Entertaining the Vampire King

By SavannahMeekins

Highest Rank #4 In Vampire! The year is 1742. As was custom for young women without parents, Ayla was raised... More

Surprise
On the Road
Suffolk
Open Court
Authors Note
Vision
Purpose
Advice
Selection
Sleep
The Bite
Author's note
Truth.
Mistress
Claimed
Mistake
Darkness
Savior
Secrets
Sorted Past
Author's Note
Lost
Tension
Finally
Kindness
Author's note/Cast!
Pain
Run.
The beginning
Let Go.
Awake
Denial
Reunion
Farewell
The Ball
The Ball Part II
Author's Note
I Love You
Painful Surprise
Afraid
Thank You!
My Will
Hey Guys
The Connection
Anecdote
The Need
Good Things Coming
The Box

Mr. Wellington

29.9K 881 84
By SavannahMeekins

Those silver eyes. Those mesmerizing, sexy silver eyes. So last night wasn't a dream after all. I smiled politely at the handsome stranger in front of me. I still didn't know his name.

"I must say, court suits you m'lady." He bowed, and stood with his hand towards mine. "May I please have this dance?" His smile flashed, and every amount of reason I had to say no vanished. He lead me to the floor, where a few dozen women had already coupled up with men. There were almost no single ladies in the room left.

"So, miss..." he began, raising his brow. "Ayla." I responded promptly. "Ah. Ayla. What a gorgeous name, befitting of course. And surname?" "I have none, sir. I am an orphan, here to do my duties for my Duke of Suffolk." I used my best smile with him. "And your name, sir?" He smiled again, his hand on my waist. "Nathaniel, my lady. While I am very pleased to make your acquaintance, I do hope we may proceed further as friends." He led me through a dance. He was flawless. He danced in perfect time, and his hands never left my body. He leaned me into a deep bow, his face mere inches from mine, and the music stopped. He leaned me up, and I stood blushing. As was customary, all of the couples separated, and the ladies went on to look for a different partner.

My eyes darted around the room to find Elizabeth. I saw a green dress, but the shade was wrong. I wondered if she had already been courted away by some handsome lord. I much hoped she had.

Whilst turning my head in distraction, I lost sense of my footing apparently, and knocked head first into a tall man. He was broad, and tan, with defined features. His eyes were a stunning golden color, a gold that was locked into my own stormy blue eyes.

"P-pardon, sir. I did not mean to, I am so sorry." I muttered quickly. If we were back home in Weston, I would have been lashed for knocking into the lord in such a way. I lowered my eyes and waited for the verbal lashing, but there was none. The man's hand met my chin, and pulled it up to meet his gaze.

"I promise you, my lady, you are quite fine. You wouldn't be the first pretty face to fall for me, but let's not get too bothered, shall we?" His voice echoed a laugh. I tried to hide the vexation radiating within me at such an arrogant comment. I had been used to it from the knights when they were in a drunken stupor. Mistress had taught us to always appease men publicly, but never to take it in private quarters. Lords and ladies, alike all royalty, were above us, and they should take care to have a better manner.

"Dance with me." It came out much like an order. Without waiting for a response, he put his hand on my waist, and we were off at the next beat of the music. He flowed as perfectly as Nathaniel. His steps in perfect sync, and it was as though I was being guided by a god. I avoided looking into his eyes, and instead stared directly at his shoulder. His body was solid muscle against mine, and it was all I could do not to melt into it.

"Do you have a house in mind in which you'd like to go to court? There is a good selection here, don't you think?" His tone was even, and relaxed. I composed my breathing. "Well my, um, what is your title, sir?" I reached in my mind for an answer. It was very impolite to call a duke or a even a marquis a lord, and I was unsure of anyone in the room.

"Just call me Mr. Wellington. Or better yet, sir works. Less syllables." He chuckled lightly. I looked up at him.

"No name or title? Curious." I said flatly. "One may say you were trying to hide something, Mr. Wellington. And to answer your question, I know little about the houses. I can only hope for the opportunity at court, and to do my best duties as a lady, Mr. Wellington." I put a seductive tone to his name as the dance finished its final tune. I moved away, only to be stopped by his hand on my back.

"Please, another dance. I have yet to know your name." He smiled with his perfect teeth, boring into me with his smoldering golden eyed stare, and it made me want to stay. But I needed to find Elizabeth.

"Perhaps another time, Mr. Wellington. I must give the other gentleman here a time with me." I reached my hand back to meet his, and pulled it gently away from my body. His face twisted into a face I didn't stay to read. I vowed and turned away, scanning the floor as I went.

I looked through two dances for Elizabeth. I turned down five men for dances, and had to have been ruining my chance at court. Elizabeth would slap me if she knew. But I couldn't let go of the bad feeling in the pit of my gut.

"Excuse me, miss!" I heard a high pitched voice from behind me. I turned with a few other girls to see if it was me it was talking to. The voice was Mary, the small girl from the beginning. She was trotting across the floor hurriedly, stopping in front of me.

"Excuse me, miss. But you have been selected for a court position." She said in a monotone voice. Her expression was plain. "He has requested you be transferred tomorrow at dawn, and you bring all of your belongings. Congratulations miss. What is your name?" She said , her voice becoming faster. How did the man know who to tell her, if she didn't know my name?"

"Ayla, ma'am. My name is Ayla. Are you sure it was me he was referring to?" She nodded quickly. "Yes miss Ayla. Your dress was impossible to miss. Please report here with your driver at dawn, you'll be escorted with the master's men." She turned to walk away, and I put a hand on her shoulder.

"Wait, Mary, who selected me? Where am I going?" I asked. Not that it would matter much, but I might ask William about the house of court, hopefully I wouldn't go in blind. Mary smiled. "You're going to York, dear." She gave me a moment to let the words sink in. "Dawn, miss Ayla. Please be ready." And before I could catch my breath, she was off.

York? That was a two day ride at best. There was only one royal in York, and there was no way he was here tonight, or everyone would have known. York is home of the King Thaddeus himself. I was going to the king's court.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 36.6K 25
❝My people are different, hidden. I have even become a master at staying secret. It's really a miracle that you were able to find me.❞ ❝I'm still t...
326K 18.5K 37
Ayana is a strong woman, and just turning 21 and now it's her time to be passed over to her mate. One that she has never met, and could never love, b...
233K 7.6K 21
Only 18 and her dad gave her up for slavering. She knew it would happen but not today. There she was standing there actually wishing to go back home...
311K 9.8K 20
Addilynn is 18, she has a bright future infront of her. With her incredible intelligence, friendly personality, and beautiful features Addilynn is su...