The Dragon's Scale (COMPLETE...

By Cross-Warrior

Classic J-RPG and anime elements collide with the Young Adult fiction writing style in this modern fantasy bo... More

The Dragon's Scale
1.1 || Invasive Dreams
1.2 || Invasive Dreams
2.1 || No Pain, All Gain
2.2 || No Pain, All Gain
2.3 || No Pain, All Gain
3.1 || Explosive Rage
3.2 || Explosive Rage
3.3 || Explosive Rage
4.1 || To Protect a Life
4.2 || To Protect a Life
4.3 || To Protect a Life
4.4 || To Protect a Life
4.5 || To Protect a Life
5.1 || A Tale of Sacrifice
5.2 || A Tale of Sacrifice
6.1 || Finding Sanctuary
6.2 || Finding Sanctuary
7.1 || Over the Clouds
7.2 || Over the Clouds
7.3 || Over The Clouds
8.1 || Only The Beginning
8.2 || Only the Beginning
8.3 || Only the Beginning
9.2 || Field Experience
9.3 || Field Experience
10.1 || An Impossible Promise
10.2 || An Impossible Promise
11.1 || Aftermath
11.2 || Aftermath
11.3 || Aftermath
11.4 || Aftermath
12.1 || Nightly Visit
12.2 || Nightly Visit
13.1 || Crumbling Worlds
13.2 || Crumbling Worlds
14.1 || The Past's Hold
14.2 || The Past's Hold
15.1 || Breaking the Seals
15.2 || Breaking the Seals
16.1 || Rescue Mission
16.2 || Rescue Mission
17.1 || Pesty Problem
17.2 || Pesty Problem
18.1 || Unrestful Night
18.2 || Unrestful Night
18.3 || Unrestful Night
19.1 || Ghost Town
19.2 || Ghost Town
20.1 || Bloodied Waters
20.2 || Bloodied Waters
21.1 || Place on the Team
21.2 || Place on the Team
22.1 || Survival
22.2 || Survival
22.3 || Survival
----Editing Point----
||Chapter 26.1||
||Chapter 26.2||
||Chapter 27.1||
||Chapter 27.2||
||Chapter 28||
||Chapter 29||
||Chapter 30.1||
||Chapter 30.2||
πŸ‰πŸ‰Now That We're DoneπŸ‰πŸ‰
πŸ‰πŸ‰TDS Sequel πŸ‰πŸ‰
πŸ‰πŸ‰The Dragon's Scale FanfictionπŸ‰πŸ‰
πŸ‰πŸ‰50k Special: Mara PoVπŸ‰πŸ‰
πŸ‰πŸ‰75k Special: Xander PoVπŸ‰πŸ‰
πŸ‰πŸ‰Birthday Special: A FriendπŸ‰πŸ‰
πŸ‰πŸ‰ Character Aesthetics πŸ‰πŸ‰

9.1 || Field Experience

2.3K 267 2K
By Cross-Warrior

WHEN JOSH IMAGINED a life where dragons existed and became soul-bound to humans, he never thought it would include chores. Yet here he was, swinging a hoe into soil in the Sanctuary's agricultural zone.

He pursed his lips as he swung again. Okay, but maybe I'm connected to lightning because I strike fast?

Ioana has proven more than enough that you don't strike fast enough.

Geez, Boomer. Thanks for the reminder, Josh grumbled. He sighed. I really wish that rushing into stuff would have been the answer.

Akachi had made a remark about it during a sparring session, but no matter how much Josh focused on rushing in during a fight, he didn't feel anything.

Maybe I'm not connected to lightning.

Don't speak such foul words, Boomer said. If you're bonded to me, you have to be connected to the coolest element.

Josh rested his hoe on the ground, leaning against it while taking a water bottle out of his pocket. He examined those around him while he took a long swig. A handful of unbonded people worked to till the field as well.

He glanced past them to the entrance of the Sanctum. The shift should only last a few more minutes, and then he could go find Boomer and enjoy some shade.

It's been a month, and I've got nothing, Josh finally said as he went back to work. Either it's not lightning or I really suck at this.

Boomer huffed. Maybe if you weren't distracted by Mara during all your lessons with Hisato...

"Josh!" someone called before he could reply.

Did I just summon her? Boomer asked.

Josh perked up as he turned toward the voice. Mara stood at the entrance of the area. She waved him over when she saw him looking.

If you have that power, you've gotta teach me, Josh said as he walked in her direction.

You would melt into a puddle if you were around her too much.

Josh rolled his eyes. When he arrived, Mara was talking to Ines, the woman who watched over the agriculture work.

"—from Xander," Mara said.

Ines glanced at Josh then nodded. "Alright," she said, a slight accent hanging on her words. "I will see you next Saturday, Joshua." She waved to both of them before walking back to the field and barking orders at her brother in Spanish.

"So glad I'm not him," Josh mused. He turned to Mara, a smile growing on his face. "You come to save me from the rest of my shift?"

She rolled her eyes. "This doesn't even make you break a sweat."

He shrugged. "Doesn't make it any less boring. Talking to Boomer can only entertain me for so long."

Hey!

Josh fought off a smirk. Payback, he said.

Mara chuckled. "I suppose so." She started into the Sanctuary, motioning for Josh to follow. When he did, she continued. "Xander sent me to find you."

Josh's eyebrows shot up. That would explain what she said to Ines. "What for?"

"He thought it would be a good time to give you some field experience."

Josh nearly jerked to a stop. "Field experience?" he echoed, unable to hide the hitch of excitement in his voice. He doubted that Xander meant the type of field experience Josh was just doing, which could leave only one other meaning. "I get to do some Paladin work?"

She responded with a simple smile.

"Sweet." He fought the urge to punch the air as a thrill shot through him. "What kind of stuff will I be doing?"

She placed a finger over her lips. "A secret that I'll let Xander tell you."

"Pft, fine then," he said, bumping his shoulder into hers. "Be that way."

People milled around the central courtyard when Josh and Mara arrived. He sent a longing look toward the food tables where people were grabbing their lunches. His stomach rumbled.

"Do you think I'll be able to—"

"Josh!"

Josh turned. Eli stood from a table he shared with their parents and jogged over to him. Not that he had needed to since the table was only a few yards away. "You need something?" Josh asked.

"Can we go play with Boomer again after lunch?"

Josh fought back a groan. "Sorry, Eli, but I don't have time to go see Boomer." Not that he would have wanted Eli to tag along anyways. Ever since they came up to the Sanctuary, it seemed like Eli asked Josh to do stuff every day.

"Oh." Eli deflated. "You have homework again?"

Yes, yes he did. But that wasn't what he meant. He had to hold back another groan. Great, he would have to read about the Napoleonic wars while doing field experience. How lame.

"Xander has something for me to do," Josh said instead.

"And what would that be?" his mom asked from the table. She'd set down her food and tuned into their conversation.

"Some field experience apparently."

She frowned, a small crease forming between her eyes. "Already? But you've received such little training."

Before Josh could voice his annoyance, Mara spoke up. "It won't be anything too difficult, and he won't be alone," she said. "Xander wouldn't send Josh out if he wouldn't be safe."

His mom still didn't seem convinced. His dad reached over and squeezed her shoulder. "Trust Xander. Josh will be fine."

"Okay," she said slowly. She sighed. "Eli, come on over and finish your lunch. Josh needs to get going."

Eli hesitated, his pleading eyes still trained on Josh. "Can we visit Boomer when you get back then?"

"We'll see," Josh said. "I have no idea when I'll be back."

Although he accepted that answer, Eli sulked when he went back to the table.

Eli does know he can visit me by himself, right? Boomer asked as Josh and Mara continued onward. She headed toward the right half of the Sanctuary, opposite of where Josh's lessons took place. I like the kid. He plays chase with me.

Yeah, and my mom was thrilled about the bruises and scrapes he got from the last time you guys played, Josh pointed out.

It's not my fault he tripped on the branch, Boomer grumbled. Josh couldn't figure out how a dragon could sound so pouty.

I know, but they still would rather I be around when you two play now. Anyway, last time I told him he could go without me, he didn't want to go anymore, Josh said.

So I'm only good enough when you're around. Got it.

It would seem that way. Josh smirked. Sorry. Guess you're not cool enough.

I hope you get force fed orc snot.

Laughter burst from Josh before he could hold it back. Mara shot him a confused look, but he waved her off. Understanding passed over her features.

"You and Boomer having fun?"

"Always," Josh replied.

They turned down a hallway and followed it for a few moments before coming to a staircase. It led straight up to a single landing with a closed door. Muffled voices carried from the room, but he couldn't make out what they were saying. Mara shared a look with Josh, grinned, then knocked.

"Come in," Xander called from the other side.

Mara pushed the door open. She stepped in, and Josh followed to find they had arrived at a modern looking office. Xander sat behind an oak desk in a leather seat, a laptop open in front of him. Instead of a back wall, he had a currently open glass door that led to a balcony, sounds of the courtyard drifting through it. Books and files lined the left wall while a plush couch took up the space on the right. Akachi sat there while Cale leaned on the wall beside it.

Xander smiled upon their arrival. "Josh, glad to have you join us. Thank you, Mara. I believe that is all I need."

"Glad to be of help."

Josh whipped his head around to find Mara stepping back toward the door. "Wait, you're not joining us on the mission?"

She paused and tilted her head in his direction. "Oh," she said after a moment's pause. "No, I'm not. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was with Caleb when Xander found him, and he asked me to bring you here."

"Oh. Okay then." His heart changed into a brick of disappointment, but he forced a smile and gave a small wave goodbye. She closed the door behind her, and he turned back to the others.

He kept his eyes off Cale. He had a bad feeling he had just lost a wonderful trip with Mara in exchange for an annoying trip with his least favorite Paladin. Maybe field experience wasn't that great after all.

"Have a seat, Josh," Xander said. When Josh did, he continued, "Well, now that everyone is here, I suppose it is time to explain the mission. Have you learned about the two realms yet?" His eyes rested on Josh.

"Yes." Josh nodded. He had learned about it only the week before. Xander raised an eyebrow, and taking it as prompting, Josh probed his memory. "When it became obvious the magical creatures were too much of a danger for the non-magical part of the world, the Dragon King as well as the Elder Dragons came together to create a separate realm using all of the lingering energy in the world. All magical creatures without souls were dragged into that realm. So now we have two of them. The Energy Realm and ours, the Soul Realm."

There had been more to the tale, like how the effort had killed the Dragon King and how dragons who were killed were taken to the Energy Realm and trapped there. He'd left that part out, though, both because he didn't think that's the part Xander focused on and every time he mentioned it, he felt an odd welling of sadness.

"Very good. I see Shaya still teaches Paladin History very well. Did he also mention the occasional breach?"

"Yes."

"Well"—Xander glanced between all of them—"the Sages have informed us a group of orcs have breached into our realm at the Garajonay National Park on La Gomera."

Ha. Orc snot is possible then, Boomer said.

Josh ignored him and fought against the surge of excitement. When he'd learned that game-like monsters could appear, he had nearly raced out of class to go find some. Then Shaya had mentioned the amount of deaths from sudden realm breaches.

This was real, not a game. Orcs weren't cool; they were a threat. He took a deep breath and refocused on Xander.

"The park has been shut down for a small amount of time," Xander continued. "Your mission is simple. Go to the park, find the orcs, and eliminate them."

"And you're sure it will be safe enough to let a new Paladin go?" Cale asked.

He worded it like a casual concern, but a sliver of annoyance slipped into his tone. Josh balled his hands into fists and clenched his jaw despite some similarly casual words he wanted to reply with.

Xander peered at Cale, who shifted against the wall. The Paladin leader seemed to think for a moment before nodding. "Thank you for the reminder, Cale," he said and turned to Josh. "I do need you to promise me one thing if you are to go."

Josh raised his eyebrows. "And that would be?"

"This is a field experience for you and a mission for the others," Xander said. "Your main goal is to observe how they handle the situation and their battling techniques. Fighting should only be a last resort for you. Do you understand?"

Josh hadn't seen much of Xander since he first arrived at the Sanctuary, but now, on the other side of his piercing gaze, Josh was starting to see why Xander was the Paladin's leader. Nothing about his gaze was cruel, but Josh still couldn't refuse it.

He gulped. "I understand."

After a moment, Xander nodded. "Good. Do any of you have questions?"

Only if switching Mara and Cale was an option, but Josh didn't think it would be best to voice that aloud. The other two had nothing to say either.

"Very good," Xander said as he stood. "Then go eat, get packed, and be prepared to leave for your mission in two hours."

Fun Fact: In the original idea of this, Mara did go along instead of Cale, and Josh would be dumb to try to impress Mara... So yeah, you guys think he's stupid about her now? He was actually worse in my mind for a bit...

Woot! A field experience/mission :D I'm sure nothing at all will go wrong during it.  Though Boomer is really rooting for orc snot... How do you think a mission throwing Josh and Cale in the same area is gonna go? Xander may have to worry more about who Josh will wanna fight than if he'll fight...

Let me know your thoughts of the chapter down below, and if you enjoyed, don't forget to vote. Or even join my Patron, which can be found in my bio. The lowest tier only costs $1 a month and gives you access to my discord, where you can get chapter previews and other perks detailed in Now That We're Done.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

132K 7K 92
Josh dreams of dragons. He thinks it's just a welcome escape from everyday life. Until one morning, he wakes up with scales, wings, and a tail. Josh...
619K 39.1K 55
A human seer and an elven prince have one thing in common: a missing sister. Seraiah's dreams have a habit of coming true, but when all her dreams tu...
1.2K 513 31
** When a wish brings devastating consequences, Pan must join forces with a fallen star to stop the walking dead before Neverland sinks into eternal...
10.4K 1.6K 64
|π”Ήπ• π• π•œ 𝕋𝕨𝕠 𝕠𝕗 𝕋𝕙𝕖 π•Šπ• π•¦π•-π”Ήπ• π•¦π•Ÿπ•• β„‚π•™π•£π• π•Ÿπ•šπ•”π•π•–π•€| |Updates once per week on the weekends| The veil separating the realms has weak...