It All Began With A Letter

By innocentuniverse

Letters. Who knew they could hold your future? Your love? Your job? A fortune? Good news? Bad news? Change mo... More

It All Began With A Letter
Chapter 1: Meeting Asher
Chapter 2: Ice Cream
Chapter 3: Hidden Talent
Chapter 4: Matching Names and Faces With Jerks
Chapter 5: Flirting In Class
Chapter 6: Party Time
Chapter 7: Healing Burns
Chapter 8: Italian Restuarant
Chapter 9: Clubbing Hard
Chapter 10: Re-meeting Sam
Chapter 11: Shopping Time
Chapter 12: Free Period
Chapter 13: Wish You Were Here
Chapter 14: Everyone Has Problems
Chapter 15: Dealing With Danny
Chapter 16: Depressing News
Chapter 17: Memories
Chapter 18: Songs to Play
Chapter 19: A Day I Want To Forget
Chapter 20: The Dinner
Chapter 21: We're More Alike Than You Think
Chapter 22: The New Student
Chapter 23: Malibu
Chapter 25: Candy
Chapter 26: Takes Being A Rebel To Know One
Chapter 27: Young Forever
Chapter 28: Home Sweet Home...
Chapter 29:Graduation
NOT A CHAPTER. JUST A NOTE!

Chapter 24: Counting Stars

364 9 5
By innocentuniverse

I walked down the side walk, the rest of the group following closely behind me so that none of us got lost in the sea of people.

Since I was so familiar with Malibu (not so much anymore), but I still knew where quite a few places were, Logan had decided to have me bring them somewhere for lunch. The rest of them agreed and now, here I was, walking towards Sheryl's Diner.

My family and I used to eat here a lot. We loved the fact that although Malibu was really crowded with people and a popular place, the diner wasn't like that.

Instead, it felt like you were in the suburbs, not a city. It felt warm, cozy, and the food was amazing. It wasn't fancy either. It was just regular food; burger, hot dogs, fries, pasta, and all that stuff.

When I had been asked to show them somewhere to eat for lunch, it took me a few minutes to make up a list of my favorite places to eat. Then, as soon as I remembered the diner, I didn't bother naming anything else. I figured that there, there had to be at least one thing everyone liked.

We approached the diner and suddenly, I felt a wave of memories hit me.

"Here it is," I told my friends. My voice came out shaky and I'm not even sure they knew what I said.

I felt a hand rub my back and turned to see Claire giving me a gentle smile. I smiled back at her before stepping into the diner, the other trailing behind.

We waited to be seated. When the person seating us finally came, I realized it was Felicia, one of the servers that had been here while I had still been living here.

When she glanced up at me, she cocked her head to the side in a questioning matter.

"Do I know you from somewhere?" she asked me.

I gave her a small smile. "I'm still the same old buttercup I used to be," I said, using the nickname she had always called before.

Her eyes went wide and her mouth snapped open before she gave me a bone-crushing hug.

"Riley!" she exclaimed pulling back. "Oh, gosh! Wait till Daisy finds out you're here!"

I had totally forgotten about Daisy! Daisy worked here at the diner and was one of my close friends. She was about 3 years older than me. Whenever I came to the diner alone, I'd always sit at the counter and whenever she saw me, she'd give me a small before calling my order out to the chef. Then she'd walk out from behind the counter and take a seat next to me on the stool and we'd chat before her boss forced her to go back to work.

Her boss, Chris, was very fond of me. He always said I was the most interesting person he's met. I wonder if I still am now.

Now, turning my attention away from my thought and back towards Felicia, I said, "Just seat these guys and I'll be with them in a moment please."

She nodded before giving me one last hug. Then, she was off and was seating my friends.

I approached the counter and found an empty stool. I sat on it and waited. Finally, Daisy approached, her dirty blond hair thrown up in a messy bun, her apron tied around her waist.

She pulled her notepad and a pen out of her apron pocket before walking towards me.

"What can I get for you?" she asked in her usual chirpy voice. That's what I loved about her. She was so full of spirit.

"Um, the usual," I told her.

She sent me a questioning glance. "Sorry, but I don't know your usual."

"Um, can I see Chris please?" I asked.

She gave me an awkward look before sighing and walking off towards the back to get Chris. She returned shortly after, Chris at her heels.

He looked at me and smiled. "What can I do for you?"

"I have a question."

"Yes?"

"Am I still the most interesting person you know?" I asked with a smirk.

He gave a questioning glance to Daisy. Then, something clicked in his head because he turned back towards me as a smile grew on his face.

"I can't believe it!" he said as he began to walk out from behind the counter.

"I can't believe Daisy doesn't remember me," I told him.

"Eh, I have to say, you do look different," he told me as he looked me over.

"Um, who are you?" Daisy asked, still unsure. Sometimes she could be really slow.

"Well according to my birth certificate, I'm Riley," I told her.

Next thing I knew, I was choking. Her grasp on me was unbelievable.

"Choking" I managed to get out.

She released me and gave me a sly smile. "Sorry."

I chuckled, "It's fine. Anyways, I got some people for you guys to meet. And I seriously do want my usual."

Daisy laughed before yelling my order out to the chef in the back, just like in the good old days.

***

When we found the table where everyone was sitting at, I walked up to them and began introducing everyone to each other.

"Guys, this is Chris. The manager of this awesome place. Chris, this is Ashley, Logan, Asher, and Claire," I told him as I pointed out my friends to him.

"And this," I said motioning to my other side, "is Daisy."

"I'm Asher," Asher said, extending his hand out with a wink.

"And I'm taken," she said with a smirk as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Yep, definitely Riley's friend," Logan said.

We all laughed at that, except Asher, who's plan had obviously failed.

***

After we had finished eating, and Chris told us not to pay, it was on the house, we continued to explore Malibu.

Then, as it began to get late and we were all tired, we headed back to the hotel where we were staying.

We were all sharing one huge room. And when I say huge, I mean huge. It literally had three queen size beds, two couches, a Foosball table, two mini fridges, a 60' plasma screen TV, and 2 full bathrooms.

We had decided that Claire would get her own bed, Ashley and Logan would share a bed, and I'd get my own as well. Asher had decided that'd he'd be nice and just take the couch.

Everyone was fast asleep but I couldn't fall asleep. Instead, I replayed every single moment of my life that I could simply remember. Doing that, I let out a few tears but quickly wiped them away.

Knowing that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep, I decided to take out my phone and text Mason.

Hey. How's everything back at home?

He replied almost instantly.

Good but not the same without you :) How's things in Malibu?

So then proceeded to tell him everything that happened since I woke up this morning all the way to what I was doing right now.

Hang in there. And if you ever need me, call me. I don't care what time it is.

I smiled at his message before replying.

Thanks, Mason (:

After I sent it, I got up out of bed slowly and headed over to the mini fridge, taking out a peach yogurt.

I walked over to the kitchen and grabbed a spoon in the drawer before quietly slipping out onto the balcony.

I gazed up at the night sky. It was probably around two in the morning and I could see all the stars. So, I decided to count the stars. Apparently, it helps you sleep at night plus I really needed to take my mind off all those other things.

I was on twelve when I heard the door to the balcony slide open.

I turned to face Asher in his half naked glory, his hair messed up making him look sexier.

I blushed and slowly turned back around and continued counting.

Thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, oh wait, no! That's just a plane. Back to fourteen, okay now fifteen, sixteen...

I was snapped out of my counting when I felt Asher's arms wrap around me and hold me close.

I don't think either of us had really expected him to do that. Part of me froze because I wasn't sure what to do and I wanted to be mad at him, but the other part wanted me to get over it and lean into him, finally feeling safe.

"I've wanted to do this for a while now," he whispered into my ear in a husky voice. He tightened his grip on me and pulled me closer to him.

I felt my heart pace multiply rapidly. I just stayed silent though and continued to count.

Twenty-four, twenty-five, twenty-six, twenty-seven...

He pulled away and I was happy. Then he wouldn't have to feel my heart beat going crazy like it was on steroids.

"I'm sorry about earlier. I just didn't want you to get hurt and I was being a flirtatious asshole," he told me.

I tried not to laugh as he called himself a 'flirtatious asshole.'

Instead, I took another spoonful of my yogurt.

"Listen, Riley," Asher began. He didn't have time to finish it though because my phone went off.

I answered it quickly, scared to wake the others up. I didn't even know who I just answered my phone to.

"Hello?" I asked quietly.

"Riley!" Mason's voice said on the other line.

I breathed a sigh of relief. It was just Mason.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked him casually as if he had not just interrupted something.

"Nothing. You okay? You haven't answered my texts," he told me.

I frowned. "No, you didn't answer my text," I argued back.

"Riley, check your phone," he said impatiently.

I pulled the phone away from my ear and went to my menu before clicking on the 'messages' button. Sure enough, I had five texts from Mason. How did I not hear it?

I sighed and pulled the phone back to my ear.

"Sorry," I said sheepishly. "Anyways, I have to go. I just ate so maybe I'll be able to get some sleep. I'll talk to you tomorrow okay, Mason?"

"Sure, stay safe," he told me. "Love ya girly." he said mimicking a high-pitched girl's voice.

"Omg, TTYLXOX!" I said mimicking him back.

He laughed on the other end before hanging up. I chuckled before sticking my phone back in my sweatpants pocket.

"You're going to bed?" Asher asked.

I turned to face him and saw that his face had a pained expression on it. Not even the darkness could hide that or the sadness in his voice.

I stared down at my feet and then gave him a small smile.

"I don't know. Maybe. This time, I might actually be able to go to sleep," I told him quietly.

He slowly nodded before heading back inside and laying down on the couch.

I sighed as I counted three more stars, making a number of thirty stars I've counted. Then, I walked back inside to our hotel room and threw away my yogurt before slowly putting the spoon in the sink so it would make a loud noise.

I slowly crept over to the couch where Asher was and tapped on his arm.

He opened his eyes and looked at me. I then felt so guilty for telling him I was tired.

"You can share the bed with me," I told him quietly. It'd make me feel even more guilty if we all had beds and he had to sleep on the couch. Sure, the couch was wicked comfy but it still wasn't fair.

"Riley," he started. I shook my head, cutting him off.

"Please?" I asked him. I just really needed someone to hold me.

And that's what he did. I fell asleep in his arms that night. And it was the best sleep I've had in a while.

It distracted me from everything else; my family, Brittany's family, my ex-boyfriends, the new Jared guy, Mason, my friends, Ashley's parents, school, piano, where I stood with Asher, and so much more. I had as many problems as there were stars in the night sky.

All I knew, was I couldn't do it all alone.

****************************************************************

Author's Note:

Okay, there's your chapter 24 :] hope you enjoyed it. I know it's kind of boring but I felt like I had to put that. Anyways, the next chapter mught be uploaded later or something. It took me forever to post this one because I didn't like how it was so I kept having to redo it but it's finally done.

The song for this chapter is Payphone by Maroon 5 ft. Wiz Khalifa because it's like the best freaking song ever! Plus it the whole "Even the sun sets in paradise" fits the story and the "If happy eve after did exist, I would still be holding you like this" fits the whole Asher wraping his hands around Riley. And I love the song, who doesn't? Especially when it has Wiz Khalifa!

So that's it. Please vote, comment, fan, read, and recommend this to others.

Love you all and thanks!

~writingfreelyxoxo~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5M 179K 55
⭐️ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʀᴇᴀᴅ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ ꜰᴀɴꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴛᴘᴀᴅ ⭐️ ʜɪɢʜᴇꜱᴛ ʀᴀɴᴋɪɴɢꜱ ꜱᴏ ꜰᴀʀ: #1 ɪɴ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ (2017) #1 ɪɴ ᴋʏʟᴏ (2021) #1 IN KYLOREN (2015-2022) #13...
110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...
7.3M 302K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
67.1K 2.7K 37
ᴅɪᴠᴇʀɢᴇɴᴛ; ᴛᴇɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴅɪꜰꜰᴇʀᴇɴᴛ ᴏʀ ᴅᴇᴠᴇʟᴏᴘ ɪɴ ᴅɪꜰꜰᴇʀᴇɴᴛ ᴅɪʀᴇᴄᴛɪᴏɴꜱ.