The Don'ts of Wattpad

By RosesGardens

A list of writing problems common among many Wattpad writers that I have complied over a year of critiquing. More

The Don'ts of Wattpad
Multiple Narrators/POVs
Write in ALL CAPS
Multiple Punctuation Marks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Uncapitalized i's
An Author's Note on a Serious Chapter
Use Numbers Inapropriately
Lack Breaks Between Dialogues
Unidentified Thoughts
Prologue Synopsis
Make Purposeless Chapters
Ask me for a critique

Be general with the Summary

647 34 4
By RosesGardens

You can tell if your summary is general if it feels like its just describing the first two or three chapters, the introduction, the set up not the exposition.

When the summary is general, it's like an empty stage. The backgrounds are beautiful, the curtains are open, and the characters are backstage. the crowd is waiting for the play to start but they have no idea what its about. The only thing they know is the title and what they can interpret from the set peices alone. It could be a comedy, a tragedy, a mystery, a romance, anything, they don't know even though you, who wrote the story and train the actors, know. You can't advertise a play or expect people to understand what it's about by just describing the set. The readers know significantly less than you simply because the  entire story is new to them. For you it has been brooding in your head for months maybe years and you know every character, symbol, and event inside and out, they don't so treat them as such.

What you should talk about is your exposition (or hook) in the summary. The hook is the first event of the story after all the setup has taken place and it is what sets the story into motion and throw the main character past the point of no return.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.1K 1K 7
နိုရာနဲ့ပထွေးဖြစ်သူတို့ဘယ်လိုမျိုးဇာက်လမ်းဖြစ်ကြမလဲ 21+ရိုင်းပါတယ်နော် ကလေးများမဖတ်ပါနဲ့
1.3K 108 15
The Emperor and his lover tried to trap her in their evil plans but little did they know it was not her first life... After returning to her past lif...
338 63 18
𝐂𝐄𝐎 & 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐈𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒 He has a past and so does she . Both are similar yet so different. One is fire other is snowball. ______________...
15.4K 467 25
Unicode ငယ်ကိုအရမ်းမုန်းတာပဲလားမမမုန်း သဲငယ် ငါ့ဘဝမှာမင်းကိုအမုန်းဆုံးပဲ တစ်သက်လုံးမုန်းန...