Save Me || Bucky Barnes

By elle_ella14

Charlotte Rogers had always been close to her older brother, Steve, and his best friend, Bucky. But what will... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
44
45
46
47
48
INFINITY WAR TRAILER
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
A Little Update
59

43

11.5K 259 28
By elle_ella14

While Sam and Bucky were both busy helping each other get the third and final chip into the last helicarrier, Steve headed back up to the control room to assist Maria. His main goal was to protect her from attackers or help her with the computers if she needed it.

When he got up to the control room, he tapped lightly on the door with his knuckles before announcing that it was him. 

"Come in then." Maria muttered from behind the door. As Steve walked in, Maria was already sitting back down and tucking her gun back into her belt.

"What are you doing up here?" Maria continued to say as Steve set his shield against the wall closest to him.

"I figured you could use some company. Plus I figured Sam and Bucky had everything under control. It's not like I can get onto the third helicarrier now and help them." Steve shrugged as he pulled up a chair next to Maria, who also shrugged and continued doing what she was doing before.

Not even five minutes later, Sam was shouting Bucky's name from the top of his lungs.

"What the hell is going on?" Maria grumbled as both her and Steve's attention turned towards the windows. They couldn't see anything, but they knew something was happening. For a few agonizing seconds, they continued to sit in absolute silence, neither one daring to breath.

Then, after a while, they saw someone plummet off the third helicarrier.

"Who is that?" Maria asked, scared of the answer.

"It's Sam, I'm pretty sure it's Sam." Steve answered frantically as he rushed to the window to get a better look. As soon as he saw the parachute floating through the air, he knew for a fact it was Sam so he turned around and told Maria.

"Damn good thing he has a parachute then." she commented before she turned around to keep track of the countdown and the helicarrier's position.

"Bucky? Barnes, come in. Are you okay?" Sam could be heard over the comm system as soon as he hit the ground. Steve waited anxiously by the window, waiting for a response from the brunette.

"Yeah, I'm here. I'm still on the helicarrier." Bucky responded a few seconds later. Steve closed his eyes and let out a sigh of relief as he pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and middle finger.

"He's gonna give me a hernia one of these days." Steve muttered quietly to himself before he walked over to Maria and sat down beside her again. He ignored their conversation as he turned his attention towards the monitors.

"Isn't that Rumlow?" Steve asked, pointing to a figure on the screen that moved rapidly through the halls, taking out anything and anyone they saw.

"I'm not sure, but I would assume so." Maria responded before the radio Maria took from one of the HYDRA technicians crackled to life for the first time in a while.

"Sir, Council's been breached." 

"Repeat, dispatch." a male voice responded. Steve looked at Maria as if to say "I told you it was him." Maria rolled her eyes as she focused her attention back to what they were saying.

"Black Widow's up there." HYDRA dispatch stated.

"Headed up!" Rumlow responded before turning tail and heading towards the stairs. Steve shared a worried look with Maria before she nodded her head and asked for Sam over the comms.

"Yeah?" he replied.

"Rumlow's headed for the Council." she stated, hoping he got the message.

"I'm on it." Sam replied before the comms went silent again.

"You know, I could have handled Rumlow. We're probably closer to his location that Sam is." Steve pointed out, swiveling in his chair to face Maria.

"Yes, I know. But what if Barnes needs your help with the Winter Soldier? I don't want you to be tied up with Rumlow and then drop the fight to help Barnes." Maria counter argued without taking her gaze off the screen. Steve rolled his eyes, but knew she was right.

He would do anything, drop anything, if Bucky needed help with his sister. He so badly wanted to be there right now, helping him, but it wasn't really his fight. Sure, she was his sister, but if anyone was going to convince her she was doing the wrong thing, it would be Bucky. He was always better at persuading her to do something.

Steve remembered after he got he serum, Charlotte just casually told him that she was going to be combat training with Peggy. He tried to tell her no, to convince her that it was a bad idea, but she was stubborn and did it anyways. If she still had any of her personality left, he knew she would do the exact opposite of what he asked if he was up there with her now.

Suddenly, Maria's phone buzzed, startling Steve out of his reminiscing. 

"What is it?" Steve asked, peering over Maria's shoulder.

"Romanoff did it. She leaked all of HYDRA's files. And now it's trending." Maria stated as she looked over all the files.

"Trending? What does that mean?" Steve asked, tilting his head to the side as a confused expression washed over his face.

"I'll explain later." Maria sighed, although she let a small smile tug at the corners of her mouth. Then, the HYDRA hand radio sparked to life as Alexander Pierce casually asked the helicarrier technicians a question. 

"Sixty-five seconds to satellite link. Target re-engaged. Lowering weapons array now." one of them reported back. Maria ushered Steve out of the way as she slid down the board towards Charlie's control system.

"One minute." she warned Bucky. Anxiously, both her and Steve watched the clock countdown.

"Thirty seconds, Barnes!" Maria warned. By now, Steve was up and pacing the room. He knew Bucky should have had it replaced by now. He had no idea what was taking him this long, unless he couldn't convince Charlotte of anything. 

The clock reached ten seconds.

"Cap..." Maria spoke fearfully, gaining his attention and getting him to stop pacing.

Five seconds.

"Dammit." Steve muttered, scared for the first time in a long time. 

Zero.

Maria and Steve shared a horrified look. They both turned to look at the destruction that would rain down upon innocent citizens. But nothing happened. Instead, Bucky's voice sounded over the comm.

"Charlie locked."

Maria and Steve both let out a sigh of relief upon hearing his voice. Neither of them wanted to lose him for different reasons. Maria simply thought he was a good ally. Steve on the other hand, well, he would have lost both his best friend and his sister that day.

"Okay, Barnes, get out of there." Maria instructed as she slid in front of Steve to arrange the helicarriers to face each other instead of civilians. 

"Fire now." Bucky muttered hoarsely. Steve's eyes widened as he stared at Maria. His jaw dropped slightly and a mixed look of terror, confusion, and hurt crossed over his face.

"What? What did he just say?" Steve managed to say in barely more than a whisper. His hands gesticulated wildly as he struggled to grasp the severity of what was happening. Maria took in Steve's current state and tried to persuade Bucky away from his decision.

"But Barnes..." she began to say, but was cut off by Bucky.

"Do it! Do it now!" he yelled as loud as he could.

"No! Maria, don't you dare do it!" Steve threatened from across the room. Maria stared at Steve for a split second before she darted towards the button. Steve acted on instinct and attempted to block her from hitting it. 

But he was too late.

"HOW COULD YOU!" Steve shrieked before he crumpled to the floor, his head in his hands. Maria stared at him in shock. Tears ran uncontrollably down his face when he lifted it up to look out the window. His hands ran through his hair, haphazardly pulling up strands as he grieved. 

"I'm sorry, Steve. I had to do it," Maria apologized quietly, "But we have to get out of here."

"No, you go on. I'm gonna go look for him." Steve replied absentmindedly. He picked up his shield and, with one last look at the helicarriers destroying each other, ran out of the room. Maria watched him go on the monitors for a few seconds before she grabbed everything she needed, including Steve's mask that he left behind on the desk, and followed him out of the building.

Outside, Steve frantically glanced up at the helicarriers, searching for any sign of his best friend. To his horror, the helicarriers had already collided while he was making his way outside and he was just in time to see two of them crash to the ground, sending water and sparks flying.

"No! Goddammit, Bucky! Buck where are you?" he called out. He knew there was a minuscule chance he would find Bucky, but he was not going to give up until he found his best friend, dead or alive.

Deliriously, Steve searched for his partner in crime. As he ran down the bank of the Potomac river, he caught a glimpse of blonde hair. He slowed down from his sprint to stop and look. Maybe by finding Charlotte, he could somehow get her to tell him what happened to Bucky. To his surprise, he watched her drag an unconscious Bucky out of the river to the opposite bank side.

Steve bolted from where he stopped and tried to find the quickest way across the river. He hoped he would get there in time to stop Charlotte from leaving so they could help her, but he didn't have any such luck. By the time he got to Bucky's side, she was long gone.

"Dammit, Buck, what did she do to you?" Steve murmured quietly as he kneeled beside Bucky.

"She beat me up good, that's what she did." Bucky spluttered hoarsely. Steve looked down at him in shock before he helped him into a sitting position.

"Don't move, I'm gonna get you some help." Steve placed his hands firmly against Bucky's shoulders and held him in place.

"Did you find her? How...how did I even get here?" Bucky asked as he finally took in his surroundings.

"She saved you, she pulled you out of the river so you wouldn't drown I suppose. But I was on the other side of the river when she pulled you out so by the time I got here, she was gone." Steve summarized for Bucky while simultaneously trying to get a hold of Sam.

"Rogers, thank God you're alright. Where are you?" Sam finally answered.

"With Bucky down on the riverbank. He's beat up pretty bad and I don't know if I should move him." 

"Hang tight, we're on our way." Sam replied before hanging up. By the time Steve hung up with Sam, Bucky had passed out and collapsed back onto the muddy bank.

"Dammit, Buck."  

~

Hellooooooo. I hope you all enjoy this chapter! If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115 0 31
Steve Rogers discovers that his long-time friend and Bucky's wife, is still alive.
342 21 14
This is a Roman-Rogers ship story. Pretty much everything before civil war stays the same, and Natasha and Steve sort of have feeling for each other...
2.1K 86 28
Jordan has lost her family. The only people she has had for years is her friend Kelly and now her 'brother' Steve. Yes Steve as in captain america, b...
173K 5.5K 36
❝I don't fear monsters anymore. I have been surrounded by them for so long that I have become one myself.❞ ❝ You could never be a monster to me. ❞ ...