Love Outside the Box

By saradaniellauthor

She was everything I never knew I needed. He was everything I knew I should stay away from. More

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
EPISODE 10
EPISODE 11
EPISODE 13
Episode 14
EPISODE 15
The Final Episode

EPISODE 12

29 0 0
By saradaniellauthor

Aaron

I was pacing the hall as I waited for Coach Shelby to come back out and tell me Austen was going to be okay. When I got here, they didn't know if she was having surgery or just getting a cast. 

When the door opened, I stopped pacing and looked at her.

"Does she have to have surgery?"

She shook her head. "No, just an ugly boot. The break is more toward her ankle than above the knee. She'll need to be off her leg for a while and do some rehab to help heal faster."

"Good." I let out a relieved sigh. "When does she get to go home? Does someone need to take care of her?"

She smiled a little. "In the next hour she does. And I'm sure help would be appreciated. And I don't mind looking after her," she said quietly so the rest of the squad didn't hear. "I know things will be weird."

I ran a shaky hand through my hair. "No. I'll watch out for her. It's okay."

What. The. Hell. Why was I doing this to myself? 

She motioned for me to follow her. "She wants to see you."

We walked down the hall and Coach looked like she wanted to say something but wasn't.  I put my hands in my pockets.   

"Coach?"

She smiled. "Yeah?"

"I still love her." My voice was barely above a whisper.

She reached up and touched my shoulder. "Then you both will find a way to make it work." She looked at the door when we stopped at it. "Now, go in, but be warned, my husband made her extra loopy." She chuckled and walked off.

"Are you okay?" I asked not being able to stop the words or the worry behind them from coming out as I walked further into the room.

"I will be." She smiled sleepily. "Sorry. I didn't have a chance to tell you I wasn't gonna make it to your house tonight." She yawned. "Did Jacob tell you?"

I walked closer to her. "Yes, he told me." I looked at her and couldn't help my surprise when I saw her wearing the necklace I gave her. It made the knot in my stomach lessen but just a little.

"I was worried about you so I came."

"Tell him not to come." She looked past me and squinted her eyes.

"Why?" I asked confused. "He's your brother, and he's worried."

Her eyes semi-focused on me again, but something behind me had her attention. "Because it's just a broken leg. I'm not dying. And then my parents will ask questions, and I don't want them to know about... ya know... not yet." Her eyes focused on whatever was behind me again, and she squinted.

I turned my head to look behind me before looking back at her. "What are you squinting at?"

She pointed. "That picture on the wall. Who put a picture up of us?"

There wasn't a picture of us.

I walked closer to the bed. "Umm...Austen there isn't a picture of us up there."

She closed her eyes and smiled. "I like it. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy."

I shook my head. "I think that's the medicine making you feel all warm and fuzzy."

She opened her eyes and looked at me. She held her hand out to me. "Nope. It's you. You always make me feel happy."

I hesitated before taking her small hand in mine. I ran my thumb gently over her knuckles.

She closed her eyes again. "I'm happy you're here. Make sure you bring the picture home." It was only a few seconds before her breathing evened out and she was out.
My shoulders slumped as I kept holding her hand. I sat down in the chair next to the bed.

What was I going to do with her?

I sighed and pulled my phone out.

Me: Austen is insisting you not come. She's being stubborn.

Jacob: I'm just about to pull out of my driveway. Is she really okay?

Me: She's high on meds, going to be in a boot, and have to stay off her feet for a few days, but yes, she's fine..

Jacob: Who is going to take care of her for the next few days?

I looked at Austen before I ran a hand through my hair.

Me: I guess I will

Jacob: You sure about that?

Me: No, but she needs someone to look out for her. I'm the logical option since I live right by her now.

Jacob: My parents just got home. I need to go to tell them what's going on.

Me: she's going to be pissed. Lol.

Jacob: Oh well.

Me: See ya in a few hours then.

I looked back at Austen. This was going to be one hell of a few days.

**

I went to Austen's door when I heard a knock. Austen was sound asleep and had been since we left the hospital. The doctor and nurses were only able to wake her up enough to get her into her clothes and to sign the release papers. I took care of the rest. I opened the door and nodded to Austen's family.

"She's asleep in her room," I said once everyone was in.

Austen's dad shook my hand and her mom hugged me.

"We really appreciate you helping her out," her mom said giving me another squeeze.

I didn't know how to respond to that. Austen hadn't told her parents we weren't a thing anymore, so I knew better than to mention it. I smiled a little and nodded.

I was beyond exhausted. The last week I had slept very little. Between the stress of not knowing where Ellie was and Austen betraying me, I couldn't sleep. When I tried, I had nightmares about both of them.

Mr. Reeves took his wife's hand and they walked down the hall toward Austen's room.

Jacob was setting bags down. "We aren't staying long, just the night. This is some of Austen's things she left."

I sat down on the couch and ran a hand down my face.

"You like like hell," Jacob said as he sat down across from me in the recliner.

He looked toward the hall. "I'll go after they get out."

"I feel like hell," I said with a sad chuckle.

"I bet. You talk to her much or has she been out?"

"No. Most of what we talked about was her wanting me to talk you into not coming. And an imaginary picture of us on the wall." I laughed. "That's pretty much it before she fell asleep." I leaned my head back against the couch. "This is a fuckin' nightmare that just won't end."

"What's a nightmare?" Austen's mom asked as she walked into the living room.

I sat up and looked at her. I shouldn't be the one to tell Mrs. Reeves that Austen and I were over. That was Austen's place. I looked at Jacob for help before looking back at Mrs. Reeves.

"I miss Ellie." It was the truth and part of what made my life a nightmare at the moment.

"I know you do. You passed the home visit, though. So, that's great! Everything is headed in the right direction."

"Thank you for all your help. It means a lot to me."

"Of course! I'm gonna go cook dinner. I'm cooking baked potato soup. With it turning cold, I thought it'd be good. Austen loves it during late fall."

She waved at Jacob. "Come help me."

He scrunched his nose. "You should've brought Frieda."

She laughed. "Come on. You need to learn."

I looked at Mr. Reeves as he sat down on the couch next to me.

"Did you get my last report?"

He nodded but kept his eyes on me. "You look like hell, Aaron."

"That's what Jacob said." I shrugged. "I've been having trouble sleeping."

"Why?"

"I'm worried about Ellie. I'll sleep better when she's home." I stood. "I'm going to go get a shower. I'll be back." I needed out of that condo. I needed away before I suffocated. I left and headed toward the stairs just as Jacob caught up with me.

"Hey, can I come with you? I just spent two hours in the vehicle with my parents. I need to get away from them."

I smiled. "Yeah, that's fine, but I thought you had to help your mom cook."

He laughed. "Nah, she kicked me out when I pretended not to know how to peel a potato."

I smiled and shook my head. We headed up the stairs. "Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah."

"Austen hasn't told your parents we're not together?"

"No."

I rubbed my forehead. I had a killer headache.

"She's hanging onto hope that you'll take her back."

I didn't respond.

We walked into my place.

"Wow, this looks great, Aaron."

I looked around the room and nodded. "Austen picked everything out. Clay and I put it together. It's a miracle everything is actually sturdy since we were both drunk."

He laughed. "Yeeeeah. Clay is an obnoxious drunk."

"One who also streaks. Who does that?" I asked with a chuckle. "Does the bruise on his jaw look any better?" I asked with a smirk.

He laughed. "Nope."

I laughed. "I only feel a little bad about that."

I took my boots off and placed them by the door. "I'm going to take a quick shower. Make yourself at home." I looked at Jacob and saw his eyes were glued to a framed picture. It was one of Ellie, Austen, and I. His eyes scanned the room and widened in shock when he saw more pictures of her with me and Ellie.

"You can't deny how great you guys look together." He sat down on the couch and turned the TV on.

I cleared my throat and headed to my bathroom. I hoped a shower to release the muscles that were so tense in my shoulders. Finding out Austen got hurt had pushed the tension to a whole new level. I shook my head and pushed thoughts of Austen to the side. For now, anyway.

------------------

Austen

I was thankful Mom was here to help me shower before dinner. That would have been awkward for Aaron to have to do. We came into the kitchen where Dad, Aaron, and Jacob were talking at the table. I was sick of the crutches already. Jacob moved out the chair between him and Aaron.

I sat down and looked at Aaron.

"Hey," I said with a little smile.

"Hey. How are you feeling," he asked me quietly. I couldn't tell what he was thinking. He was completely guarded with me, and it hurt worse than the broke leg.

"It hurts, but I'm okay." I cleared my throat and looked at my mom who was fixing a bowl of soup for me. Dad was looking at me and Aaron oddly. 

Aaron looked at his watch, then pushed back from the table. He walked over and grabbed a bottle of medicine off the table. He came back over and handed it to me. "It's time for you to take another one." His tone lacked any emotion at all.

I avoided eye contact in fear of bursting into tears that this was who we were now. Nothing.

"Thanks." I took it and downed it with some water.

"O-kay. What the hell is going on?" Dad asked.

Aaron and I both looked at him and Mom.

"What?" I asked in mock-confusion.

He waved his hand at both of us. "This. You two. You're being weird."

Jacob starting eating, most likely to stuff his mouth so he couldn't tell me he told me so. He knew this would happen. He knew I couldn't keep it from them.

Aaron sighed heavily and rubbed his head with his hand.

I moved my spoon around in my bowl.

"Austen," Dad said firmly.

Aaron was the one who spoke up when he realized I wasn't going to say anything.

"Austen and I broke up," his voice was gruff and filled with emotion before he cleared his throat and looked down at his soup.

Tears fell from my eyes and into my bowl. It felt too official now that my parents knew and hearing Aaron say it.

"But... you two were doing so well I thought." Mom was majorly pouting.

Aaron stood up. "I should go." He looked at me. "Let me know when everyone leaves. I will come back to help you." He quickly left the condo.

Jacob was eating a piece of garlic bread. The room fell completely silent except for Jacob's obnoxious munching.

Dad kept his eyes on me. "Did Aaron break things off with you?" I could tell dad was getting angry. "Tell me what he did!"

More tears started to fall. "He didn't do anything wrong." I looked at Dad. "I did."

Dad's anger faded. "What did you do?" he asked, extremely confused. "I'm sure whatever it is you two can get past it. Couples fight."

It was crazy how much my parents loved Aaron and barely knew him. It took Dad almost a year to accept Clay and I being together. Mostly, because he knew Clay's dad and was afraid he turn out like him — which he was.

"I don't want to tell you," I said quietly.

"Austen," Mom spoke softly. "What happened, sweetie?"

"You already know Clay came here when Dad spilled the beans about Aaron and I. Well, Clay and I... we..." I couldn't say it. Not in front of my parents, especially, my dad. "We didn't exactly fix things, but I cheated on Aaron with zero intentions of doing that. It just happened."

Dad sat back in his chair in shock. "And he still came to the hospital and brought you home," he said in disbelief. "Which condo is his?" Dad stood and headed to the door.

Jacob got up and offered to show him. They both left the condo, leaving me alone with Mom.
I put my head in my hands.

"Aust-"

"Don't!" I yelled and looked at her. "Don't, Mom. I screwed up! I don't know how to fix this!"

She looked shocked that I yelled at her. She regained her composure and cleared her throat. "I love you. That's all I wanted to say."

"Liar." I huffed.

She laughed a little but then her expression turned dispirited again. "Austen, honey, what were you thinking? I know you have a long track of breaking hearts, but this is a whole new level of hurt. You've never cheated. Have you?"

I shook my head. "No. Mom, I don't know what I was thinking. Honestly, it's all a blur now. I just hated seeing how bad Clay was hurting because I care a lot for him. I guess I thought maybe if I gave him hope, something to grasp, he'd stop yelling and not hate me. I love Clay. I just don't love him like I love Aaron. Clay is one of my best friends. Aaron... I could see myself marrying."

"Oh, honey." She came over to me and hugged me. I felt her kiss the top of my head. "You eat. I need to go check on your father and make sure he isn't making Aaron uncomfortable. I'll be right back."

I didn't answer. I just stared at my food until I heard the door close.

It didn't take long and the door was opening again with Mom practically pushing Dad back into the condo. Jacob was laughing as he came through the door.

I found none of this funny.  I hated myself.

"What? I wasn't doing anything?" Dad said innocently.

Jacob laughed harder. "I've never seen anyone's face as red as his was, Dad."

"I'm glad all of you can find humor in this." I got up from the table with great difficulty. I got the crutches situated under my arms and started to hobble to my room.

Jacob quickly moved in front of me. "Don't get that tone with me, Austen. If you had seen Aaron's face you would have laughed, too."

"Did you know he has pictures of you all over that place?" Dad asked with a smile.

Jacob closed his eyes and shook his head. "Dad we talked about this. You weren't supposed to tell her anything."

"She's as stubborn as I am. If we wait on her to fix things it will never happen." Dad let out a startled laugh. "Damn. I just realized something. Austen is me and Aaron is your mother."

"Now, I'm just offended. I do plan on fixing things."

Jacob rolled his eyes. "Really now? And how's that going for ya?"

"It's been five days. Jacob, you told me to give him time to cool down. I was going there tonight to try and then ended up in the hospital." I was fuming at this point.

"Good." He put his hands on my shoulders. "Now, you should be resting that leg." He grinned at me.

"Get them out of here," I whispered. "and remind me to kill you later for telling them."

He burst out laughing. "I will, and you'll have to catch me first, hobb-a-long."

"I completely hate your guts right now."

He kissed my cheek. "No you don't. You love me."

We got to my room, and he helped me into bed. I watched as he leaned my crutches against the wall near my side of the bed.

"I was worried about you, Austen. That's why I told Mom and Dad. I didn't want you to be alone."

"I told you I was fine."

"Yes, but you forget that I know you. Fine is never a good thing when you use it. If you were truly fine, you'd say you were good or okay. Fine is what you use when you want to be left alone, but you're in a lot of pain."

"It does hurt," I said in a pout. I laid my head back and sighed heavily. "Not as bad as my heart, though."

"Both will get better with time." He kissed my forehead. "I'll get our parents out of your hair. Call me if you need me or just want to talk."

I grabbed his hand before he could walk off. "I love you, little brother. And I'm so proud of you. You're really growing up."

"I love you, too, and I guess you can thank Kim for that."

I smiled a sleepily. "I need to meet her."

"Maybe I can bring her here soon. Now, get some rest."

"I'd like that." I yawned. I shifted until I was comfortable. "It's late. You guys should just stay here tonight. Will you stay with Aaron tonight? Make sure he sleeps."

He covered me up. "I'll do my best."

"Can you hand me the remote?"

He nodded and got it for me. He handed it over before leaving my room.

I turned on the TV and found Gilmore Girls on Netflix. If I was going to have to lay in this bed, I might as well binge watch my favorite show. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

231K 7.9K 35
She showed him a life he never thought he'd have.
189 3 22
She forgot how to love but remembered how to fight. He disregarded where I've been and made who I am.
3.1K 197 17
She's everything he hated. He's everything she ever wanted to be. She may be the queen, but he's had her on checkmate.
Psycho By F

Romance

643K 15.2K 50
Looking at her, looking at the way she eats, the way she walks, the way she breathes. I want her. I need her. And I will have her.