How To Love (Editing)

Door cubexgirl

*A/N: Thanks to all who has read and is still reading this story! It means the world to me and I love you guy... Meer

Flashbacks
First Meeting
Audition
Lesson Number 1: Keep your head up
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7

Announcement

277 11 10
Door cubexgirl

dedicated to _pineapplepants_ for the lovely cover!! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Holley! You wouldn't believe it! Oh my God, have I got the best news ever!” Katie comes barreling towards me as I sort through my books in my locker. “I so totally can't wait, and you know what's the best part? It's that -”

She crashes into me and almost sent me sprawling on the floor. "Katie! Jesus! Calm down!"

Trying to calm Katie down is like trying to calm a wild tiger. She's loquacious and naive and easily excited, and half the time she just babbles on and on and I don't get have of what she's saying. But I love her anyways; she's the one best friend I could always count on.

"So what's this cool unbelievable news?"

She pauses to draw in a deep breath, like she's preparing to make an announcement that would change the fate of the world. Or that the world doesn't end on December 2012, but October instead. “Guess what the Drama Club is holding at the end of the year? It's different from last year, so guess. Guess!"

The drama club held this stupid audition to raise money for kids who has cancer. In my opinion, that amount of money just probably went into the principle's pockets, because, let's face it, she's greedy, and everyone knows it.

Somehow a pair of Justin Beiber front row tickets went up to 4000 dollars. It's unbelievable. It's dramatic. Honestly, it's so stupid. I can't seem to stress enough on just how stupid the whole damn thing was. To make it worse, the audition required attendance of everyone. My backbone hurted so much afterwards.

"A contest." Like singing. Or dancing. That's be so much bet - 

"What? No!"

"A play." Please, let it be a play so I can audition and be in it and get to add it to my list of plays I've been in since elementary schoool. The longer the list, the bigger the chance Julliard will look in my direction.

"It's better than that." she looks eagerly at me. I recognize that look. Any minute she's going to yell at the top of her lun - "A musical!"

See?

Then what she said kicks in. "Oh my God!" My eyes widen. "Really? Really?"

“Yes! It's Beauty and the Beast, and they're holding auditions tomorrow in the gym! You have to go and get the lead Holls! It's a once in a lifetime chance. Or, should I say, the once in a lifetime."

It all sounds amazing but what does Katie mean, once in a lifetime? "I don't get it. I've been in so many plays before, what's so special about this one?"

Katie giggles like a happy schoolchild. Sometimes, I think she's actually one at heart. But I can't say anything without being a hypocrite, because I still in love with Disney Princesses and Winnie the Pooh. "Because Penelope Holmes is going to be there!" she exclaims as if it's the most obvious reason in the world. "You know what I heard? Penelope is going to select one girl and one boy from the musical to join her acting company! It's a fab opportunity!"

I already died and gone to heaven the moment I heard Penelope Holmes' name.

She's this awesomely talented woman who started modelling at age three, landed her first role at the age of four, and then won an Academy Award for that movie. All her subsequent roles were equally amazing, and she's my one and only role model.

Well, maybe not that precise. I do like that Vampire Diaries star a lot. And Gossip Girl too. Still. The point is, if Penelope Holmes is going to visit and determine one girl to join her company, I'm going to make sure it's me. 

Imagine writing "actress at Penelope Holmes Acting Company" on your CV. Who wouldn't be impressed?

I've always dreamed of an opportunity like this. I'm going to famous, and I'll get to star in real movies like Jennifer Lawrence and Kristen Dunst and get away from this school forever because it holds so many -

"Holley?" Katie waves a hand in front of my face. "Still there?"

I blink, and let a rare wide smile spread over my face. Yes, rare. I don't smile at people often, because I figured people have a bad habit of thinking that when someone smiles at you, it means they want to be friends with you. Basically, giving them a chance to manipulate and stab you in the back and trust me, I'm speaking from experience. "This is great! I'm going to join her company!"

"You?" a horribly familiar voice interrupts and shatters all my inner fantasies. I whip my head around to see the school's Class A Bitch Bianca Jones sauntering towards me with her two clonies - Terra and Hayley - at her sides, as usual.

I've always thought Bianca look a lot like Barbie. As in, fake blond hair and unproportional body from too much plastic surgery.

"The role of Belle is mine, Holley. Be smart and back off." she sneers, looking me over with obvious disgust.

Is it hard to believe that once upon a time, Bianca and I used to be best of buddies? Well, up until freshman year anyways. We both have the same dreams - to be a successful actress. We used to rehearse every elementary playwright in my backyard. We used to support each other.

During freshman year, there was a really special Christmas play and there could only be one lead. We both agreed that we'd try our best to help each other and let the chips fall where they may, and even then, there would be no hard feelings.

I never once suspected Bianca was scheming behind my back. She gave me the wrong script on purpose and made me look like a complete fool onstage and in front all the teachers. She never apologized. Ever since we've been going our separate ways.

When Bianca became the school's most popular girl, I was intimidated, but not for long. Soon after my dad left and Josh dumped me, with Adelaide, and my mom died, I knew I had to grow a backbone and stand up for myself. So I did. Hence Bianca and I became enemies.

I cross my arms. "Make me."

She copies me, and so does Terra and Hayley. Poor girls. Manipulated by the most beautiful and best-dressed girl in the whole universe - or so Bianca believes. Yeah, I bet she's beautiful. Such a slut.

"You know, you disappoint me Holley. Do you even know who I am? I always get what I want. You shouldn't waste your time auditioning for Belle because it's gonna be mine. Just audition for something else really minor. Maybe you can be one of those stupid faeries." she barks a laugh and so does her clonies.

"You're messing with the wrong girl, Bianca." I counter sweetly. I sure as hell would love to call her a bitch to her face, but I still have a tiny sliver of respect for my former best friend. 

I'm not sure if she returns that respect.

"You're no match for me, Holley. You're just an untalented dork."

Oh well. Guess not. Never mind.

The harsh words sting but I'm not going to let her have the satisfaction of seeing me crushed, even though it's just a little bit. "You know, maybe that's how I stole so many lead roles from you."

I slam my locker shut. "If you'll excuse me, I have to get to class. Come on, Katie."

"You won't get the role." Bianca raises her chin defiantly.

"Maybe I could, since there's no one around to give me the wrong script this time." I grab Katie's arm and haul her away.

Bianca's voice yells after us. "You'll be sorry! I'll make you regret it."

"I already regret hearing your nasty voice."

"Don't listen to her." Katie looks at me seriously. "She's just trying to scare you. I'm sure you're the perfect Belle!"

"I hope so. What time are the auditions?"

"After school." Katie suddenly pauses, frowning. "Waaait a minute. Your shift's at four!"

I groan in irritation. "Shoot, I completely forgot! I'm going to have to cancel."

"But then you won't get this month's money for your rent and - and - you know?" Katie worries, her blue eyes large. She tries to mimic a baby, which I'm sure looked more like a pregancy, and I catch a few odd glances from other students. "Remember? You can't cancel."

"I have to," I'm dismayed. I really really want to audition for this. No, I have to. It's my one and only chance. If I skip, I wouldn't be offered a second chance and then I'd lose my only chance to escape this hellhole...

But, on the other hand, the more sensible and logical part of my brain tries to reason with me.

I have a baby to take care of. Today's the last day of October and I'll be receiving my money for paying the rent. Blame it on my boss, he has this stupid rule that if you don't turn up for work on the day you receive your salary, you don't get it.

I don't get the money, I can't pay rent.

I'll get kicked out of my appartment, because the landlord's mean like that. I've been close to being kicked out before, and it wasn't a good idea. If it weren't for Katie, I wouldn't even been here.

But I can't always count on Katie's help. And then what do I do?

Not to mention my electricity and telephone bills are building up. Some letters with Final Warning stamped in red are already starting to show up at my doorway.

"I won't let you miss this opportunity." Katie says determinedly. "I'll give you the money."

See what I mean by the one friend I could always count on? Katie's one in a million, even if she's overly talkative and have a wild imagination. "Thanks, you're sweet, but I already owe you and your parents so much." It's true, I do. When Adelaide was born, it was by law that I have to send her to an orphanage. Although Adelaide brings back hurtful memories, I couldn't make her suffer the consequences by sending her to such a cruel place, because it wasn't her fault.

It was my fault that I was so gullible back then. I believed each and every one of Josh's lies, and look where it has gotten me! Now I'm the one lying all the time. All my friends, aside from Katie, doesn't know I had a baby. All they knew was that I had to be home-schooled for a year with no good reaons whatsoever.

Yeah right. Like I even have parents.

The lawyers who were handling my case urged me to give Adelaide up, but then Katie's parents stepped in to save the day. They offered to care for Adelaide in the morning, and at night, after my job, I would take her home. They've been doing that for almost a year now and to make them pay for my rent as well? Not once, but twice?

"I just can't."

"Really, it's no trouble. This is a golden opportunity and you're a real idiot not to take it. I bet my parents would agree."

"That's because they're too nice."

Katie rolls her eyes. "Who cares? Just think it over, Holley. Maybe when you get into that cool company and you earn a lot of money from starring in films, you can pay us back then. No interest included!" she adds cheerfully.

"I still feel really bad about it." my previous excitement is disappearing. How disparaging. Bianca shows up and I don't feel shaken at all. But then when my money trouble is brought up, everything seems to go downhill.

"You're my bestest friend." Katie insists, ignoring the fact I told her about a billion times the word bestest doesnt exist. "They wouldn't mind. I mean, I wouldn't mind, as a first! And it's my money, they gave it to me." she beams at me happily with such a goofy smile and I can't help but laugh.

Mr Giovanni, our homeroom teacher, walks purposefully into the classroom, his signature frown etched on his face. I don't think I've ever seen the man smile.

I shrug, and glance at my only best friend in the world. Someone I wouldn't trade the world for. "Okay,  I'll think it over tonight."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: my second edited chapter! thanks to everyone who commented and voted, i love you all <3

vote and comment? only if you like it!

xx,

Emma

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

80.9K 1K 58
{EDITING PROCESS} *BOOK ONE OF TWO* When a high school student named Davina Smith faces her senior year after a tragedy in her family, suddenly finds...
370K 7.4K 39
"𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐬𝐚𝐲 '𝐈 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐨𝐨', 𝐢𝐭 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐞." - 𝐇𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐢𝐧 𝐒𝐜𝐨...
10.9K 811 13
Being isekiaed, MC finds herself stuck in a web novel 'Beauty and the Beasts' by White-Headed Dream. She doesn't want to return and is happy for fina...
16.8K 394 32
'Bad Boys Ain't Good But Good Boys Ain't No Fun.' "Don't look, but it's the king of being horny behind you." I automatically looked behind me, making...