Dear Past, You Suck!

By eMMy-aNN

Alice is lost. Lost in time and not figuratively. Alice is thrown unexpectedly into 1756, armed with nothing... More

A Strange Night
I Don't Think We're In Kansas Anymore
Thats Not My Name
I Can't Even Dress Myself
This Nasty Little Provincal Town
Another Stupid Celebration
Don't Drink Kids!
Bon Voyage
Boy Talk
Wicked Witch of the West(Of Town)
Lock 'Er Up And Throw Away The Key
This Girl Is On Fi-Yah
Books Are A Girl's Best Friend
Late Night Skinny Dippers
Art Of War
Good 'n' Gone
The Wrath Of The Warlests
London My Love
My Brother From Another Mother
Who I Am, Who I Am Not
Love's Letters
Welcome Home
New Year, New Me
The New Mansion
Preparation and Desperation
Reunited
A Walk In The Woods
The Wedding Of The Century
Stranger Danger
Thrown To The Dogs
Trials Of Life
Twisting In The Wind
Home Is Where The Heart Is

I Think I Wanna Marry You

929 40 4
By eMMy-aNN

Eleanor was already in my room when I came in. She didn't even notice when I came in. She was sitting on the wooden floor by the stone fireplace. She held Wilbur who was leaning on her, his tail thumping lazily on the floor. They were both only siluettes from the bright fire behind them.

"Eleanor where'd you put my jeans?" I asked frantically. I didn't want to spend much time here while they were already getting ready for the hunt.

"What?" She said blatantly confused.

"My pants. Where are they?"

"Oh uh with your cellular phone in that drawer," She answered, confused at my franticness. I rushed to the drawer pulling both items out. I fumbled with the buttons on the back of my dress trying to take it off on my own. Eleanor groaned getting up, slowly coming to my assistance. "What is going on. No one will tell me. I was supposed to go to Thomas's for dinner but Duchess Hemerton ordered all maids to remain here because of some emergency."

"Well Lord Warlest and Mr. Williams were like kissing or something and then they claimed that the witch in the forest cursed them or something. Which I told you was a mistake drunken me and Abe did. Now all of the townsmen are going on a freaking witch hunt and I gotta go and make sure they don't do anything stupid!" I exclaimed as Eleanor began untying the corset.

"Oh my! That will be challenging, the men in this town don't like to be told what to do. Especially by anyone poorer, younger or who is a woman," she sighed.

"Yup I'm not too sure what I'm going to do, but I'll try to keep them from like burning down someone's house or the forest or something," I said seriously even though I was hopping around trying to get into my jeans. They felt tighter on my legs than they normally did. After so long wearing dresses, pants felt foreign.

"That is why you will need my assistance. This is not a mission for one person to do."

"Are you sure? I'm fine on my own," I assured. She looked terrified after she suggested it, even though she said it confidently.

"There is no doubt in my mind, you need assistance."

"Then let's go."

Eleanor hushed Wilbur and grabbed the night side oil lamp. We walked softly down the corridor, not wanting to be heard by the chorus of nervous women downstairs. The rug muffled the sound of our steps as we walked down the stairway. Instinctively, I held my breath as we passed by the lounge. I knew it was ridiculous but I felt like they'd hear us passing just from our breathing. Luckily they were too involved in their conversation to even consider their surroundings. We passed by safely, but still I held my breath. My lungs strained, my throat and heart seemed to pulse together, and my lips tingled as I tried to keep my breath in. Twenty paces to the front door. I wished that the foyer wasn't so well lit. Eleanor shook and her eyes were wide but she had the slightest twitch of a smile on her lips. Light quick footsteps clacked on the floor. I sighed, exhaling the long held breath. Someone had caught us.

"Eleanor where are you going?" Margaret whispered in a hushed yell. I guess she got the impression we were trying to be quiet. She ignored Eleanor's presence and approached me.

"Don't tell Duchess Hemerton please. We are going out to-"

"Help the men?!" She finished my sentence. Her eyes gleamed with excitement. She inhaled excitedly and clasped her hands together.

"Yeah sure."

"I'm coming with. It is not fair that the men get all the excitement, now is it?" She said with a wink. Can she handle it? I eyed her floofy green dress and her extremely high curls. I didn't think she would go against what she was told. Well I suppose she is seeing some poor guys that her parents don't like. Maybe she has an extremely rebellious streak.

"We must go," Eleanor hissed.

"Fine then lets all go," I had been hoping to be fairly inconspicuous but with three girls, two in dresses, would not be. We snuck out of the house, Margaret snickering out of glee for her courage and Eleanor gently shushing her.

The men were not hard to fine. At all. You could see the glow of their lanterns and torches through the trees and their shouts could be heard from the house. We trampled through waist-high bushes and brambles to get to the edge of the forest. Eleanor blew out the lantern as we got closer. My heart beat faster as the shouts of the men got more intense. About twenty men stood around a makeshift campsite but from the moving lights in the forest behind them, I guessed there was more.

"This is my campsite I had while I kept Wilbur out here. I couldn't leave him alone overnight," Eleanor said in a voice barely louder than the rustle of the leaves.

"This has got to be the spot! Look at the burnt grass, that must have been where the witch lit her cauldron!" An overexcited young man exclaimed, leaning closer to the grass.

"That is Tom," Eleanor whispered in my ear as we crouched behind a bush, peering through the darkened leaves. So that's her new boyfriend. He doesn't seem as stuffy as I thought he'd be.

"You don't know that Thomas," another seemingly bored man sighed.

"The woman I have been courting has an old book full of witchcraft fables and this area sounds like an area in the book!" Thomas said, I could almost see the blush in his cheeks even in the dark. I could also see the blush creep up Eleanor's neck beside me.

"What an interesting woman," another man said sarcastically.

"Yes she is!" Thomas exclaimed, not picking up on the sarcasm, "I believe a woman such as her would make a fine wife and mother." A little excited meep escaped Eleanor's lips. Margaret quietly shushed her.

"Are you planning to propose marriage to this woman soon, Thomas? Women do not like being kept waiting, just ask Archibald. Is that not right, Archie," a man said boisterously. The man who must've been Archie growled slightly and muttered something under his breath.

"I am well aware. I have already spoken to her father who has agreed on our matrimonial union. I will be telling her in less than a fortnight, I just need to ensure payment on our future home. She's staying as a member of staff at the Duke's estate," Tom said his voice trying to contain his excitement from the others. Eleanor let out an overjoyed squeal. They heard it this time. All at once this turned their heads and raised their lanterns, eyes narrowed trying to see through the veil of dark and foliage.

"What's there?" A man shouted.

"Maybe it's the witch!" Thomas shouted with equal terror and excitement.

"Come forth, foul witch!" After several seconds without a reply, the man yelled to a comrade, "Burn the area." A man marched forward, taking a crude torch over to where we were. If we didn't leave we'd be burned. Margaret saw this and popped up out of the bush.

"There are no witches here, I am afraid. Just I, my cousin Elizabeth Hemerton and her servant." She flashed a bright smile, "We were curious. We wanted to see the men find the witch." Eleanor and I reluctantly came out of our crouched positions. The man with the torch backed away.

"Eleanor?" Thomas asked bewildered.

"Hello," Eleanor said shyly.

"Miss Hemerton, is Mr. Warlest aware you are out galavanting around in the forest," an older man asked.

"Well I don't see why it's any of his business," I spat.

The man pinched up his face and yelled, "Sir Warlest! I believe you may want to escort your future bride and her cousin and servant back to her estate!"

The sound of rushing feet a resounding, "What!" came immediately from behind the group. Abraham emerged from the bush disheveled. He had taken off his fancy jacket, wearing just his blouse-type thing with flared sleeves(it's a truly horrible shirt.) He'd ditched the wig, his recently cut hair (inspired by the pictures on my phone which he had at first hated but the next day cut his hair like) was all over the place and a few twigs in his hair. He looked around wildly before setting his gaze on me. He marched over and grabbed my arm, pulling me away from the group. Margaret following close behind. Eleanor instead of following behind walked sheepishly over to Tom.

"What do you think you are doing?" Abraham hissed.

"I was looking around. Gotta problem with that?" I stopped, glaring at him.

He glared back, "I don't know what it's like in your time-" he glanced over at Margaret to make sure she was still awkwardly standing far away"but it's dangerous here. Especially for women-"

"You think that I- we are so fragile but we're not! I know that's your upbringing or whatever, but I can take care of myself!" I shouted. Margaret looked up at me, overhearing our arguement, and slowly wandered further away.

"I do not believe that you are weak, in fact I believe in a physical spar you would get the best of me but how would you fair against the likes of all of those men. No one can win against many opponents at once. Many men here would see you harmed because of the name and title of your family. It may have happened to Elizabeth! I do not wish to lose you or see you hurt, Alice. Please you do not know this world, this century. I know it is difficult but please try to trust me. I will not control you, I will assist you," he sighed, his eyes vulnerable and filled with emotion. He hesitantly grabbed my hands, pulling me ever so slightly closer to him. Of course he wouldn't want to be too forward.

I closed the distance between us, if I didn't we never would. I reached up my hands burying in his hair,"Then I will trust you." And then we kissed, strong and passionately enough to make any 18th century witness blush brightly and gasp in awe.

***

The morning sun shone in streams through the windows. I groaned awake rolling to block out the sun. Today is my wedding. That thought alone was enough to fully wake me up. Even though I was against it, I couldn't help smiling to myself, it was still my wedding day after all. I pull my phone out of the nightstand, I take a picture of myself in front of the bright window. A wedding day selfie, Molly would have wanted to see me on my wedding. I'm sure that she would believe me even without the pictures if I told her I was sent back in time, but she would be mad if I hadn't taken any pictures. The pictures would be proof for anyone else where I had been. Even with the pictures I don't know if my mom would believe me though.

The door squeaked open, frantically I tried to hide my phone in the nightstand, but in my panic I ended up dropping it. I bounced it off my knee, between both hands and finally dropping it to the ground. Is breaking one's phone on their wedding day a bad omen. With clenched teeth, I reached down for it and picked it up. I sighed the same way I did every time I dropped my phone. No scratches. Eleanor and Margaret walked in together; Margaret pushes ahead of Eleanor who idled quietly behind.

"Are you not a blushing bride!" Margaret exclaimed pulling me off the bed. I slid my phone under the covers as discreetly as I could. "Now we must start getting you prepared for the ceremony. No breakfast for you today." Margaret had been preparing for her role as Maid of Honour for quite some time now. As soon as she had come here I think she assumed that she would be having that position in the wedding. "After we get you ready Eleanor and I must get ready as well."

"You and Eleanor," I asked.

Eleanor looked down with a shy smile, "Margaret thought it best that I be a bridesmaid considering our friendship. I hope you do not mind."

I smiled brightly, "Of course I don't mind! Now let's get that dress on." Tight corset, large panniers, the usual routine with all three of us for the next hour. Margaret was used to the extreme dressing, I was slightly used to it, but not Eleanor. She didn't take it the same way I did at first though, she seemed glad. She kept remarking at either the quality or design of the undergarments. Margaret and Eleanor wore matching dark blue dresses extravagant yet plain. When Margaret brought out the dresses, Eleanor beamed with happiness. She touched the fabric lovingly and when she finally had it on, she kept spinning in it in front of the mirror.

"This dress is nicer than what my own wedding gown will be," she sighed.

"I am sure that it will be beautiful," Margaret said, pinning Eleanor's hair for her.

"Well I will be making it myself and I have never had the gift of sewing," she laughed.

"Then I guess we'll have to help you with your sewing then. And by that I mean Margaret. I can't sew." I said.

"Do not be humble, Elizabeth. You were the better seamstress of the two of us when we were small girls," Margaret scolded.

"People change." Or are completely different people.

I finally was helped into my wedding dress. It was mostly white with tints of blue. Blue beads, blue ribbon, blue necklace, blue rim on the skirt and sleeves, blue bow on the back.As I put it on my heart skipped a beat. It was like I just realized what was going on. I was in 1756, getting married to a future lord. It finally sunk in, before it seemed like a concept or possibility, but now it was real. I looked up at myself, powdered pale skin, red cheeks, powdered white hair powdered high on my head. I could barely recognize myself. Eleanor draped a few strings of pearls that connected to a large blue gem in my hair. She sunk a wide comb into the top which connected to a large veil. She reached up and draped the veil in front of my face.

"Now the demons will not be able to harm you, for they will not see you," Margaret said.

"Really that is what veils are for?" Margaret gave me an odd look, so I quickly added,"I mean it's odd to think about."

"We really must leave. You can not be late for your own wedding," Eleanor added.

With great help, I made my way to the stage coach outside. My dress took up most of the small coach so only Eleanor was able to fit in the coach with me and my dress. Margaret went in a second coach with Duchess Hemerton and Lady Warlest. As the stage pulled forward, my heart beat a little faster. This was it.

"How are you feeling?" Eleanor asked, her voice slightly uneven from the jostling of the stage coach on the rocky road.

"Well right now I'm slightly nauseated from the bumping of the road, uncomfortable from the dress and the hard seat, but also nervous but excited. I have to admit, this isn't really how I imagined my wedding. Who were born when I was, would?" I said in one breath, laughing nervously at the end.

"Oh, well I hope that it is better than how you had dreamed it would be," She said. We sat the rest of the way to the church in silence. I watched the streets go by. People would stop to watch the procession of horses and coaches, none of them smiled. I could hear wedding bells before I could see the church. Great clanging that rung out along the streets, echoing through my head, my bones. They were announcing what was to come. The church wasn't really a church as it was a cathedral. It was beautiful. Tall, and intricately carved and designed. People stood along the outside, onlookers, guests, and guards. The guards were pretty much just for show, in crisp red uniforms and muskets positioned in a stiff decorative position. I immediately noticed that there were far more men than women. The men that were there could easily be spotted by their red uniforms. There were a few men in the common floofy attire but they were mostly elderly. The stage coach stopped in front of the stairs, the footmen hopping down to help us out. I put one foot on the ground, grabbing the outstretched hands of the footmen. I sighed a large sigh as I began my assisted climb up the tall stairs. The doors were held wide open by two guards. As I passed by they didn't even glance at me, it was almost alarming how little they moved. I could see the throng of people inside, muttering excitedly. Margaret, Duchess Hemerton, and Lady Warlest arrived. Lady Warlest continued into the cathedral to find her seat.

"Remember Elizabeth, behave your best, a lot of very important people are here." Duchess Hemerton hissed in my ear before passing by on her way to her seat. Of course she would say something to ruin the mood of the day. As the organ began playing a slow and hauntingly beautiful song, and a choir that could've been composed of angels began singing, I felt faint. I could barely feel my feet as I began the long walk up to the altar. I felt as though I was floating, just being pulled towards the front. Towards Abraham. I barely noticed the blur of faces I passed by, as I watched him. He wore a powdered wig, tied in the back by a large black bow. He wore mostly white and heavily laced cuffs and collar thing(that kind of looked like a napkin tucked into his shirt top. He smiled as I got closer. I don't know if he could see me through the veil but I returned the smile even brighter. I walked the few steps up to the altar. Margaret and Eleanor helped to move my dress around so I could face my about to be husband.

I felt uncomfortable with the eyes on me. I could feel the burn of their gazes on my face. Don't look, it will make it worse, I kept repeating in my head. But I betrayed myself and glanced at the crowd out of the corner of my eye. There were so many people some were forced out through the cathedral doors, standing outside and in the streets. Only the first few rows of people actually got church pews to sit in, probably the most important guests. I looked back at Abraham, panic evident on my face.

He said in a voice quiet enough so the priest could not hear, "I will help you."

My heart fluttered a little thinking of last night, "And I will trust you."

The Bishop announced in a voice so loud that Abraham and I both jumped. "Blessings and merry meet! Gentle Lords and Ladies we are here today to commemorate the union of the fair Elizabeth Hemerton-" he eyed me creepily up and down,"-and Lord Abraham Warlest. They have asked you here today to share their union and joy as a community. Lord Warlest, art thou here in pledged troth of thy own free choice and free will?"

"I am father," Abraham said.

"Lady Elizabeth, art thou here in pledged troth of thy own free choice and free will?"

I hesitated slightly,"I... am,father."

"As this noble Lord and fine Lady have pledged their troth to be married this day, we call upon Heaven to bless this union. Therefore if anyone can bring forth just reason or conviction why these two should not be joined together; speak now or hereafter forever remain silent." There was a moment of silence, a few coughs but no one spoke. "There being no objection let us proceed. Swear you now on the good Lords name, that there is no known reason to you that this union should no proceed."

"I swear on God's name," Abraham said.

"Is there any reason on why this partnership should not be made?"

I looked at Abraham who seemed nervous if I would change my mind. I said smiling reassuringly at him, "There is none."

"Heavenly Father, creator of Earth and Heaven, we humbly ask thee to bless these two souls in holy matrimony. May these servants of yours seek goodness all their days, may they be strong in the defence of what is right and just, may they be united as one under your protection and love. Do you Lord Warlest take unto yourself to be husband of the fair Elizabeth Hemerton and pledge unto her before God and these here witnesses to be her protector, defender and sure resort, to honour and sustain her, in sickness and health, in fair and foul, with all thy worldly powers, to cherish and forsake all others, keep thee unto her as long as thee both shall live?"

The moment. The big 'I do's'. This is the closer, the confirmation, the official signing off on the marriage. Can I do this. This is my last time to escape, maybe I haven't been focusing enough to go back home. I finally knew what cold feet meant. I had a cold sensation flowing through me, like ice water was running through my veins, cooling my over heated body. My lips tingled with inside coldness, my feet felt numb, my lungs ached from my shallow nervous breath. In a breath that warmed and chilled my soul, he said it. "I do."

"Do you fair Elizabeth Hemerton take unto yourself to be the wife of Abraham Warlest and pledge unto him before God and these here witnesses to be the counsellor, care-giver and consultant, to honour and sustain him, in sickness and health, in fair and foul, forsaking all others, as long as the both shall live?"

That was what I had to promise to."I uh do." I said after way too long of a pause.

"Heavenly Father, bless these rings which Noble Lord Warlest and fair Elizabeth Hemerton have set apart to be visible signs of the inward and spiritual bond which unites their hearts.

Abraham took a ring off a pillow that a young boy ran up to bring. He took my hand and slid the ring onto my finger gently "Receive and wear this ring as a symbol of my trust, my respect and my love for you."

I took the other ring off the pillow, giving the small nervous boy a reassuring smile.I held his rough and warm hand as I slid the ring onto his finger, "Receive and wear this ring as a symbol of my trust, my respect and my love for you."

"Thou hast pledged troth of thy own free will and sworn upon the Heavenly Father,Thou hast exchanged rings and been bound together by the church and power of God. May it be granted that what is done before the gods be not undone by man.Before I proclaim you joined thou must kiss. By the Power Vested in my by the Church of England I now pronounce you Lord Abraham Warlest and Lady Elizabeth Warlest, husband and wife."

Abraham lifted my veil and leaned towards me. For the second time, we kissed. He took me by the hand and we quickly exited the church, people cheering and church bells ringing echoed around the church. The wind outside whipped my veil around my head. We got into a stage coach, the fanciest I have yet to see. We clambered in and Abraham slammed the door behind us, cutting off the voices of the thousands of people. He leaned back into his seat, a grin that stretched across his face.

"Well Mrs Warlest, are you ready to celebrate?" He asked taking my hands lovingly.

"I am overjoyed that I married you but do we have to go to the celebration? We will just have to pretend to be the people that we are not." I sighed. I just wanted to be alone with each other, to not pretend to be the Lord and Lady.

He considered this, "I feel the same, this charade is tiresome. We will stay for cake and then announce that we are retiring early. We will celebrate our marriage alone. We can sit outside and watch the stars, or prepare our own dinner and eat."

"Do you even know how to cook?" I laughed.

"No but I always wanted to. My parents did not wish their son to be in the kitchen like a common peasant. It cannot be that difficult can it? It is practically adding which you want and then browning it over a fire."

"Oh if that's how you think cooking is, I can't wait to see you try cooking," I laughed.

The celebration was in the largest square in town. I was impressed how the square had been transformed. Usually it was a drabby plain square with a slightly run down water fountain, but the fountain had been scrubbed and repaired, tables had been set up, lanterns set on tables, an elaborate orchestra was playing music, and waiters ran in and out of nearby restraunts carrying food. The sky in England I learned is almost always grey and cloudy but it was only partially clouded today. The sun was getting lower in the sky and servants were running around trying to light all of the lights. Abraham reached for the door but I grabbed his arm.

"Wait I want to take a picture of us first. To remember today." I said pulling my phone out from my corset. I opened the phone camera holding it in front of us. Abraham looked stiffly at the camera. "You have to smile."

"Why?"

"So you look happy in the picture! It is our wedding," I laughed. He smiled awkwardly for the camera, I still don't think he completely understood or was comfortable with cameras.

He opened the door and helped me out of the carriage. Two shy men who avoided eye contact escorted us to a large table with 5 people there already. Eleanor, Margaret, Lady and Lord Warlest I, and Duchess Hemerton sat making polite dinner conversation.

"What a beautiful ceremony," Margaret said to Duchess Hemerton.

"Yes, it was interesting that you allowed your servant to be a part of it," Lord Warlest said. Eleanor blushed deeply and lowered her eyes.

"It was interested you and your good friend Mr Williams both got cursed by a witch," Abraham said unsubtly. Lord Warlest shot him a deadly glare.

"Her name is Eleanor and she is my friend!" I spoke up for her, ignoring Abrahams comment. The Lord and Lady looked unconvinced.

"Yes, Elizabeth knows that friendships with the servants guarantees loyalty all their lives," Duchess Hemerton sounded unconvinced of the statement even to herself.

"No sometimes it is best to be friends with someone because of who they are not their station," Abraham announced.

"That is an interesting thought Abraham," his mother said with a underlying message of dont be stupid Abraham.

"I also consider Eleanor a good friend," Margaret said sweetly. Looking at Eleanor I could sense her eagerness to flee, she felt out of place and awkward. Her face was extremely red and she bit her lip repeatedly.

"Hey here's an idea, why don't we all dance somehow to the orchestra!" I said hoping to give Eleanor an out.

"That is an excellent idea!" Margaret exclaimed pulling Duchess Hemerton up from her seat. Lord Warlest held his hand out stiffly for Lady Warlest, and they walked away to join the other people dancing.

"Eleanor, I sent out a personal invitation to Tom this morning, so he should be around here somewhere," I said giving her a quick wink. She quickly scanned the area trying to find her now fiancé. When she found him, she grinned as he walked over.

"You are exquisite," he said almost in awe.

She blushed again,"It is not mine, Elizabeth and Margaret are the ones who own it. I am just borrowing it for the time being."

"Let us dance?" He asked offering his hand for her. She took his hand eagerly and they swept away into the music.

"What about us, shall we dance?" Abraham offered.

"Okay but don't be mad if I step on your feet," I said. He held my waist and took my hand. He pulled me back to follow his lead. I overstepped and crushed his toe. Abraham winced but continued on dancing. He continued to lead me and I continued causing his feet pain. People watched as we danced by(if you could call it dancing.) It surely wasn't the Cinderella moment I always imagined for myself.After only five minutes of attempting to dance, we concluded it would be best to return to our table. A commotion came from across the celebration.

"Everyone stop!" The young man Winston from last night was standing on a table looking angry yet proud, "I have found the witch! I have found witnesses, and an artifact confirmed to be hers in the witches spot! Now where is Eleanor Thompson!?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

426K 8.7K 18
One moment, Emma Scott is in her college room in 2015, and the next she's in 1921 falling in love with an ex-soldier with a charming smile and a secr...
372 91 25
Angelica, a young Italian country maid was imprisoned for 5 years, for a crime she didn't commit. She lost her daughter to the hand of a young matria...
506K 13.5K 42
The fate of a not so human king and a definitely human girl became entangled in a single meeting. A teenage girl from the 21st century somehow ended...
737 182 30
In the rural outskirts of New York, five miles from the majestic Niagra Falls, Peace is engrossed in constructing his dream cabin. A sudden disruptio...