate force. According to Impa that is, but how believable was the elder woman? The clever story she manipulated and told (Y/n) upon her arrival at Kakariko was one that was so obviously a lie, she wanted to smack herself for trusting the woman.

I was in an accident when I went out exploring Hyrule? Yeah, right, and I'm a pretty little princess, she thought sarcastically, rolling her eyes exaggeratedly. (Y/n)'s anger frothed to the surface of her skin, her cheeks heating to a feverish degree, but she took a soothing breath and trudged onward in her task.

Today would be a good day. Though (Y/n)'s circumstances were unanticipated, and meeting Link unknowingly unveiled a dark tale sinisterly correlated to their memories, she felt relieved someone else was with her on this journey. And nonetheless, it was partially interesting just who Link was. (Y/n) prided herself on her expert level perception skills, and discerning Link's extremely reserved expressions became a challenging game to her in a short amount of time.

He talked little – not mute per say – but expressed less, mostly articulating himself using his severe eyes, of that she was absolutely certain. Perhaps there was the occasional, apparent flash of a strong, overruling emotion shown on his face, but that forceful aquatic stare of his seemingly pierced her hardened barriers until his invasive exploration led him soul-deep. It left (Y/n) struggling to erase his electric gaze from her skin, and made a cryptic lump form in her throat because she hadn't the faintest idea what it meant.

Whatever it was, she didn't care for it in the least, and the unabashed idea crossed her mind on multiple different occasions that she should take the opportunity and ditch him – abandon the young man to fend for himself – but that definitely wasn't who she was. (Y/n) took refuge in her own beneficence she selflessly offered others because it helped her cope with the loss of her absent memories.

Understandably, (Y/n) was incredibly frustrated, and rightfully so. She had believed a well-constructed lie, and for what? Because Impa didn't want her to suffer the consequences of receiving her memories too early? To reunite with a boy, a proclaimed hero, that she used to know? It was ridiculous. And what was (Y/n) to make of their mutual, dangerous situation? King Rhoam, despite all of his talking, didn't clarify much, and it immensely aggravated (Y/n). But, was she truly ready to have her story from 100 years back be disclosed by Impa?

That's silly, of course I am. . . Right?

(Y/n), as an individual, followed her heart's desires in most cases, and this wasn't any different. Link, and begrudgingly admitting she did too, needed help whether he liked it or not.

Everything will work itself out, just focus on the present, (Y/n).

Giving herself that motivational pep-talk, (Y/n) discontinued her disorderly thoughts and feelings by cathartically inhaling a deep, rejuvenating intake of air, (Y/n)'s nose caught scent of the delicious aroma of her sizzling food as it cooked to divine perfection. As (Y/n) produced two plates and utensils from her pouch, she was infinitely glad she was always prepared just in case something of hers broke. Placing the steaming omelettes, on each plate, (Y/n) glanced at Link who was still sleeping. He hadn't even twitched!

Not wanting her hard work to go to waste, (Y/n) went to rattle Link from his comatose hibernation. "Rise and shine, sleepyhead." Before the unsuspecting girl could even retreat from Link's vicinity, he abruptly shot up, scaring her into frightfully yelping. (Y/n) landed on her rear releasing an involuntary oomph, confoundedly staring at the frazzled youth with widened eyes and a hammering heart bursting erratically, adrenaline shooting discomfortingly in her quivering veins.

Link's locked stare sent a rippling shiver to race down (Y/n)'s spine, reducing her jittery heart to a stuttering mess. "What in the name of the goddesses is wrong Link? Are you alright?"

The concern in her questioning voice must have lifted whatever strange daze imprisoning him since his following words were coherent. "What did you just say to me?" Link asked simply, a hand soothingly rubbing his throbbing temple, his other oddly resting against his sternum appearing to clutch something concealed by his tattered shirt.

(Y/n) cocked a disbelieving eyebrow, quite unimpressed, desperately trying to get her pulsating heart under control. It was way too early for this nonsense.

"Rise and shine, sleepyhead," she slowly repeated, repositioning herself to a more favorable position whilst reaching behind her to gather their cooling meal. "Why do you ask?" (Y/n) kindly handed Link his share of food, good-naturedly smiling to silently convey her understanding and support when his entrancing blue eyes shone with surprise.

"It's nothing," Link muttered stoically a few awkward seconds later after saying his thanks for the food, "forget about it."

Incredibly unconvinced, (Y/n) incredulously snorted in a very unladylike manner, any feminine softness usually displayed overtaken by her cheeky rebuttal. "Uh huh, whatever you say, your royal moodiness."

Link started at the mock friendliness in her sickly sweet voice, his visible reaction somehow comical to (Y/n) for she withheld her teasing snickers of vast amusement, tears of laughter gathering at the corners of her glistening eyes. Link's expression faithfully stayed impassive, but his nagging thoughts swam wistfully, whispering that this mysterious girl was undeniably new, yet somehow unusually familiar. So much so that it. . . hurt.

As if it was second-nature, Link sharply appraised small tidbits of personal information he hadn't taken notice of earlier. Black leather gloves protected her hands, and a metal staff was safely strapped to her back as her strange weapon of choice. (Y/n) possessed no lethal weapon to defend herself with – an irresponsible choice – nor did she seem to care the slightest bit. Wait, rewind, the long sleeves of her dark tunic and trousers were all suspicious now that he contemplated the weirdness of it all. If her attitude was carefree like she implied, then why was she wearing superior armor that only revealed her face? Did (Y/n). . . did she want people to underestimate her?

Wanting- no, needing to look anywhere but at her, Link ignored her subdued outburst. Seizing the chance, Link scanned the cramped area, taking immediate notice of the warm cloak covering the lower portion of his body as it pooled around his waist, the cooking pot, and blazing fire. But most of all, he noticed the generous quantity of appetizing food placed in his hands. Pleasant warmth seeped into his veins, rushing with illimitable appreciation for the girl sitting across from him. Guilt also prodded at his conscience for not lending a hand and also sleeping through everything, but he made it his unspoken mission to make it up to her one day. . .

Goddesses, what was happening to him? He could already see the personal change in the way he acted and his toughened demeanor lessened around (Y/n). And the evening before as he slept soundly, his horrid nightmares that had been dragging him through hell made no appearance. Link would've been a fool to deny that it probably had something to do with (Y/n)'s presence. It was a perfectly sane explanation. Why else would they have stopped their torture the moment she was present?

Interested in the girl's ability to tame his feelings, Link intently followed her every move as she settled down eventually, controlling her chuckles. Mirth continued to jovially dance in large doses amongst her blithe irises as she shook her head and cut into her meal to satiate her ravenous appetite. An approving hum escaped her when she chewed, the omelette a heavenly mixture of buttery goodness and flavorsome ingredients.

"Wait."

(Y/n) tore her attention off her food, swallowing her mouthful of eggs before responding. "What?"

Link honestly looked lost, eyebrows deeply cinched. "Why do I have an extra portion?"

(Y/n) swiftly paused, lowering her eating utensil. "That's really weird. . . I didn't even realize I made you more." She thoughtfully tapped an index finger against her chin. "I can take some from you-"

"No!" Link instantly denied, both of them jumping at the loud volume of his voice, startled. An embarrassed blush blossomed on his cheeks endearingly, ducking his head in a flustered fashion and lowering his voice to a docile tone. "I-It's okay, really."

This time around around, (Y/n) disregarded her composure, completely losing it. Boisterous laughter shook (Y/n)'s frame, shoulders quivering and lips gleefully twisted into a captivating smile. The sound of her genuine laugh enamored Link momentarily, the angelic sound reminding him of soft chiming bells. It was lovely, and he could listen to it constantly without becoming tired of it. That thought caught him off guard, but he was still too exhausted to deal with his wandering mind at the moment.

"Goddesses above, you're a closet glutton!" She exclaimed lightheartedly, breathing heavily as spontaneous, pealing giggles slipped passed her lips, incapable of pinching them together tight enough to stop. "I'm so sorry, I shouldn't be laughing at something silly like that, b-but your face is priceless." Yet, even as (Y/n) broadcasted her sincere apology, she harshly clamped her teeth onto her bottom lip as one last giggle was let loose, void of restrictions.

Unaffected, (except for his weak, palpitating heart), Link flippantly shrugged, entirely concentrated on playing it cool, but the worsening blush declaring residency on his heated face was a dead giveaway. Distracting himself by gobbling down his food, Link, after consuming the first bite, never wanted to eat his own cooking again. Amongst his missing memories, if Link was certain of one thing it was that his stomach was a bottomless pit that couldn't be satiated, and he loved eating. Although, quite unfortunately, his cooking was below subpar and oftentimes tasted of some disgusting, dubious mixture of ingredients, and (Y/n)'s food was a pleasant welcome compared to his own.

"Hey, Link, that's a Sheikah Slate on your hip, isn't it?" (Y/n) examined its unique design, recognizing it from the detailed pictures she remembered from the books Impa nicely supplied her to study and memorize.

"Yeah, it is," he confirmed, wondering where the question came from.

(Y/n)'s eyes brightened significantly, picking herself up shortly and scampering to Link's side as she nonchalantly planted herself beside him. "Do you mind if you teach me about its functions while we eat? Impa, the elderly woman you haven't met yet, said they're a Sheikah tribe marvel, but they've sadly been all but destroyed over time."

Baffled at (Y/n)'s forwardness, but thankful for the distraction, Link readily agreed, explaining all of the slates functions and runes he'd obtained. Soon, their conversation lulled, and (Y/n) was the first to stand.

Link went to remove her cloak, but she sternly refused to take it back, going as far as to wrap it around his shoulders again.

"You need it more than I do, don't worry about it."

(Y/n)'s seemingly limitless compassion threw Link for a churning loop, and he vaguely pondered if his muddled emotions would ever stabilize if he was constantly near her. Perhaps not, but it was a scary notion to think about their relationship prior to the gruesome fate that befell Hyrule Kingdom. Link mentally brushed away the tidbit of hesitation stubbornly sticking to him, his reluctance wasn't important to their objective.

(Y/n) mentioned leaving as soon as possible if they wanted to reach Kakariko at a reasonable hour. They also cautiously decided to have their dreaded talk after getting information from Impa. So with that determined, they vacated the area, covering the withering fire with a massive amount of damp soil before traveling together until the were scaling the cracked sides of the Great Plateau's impenetrable stone fortress. Reaching the top first, (Y/n) kindly offered a gloved hand to Link, hauling the young man upward when he accepted, a glint of surprise in his incredibly cerulean irises – the sun hitting them at just the right angle.

Steadying herself atop the enormous structure beside Link, (Y/n) overlooked the magnificent kingdom, prepared to brave the new world. She tranquilly absorbed the vibrant hues of the sprawling grasslands, the fantastical picture only a single jump away. The sheer drop below plummeted toward winding paths untraveled. The trickling sun-rays dappled the world as a blanket of heavenly gold, the animated glow submersing the surface world as if trying to heal the irreparable damage done many years ago.

What (Y/n) least expected was for her vision to blur and her legs to suddenly weaken.

★⊱ ▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃ ⊰★

Story-wise, I know (Y/n)'s personality (she didn't laugh/smile/joke previously like at all) as well as Link's is a little... off I know. But do keep in mind, they have absolutely no memories, that's a pretty good reason in my book to act out of character for the time being.

I'll see y'all in the next update, and thanks for being supportive as usual!

-Liv <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.9K 1.8K 32
#1 for the tag Breath of the Wild #1 FOR LINK X READER BABY LETS GO! THANK YOU GUYS SO SO MUCH! Dear Journal, Impa told me that writing this after L...
10.4K 311 26
"Princess!" he yelled after her. "Where are you going?" "Back to the castle," she replied without stopping. "Not by yourself you're not!" "I'm sorry...
80.9K 2.1K 15
With Link and the Champions in a deep slumber in the Shrine of Resurrection, Zelda is forced to call upon the help of her cousin from a distant kingd...
22.2K 362 16
The Legendary Hero joins Hyrule's Royal Guard! After all he has done for her and the kingdom, it's no surprise that Princess Zelda is crushing on the...