DETERMINATION | Book One

By urbancreations

Works #1: Ahmad Hassan Sinclair, 25, was taught to always fight and work hard for what he wanted. In the life... More

T R A I L E R
D E T E R M I N A T I O N
C H A P T E R 2
C H A P T E R 3
C H A P T E R 4
C H A P T E R 5
C H A P T E R 6
C H A P T E R 7
C H A P T E R 8
C H A P T E R 9
C H A P T E R 10
C H A P T E R 11
C H A P T E R 12
C H A P T E R 13
C H A P T E R 14
C H A P T E R 15
C H A P T E R 16
C H A P T E R 17
C H A P T E R 18
C H A P T E R 19
C H A P T E R 20
C H A P T E R 21
C H A P T E R 22
C H A P T E R 23
C H A P T E R 24
C H A P T E R 25
C H A P T E R 26
C H A P T E R 27
C H A P T E R 28
C H A P T E R 29
C H A P T E R 30
C H A P T E R 31
C H A P T E R 32
C H A P T E R 33
C H A P T E R 34
C H A P T E R 35
C H A P T E R 36
C H A P T E R 37
C H A P T E R 38
C H A P T E R 39
C H A P T E R 40
C H A P T E R 41
C H A P T E R 42
C H A P T E R 43
C H A P T E R 44
C H A P T E R 45
E P I L O G U E
B O N U S C H A P T E R 1
B O N U S C H A P T E R 2
Thank you everybody!
New STORY Alert

C H A P T E R 1

138K 5.5K 12.5K
By urbancreations

C H A P T E R

O N E

     Ahmad sat behind his desk looking at a few of his tattoo designs he drew the following night. Examining the drawings he bit his lip wondering if they really met his taste and liking.

Ahmad was his own biggest critic, something he could have drew could be amazing but in his mind he break it down piece by piece and find ways to hate it.

In his head he knew he could have done better work but he also knew one of his clients would like it either way.

Shrugging the thoughts off and pushing them to back of his mind, he placed the drawings back into his folder neatly, then stood up from his desk to go open up his shop for the day.

Leaving out his office he played with the keys in his hands bobbing his head to an unknown tune, making noises with his mouth completely oblivious to his workers being there already.

They all respected and loved Ahmad like family, but they also worried about him a lot too. All he did was work, he didn't go out much .. well scratch that he didn't go out at all. He stayed to himself, never let anyone inside that mind of his and was real quiet and closed off. He laughed here and there, made a joke or two but that's about it.

You got nothing else from him, a smile was really rare so people never knew if he was upset or not and even if he was .. you wouldn't know.

He came off mean because of the way he looked and the natural mug that rested on his face but once you got to be around him you saw he wasn't mean at all, unless you got him to that point but nobody ever has.

Some people even think he's crazy because of the looks he gives people and how he can easily read folks before they can even utter a word. It was something he picked up on as a kid.

But no one truly knew that Ahmad was like this all for a reason.

Growing up he came in contact with a lot of people. He instantly knew who the real and fake were by the vibes he got, in a way he felt he was blessed with a gift since he could sense a person's true intentions before they revealed them.

That was until .. he met this special young lady.

Chanel..

She was the only person he let in, which in his mind was the biggest mistake he could've ever made. But it was like he couldn't read her, everything felt authentic to him when it came to her. He gave this girl his heart, he opened up to her .. he trusted her. He felt the two were going to be forever but that dream ended when she broke the trust and his heart.

The words "I love you," left her lips so easily as if she meant them but sadly she didn't. She saw Ahmad as a meal ticket, she knew first glance he was going to be somebody and wanted to hop on that train. But what she failed to realize was that Ahmad would have done anything to keep her happy, he would've gave her his last breath if he had too.

But she was in the relationship for all the wrong reasons, she was using him for his money, looks and status. Ahmad was known around the neighborhood because he played football and was pretty good at it. She loved that about him too, plus she loved braggin' to folks about how he was her man and her man only but was creepin' on the low with his bestfriend..

That incident changed Ahmad, he vowed to never trust a woman or person period again and he did just that.

He cared for his workers and some of the peope around him but far as trust that was nonexistent. He hated depending on people to only be let down so he was always one step ahead of the game.

Using his key to unlock the doors so his clients for the day could enter and flipping on the open sign switch, he looked outside up at the clouds seeing how cloudy it was as the sun was still shining but something in him told him it wasn't going to be a pretty day.

"It might rain today .. I see." He mumbled to himself.

Turning around he paused seeing his workers watching him intently. "What's up, how long y'all been here?"

"We came in right after you but you had your headphones in when we tried calling your name .. you seemed upset so we decided not to bother you." Melissa one of his tattoo artists spoke up for everybody.

"Oh nah, I'm fine." Sending them a short tight smile their way he headed back to his office.

When he was out of sight all the workers looked at each other sighing. They really wanted to know the things that went on his mind.

They knew something was bothering him but they also knew he would never speak to them about it either. "I love Ahmad, but I really think he suffers with depression."

"Or he just don't fuck with you." Marcus his bestfriend spoke up.

He was the only person who sorta knew Ahmad on that level but even then he didn't know that much.

But one thing he did hate was when people automatically assumed something was wrong with him.

In his eyes Ahmad was perfectly fine, he was just more so on the quiet side. He spoke when he needed to, if he didn't have to he wasn't going to.

Marcus actually liked that about Ahmad, people who talked too much such as Melissa erked him.

Melissa was the type to try and figure out folks, and her mission was to figure out who Ahmad really was behind that hard exterior.

"He does fuck with me so shut up, but I mean he comes in here everyday giving us short ass greetings .. I mean we work for him and he can't even give us a proper greeting. I just think its rude. Like we ain't gotta be here."

"And I think you need to shut tha fuck up, and if you ain't gotta be here there's the door right there. Better be glad he even speaks at all. I know Ahmad, and him speaking is enough cause he could walk around this bitch and not say anything then you'd really be mad."

"She's just upset he ain't kissing her ass like everybody else does." Shaun another one of the workers spoke up laughing.

Even though he was joking, it was the truth.

Melissa was a very attractive woman, dark rich chocolate skin, that glo'd in the sunlight, she stood five foot three inches tall, slim curvy figure with wild curly hair, dark brown bambi eyes and plump lips that just made you want to kiss them.

She was used to men automatically flinging to her, trying to get at her, but when Ahmad never tried it made her intrigued by him. She felt everyman wanted her, and for Ahmad to show no interest only made her want him more.

She thought when he hired her, that he was checking for her, cause he kept looking at her breast. But in his mind he was thinking she needed to cover that shit up, he felt dressing raunchy at a interview was unprofessional. He only hired her because of her work, but she thought otherwise, simply because she was surely checking for him and assumed the feeling was mutal but she got that wake up call that was he not interested on the first day of work.

She tried pushing up on him, and dressing very revealing to get his attention but he straight dissed her. Acted as if he didn't even notice the shorts she wore and the tight shirt that pushed her boobs up.

He knew to never mix business with pleasure, it caused nothing but drama and he honestly didn't need none of that right now in his life. But he also had a huge dislike towards females like Melissa, the ones who are so into themselves and feel as if the world owes them shit.

Those type of bitches erked his soul.

Hitting Shaun's arm, she frowned. "That's not true either so shut up as well, I just really think he needs to work on how he interacts with people."

"You're the only one who has a problem with what he does .. everyone else is cool with it. He pays us good, he makes sure we're comfortable .. he treats us to lunch sometimes and will easily let us call off no matter the situation. He barely has any rules besides being on time, keeping our stations clean and respecting his shop. Instead of bitching about him not speaking, give him credit for being a good ass boss." Marcus snapped growing annoyed with Melissa and her mouth.

Getting up from the lounge area he walked to his station to start prepping for his client. He was so close to just going off on Melissa but he knew Ahmad hated confrontation so he dismissed himself before things took a turn.

Melissa and him have had plenty of arguments, but he knew if she kept talking he'd eventually hurt her feelings and the last thing they needed was tension in the shop.

Ahmad overheard the whole conversation, making a mental note to sit down and talk with Melissa, he closed his journal smiling to himself, he did appreciate how Marcus defended him, but that was nothing new.

The two been kicking it since sand box days and even then Marcus always had his back, which is why as soon as he opened his shop Killa Ink, he gave him a job.

Getting up from his desk, he made his way to Marcus station knocking twice to get his attention.

Looking up from his task at hand, he sat it down wondering what he wanted. "Sup nigga,"

"What's up, whatchu doing?"

"Get ready for a client, you straight?" Marcus assumed he had overheard what Melissa aggy ass was saying and hoped it didn't bother him too much.

"I'm good, I just heard the conversation up there .. and wanted to say I appreciate you for defending me. Bitches stay worrying about shit that don't concern them."

Marcus smirked. "Hey we all know that's how Melissa duck ass is, plus we all know she checking for you, she tryna figure out why you ain't checking for her."

"I could make a whole list as to why I'm not interested, but she'd probably quit her job."

"It ain't shit to replace her goofy ass."

"Yeah true, but she is a dope ass tattoo artist so I'll keep her around but I really just came to say thanks, I'll let you continue to get ready for ya client."

"It ain't nothing man, this ain't the first time and damn sho' won't be the last. You my son, so if they disrespectin' you .. they disrespectin' me."

Ahmad laughed and nodded. "Shut up nigga, you tryna go to lunch with me today though? On me."

"Hell yeah, especially sinces its on you."

"Alright bet, be ready at one .."

Marcus nodded and continued cleaning off his tools. When Ahmad went to walk out, Marcus bit his lip wondering if he should ask Ahmad this question.. he knew he had to watch what he said to him sometimes, not wanting to step on any toes.

"Um .. Ahmad, wait." He called out stopping him, "You still be having those dreams?"

Tensing up at the thought of the dreams he's been having lately, he slowly nodded. "Yeah but we'll discuss that later ..don't really feel like getting into that right now."

Marcus simply nodded taking that for an answer, he knew the dreams were probably the cause of his mood today and decided to pry later on the topic.

Walking out of Marcus station he continued his journey to the front of the shop.

Walking to his receptionist desk, he greeted her with a warm smile. She immediately began pulling up what clients he had today.

She knew the only time he came up to her desk was to know his schedule or to have her order food for everybody other than that he never came up there. She made the mistake thinking he came to conversate one time, and embarrassed herself.

"You have a 10:30, 2:15, 5:00, and 8:00 today."

"Alright, thank you."

Checking the time on his watch he cursed under his breath seeing that it was near the time for his clients arrival.

By time he was done getting everything set up his client had entered. He stared at the petite white woman sending her a short smile. Trying his best to be polite. "What can I do for you today?" He asked wiping down his seat with an alcohol wipes.

The girl was so caught up in admiring Ahmad, that she heard nothing and that immediately annoyed him. Snapping his fingers she snapped out of the daze blushing in embarrassment.

"I'm sorry, I'm um Megan." She smiled reaching for a handshake.

Shaking her hand, he nodded. "Ahmad, now back to what's important .. what can I do for you today?"

"Oh yeah right, um I want to get my dads name tatted on me. He passed away a few days ago and I want to get his name like tatted and have like roses and other designs around his name. He really meant a lot to me.

"Sorry for your loss, and may he rest in peace .. what's his name?"

"Thank you and Harold Jenkins."

"Where do you want this at?"

"On the back of my right shoulder."

"Alright bet, give me a few minutes to sketch this up, here's the remote change the tv to whatever you wanna watch to pass time."

She took the remote as she took her seat. "Um, I'd rather just talk to you to pass time .. if that's cool."

Ahmad chuckled scratching at his beard, "Whatever makes you comfortable."

"Cool, so what made you get into doing tattoos?"

"I loved to draw and decided to turn a hobby of mine into a career."

She nodded. "I like to sing, not sure if I should make a career out of it though."

"Hm do what you feel is right."

Biting his lip, he eyed the paper wondering how he wanted to design this tattoo. As if a switch went right on cue, a design came to his mind and he began sketching it.

"That's true, are you from around here?"

"Yeah,"

"Me too, what area?"

Looking up at the girl, he knew she probably came from a wealthy family and he knew once the words third ward left his lips she'd make that certain face everyone makes.

"Where do you think?" He asked sorta curious as to what she was gonna say.

"Hm third ward, not trying to be racist or stereotypical but most blacks are from that area, since you guys are a poor community.. and I don't mean to pry but I'm sure you had a hard life .. but how did you make it through especially as a black man? Trust me I understand you guys pain and what you guys go through."

Chuckling to himself he sat the marker down, "You understand? How? You ain't never been discrimminated by the color of your skin, or harrassed by cops simply because you're white. You probably never been turned down by multiple jobs simply because your were a strong white woman. You don't understand shit cause you ain't never been in my shoes or other black men like me shoes and also how do you know I had a hard life? What if I was from the northside living in a gated community, with the cut grass and two story homes but I guess my people can't afford to live like that huh? and sorry you are being racist."

"You had to make it a race thing.."

"You made it a race thing with the first thing that came out your mouth but since you are so interested in my life let me tell you a little about myself .. I am from third ward but just because thats the area I was born in .. didn't mean shit was just hard like it was the slums or some shit but it wasn't that easy either, my siblings and I had everything we needed, an education, loving parents, and hunger to strive. But you wouldn't know anything about this Ms. Silverplatter. It's a lot of successful black people out here, who never even touched or seen a hood."

"I didn't mean to offend yo-"

"Well you did, now look I don't mind talking well actually I do but get out my personal business .. I don't know you so stay in your lane please. And while you at it hop up out my chair and see yo way out. Ion tolerate disrespect especially towards myself and my people."

Meagan nodded her head, sorta feeling bad, but she felt it was the truth about what she said. Getting off the chair she grabbed her purse then looked back to see Ahmad paying no attention to her.

"I'm sorry,"

"I'm sorry you're a ignorant piece of shit too, now get out."

Scoffing, she rolled her eyes and walked out. "I will never return here or recommend you to my friends."

"Don't want you here anyways, and if they're anything like you I damn sho' don't want them here."

When she finally left, Ahmad sighed knowing today was gonna be a shitty day. He woke up to bullshit, he feels like shit and now he dealing with some racist shit.

Reaching inside his desk drawer, he grabbed a bottle of water gulping it down before tossing it in the trash.

Since he had time to waste, he decided to take that time to check inventory and make sure everything was in tact and that he didn't need to order anything new.

When his phone vibrated, he grabbed it out his pocket instantly rolling his eyes at the message.

Taking a deep breath, he calmed himself down just waiting for the day to end already.

-

Sticking his key into his door he twisted it then pushed the door open with his foot since his hands were full with groceries.

Sitting them all on his bar, he took a seat taking a deep breath finally glad to be home after the long stressful day he encountered.

When he heard his bedroom door open he instantly became alert reaching for his gun in the lamp stand drawer,

Cocking the gun, he made his way to the hallway and jumped once he seen it was his mama, tucking the gun in the back of jeans he sighed. "Ma', I gave you a key for emergencies why are you here?"

Waving him off she walked to his kitchen outting up his groceries for him. "This is an emergency, you have no one to cook you a home cooked meal since you can't seem to settle down, so its my job to make sure my baby boy is fee."

"We not doing this, I eat and I cook for myself. I don't need a woman to do something I already can do."

She rolled her eyes. "What we gon' do is dismiss this talk, you're twenty-five .. successful, young and handsome. There is someone out there perfect for you waiting on you to come into their life, I know that Chanel girl hurt you but you can't let her have this much control over you."

"She ain't got control over shit! I'm good and I don't need no damn girlfriend, I'm happy alone."

"You better watch your damn mouth when you talking to me, I know that! I am not Marcus, you will respect me. Getting mad every time I mention the word girlfriend is getting old. You are not happy no matter how hard you try to force yourself to believe that. Ever since she hurt you .. you haven't been the same. And as your mother its my job to heal you when you are hurting. You haven't let go of what happened, you're still holding onto that shit, but you will never be happy if you don't."

Ahmad sat at the bar with his head down not saying anything. Feeling her touch his arm, he looked up at her as she smiled. "I don't know what goes through that big head of yours, but I do worry about you .. a lot. I know we didn't give you guys the best life and I hate myself for that. You all witnessed things that no child should never be expose too and it changed you."

"I take blame for making you the cold-hearted man you are today .. as a parent, I should've done better. But baby please listen to me .. use that determination and strive you have in your blood to be happy for once in your life. Let go of all the pain and sorrows you faced, let go of the past and just live for the future .. live everyday like its your last okay? Can you do that for me?"

Feeling his eyes burn, he hugged her just as she cried. "It ain't yo fault." He mumbled into her shoulder.

Ahmad never put the blame on his parents for how he turned out. His parents didn't make him cold-hearted, people he thought was family and friends did.

They were the reasons he was so bitter today.

But in the back of Ahmad's mind was what his mama said about striving to be happy .. happy was something he never felt these days, but he did always hope he could feel it one day though.

-

so like whatchu think?

excuse any mistakes .. didn't proof read 😭 i will later tho!

but please leave a vote & comment, it would be very much appreciated.
- Denise 💕

Until next time ... on dragon ball Z 😏

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

281 13 10
Egypt is a twenty-one year old college student straight from out of Houston, TX. Being that her mother was murdered at the age of five that left her...
9.8K 99 7
(SAMPLE ONLY - FULL BOOK COMING SOON TO AMAZON!) Jay never let anyone get close, save the few he called family but even they could only get so far. R...
8.9M 338K 39
Needs editing and will be editing soon Alexis Miller is a 23 year old who is freshly out of college. She was hired right on the spot, when the owner...
505K 13.6K 37
"Get away from me."I took her soft hands from my chest and pinned them on the wall.I closed the gap between us but our lips didn't meet.She looked in...