Dear Past, You Suck!

By eMMy-aNN

Alice is lost. Lost in time and not figuratively. Alice is thrown unexpectedly into 1756, armed with nothing... More

A Strange Night
I Don't Think We're In Kansas Anymore
Thats Not My Name
I Can't Even Dress Myself
This Nasty Little Provincal Town
Another Stupid Celebration
Don't Drink Kids!
Bon Voyage
Boy Talk
I Think I Wanna Marry You
Lock 'Er Up And Throw Away The Key
This Girl Is On Fi-Yah
Books Are A Girl's Best Friend
Late Night Skinny Dippers
Art Of War
Good 'n' Gone
The Wrath Of The Warlests
London My Love
My Brother From Another Mother
Who I Am, Who I Am Not
Love's Letters
Welcome Home
New Year, New Me
The New Mansion
Preparation and Desperation
Reunited
A Walk In The Woods
The Wedding Of The Century
Stranger Danger
Thrown To The Dogs
Trials Of Life
Twisting In The Wind
Home Is Where The Heart Is

Wicked Witch of the West(Of Town)

836 41 10
By eMMy-aNN

Wilbur barked gleefully. I gently grabbed his muzzle to quiet him. He took the gesture well and pressed further into my hand, happily nuzzling me. I have seen a lot of English Foxhounds but he was the cutest. He had large gentle eyes and a constantly wagging tail. He was relatively quiet from what I had seen for the past few hours but he couldn't help but bark at the commotion downstairs. They were getting ready for the rehearsal dinner. The wedding was tomorrow. My wedding is tomorrow. Even in my own head it doesn't seem real. Well that's funny. Out of everything that has happened to me, this doesn't seem real? I am strange.

Eleanor had brought Wilbur in before lunch this morning. She smuggled him into my room in a large basket of linens. I thought it was weird that the linens seemed to be shaking until a brown head popped up. She also brought an old and extremely dirty loop of frayed rope with him. She said it was the only thing he ever played with.I had hidden in my room 'getting ready for tonight' all day, throwing the rope and getting to know Wilbur. Eleanor had visited a few times throughout the day. She said her alibi was that she was assisting me in getting ready, but in actuality we just talked and played with Wilbur. Eleanor was astonished how fast Wilbur took a liking to me. Apparently he is normally quite shy. It pleases me a lot when animals like me. I value the opinions of animals more than people, to say the truth.

Shuffled footsteps whished by my door. Someone fiddled with the door knob struggling to get in. I put Wilbur into his basket and gently wrapped a blanket around him, only his nose poking out. My feet hopped quickly across the wood floor. I pulled open the door to see a man standing in the doorway- his face shrouded by a large bundle of assorted flowers and his hands filled with a few polished wooden boxes.

"Hi?" I said uncertainty as he moved into the room.

"Would you be able to take some of these off of my possession? They are gifts for my darling any how," Abraham said from behind the bushel of flowers.

My fingers lingered on his as I took the boxes off him, setting them down on my vanity. The daisies in my window were already dying so I removed them without a thought, throwing them into the overly ornate trash can. The roses smelt sweet; they were as fresh as they could be. The vase was better suited to the roses than the daisies-black vase, red flowers. Abraham grinned proudly.

"Thank you. It's all really nice, Abe."

"I remembered correct? Roses are a gift of love and jewelry is a gift to show affection in the 21st century?" He asked with an earnest yet proud smile. He picked the two boxes off of the vanity beside me. One was small and square, the other long and thin. I could already tell what both of the boxes were for: a ring and a necklace.

"Yes you got it right," I chuckled attempting to take the ring box from him but he held it above his head; about four inches too high.

"No this one first," he handed me the necklace box. I opened it to see a beautiful diamond and sapphire necklace, it felt heavy in my hands. I don't know what it would feel like on my neck. "I was hoping that you would wear it tonight for dinner. And tomorrow for our wedding."

"It's beautiful, Abe. You didn't need to spend that much on me." I spent a few silent seconds studying it,"It looks like the necklace off of titanic-a movie in my time based on true events."

"It did not cost me a thing. It was my great grandmothers. Each generation of Warlest's brides wear it. Will you?" He asked almost concerned that I won't.

"Um yeah, sure." I reached the second box,"Now what's in this one?" I popped the box to see a little ring with a large rock.

"I remembered you said that engagement rings were always encrusted with diamonds in your time, so I got you a diamond ring. I do hope the diamond is large enough; it was the biggest one they had." He held up my hand, sliding the ring onto my finger. I held my breath slightly (which is a big deal because I barely have any breath with corsets) because I could just see my big fingers not fitting into such a delicate little ring. Luckily that awkward moment did not come because it slid on. I could tell from the snugness of it that it would take a bit of oil or butter to get off later. I examined my finger; I had worn rings before but never an engagement ring. It looked weird on my finger like my hand wasn't good enough for such a classy object.

"Wow. It's just... wow, Abe. I am speechless. Thank you," I said patting his shoulder awkwardly. I didn't know whether or not to hug him or kiss him or just a nice high five. My initial reaction was to kiss him; to hold his head in my hands and press my lips against his. But would that be considered improper? I also wasn't really speechless. I'm just bad at accepting gifts.

"My pleasure. Now what do-" he was interrupted by the door opening. Eleanor sauntered in.

"Excuse me, but Miss Al..Lizabeth must get dressed now." Eleanor said without looking directly at Abraham. Abraham touched my arm lightly, looking into my eyes.

"I will leave you to get ready. I know that you did not wish to be married but I hope that you can enjoy these next few days," Abraham smiled as he left the room.

Eleanor ran over to Wilbur's bin, uncovering his face from the blanket, "How have you been, Wilbur?" She asked in the typical baby voice. She turned to me as she stroked the dog, "Has he been noisy? Has he been happy?"

"No he's been very well-behaved. He doesn't seem to mind being cooped up in here with me. What eye-melting dress has the Duchess picked out for me?"  Eleanor opened the heavy wooden doors. The smell of moth balls was strong and instantaneous, making me gag halfway across the room. She brought out a dark blue dress covered in beautiful white lace. Finally, a dress that didn't make me feel ashamed when wearing it. Eleanor helped me into my corset and began to tighten it. Usually (per my request) she barely even tied it up, but this time she was actually tightening. I gasped to breathe as the corset tightened around me like a boa restrictor.

"Sorry but the dress won't fit if you don't tighten your corset," Eleanor apologized as she gave a final yank before tying it. After attaching the extremely wide panniers she helped to put the many layers of skirts on me. I hated that I couldn't help myself. I can't believe we didn't drop this type of dresses sooner in time, because come on! You can't even function in the simplest ways. The dress itself was restrictive. The fabric stretched tightly around my shoulders. I raised my arms out to try to stretch out the back of the dress. Unfortunately no matter the amount of struggling, I could only lift my arms to shoulder height. My breathing sped up in frustration. I looked at Eleanor in complete frustration.

"I would rather wear a potato sack than this!" I huffed.

"I do not believe Duchess Hemerton would be too thrilled. She would lock you away in your room until you began acting like a proper lady! A proper lady does not wear feed sacks Elizabeth! I am horrified at what our legacy is coming to!" She mocked the Duchess. She looked a little ashamed of her mocking her employers but proud at the same time. She ushered me into a chair and began to work on my hair.

I whirled around, "Oh! I forgot to ask. Today and tomorrow I was wondering if you could take pictures of the party and celebrations." I grabbed my phone off the vanity handing it to her. "Okay go here. Then press this button and it freezes whatever is on this screen. Got it?"

She looked dazed. She threw her hands dramatically in the air, "Not in the least!" She smiled reassuringly,"But I will figure it out. You can rely on me Alice."

An hour later and I was sitting at an extrodinarily long table laden in all kinds of food. A bunch of snobbish looking people made polite conversation (mostly gossiping) and gave congratulations to Abraham and I. All of this food I normally would have been able to eat within ten minutes but with this tight dress I could barely eat a piece of cheese. I had been trying to be polite by smiling kindly and politely, but after the first few offensive comments, I gave up on that.

"Elizabeth what is vexing you? You are not smiling," A haute man sniffed, in a not really concerned way.

"She is only having another difficult day," Duchess Hemerton laughed nervously. Her eyes flashed me a warning:smile and be polite or else. I returned the glare, adding a smirk. A few of the other guests noticed my attitude(which is barely anything compared to what I've said to my mother) and their faces flushed red then diverted their eyes. The conversation halted, the only sound was of cutlery scraping on plates. Abraham cleared his throat.

"Margaret, have you had news from your parents?" Abraham asked, breaking the silence. Margaret smiled politely but avoided eye contact of anyone. The dozens of guests seemed to perk up interested in the topic.

"I-uh- have not heard news of their current whereabouts or situation unfortunately," she said quietly. She glanced up and I made eye contact with her. Her blue eyes were filled with tears. She quickly became very invested in the piece of roast beef she was cutting.

"That is a shame," an elderly lady sighed disinterested.

"I suppose with your parents' absence they have not had the chance to make arrangements for a suitable husband for you," a young man said making what was supposed to be provocative eyes at her, but he failed. Horribly. I didn't know whether to laugh or gag. Not to mention he was twice as old as her(a little over thirty I'm guessing). She smiled politely though. I'm thinking she had years of practice.

"I think she already has a man in mind," I said and Margaret widened her eyes in alarm. "I mean her parents have a man in mind."

"Is that true?" Duchess Hemerton said shrilly.

"Oh um yes. He's a uh English Lord. It is not an official agreement yet, though," She said quietly, her face going red.

"I wonder if my family has relations with him," Abraham said as he stuffed a large piece of beef in his mouth. I smirked at him. He knew why I was smiling and he smiled back, stabbing another piece. His manners ever since we started getting to know each other have become more relaxed or as his parents say "improper." I think our parents forget that we are just teenagers.

"Speaking of our family, where is my husband?" Lady Warlest asked. He had excused himself over an hour ago and hadn't come back since.

"I believe Mr. Williams left with him," A lady who had been quiet the entire dinner said enthusiastically because she actually could contribute to the conversation. Mr Williams as far as I knew was a lawyer who was extremely irritating. He reminded me of a classic preppy rich guy at a country club. Every time a woman spoke he would interrupt us claiming what we were saying was wrong or he could say it better.

"I believe they went for a cigar in the lounge. I will go retrieve them." Duchess Hemerton said. The young man from before scurried out of his chair to assist her out of her chair. Together the two of them left the dining room. Without the hostess to help along conversation, we sat silently, trying to act like it wasn't awkward.

"You know what I'll go help her too! Come with me Abe!" I yanked him out of his chair. He gave everyone a polite smile and nod then followed me out the door.

"We are not looking for my father are we?" Abraham laughed as I pulled him towards the front door.

"I thought you looked as bored as I felt. So I saw an opportunity and grabbed it!"

  A wail came from near the lounge. It sounded like Duchess Hemertons over-dramatic wail. Abraham and I approached cautiously. We peaked around the corner of the lounge. Duchess Hemerton had collapsed on a chair, Mr. Williams and Lord Warlest crouched around her, concern evident on their faces. The young man's face red from anger, he was standing behind Duchess Hemerton nearly quaking from rage. The sound of people's  feet were rushing towards the room. We walked in uncertainly.

"Father what is happening?" Abraham asked. His father looked up at him with panicked and fearful eyes.

"Not a thing. Return to your meal with Miss Hemerton," Lord Warlest said with shaky breaths.

"What are you playing us for!" The young man spat. "Wait until Bishop Charles hears this news! He will have you stripped of your title! And you Arthur, you will never represent anyone again. I will personally assure you that!"

"What are you speaking of Winston?!" Abraham stepped threateningly closer to the young man. The other guests were filtering into the room along with a few curious servants.

"Do not say a word more Winston!" Mr. Williams bellowed.

"Oh my god! Stop with the dramatics! Just say what you want to!" I groaned.

Duchess Hemerton weakly cried, "We walked in and they were in eachothers embrace!"

"What!" Lady Warlest exclaimed, sinking into a chair as well. All other people in the room inhaled from shock. Oh so that's what they had been doing for an hour. Oh those sneaky cheaters.

I was about to whisper something sarcastic in Abrahams ear before realizing that one: it's his parents affected and two: he seemed pretty upset. His face was blotchy and he was shaking. His eyes flitted from the floor to his mom to his dad. His jaw was tense and his hands clenched. Was he angry, sad, confused?

"It is not the fault of ourselves! We were forced to! We did not wish to!" Mr. Williams exclaimed.

"Yes, it was..." Lord Warlest thought, "It was the witch in the forest!"

"That is the reason the witch is here. To ruin us!" Mr. Williams exclaimed, gesturing crazily to the woods through the window.

"I knew that we should have hunted that witch down when we heard the demon was out there!" The man named Winston said. His anger had been redirected from the two men to the 'witch in the forest.' Of course there is no witch. This hunt would be fruitless because I was the root of the rumours. Abraham knew this too. His mother and the rest of the guests had taken the bait; swooning and gasping at the news. But he knew different I could tell. He stared at his father without blinking. To any onlooker he would look purely emotionless,but I could see turmoil underneath the surface. I don't pretend to know him very well but I think I'm pretty familiar with his emotions. He stared at his father with disappointment, confusion and...resentment? His father looked towards his son, their eyes connecting briefly. His false anger fragmented for a portion of a second. He looked so ashamed it stabbed my heart just a bit. He quickly looked at his shoes, but Abraham's eyes stayed focused on him. The way Abraham was staring at his father made me uncomfortable. It was like I was looking at a complete stranger. No warmth.

"I can not believe that mistress of satan would dare do this to my husband! My family! I will have her burned!" Lady Warlest exclaimed, shaking with visible anger.

"At my estate.... At my daughters rehearsal dinner... Such evil so close..." Duchess Hemerton said quietly to herself.

"Oh come on guys! Let's just forget about this and go back to dinner," I suggested pushing towards the dining hall. No one moved to let me through or come with me.

"No Al. Not now," Abraham said roughly all the while his gaze remained fixed on his dad.

"No Abraham is right we must rid our town of the evil that lurks in the dark. This cannot be postponed!" Mr Williams announced, placing his hand on Abraham shoulder. Abraham shook Mr. Williams hand off his shoulder with so much force it nearly knocked both of their fake white wigs off.

"You will have the assistance of all our male servants," Duchess Hemerton said softly.

"Thank you, Duchess. It is greatly appreciated. I promise we will find this witch!" Winston bellowed. The men began filtering out of the room, shouting angry orders at servants "get my musket" "light the lanterns" "gather the townspeople." Abraham began leaving with them, but quietly and less enthusiastic than the others. I grabbed him forcefully by the elbow, not caring if I ruined the expensive and delicate beadwork on his jacket. He protested as I pulled him down the hall. Three maids were standing together watching the ruckus happening. Eleanor broke away to join us.

"Alice what is going on," Eleanor asked. She eyed the tense grip I had on Abraham's arm but ignored it.

"Not now Eleanor," I said softly.

"But it must be something important. I have never seen them this enraged and-"

"She said leave us, servant!" Abraham suddenly shouted, startling both Eleanor and I. His voice had a cruel edge to it that I had never heard on his usually warm and happy voice. Eleanor curtseyed slightly and scampered away. I swatted his arm.

"What is wrong with you right now!" I asked him disbelieving. "She was just curious!"

"It was not her business," he said coldly.

"Why were you going witch hunting with them? You know there is no witch,"

"Well what do you want me to say? Tell them that my fiancée is from the future and has a magical mirror thing and at the same time ruin my family, reputation, and wealth. Also probably be locked away somewhere no one will ever be seen again."

"No but why were you looking at your dad like that?"

"Did you see what he was doing?"

"Yes cheating is wrong no matter your situation but really he had no choice when he was young? I bet he was forced to marry like you and I are being!"

"I don't care that he cheated on my mother! They have been cheating on each other for years. Do you think the Earl of Cornwall comes to our estate so often to play chess with my mother?" He got a far away yet startled look in his eyes, "He always would visit my father often as well. They would go to our country estate together once in a while..."

"You only care because it was man? Really?"

"Of course! My father is not a Did he not consider how wrong it would affect our family? How it would destroy us?! He should be thrown in jail with all others who committed sodomy!"

"Jeez Abe! Listen to yourself! You are talking like this is a heinous crime."

"Because it is! How could he do this to us! Generations of Warlests fought to build our reputation and he risked having it associated with sodomy!"

"Ok look I get that this is the 1700s so it's like the height of homophobia, I don't know I'm not a historian. But anyways let me teach you something that took like 200 years for people to realize. People don't choose this, they're born with it and it's natural. It's not the devils work, it's not a crime. You have to realize this and fast because if you ever want to have a healthy relationship with your dad again."

"What do you know? I don't care if he was cursed by a witch, born with it, chose it, he was selfish! His sodomy is going to ruin my future, our future!"

"No Abe, your being selfish!" I yelled. We stopped talking as a maid walked by, "Jeez have you been listening to yourself. You sound like one of those classic rich guys who only care about how they're viewed by the public eye and their wealth."

"What do you know! You are not from here! I'm going to help the men hunt down the witch. Stay here with the other women." He stormed off angrily down the hall, leaving before I could get a word in. He isn't acting like himself. He usually isn't so closed minded or selfish. Hopefully he just has to wind down. But I'm not listening to what he told me to do(did he really expect me to listen?) No way in hell im staying here while a bunch of irrationally angery men are tearing through the town. They'll end up accidentally killing someone. I've just got to get out of this outfit before I go.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

140 58 30
Once upon a time, the realms of Chance and Men lived in peace and harmony. The balance of the worlds was perfect. Unfortunately, the thirst for power...
The Painting By Col

Mystery / Thriller

133K 8.7K 94
"It took me five seconds to fall. The impact on my chest jarring my body but not my mind. I suppose this is the point where your life is supposed to...
67.4K 2.7K 20
**Added on the reading list of @retold @WattpadTimeTravel @WattpadFairytales @HistoricalFiction @WattWitches @Magic @WattpadBookshelves This is book...
68 7 2
In the heart of bustling New York City, a sixteen-year-old Alice stumbles upon a mysterious portal that transports her not to Wonderland, but to Anci...