Reflections Beginning (Book 2...

By SandraCorton

Charlie is a girl who lives in two worlds. Her teenage years have been full of demands on her time so she can... More

Chapter 1 Holidays in another World
Chapter 2 - A stranger in the mirror
Chapter 3 - A plan is hatched
Chapter 4 - In need of rescue: one prince and one would be hero
Chapter 6 - The problem with twins and an incredibly old lady
Chapter 7 - Conversations with myself
Chapter 8 - Fairies and Flying Horses
Chapter 9 - Home truths to swallow
Chapter 10 - Frightful dreams and petty jealousy
Chapter 11 - City Dramas
Chapter 12 - Dinner, Dancing and Life Bond Truths
Chapter 13 - Hot kisses and farewells
Chapter 14 - School shocks and dramas
Chapter 15 - Some BFF time
Chapter 16 - Wait there are two?
Chapter 17 - Nothing but strange news
Chapter 18 - Mysteries and Madness

Chapter 5 - One too many surprises

5.4K 157 3
By SandraCorton

Chapter 5 – One too many surprises ©

I opened my eyes blearily wondering why I was overheating. My eyes adjusted to the semi light that signalled the beginnings of dawn as I attempted to roll over. I froze when a masculine groan filled the air around me. Why in bloody hell is there a guy in my bed?

Taking a deep breath I tried to sit up and rubbed my eyes fiercely. I looked around as an arm tightened against me and everything from the last couple of days came pouring through my mind. Caden, I was trapped in the tower in the land of the Fairies with Prince Caden.

Wait! Caden slept on the lounge last night, he had insisted that I take the huge bed. How had he ended up in bed with me then? Not that it wasn’t enjoyable; in fact it was downright delectable.

His arm was wrapped tightly around my waist with his fingers splayed wide across my stomach. One of his legs were slung across both of mine, keeping me trapped in his cocoon of warmth, while his breath caused goose bumps to rise across my throat as it wafted over my skin.

“Caden?” I called out croakily, but no response except a grunt.

I forcibly rolled myself over to face him and he grumbled but pulled me closer when I stopped moving. I couldn’t help but stare as I watched him sleeping. He was so unbelievably gorgeous that he almost took my breath away.

His face was softened in sleep and as much as I wanted to snatch my hand away, I couldn’t stop myself from touching him. I ran my fingers across the pleasant stubble on his chin then on to caress his cheek and gently swipe my finger across his sexy dimple. I touched his soft warm lips and was so focused on them that I never noticed his eyes opening, watching my fascination silently.

“Charlotte?” Oh lord, the husky timbre of his voice sent shivers running up and down my spine.

I snapped from my daze when I noticed he was staring deeply at me. I quickly pushed away from his embrace and felt rather destitute as his warmth was replaced with cold air. I sat and watched him as he stretched languidly and I tried to stop my heart from pounding its way out of my chest with how breath taking he looked.

“How did you end up over here?” I asked him quietly and he looked puzzled for a moment until realization dawned.

“You were having a nightmare so I came over to check on you. You then insisted that I stay with you, so I did.” He said simply as he pushed himself upright in the bed and rumpled his hair endearingly.

“Um okay, I don’t remember any of that.” I frowned at him and tried to smooth out my obviously crazy morning hair while he smiled devastatingly at me.

I was so floored by that smile that I quickly tried to stumble out of bed. Falling on my backside was so not part of the plan but my leg got caught in the sheets and I let out a yelp as I fell onto the floor. A deep red blush stained my face as Caden scurried over to make sure I was okay.

“Are you well?” He asked in concern, though I could see the hint of laughter lurking behind his eyes.

“Just bloody awesome.” I muttered as I pushed myself to my feet.

I heard him gulping in air behind me. I assumed he was trying not to laugh, at least until I turned around and saw the heat in his gaze. Admittedly I’d chucked his baggy trousers and just slept in his shirt, but it’s not like I wasn’t decently covered.

Then I stopped and thought about it. Yes this was decently covered for Earth; in fact I was perhaps overdressed with some of the bikinis I’d seen at the beach. But by Argonian standards what I was wearing would be considered practically naked. My face went an even deeper shade of crimson as his eyes drifted over my body.

“You are stunning my Charlotte.” He told me huskily and all I could do was stare at him, wondering where he got his crazy ideas from.

“Um….okay.” I said vaguely as I stepped away from the bed.

“You do not believe me.” He stated calmly while his eyes locked with mine. I bit the inside of my cheek while considering how to answer.

“Well no.” I finally stuttered

“Why ever not? Has no man ever told you of your immense beauty? You dear Charlotte are quite an overwhelming package of femininity. You are not only delightfully gorgeous but you also have immense power. How has no man ever noticed this?” His words shocked me as did the intensity of his eyes. All I could think about was why he saw me so differently to the way others seemed to.

“Um it’s probably my um clumsiness or my crazy hair and um being the next Ambassador tends to make people run away from me in droves. I also tend to say the wrong thing a lot, and I swear a lot plus sometimes I talk to myself.” I stopped prattling when Caden pushed himself off the bed and approached me with a broad grin on his face.

“That my Charlotte is what makes you unique, captivating, endearing and unbelievably special. In a way I think I am glad that no other man has taken the time to appreciate you as they should.” He told me as he pushed my wild hair behind my ears.

“Um why?” I could barely breathe let alone think coherently when he was this close to me.

“Because my Charlotte it means that you are all mine.” His tone was ridiculously possessive.

I shivered involuntarily but I leaned into his touch as his hand caressed my cheek. At least until my mind caught up and reminded me how much an idiot I’ve made of myself so far this morning and that I really should quit while I was ahead. I turned away from him and instead walked determinedly over to the wall. I could almost feel his frown as his gaze followed me across the room.

“Perhaps you should consider getting dressed before you attempt any feats today.” He said quietly but I could still feel the heat of his eyes from across the room.

“Or perhaps I should go back in bloody time and start this morning again.” I muttered feeling a bleakness wash over me. He was Prince Caden, I reminded myself and he was way out of my league. But I pushed my hands against the immovable wall and pretended to do something constructive.

“That is at least an option you have but I am quite certain that it would not help you any.” He told me firmly causing me to look around at him.

“Why not?” I argued.

“Charlotte who are you most upset with here? I am fairly certain that it is not me.” He pointed out and I frowned biting my lip in thought. “And please do not do that. It is far too alluring.” He almost pleaded with me. My frowned deepened and I gnawed harder, having no idea what he was talking about.

“Huh?”

He was across the room in a heartbeat with his finger stroking softly across my half chewed lip. I went absolutely still as tingles spread throughout my entire being. His soft lips replaced his finger as he gently swiped them across mine. I closed my eyes to the sensations wafting through me before he pulled away, his green eyes bright and scolding hot.

“I do apologise Charlotte. You lure me in every time and I find it incredibly hard to resist you.” He whispered to me as he rested his forehead on mine while staring deeply into my eyes.

Wait, did he just describe me as irresistible? I swear if I wasn’t so dazed by his magnetic eyes I would have snorted with laughter. No guy had ever liked me so I truly doubted his words.

Instead I just watched him wondering if he really meant it or if I was just a convenient female and this was one of his lines. The poor guy had been trapped here for the last two years so I’m guessing it must have got lonely.

“What are you thinking?” He asked me quietly. Seriously how does his breath smell so awesome? I just don’t get it.

“Um…lots of things.” I managed to mutter.

“Be more specific Charlotte.” He demanded quietly.

“You’re Prince of this world. When were out of here you’ll be gone back to your life and I’ll go back to mine on Earth. Look it doesn’t matter, let’s just try and get out of this damn tower.” I finally finished my babbling.

Before he could say anything in response I quickly focused my mind on the swirling pattern I remembered from yesterday. I closed my eyes and when I opened them I missed his warm embrace. It was all great I’d made it out of the tower but I missed him which only fuelled my rage at myself.

At least there were no Fairies, so that was a bonus. The only bad thing it was bloody freezing out here. My limbs began shivering as I finally found my bag under a huge pile of dust; I shook it violently until all the dust was removed.

“Charlotte are you there?” Caden asked panicked “What were you thinking? You just disappeared from my arms. Am I really that bad? Please be out there Charlotte.”

“I’m here.” I managed to say through my chattering teeth.

“What is wrong?” He asked as concern wiped away the panic in his voice.

”Its bloody cold out here.” I told him angrily.

“Then push the button and get back in here.” He demanded in frustration which just made me want to argue back at him. Instead I swiftly pushed the button and remembering my bag this time I dashed back into the warm tower. At least this time there was a lot less dust.

I stood shivering as the wall closed again, at least until Caden’s arms surrounded me. I could barely contain my shudders as he lifted me up and carried me into the bathroom. I wrapped my arms tightly around his neck and took a deep breath.

How did he smell so good? Like some tropical fruit with a hint of earth and rainforest. His scent was almost intoxicating this close up and I couldn’t resist putting my frozen nose against his skin and taking an even deeper breath. A small groan escaped him and I blushed, finally realizing what I was doing.

“You need to get warm.” He told me hoarsely as he sat me down and turned on the shower.

I enfolded my arms around my middle while trying desperately trying to convince myself that I missed the warmth he provided not him. He left me in the bathroom as I quickly undressed and hopped under the warm stream of water. My skin prickled as the blood began coursing back through my limbs and I grumbled.

By the time I got out and dressed myself warmly from the clothes in my bag, I had persuaded myself that I would just have to be friends with Caden. There was no way once he saw any other girl that he would still feel the same way toward me. Seriously, I was just plain ole Charlie and nothing would ever change that.

“I have breakfast ready for you.” Caden said as I left the bathroom, so I walked and sat down at the table “I have upset you.” He stated and I shook my head with a grimace.

“Can we not worry about this anymore? It’s more important we figure out how we are getting out of here and what we are going to do.” I told him, changing the subject abruptly and he sighed.

“Fine. How are your weapon skills?” He asked sternly and I just looked at him, feeling taken aback.

“Non-existent.” I told him with a snort “Nobody ever bothered to teach me. I guess they assumed I would always have my magic to protect me.”

“Then that is where we will start.” He said determinedly.

True to his word, once breakfast was cleared we pushed all the furniture back against the wall. Caden grabbed some rather rusty ceremonial swords from under a pile of filthy rags and handed one to me.

I grasped it hesitantly, trying to get a feel for it and was immensely surprised when it felt comfortable. I slashed it through the air experimentally and suddenly felt an incredible wealth of power surge through me.

“Begin.” Caden said in a softly but deadly voice as he raised his sword against me.

I knew I should have been terrified but a huge surge of adrenaline rushed around me and I grinned at him. With one quick thrust, my sword barely missed him and he returned my grin with a cocky one of his own.

For the next hour or so we slashed back and forth, neither of us gaining or scoring any hits. Sweat was pouring off me when I first saw my opportunity. With one quick flick of my sword I had unarmed him and my sword point was against his throat.

“I bow to you Warrior Woman and Sorceress of my heart.” His soft but fiercely said words startled me. I quickly dropped my sword and stepped away from him as he bowed deeply to me.

“What? You let me win right? Please tell me you let me win.” I almost pleaded with him. I can’t have won that intense battle just now, I just can’t. I’ve never even touched a sword until today.

“Do you know what my major talent is Charlotte?” He asked as he stepped closer to me.

“Don’t call me that!” I said panicked as I stepped further away from him.

“My major talent is Warrior. I am a Supreme Warrior as well and you just bested me. You are the first person in a long time to best me.” His words were smothered with awe.

“No! But you had no magic that is the only reason I beat you.” I latched onto the only thing I could think of to support him losing to me a beginner, but he shook his head fiercely.

“Magic is nothing without skill, and your skills are phenomenal.”

“No!” It was all I could say as I took another step back and ran into a wall. Caden just stepped closer, his eyes wide with wonder, amazement and a tiny smidge of fear.

“What are your elements?” He asked abruptly and I just looked at him like an idiot having no idea what he was talking about. “Your elements Charlotte?” I just shrugged at him.

"What elements?" I asked cautiously.

“How do you have no idea what I am talking about? You had to have done your elements test when you were read the Rites of Passage. Most kids do their element test with their friends long before it is officially tested. I did mine with Markus jokingly one night; I am Air with just a hint of Fire.” He explained which still didn’t help me.

“Most Argonian kids don’t grow up on Earth.” I said my tone matter of fact and he clicked his fingers.

“Of course I forgot. Officially though you should have done the test.”

“I don’t remember it.” I told him quietly as I flicked through my memories.

“Then I will test you now.” He murmured excitedly as he rushed away from me.

I watched as he gathered some curious things into the middle of the room but stood away from him not sure if I wanted to be tested. He sat down then crooked his finger at me. I hesitantly walked over to him and sat where he gestured opposite him.

“I will present you with one item and one word. You must decide what that means and to do as you see fit.” He said in an official voice. I felt a stroke of panic lick through me. What if I had none of these elements? What if I completely flopped?

He handed me a big strangely shaped rock, placing it on the floor in front of me while stating the word move. I looked at him while biting my lip but he pointed encouragingly at me. Okay move I thought that seemed easy enough. I focused my gaze on the rock while thinking move and was shocked when it went flying across the room into the wall then shattering into tiny pieces. The amazed look on his face told me that was not supposed to happen.

Then he handed me a thick piece of denim like fabric with the word fly. To both our surprise, it fluttered delicately all the way to the ceiling for an extremely long time before floating gently into the palm of my hand. He pointed to the fabric and said burn as soon as it landed.

I glared at the fabric until a brilliant blue flame leapt from my fingers, shocking the absolute hell out of me, at least until I started yelping as it burnt my hand and I threw it on the ground. Without even thinking I made the bowl of water sitting next to Caden jump out in one huge wave to quench the fire.

Silence surrounded us as Caden stared at me, the look of shock, amazement and admiration evident on his face was making me feel incredibly nervous. I bit my lip anxiously not sure what to say or what had just happened in this room.

“Charlotte you do realize that you are quite truly the most powerful person on all of Argonia?” He asked me so quietly that I almost missed it.

“Pfffft! What about Ben or even my Dad?” I questioned, not quite ready to believe him.

“Ambassador Ben has only three elements as does your father. You have all four which are more powerful that anything I have ever seen. Look I will prove it.” He picked up another piece of fabric and focused. It didn’t move and he frowned. “That is right, I have no magic. Charlotte I am considered very powerful in Air and I can only raise the fabric to just above my hand. So can you now understand exactly how strong your elements are?”

“Um….geez why does this stuff always happen to me?” I cursed quietly to myself and was surprised when Caden let out a chuckle.

“You are so very unique. Any other Argonian would be over the moon to have this much power. My question though is why you never did the test?” I just shrugged at him not having a clue.

“I don’t know, unless Dad already knew about it. They made me do the Rites of Passage surrounded by heaps of officials I’ve never even seen before, so I don’t really remember much about that day.” I explained as he watched me intently.

“Well my Warrior Woman, Traveller extraordinaire and Sorceress, you are nothing if not a constant surprise to me. At least now I know you will be able to take care of yourself which means we will most certainly be able to leave soon.” He told me humorously and I nodded and watched as he walked away. I had so many questions that I didn’t know where to start.

“Warriors are powerful aren’t they?” I asked softly. He glanced back at me and nodded seriously “Then how can I be both a Traveller and a Warrior?”

“That I am unsure of but I know for certain that you are a Warrior that is far more superior that I. Charlotte you must understand I have duelled with some of the fiercest Warriors on Argonia and only you and a few others have ever been able to best me. So unless you used magic against me today-“

“No I didn’t I swear to you.” I interrupted.

“Then my Darling you bested me by being a far superior Warrior than I.” He repeated his sentence before turning to walk away.

How on either Earth or Argonia had I become someone of such power? I had to admit it terrified me but in a way Caden’s response scared me even more. How could he be so calm when I just took the one thing from him that had essentially been his, for the length of his existence?

“I’m scared.” I whispered into the empty room but there was no answer that came back to soothe me.

It seemed that my earlier assumption had been correct; my crazy quirks had finally pushed him away. I pulled my knees to my chest and wrapped my arms around them tightly. Why oh why could I never be normal?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.4K 223 8
A sequel to 'Way Back' [also known as the huge mess Charlie has made]. What if the right person comes at the worst possible time? Would you fix your...
242K 4.3K 14
Charlie was an average girl who hated being average. But that all changed the summer she turned 15. The holidays had rolled around and she was force...
141 29 15
Macy Gray. Unconventional. Strange. Oddball. Way-out there. These terms describes her to a T. A theoretical physicist with the penchant for the fant...
124 46 22
"You're going to be our hero, Juniper." "I don't want to be your hero." "I know that. Trust me I do. But you're the key to saving us. I didn't lie a...