The Football Boys (DISCONTINU...

By BenRyans

(Wattys2018Longlist) Childhood friends, Luka and Dakota, commit the ultimate drunk mistake and have one unfor... More

Chapter One : Freshmen Year
Chapter Two : The Next Morning
Chapter Three : Sophomore Year
Chapter Four : House Rules
Chapter Five : Let's Pretend
Chapter Six : Normal, Mostly
Chapter Seven : Game Night
Chapter Eight : Blood Line
Chapter Nine : Queen B
Chapter Ten : Toys
Chapter Eleven : Moving On
Chapter Twelve : Make Out, I Mean Up
Chapter Thirteen : Stepping Stone
Chapter Fourteen : Two Steps Back
Chapter Fifteen : Try
Chapter Sixteen : Easy
Chapter Seventeen : Touch
Chapter Eighteen : Co-Captain
Chapter Nineteen : Dark Times Ahead
Chapter Twenty : Wild
Chapter Twenty One : Family Ties
Chapter Twenty Two : Touchdown
Chapter Twenty Three : Puppy
Chapter Twenty Four : Trouble
Chapter Twenty Five : Over
Chapter Twenty Six : New Kid On The Block
Chapter Twenty Seven : Need
Chapter Twenty Eight : Scouted
Chapter Twenty Nine : No I, In Team
Chapter Thirty One : Kissing Booth
Chapter Thirty Two : Moreau House
Chapter Thirty Three : De Angelis House
Chapter Thirty Four : Lockdown
Chapter Thirty Five : The Big Game
Chapter Thirty Six : After Math
Chapter Thirty Seven : After Party
Chapter Thirty Eight : Occhi
Chapter Thirty Nine : PDA
Chapter Forty : The Worst That Could Happen
Chapter Forty One : Preperations
Chapter Forty Two : Homecoming
Chapter Forty Three : The Last Game
Chapter Forty Four : Summertime
Chapter Forty Five : Birthday Boy
Chapter Forty Six : The Last Supper
Chapter Forty Seven : Wait
Chapter Forty Eight : Heavy
Chapter Forty Nine : New Beginnings
Chapter Fifty : Senior Year
Chapter Fifty One : Home
Chapter Fifty Two : Golden Boy Returns
Chapter Fifty Three : Old Relations
Chapter Fifty Four : Good Over Evil
Chapter Fifty Five : There's Something Wrong With Alex
Chapter Fifty Six : Nonni
Chapter Fifty Seven : Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner
Chapter Fifty Eight : Chin Up
Chapter Fifty Nine : Rosso
Chapter Sixty : Snake In My Boot
Chapter Sixty One : The Merchant
Announcement

Chapter Thirty : Big Boy

54.2K 1.8K 759
By BenRyans

A million thoughts went through my mind as I was on the way to the party with Michael and Gemma. Alex would be there with Eva and knowing those two they'd lead Dakota astray from the sober path that I knew he desperately wanted to stay on. But I also knew this was going to happen, I knew it wouldn't be long until he'd be invited to another party, have another drink and pass out somewhere.

"Well, well, well." Queenie said as I walked up the steps of her house that was way too big for a family of three, the loud upbeat music blared behind her as she stood in the doorway.

"Look who came crawling back." She said with a grin. I shoved past her, ignoring anything else that came out of her mouth. I didn't have time for her, nor would I ever. She scoffed, stomping off into a different room. I weaved in and out of the crowd of people, examining every face I came into contact with hoping I'd bump into Dakota. I lost Michael in the crowd and Gemma disappeared completely, leaving me alone. I searched everywhere I could think he'd be but I couldn't find him, wondering if he was even here or if I was on some wild goose chase.

Out of all the places I didn't bother to check, I spotted Alex in the living room right in front of me. He had a beer in one hand and a blonde girl in the other. His stomach moved with each laugh he took. Dakota was sat on the couch beside him, swapping spit with Eva. I stormed up to him, like a bull charging towards a red flag.

"Come on." I said to Dakota, grabbing him by the forearm. Eva clutched onto him as she arched her brow at me and I could tell by the expression on her face, she didn't have a full grip on what I was doing.

"Luka, you came." He slurred with a drunken smile, but didn't budge when I tugged on him, wanting to quickly tail it away from here.

"He's a big boy, he can make his own decisions." Alex said to me with a smirk as he attempted to hand Dakota another drink but I knocked it out of his hand before Dakota could reach it, spilling it all over the floor.

"You little prick." Alex stood up and walked up to me. He towered over me, even when I tiptoed. If we were to fight, he'd have the upper hand. I shoved past him, ignoring him and walking up to Dakota before swinging his arm around my shoulder.

"This isn't over, De Angelis." He yelled behind me but I only took it as an empty threat, part of me hoping he wouldn't be looming behind me. On the way out of the house, I spotted Michael in the crowd. I motioned for him to come over and he ran to my side, helping with the weight of Dakota as he swung his other arm over his shoulder. We carried him out the door, ignoring his incoherent mumbles.

"I got him." I said to Michael.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." I said as he kicked at the ground, averting his eyes from mine.

"I should probably go." He said with a somber smile as he started walking away.
"Wait, Michael-"

"See you around." He smiled before waving and crossing the street. I let out a sigh as I watched him getting further away from me, distancing the space between us and started the journey home, hauling Dakota up and onto my back.

"You gotta help me out." I said to him as I struggled to get him on. He only mumbled in response as he put his whole weight onto me, babbling on about burritos until he muttered something I understood.

"Don't leave me for him." He slurred, resting his head onto my shoulder. I shook my head and started walking down the dark empty streets that were becoming too familiar, making the same journey home with an idiot on my back. I don't think I'd ever have feelings for Michael, as much as I'd want to. I was too tied up in this toxic sticky web with Dakota that I called a friendship. But I couldn't see myself anywhere else, I couldn't imagine who I'd rather be around. Even though he was a pain in my ass, I'd always choose Dakota.

I was half way to my house, just a couple more streets and I would've been in the sweet comfort of my bed, counting sheep but Dakota decided now would be a good time to throw up, when we were nearly there. I stopped at a park close by, setting him down beside a trash can and he went to town on it, practically throwing himself in. I walked over one of the picnic tables and sat down, waiting for him to finish. I felt nostalgic, remembering a night like this had happened before, probably more than once. Dakota sat down beside me, pulling me from my thoughts with the stench of his alcohol ridden breath.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled, seeming less intoxicated after hurling his guts out into the trash can.

"What happened?"
"I don't know. Alex begged me to go and one drink led to another. I thought I could pace myself." He said averting his gaze from mine.

"Next time, come to me. And me only." I said as I stared up at the dark, star filled sky. We sat in silence for a brief moment, giving him time to recover from retching. I had the feeling he wanted to say more, but his drunk state couldn't think of the words to say. I had a million things to say, but it'd be useless talking about it now. More than likely, he wouldn't remember anything from his night.

"Were you always this heavy, Kota?" I asked as I struggled to get him up onto the sill of my bedroom window.

"Or you're just weak."

"Quiet." I said to him in a harsh whisper as I shoved him, head first. He landed with a soft thud but nothing too loud. I let out a sigh of relief, thankful my mom didn't wake to find me sneaking back in with very intoxicated friend. It was risky having a friend like Dakota, but part of me liked the thought of sneaking out. Which begged the question, would we be friends again after this night?

"I'm trying, but everything is spinning." Dakota chuckled, struggling to stand on his own two feet, clutching into his head that took the blow of the fall. I hoped in after him without a sound as my feet landed softly on the carpet. I was getting better at this sneaking thing and that wasn't good. I sat Dakota down on the edge of my bed, repeatedly reminding him to keep quiet while I pull out the extra bed.

"We've slept together before." He mumbled looking at the floor as he swung his feet back forth. I ignored him, setting up the extra bed with a pillow and blanket.

After changing into pajamas, I grabbed a pair for Dakota and threw them his way. He grabbed them, fumbling to get them on. I sighed and walked over to him, grabbing the pajamas from his hands. His motor skills weren't the best right now. I stood him up before sliding his shirt off and throwing it to the floor, averting my eyes and looking else where as I pulled the pajama top over his head. I couldn't help but to sneak a glance at him, his bare chest and stomach, wanting nothing but to throw him on my bed and- no. I shook my head.

"You can do the rest." I said, shoving the pants into his arms before jumping into my bed.

"What if I can't?" He smirked as he turned around to face me. I rolled my eyes and turned over, throwing the cover over my head. After some rustling around, Dakota had fallen asleep but I was still wide awake. Why did I go all the way to Queenie's, just to haul his ass back here was a mystery I don't think I'd ever solve. It was funny, even after the way we treated each other we still cared. I still cared and I would continue caring to crawl back to his helpless side, each time.

The next morning was something I never expected, waking up with no hangover but that didn't stop me from hissing at the sight of the sun that peaked through the navy curtains of my bedroom window. I was beginning to think maybe I was the alcoholic seeing as I went out just as often as Dakota. I was surprised to find him in bed with me, still sound asleep and snoring. I sighed as I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. I reached out to wake him, but stopped myself as I gazed at him. His innocence showed when he slept, almost angel like with his ashy hair that became more light in the sun and his freckles that spread across his face, I almost forget how long his eyelashes were.

"I know you're staring at me." He mumbled into the pillow.

"Don't be so narcissistic." I chuckled as I got out of bed, ruffling his hair as I walked by him. I grabbed some clothes from my dresser and opted to change in the bathroom instead, throwing on a white top paired with simple denim jeans that I was told always looked best on me.

"I'm going to go eat, you go shower." I said throwing Dakota a pair of fresh clothes before leaving the room.

"You look rather happy today." My mom said from the living room as I fixed myself a bowl of cereal, only shrugging in response.

"Michael seems like such a nice boy, you should bring him around more often." She said looking up from her knitting.

"Will do." I nodded before finishing the rest of my cereal. Micheal was in a hurry to leave last night after we found Dakota, barely giving me time to say goodbye. I closed my bedroom door behind me with another bowl of cereal in my hand. I handed it to Dakota, who still looked out it as he sat on the edge of my bed, freshly showered.

"How much did you have to drink last night?" I asked him before sitting in the edge of my bed.

"I don't even know. People were shoving drinks in my face left and right and I thought I could handle it." He paused.

"I didn't want to say no." He shrugged, poking at his cereal with a spoon.

"I like being so drunk to the point where I don't remember anything, that's bad isn't it?" He let out a somber laugh. I stayed quiet, not entirely sure what to say that would give him comfort. He put down his bowl of cereal before leaning onto me, resting his head on my shoulder without saying a word. I hesitated before resting a hand on his, giving him silent comfort. I couldn't push him away, not when he was being open with me.

We spent the rest of the day playing video games and it felt like the times before high school, the times of being in middle school and having sleepovers, staying up all night being idiots, before the alcohol and the parties. Dakota paused the game and turned to look at me. I stared at him, confused with an arched brow.

"Thanks for last night."

"Who else is supposed to take care of you?" I chuckled, half joking.

"I know I don't say this as much as I should but I'm sorry. For getting jealous over stupid shit, for fighting, for trying to kiss Eva that night, for everything."

"It's okay." I mumbled with a shrug and a half smile.

The rest of the weekend was spent in my room. No going out, no drinking, just us, video games and food. The only things I ever needed, right there in my bedroom. Dakota and I hadn't spoken a word about what would happen between us, I assumed that for the time being we'd remain friends even though I knew he wouldn't treat it that way. I tried my best to keep him in check that weekend, even when he begged me to go to another party with that puppy eyed look I'd always fall for. For now I'd have to take the role of babysitter, once again, but if I was being completely honest, I missed it.

A/N vote, comment and tell me what you think :) Will Dakota change this time? Should Luka be with him again? Let me know :) Also I looked into it and in some cases freshman can be quarterbacks!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.9K 2.3K 19
Opening up to people can be difficult after being closed off for many years, but you've got to start with someone. For Luke, that someone was the boy...
49.6K 1.5K 72
Sebastian has been through a lot after realizing that he was gay. His parents took it in stride but his school and town were less than friendly about...
1K 36 32
He is my best friend... And also... My lover.... And abusier... -------------- Sebastian and Dakota have been friends ever since 2nd grade and have n...
8.5K 389 36
Mike is supposed to be the next captain of his school's basketball club, but the 17 year old play boy is distraught because he has to move after his...