Reflections Beginning (Book 2...

By SandraCorton

Charlie is a girl who lives in two worlds. Her teenage years have been full of demands on her time so she can... More

Chapter 1 Holidays in another World
Chapter 2 - A stranger in the mirror
Chapter 3 - A plan is hatched
Chapter 5 - One too many surprises
Chapter 6 - The problem with twins and an incredibly old lady
Chapter 7 - Conversations with myself
Chapter 8 - Fairies and Flying Horses
Chapter 9 - Home truths to swallow
Chapter 10 - Frightful dreams and petty jealousy
Chapter 11 - City Dramas
Chapter 12 - Dinner, Dancing and Life Bond Truths
Chapter 13 - Hot kisses and farewells
Chapter 14 - School shocks and dramas
Chapter 15 - Some BFF time
Chapter 16 - Wait there are two?
Chapter 17 - Nothing but strange news
Chapter 18 - Mysteries and Madness

Chapter 4 - In need of rescue: one prince and one would be hero

5.3K 177 1
By SandraCorton

Chapter 4 - In need of rescue: One prince and one would be hero ©

Two days later I was sitting at the base of the tower, cursing quietly to myself. I was officially stuck in the land of the bloody fairies with no magic to help me. But I couldn't leave until I figured a way to get Caden out of this damn rock solid tower. I had even considered scaling it with my bare hands at my most desperate moment.

Today I decided to wander around the base to see if it could yield anything. It was already lunchtime with the relentless sun beating down on me and I hadn't even made it halfway around yet. Disgruntled I sat down against the wall and tried to consider any other alternative.

"Charlotte, are you well?" Caden called from far above me.

"Yeah I'm fine. I think I've got a bit to go yet." I laughed sarcastically at my own ineptitude.

"I really am sorry." He told me again for the hundredth time which made me roll my eyes.

"My Dads going to kill me." I muttered as I flopped against the insurmountable tower.

A crumbling noise disturbed me and I quickly pushed myself away from the wall. Where I had been sitting some rocks had tumbled away. As I looked closer, I was surprised to see what looked like an archway that had been filled in at some point. A tiny glimmer of hope burst in me as I quickly excavated some more rocks.

"Okay don't get your hopes up but I may have found something." I yelled up to Caden.

"Like what?" He asked excitedly as I accidentally pulled out the mother of all rocks.

"Just um....crap!" I screamed as a whole pile of rocks fell on me. I coughed in the dust as I pushed rubble out of my way. Well that was a brilliant plan!

"Charlotte?" I heard Caden calling out frantically.

"Yeah don't worry, I'm fine." I said croakily.

I blinked in the dust surrounding me and gaped. The rocks had been covering up a beautiful polished hidden spiral staircase that hugged the sides of the tower. Caden was still calling out to me, getting increasingly panicked.

"Chill out Caden, I'm fine. I've found something peculiar so just give me a minute." I told him

I loved exploring and these stairs had me itching to climb them. Of course I was hoping they would lead to Caden but that was the mystery to be solved. I quickly grabbed my backpack from where I had dropped it and began walking up the stairs.

They seemed surprisingly dust free and clean, while the walls where all smooth and covered with motifs that I just had to stop to look at. Images of the blonde haired, blue eyed Goddess featured in all of them.

She was giving blessings to her followers or showing her wrath in some wild weather or standing smiling down at her world. The higher I walked the more of her story was revealed and I was thoroughly enjoying it, except for the occasional spider web.

Before I knew it I was at the top of the stairs looking around me in frustration. There was nothing here, absolutely nothing. I glanced at the curious pattern on the wall until it seemed to merge into one arrow pointing in a specific direction.

I turned around to where it was pointing expectantly and still saw nothing. I cursed aloud and stamped my foot, this seemed completely useless.

“Charlotte?” I heard Caden’s voice that was slightly muffled by the wall between us.

“Caden?” I tried to pin point where his voice was coming from “Keep talking to me.”

The wall was determined not to give up its secrets but there was no way I was letting a wall beat me. I pushed against it until I felt exhausted but nothing. I could hear Caden’s voice reading to me through the wall and it soothed me incredibly.

I sat down to consider things, there had to be a way to get this wall open otherwise why would anyone bother building a staircase up to here. Ah logic how much it seemed to be laughing at me right now!

Maybe there was some sort of crazy secret passage. Maybe I would have to use my magic, which wouldn’t be a good plan after the other day. Or maybe there was a switch to turn that would make the wall retreat. I sat pondering my thoughts for most of the afternoon while staring at the swirling arrow pattern. There had to be a hint somewhere.

When I finally found it, boy did I feel like an idiot. A tiny button that had been decorated around in the heart of the swirling pattern was prominent only when one has stared at it for a few vague hours. I tentatively pushed it wondering if anything would even happen. A deep booming grating sounded that caused me to step back apprehensively.

The whole wall moved causing dust to fly in all directions. I coughed uncontrollably but felt my lungs fill with age old dust regardless. My eyes watered and I staggered to lean against the wall, unable to see anything. I tried to wipe my eyes which only spread the dust into a wet smear across my face.

“Charlotte?” I heard his voice getting closer but I couldn’t control my cough.

Ugh what a way to meet the most gorgeous guy ever, covered in dust and a few days worth of sweat and grime from trying to get into the tower. I felt deliciously warm arms surround me and lift me up before carrying me back down the stairs out of the dust plume.

He leaned me against the wall and before I could move he was wiping away the tears from my eyes watering. He peered at me with such a look of concern that I was overwhelmed momentarily.

“Are you well?” He asked me in a soft voice as he stared at me.

I had to look away from those piercing green eyes that were making me rather dumbstruck. I just forced myself to nod as my cough finally began to recede. His finger tipped my chin up so I had to look at him and all I could see was his wonderful smile shining down upon me while spreading it’s warmth through me.

“I’m fine.” I finally muttered as I tried to look away again but he wouldn’t allow it.

“You did it Charlotte, you managed to rescue me.” His words were filled with wonder as his finger stroked my dusty cheek, causing me to shiver.

“Not really, it was just dumb luck.” I told him with a shrug.

“You are far too modest.” He told me which made me frown “You do realise the reward for saving a member of the Royal Family?”

“Uh I don’t want to know. I have enough hassles in my life being the next Ambassador. Plus we are still in the land of the fairies; we’ve got a long way to go before you’re officially rescued.” I stated to his surprise “Also once we are out of here my Dad is probably going to ground me for life for disobeying Ben’s orders.” I prattled on and was puzzled when all he did was continue smiling at me “What?” I finally asked.

“You are unlike any person I have ever known. It is so very refreshing being around you.” He said with a cheeky grin as he pushed my hair behind my ears.

“Um…” My brain shut down as his fingers touched the side of my face and all I could do was force myself to breath.

“For rescuing a member of the Royal Family of Argonia we are indebted to you for life. Whatever you want is yours. You are protected and revered above all others." He told me in a very official voice which just made me groan in anguish. There was nothing worse than being the centre of attention.

“Right new plan, once we’re out of Fairy land I’m zapping myself home so that whole thing you just said doesn’t get put into motion. Plus are you forgetting that older me actually trapped you there? You should be burning me at the stake not making promises in my honour.” I muttered grumpily and he laughed delightfully at me.

“You are so very wonderful.” He said warmly which made me blush “Any other person would be happy or at the very least excited but you just wish to avoid it. Do you know how rare that is?” He practically gushed at me and I decided that it was time to get off this topic.

“Right. Well what do you need to take with you from the tower? We should be heading off before it gets dark.” I told him while walking back up the stairs and into the tower.

I was amazed with how spacious it was yet all modern Argonian conveniences seemed to exist which was nice. There was a bathroom which I was dying to use, a little kitchen with a separate bedroom and a tiny lounge room filled with books of all description. I could see the mirror Caden had sat on a shelf that I must have first seen him in.

“I’m just going to use the bathroom.” I told Caden as he walked into the room.

I turned to go in when the room started shaking. I heard Caden yelling and when I turned back, I realised why. The bloody wall panel was closing in on us! Caden was trying desperately to push it back so I ran to join him.

We heaved against it exerting as much strength as we could but to no avail as the wall snapped shut and trapped us within. I stood there gasping for air with dread thudding through my body. My Dad was going to kill me for this!

“Crap!” I shouted as I pounded my fist against the immovable wall while Caden just stood there in shock like he couldn’t grasp what was happening “Damn it! What do we do now?”

I plopped down into the dust cursing continuously under my breath while feeling my anger swelling. How do I get myself into these ridiculous predicaments? I put my head in my hands and forced myself to try and  calm down.

So much for saving the prince instead I got both of us stuck in this crappy tower. I cursed even harder using the worst words I had ever heard until I heard Caden start laughing. I glared up at him and was shocked when sparks flew off my fingers into the surrounding atmosphere causing a charge in the air.

“What in the name of the Goddess is so bloody funny?” I hissed at him as my rage grew charging the whole tower with zapping sparks.

“Hearing you curse actually. I have never heard any woman swear like that.” He told me with a cheeky grin and I frowned at him.

I sometimes forget the peculiarities of Argonian society. Sure on Earth it’s bad to swear but it’s unheard of in Argonia. It is considered that only the ill-bred and uncouth would be low enough to swear in public.

So when I stopped to think about the fact that he was a prince, it made logical sense why he’d never heard a woman swear. Those prissy women were too busy wondering what dress to wear rather than to deal with the ills of the world.

“Sorry.” I muttered as I glared at my shoes.

“Do not be sorry, it is who you are.” He gave me a look and even though I wasn’t looking at him I could feel the heat of his gaze on me. “I like that you are not afraid to be who you are in front of me.”

“That still doesn’t solve how we are getting out of here.” I mumbled almost to myself.

“Charlotte It is fairly obvious to me what we are going to do.” Caden said seriously which made me look up.

“And that is?” I asked sarcastically.

“You can use magic.” He told me gesturing to the charged air around us. “You can get out and we will come up with another plan.” He told me quietly which snapped me to thinking. No fairies had turned up yet the sparks were still flashing in the air.

“Hang on, why haven’t the fairies turned up?” I asked as I looked out the window and saw nothing but the grass, flowers and waterfall.

“The ruling of the tower. Only outside will the magic be registered by the fairies.” He told me and I smiled suddenly.

“Do you think that includes beyond that wall.” I pointed to the annoying movable wall and Caden frowned at me before a smile bloomed on his face..

“It should, it is a part of the tower. As it is almost dark now perhaps we should consider it in the morning.”

“If I try it now then we’ll know that it works.” I insisted as I stretched my fingers and prepared to do a blink and zap.

“No please wait until morning.” He almost pleaded with me and I looked up into his eyes in confusion.

“Why?”

“I…well the fact is….” He stopped and all went quiet while I watched a flush creep up on his cheeks making me puzzled. I just raised one eyebrow at him, refusing to say anything “I have been alone for a long time and I would appreciate if you would just stay with me tonight.” He said quietly.

“Then why didn’t you just say so.” I demanded as I shoved him in the chest. Wow that was one solid chest. I wanted to leave my hand there longer but forced myself to move it away.

He didn’t answer but walked into the kitchen so I shrugged and went to use a proper bathroom for the first time since ending up here. When I came out I was surprised to see Caden organising food in the kitchen. He sent me back out so I wondered over to his bookshelf to see what titles he had. I was squealing with joy when I picked up my favourite Argonian book.

“I can’t believe you have ‘Oleander and Juel’” I shouted as I bounded into the kitchen only to notice him rolling his eyes.

“Markus brought that over for me. I am certain I have never read anything more dull to be honest.” He told me as he sliced a carrot deftly and I felt my anger start to grow at his attitude.

“You have got to be kidding! That was the best book I’ve ever read.” I almost shouted at him and was surprised when he looked at me oddly.

“Charlotte as you would say – It was crap.” He said completely dead pan.

“Ugh I don’t think I can talk to you anymore.” I told him as I walked back out of the kitchen angrily.

A warm hand snatched mine before I’d moved a few steps. He pulled me off balance until I almost collapsed on him. Those gorgeous green eyes held me in place and I couldn’t move as his arms came around my waist.

“I will not argue with you this night.” He said calmly.

“Why not? You’re wrong that book was awesome.” I told him while poking him in that solid chest, emphasising every word but he just grinned at me while his hands tightened around my waist sending a thrill through me.

“You are far too stubborn for your own good.” He told me and I glared up at him.

“I’m the stubborn one?” I snorted at him causing him to laugh heartily as he touched my nose with his finger.

“No, you are the unique one that is truly fascinating.” He told me as his finger stroked along my cheek so lightly but enough to cause me to shiver. “Now no more arguing, I will have dinner finished soon so amuse yourself until then.”

“Would you mind if I have a shower? I’m still kinda covered in dust.” I asked as he walked back towards the kitchen.

He stopped and turned back nodding his head while sending me the hottest look I’ve ever seen that almost floored me. I distracted myself by searching for my bag when I remembered I had dropped it when the wall had first started moving.

“Aw damn, my bags on the other side of the wall and I haven’t got any clean clothes.” I cursed under my breath and began pacing the floor. I was trying to work off my frustration when a muscular hand appeared in front of me.

“Here they will be too big but at least you will feel a lot cleaner.” He said as he handed me some men’s trousers and a soft buttoned shirt.

“Um thanks.” I told him as I quickly grabbed the garments and walked into the bathroom.

The water was so hot that I felt all my muscles relaxing as I considered what had occurred today. To think this morning I doubted I would ever find a way into the tower and now here I am.

I was starting to freak when I thought of how angry my Dad would be at me. If I didn’t end up helping Caden then all of this would have been for nothing. I groaned just knowing the lecture Dad would be giving me when he next saw me.

“How are you feeling Charlotte?” Caden called out to me “Dinner is almost ready.”

“I’ll be out in a minute.” I told him as I reluctantly turned the taps off and stepped out. I searched for something to dry myself off with and frowned until the door opened. I let out a squeal and tried to hide but only Caden’s hand came in holding a towel which I quickly snatched.

“Thanks.” I muttered.

I quickly dried and got dressed, thinking how comical I looked in his baggy trousers with his shirt almost hanging down to my knees. I walked out self-consciously to find him putting steaming plates on the small wobbly table.

He looked up at me and I stopped dead, his emerald green eyes glowed with an almost unbelievable heat. I felt my cheeks flush as I pushed my sleeves up and shuffled my bare feet.

“Come sit down and eat before it gets cold.” He told me huskily and I had to stop a shiver from running through me at the timber of his voice. I sat down opposite him and bit the side of my lip. As hungry as I was I couldn’t ignore the tension that had built between us.

“Charlotte?” He asked as I played with my food.

“Uh huh?” I glanced quickly at him before dropping my eyes.

“I am truly sorry.” He told me regretfully.

“What for?” I asked refusing to do anything but stare at my plate.

“For making you feel so awkward. I know that you probably think it’s due to me not having female companionship since I have been here. But at the point of making this even more awkward I have to tell you that it is all you.” He told me seriously as he tipped my chin up to look at him.

“What do you mean?” I whispered. My heart started racing as I wondered if he meant what I thought he meant. If I was right then I think a happy dance might be in order.

“You are so different. You are not afraid to argue with me and you never put on an act. You are always you. I have grown up alongside people who would never dare to do anything like talk back to me or even swear in front of me. Of all the girls I have ever met or known you are the one that intrigues me.” His words washed over me and I swear my mouth dropped open like a gaping fish.

“Okay.” I whispered.

“I really did mean those words that day an older you threw that fireball at me. We will be life bond partners one day and I am fairly sure that she knew it too.” He told me determinedly.

My heart was thundering in my chest as I stared into his handsome face. I had no idea what to say. He leaned over even further until his warm soft lips briefly touched mine before he pulled away smiling brightly. My shaking fingers rose to my tingling lips and I just kept on staring.

I’d just had my first kiss and it had been just as sweet and wonderful as I’d hoped it would be. But the only thing that went through my mind was what the hell was I going to do now?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.2K 2.1K 13
He's only been here for a short while but already the girl with the strange name and violet eyes feels she has a connection with him. Eileenia is an...
168K 3.9K 44
Verity Avalon Bradford. She loves her twin sister more than anything. Together, they're starting the 7th grade. A new boy, Lucas Friar, comes to scho...
242K 4.3K 14
Charlie was an average girl who hated being average. But that all changed the summer she turned 15. The holidays had rolled around and she was force...
143K 2.1K 24
What if Riley Matthews missed the train with Maya? What if Lucas Friar didn't meet them that morning? What if he met Lexi Minkus first? What if he di...