The Catalyst

By kittersummers

In a politically volatile kingdom, Noah is tasked with finding the catalyst, a magical artifact rumored to gr... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
A Tale of Two Knights
The Winter Elf Princess
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Thank You for Reading
Sequel

Chapter 31

1.3K 152 5
By kittersummers

Later that evening, a servant informed Noah that the king wished to see him. After asking her for directions, Noah made his way to the third floor of the keep. He found Jaden outside his chambers, with various books, statues, and paintings cluttering the hallway.

"Good evening, mighty king," Noah said. "Should I bow?"

Jaden actually grimaced. Noah didn't think he'd ever seen his face do that before.

"What are you up to?" Noah asked.

"Redecorating." Jaden disappeared back inside, then came out holding a painting of Tessa Nightvale, which he leaned against the wall with the others.

Noah said, "I can see why."

Jaden gazed at the mess. "I'll have servants put them in some other chambers, or perhaps distribute them to whoever fancies such things, or—"

"Burn them?" Noah offered.

"Or that."

Then Jaden invited him inside. Noah didn't mind the lack of decoration, although the empty bookshelves did look rather sad. Noah approached the window. Dark blue curtains were drawn back to reveal an almost full moon that shone over the city beyond the castle's wall. When Noah turned back around, Jaden was holding up a black coat.

"Do you like it?"

The pure black fabric felt very soft when Noah touched the sleeve. It seemed finely-made and warm. Noah chuckled in surprise when he noticed the design in silver embroidery adorning one shoulder.

"Would be nice to see you in something other than your army's black-and-golds for once," Noah said. "But people might wonder why there's a spider web on your shoulder."

Jaden laughed. "You're quite silly. It's for you. Try it on."

At a loss for words, Noah shrugged on the coat. The fit was slim and perfect. This was by far the best quality he'd ever worn.

"I found a tailor with a taste for eccentric designs," Jaden explained.

Noah barely heard him though, because he felt the round metal tips of his throwing knives against his side. He opened the coat and there they were, all six knives secured in oblique slots, doubled in leather to protect the wearer.

"I told him to add that . . . and the spider web," he admitted.

Noah's throat tightened with emotion as he slid out a knife and its sharp edge caught the moonlight. "You even cleaned them?"

"Well, a servant did it for me," Jaden said. "I was doing it myself, but I got caught and then she wouldn't let me finish. Some of the servants actually scare me."

"I don't know what to say."

Jaden smiled. "I wanted to thank you . . . for what you did for Matt. For me."

"What are you talking about?"

"I saw his wound, Noah." Jaden's smile faded. "And with how much blood he'd lost, there's no way he could've survived long enough for me to get there. Not without your help."

"Well, it wasn't enough . . ."

"You did what you could," Jaden said firmly. "We got to say goodbye." He cleared his throat and looked up at the moon. Seemed like he didn't want to talk about it anymore.

Noah flipped the knife in his palm to hold it by the blade, and handed it to Jaden.

Jaden chuckled. "Don't make yourself short of a knife just because you feel you owe me a gift."

"No seriously, I want you to have it. Put it in an ankle strap. You'll thank me someday." When Jaden still hesitated, Noah said, "Dharkan works at a blacksmith's shop. He can make me another."

"So you people do have real professions," Jaden teased, but he did accept the knife.

"It turns out that dark magic doesn't put food on the table or pay the taxes."

"Imagine that."

"Well," Noah said, "I should get some rest. We're heading back tomorrow morning."

Jaden twiddled the knife between his fingers. "To bring the catalyst to your cult leader?"

"Yeah."

"Let me know if he ends up using it. I've become quite curious now."

"I will."

Jaden took a deep breath, and held Noah's gaze. "Listen, I don't know how long this will last, me being king. Gods, it still sounds so ridiculous . . . But if it does last, and you ever find yourself in need of a place to stay . . . I hear the knife throwing expert position is available."

Noah couldn't hold back a grin. "Noted."

***

At the first light of dawn, Noah retrieved Shadow from the stables. Nearby a horse trainer was already at work in a wide fenced circle of trampled ground. Noah watched as the young stallion tossed his head and reared. You had to admire the self-control of the trainer who remained in the saddle the whole time.

Dharkan was already mounting Xephos and waited by the gates with Kitera, who was on foot.

"Cute jacket," Dharkan said when Noah joined them.

Noah's gaze hovered on Xephos as the tall black horse stared at him intently. Xephos' weirdness had never bothered him before, but now he was reminded of Kili's ominous words. They're not what they seem.

He shook it off and glanced at Kitera. "You're not coming?"

She shook her head. Noah looked away and patted Shadow's greying coat. He did a final check of the girths, saddle, and bag straps, then made to hop on, but Kitera put her hand on his arm.

"Could we talk?"

Without a word, Noah gave Shadow's reins to Dharkan.

"Don't make me wait too long," Dharkan warned. "We're already a day late!"

Noah walked beside Kitera, an awkward silence stretching between them. They passed the stables and reached the kennels, from which came the occasional bark.

Kitera stopped and crossed her arms. "We put Tessa's dogs here yesterday. They cried so much, it broke my heart." When Noah stayed silent, Kitera sighed. "I . . . I'm sorry."

Noah sighed too. "It's not going to be that easy."

"I thought I was doing the right thing."

"You lied to me," Noah said. "Since that first night at the Traveler's Nest, you've been lying to my face."

"Yeah well, Jaden lied too."

"Gods' sakes, Kitera, do you even hear yourself? Jaden's not my childhood friend – you are."

"I hated lying to you," she said fiercely.

"Really? You were good at it, though. And here I thought Bryani was the actor in the family."

She shook her head, dark brown eyes glistening. "You still don't get it. This is bigger than you and me. I was trying to prevent my father from getting his hands on this catalyst. I don't know what he wants with it and I'm terrified."

"It's fine, Kitera. You were on Tessa's side the whole time and pretending to be on ours. I just wish you'd trusted me enough to come clean."

Kitera wiped under one eye, slightly smudging the kohl. "You know what Tessa told me the first time we met? The more you deny someone their potential, the more they go and seek it elsewhere. And she was right. After all my father's condescending bullshit, Tessa's faith in me was so refreshing! But I was naive, I see that now. I thought she was perfect – I wanted her to be perfect."

It made sense, and Noah really wished she would've told him all that a week ago. Because right now he couldn't get past his anger.

"You gave her my letter. She had my mother arrested and thrown in the dungeons where she remained for days. She'd still be down there if her cell hadn't been next to Jaden's. Clearly Tessa didn't have that much faith in you if she felt the need to have leverage on me."

"I didn't know she would do that, you have to believe me!" Kitera pleaded.

Noah glanced away. "Even if I believe you, it doesn't change what happened."

He turned to walk away, but she held him back again. "Wait. Hear me about about my father, at least. I sent Red to the house and he came back with a note from Sofi. She wants to bond with a demon now, and he's considering it. She's only thirteen!"

"He wouldn't do it," Noah said. "He made us wait 'til we were fifteen, he'll do the same for her."

"I'd be happy to be proven wrong about this. It's just, I got a bad feeling. Can you let me know if the girls are okay as soon as you get there? I'll send Red."

"All right." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

119K 5K 47
A dystopian romance in which two superhumans from light and dark fall in love. __ [BOOK IS COMPLETE BUT CURRENTLY BEING EDITED] On August 21st, 2164...
54 3 12
Lucifer chuckled, hiding his earlier annoyance in a heartbeat. "You've grown so much" he said. "I'm sorry I haven't come to see you sooner, it's very...
95 5 8
this is a story where three people who posses the capacity to wield the power of elements, embark on a journey to solve a mystery, demons usually inc...
27.4K 1.6K 40
A street girl and a savage ruler must rely on each other to unravel a family secret and save a nation from the brink of war. ***Sorayi is an orphan...