Straight through the Heart

By lystrandra

-Story #2 of Nerd in Disguise- The name's Naomi Jax Smith. People call me Jax for short. The dude to my 3 o'c... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45

Chapter 29

6K 391 180
By lystrandra

Bang! Bang! Bang!

I instinctively duck and roll out of the way. I pat myself to make sure I am still whole and alive. Then, I realize that I'm good and clean. Looking up, I see Lucian standing in front of three bodies. Based on the lab coats, they appear to be scientists. All three have one, clean hole in the center of their foreheads. We are in a small room filled with metal file cabinets. There's a ladder that leads up to somewhere. It seems the scientists were trying to escape. 

"Get up." Lucian commands. A chill runs down my spine at his icy tone. He just killed three more people in cold blood.  I haven't seen anyone kill someone so cleanly, effortless, and heartlessly in such a close range. 

I get up and Luca proceeds to aim a gun at the back of my head. He keeps a careful distance behind me as we walk towards Lucian. 

"Finally." Lucian says as he sees someone enter. Half of me hopes it's one of my family members rushing to save me. 

Lo and behold, my dear brother comes in. He looks semi-alive, which makes me a bit happy. Although he looks exhausted and disheveled with that beard of his, I'm thankful he doesn't have any fresh injuries. 

A little part of me dies when I see Amber behind him with a machine gun in her arms. 

What the actual fuck.

I haven't seen a machine gun up and close and personal. Is she trying to riddle my brother with holes? I'm going to cut that bitch up....after she loses that machine gun. 

Amber waves hello to me and winks. 

I will kill her if it's the last thing I do. She makes my blood boil. 

"What a touching family reunion we have here." Lucian smiles. It actually looks genuine for once, which makes me very scared. Rob and I share looks, already knowing what the other is feeling. 

"Pity you've outgrown your use." Lucian lifts his gun and aims it at me. I stare at the barrel of the gun and gulp. Is this really how I'm going to die? It seems final and sudden. I think this is going to be it. There's no joke or savior who can get me out of this situation. 

"You don't want to do that." Rob gives a crooked smile. I know that smile. He has a card up his sleeve. 

"I do not believe you are in a situation to be negotiating." Lucian moves his gun so it's pointing at Rob. 

"The program is not going to work without both of us alive." Rob smirks just a little cockily. 

That smug little bastard. I think with love. 

 "I've programmed it so in order to activate the program, the program needs to scan and read two sets of DNA, perhaps a set of a particular set of twins..." Rob continues. "And no, you can't just kill us right after you activate it. You also can't just extract our DNA and input it." 

I knew that genius brain of his would get us somewhere. I can't be more proud of him than right now. 

Bang! 

Lucian aims the gun at Rob. I don't even have time to react for he shoots so fast. My heart almost stops. 

Then, I realize it was merely a warning shot. The bullet zooms dangerously close to his head and plants itself in the wall next to his head. 

"You could have almost killed me." Amber frowns very calmly. 

"You should have faith in my shot." He glances at her before bringing his attention towards Rob and me. 

"You're just like your father. Cunning and always thinking ahead." Lucian says, but it doesn't seem like a compliment. "Look where you guys ended up. He didn't think too much ahead." 

"What do you have against us, against our parents?" I ask the million dollar question. 

"Your mother killed a close relative of mine in cold blood. It's only fair I do the same. I want to see her suffer. I want her so see how it feels when everyone she loves die because of her." 

I feel like his answer should have solved everything, but it really didn't. 

"You're going to kill all of us because of a vendetta? This is because of one relative." I can't hide the disbelief from me. 

"This dates back to more than just one relative. My brother was the strongest of us. He was going to bring back our name and regain our recognition. Yet, your parents and uncles destroyed it all." 

Wait. I think back to our "history" lessons. I remember eavesdropping on a heated discussion about another family--the Acerbis. Even though they talked about the Acerbi family rising in power and what not, they never revealed the full details. 

"Acerbi? But your last name is Barsetti." I point out.

"It's not that hard to change last names." Amber rolls her eyes. 

"Amber." Lucian shuts her up with just her name. Damn, I've been wanting to shut her up for a while. 

"I assumed a new identity to work closely by your father. I had hoped that damn fire would kill him and destroy his precious organization. He managed to not only salvage his organization but also survive and build his organization stronger." Lucian says sourly. 

"How did you fake being in the CIA?" Rob asks the next question.

"There's more of us than you think." Amber speaks up. "Can I reveal the next bit? I want to see the look on her face." Amber seems like an eager child looking for her parent's permission. I analyze her facial features and that of Lucian. Lucian seems older than my parent's but of enough age to be Amber's father. In fact, they share the same eyes. How could I be so blinded I didn't see it?

"Lucian is your pal Luca's father. Luca is my halfbrother. We share the same father but different mother." She reveals. 

I hate how easily deceived I was. I want to bang my head against the wall at my stupidity. I was right in not trusting in Luca. I can't even be that surprised at his betrayal once again. However, there is something off about Luca. It feels like I am missing a piece. 

"Touching reunion." I say back at Lucian. 

I put my foot in my mouth for his eyes flash dangerously.

"You have taken me too lightly," He says as he shoots my left foot suddenly. An intense pain flares from the bullet. I let out a scream in pain and Rob comes to help me. 

"What the fuck! Jax!" Rob grabs me, but soon Amber intervenes.

"Nu-uh." She taps him with her machine gun. 

I try to fight through the pain as I stare at Lucian. He reacts a little to the hatred in my eyes. Good, he's going to wish he never did that. I lift my foot to see the blood seeping through the hole in the bottom of my foot. At least it went right through. 

I breathe in deeply to try to mentally fight my way through this pain. It's almost impossible. I want to scream until the pain goes away. 

Lucian makes me stand up even though he fucking just shot me in the foot. I stagger to the ground a couple times before I manage to stand just barely. 

"You won't win."  I really can't shut up either. 

"I wonder if you'll be able to stand up with both feet shot." Amber whispers into my ear. I almost head butt her.

"Get everything ready." Lucian orders Amber, who leaves to get whatever that is to get done. 

"Did you really have to do that...have to do all this?" Luca speaks up as he points to my foot and the dead scientists. 

"It's better to not leave any evidence behind. Plus, you should know better that people learn fastest the hard way." Lucian pauses to lecture him. "Enough whining. Be more like your sister."

Lucian climbs up the ladder first and punches in some number into the dialed to unlatch the hatch. It opens up and brightness floods the dim room. He climbs out but not before telling Luca, "You know the plan. Follow it." Then, the latch closes. 

"I'm supposed to kill you two." Luca turns to Rob and me.

"You can try." Rob tenses up defensively. 

"I still have one good foot and two strong arms." I shrug before hopping next to Rob. 

"I've already told you Jax. I'm not your enemy." Luca sighs. He turns the gun around and hands it to Rob, who immediately aims it back at Luca. 

"Those are some nice words considering that Lucian just said you're his son. You should choose your next words carefully." Rob doesn't take any chances.

"He left my mother for Amber's. He didn't know my mother was pregnant with me. As soon as he found out, he took me from her despite her refusals. As his 'first lesson', he made me kill her. I was "too soft" and needed to wake up. I was fourteen. That son of a bitch is no father of mine. I want nothing to do with him." Luca explains. "You can kill me if you don't believe me. I've done some shitty things so you might be doing the world a favor."

"I believe his words. Maybe I don't trust him, but I will believe him for now." I trust my gut instincts. 

"I'll shoot him if he looks at us a little bit funny."  Rob says more to him than me.  

"Well, what's next?" Rob says awkwardly.

"I need something to stop the bleeding and pain. I really can't stand it anymore, literally and figuratively. I'm probably going to faint soon." I say a little woozily as I fall onto Rob and get my weight off of my foot. He catches me and looks worried. 

"Let's go to the lab before Amber comes back. THere's a lot of medical equipment and chemicals that will help you. Let me carry her." Luca offers. 

"I can do it." Rob says as he doesn't trust him yet. 

"Are you sure?" Luca seems to doubt Rob's strength. Rob has always been lean but doesn't mean he isn't strong. Like me, I'm sure Rob has been training in this prison so he doesn't waste away.

"let's see if you are as good of a shot as your old man." Rob mutters bitterly. His voice shakes with a little rage as he says this. 

"Your call." Luca leads the way. Rob gives me his shoulder to lean on. 

"Here. For protection." He hands Rob and me both a handgun. I don't know where he pulled those from.

"Also, I wasn't lying when I said your relatives are here. There are still a lot of guards and Lucian's men roaming around so they might still be preoccupied. Also, the place is really big."

____

A/N

I hope it wasn't TOOOO obvious that Amber and Luca were siblings..that Luca was Lucian's son. I mean I was trying to make it obvious, but not TOO obvious.

Ahhhh, what do you think????? 

I hope it wasn't horrible :(

Please comment to let me know!

Vote if you liked<3

Thank you for waiting!!! I have been finishing my summer online class along with my internship hours so it's been rough. I don't have wifi so that's also rough haha. 

Thank you again!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.4K 628 27
Cassidy Lockwood is the nerd of Bayview High. She's bullied by the 'popular' group at school but has a great home life. Her best friend Koda Slade is...
961 105 20
They murdered my mom and they murdered my brother, leaving me without a family. What do you think I am going to do next? Run? Stay put? Hide out...
199K 4.6K 48
I've always been told me to value my family. To love and cherish them. I always did until one frightful day that my entire family collapsed and it wa...
16M 530K 42
As the only daughter to one of the most powerful Mafia families, Shay has sought to figure out her own path despite the overbearing pressures from he...