Coming Home (#Wattys 2017)

By calliopetorres

Harrison and Carrie, former U.S. Navy Seals are called back on duty for Operation Neptune Spear on May 2nd, 2... More

1; Mommy and Daddy
2; Fishing Trip
3; Again
4; Goodbyes
5; Plans
6; Just Like Old Times
7; Execute
8; Operation Neptune Spear
9; Lost
10; Setbacks
11; Hope
12; Help
13; Missing
14; The Escape
16; Memories
17; Nightmares
18; Surgeries
19; Respects and Rewards
20; A Boat?
21; Happy Days

15; Coming Home

283 13 8
By calliopetorres

As much as Harrison and Carrie appreciated the hospitality from the people working in the American embassy, they didn't want to stay overnight. They wanted to go right home. First, they had to see Billie tonight or tomorrow morning. And second, their injuries were a little much for the politicians to handle. Carrie knew she was probably going to need stitches or surgery once again in her shoulder. Harrison was definitely going to need surgery.

The medics did the best they could with his leg. They were able to remove the bullet without causing him too much pain. But he would need surgery to repair his quadricep.

As Harrison rewrapped her arm, one of the workers came back to tell them that a helicopter would be flying them to a nearby United States military base. They would then by flown to Japan where they would catch a private U.S. flight back to their military base on the coast of Los Angeles.

Not too long after, they were flown to Japan. On the helicopter, they were tended to by more experienced medical personnel. It was determined that Harrison's surgery would also be in part to repair his femur. It was now confirmed that the bullet had hit part of his femur. And the surgeons were going to repair it.

It was 6 hours before they reached Japan. Carrie got more excited as they got onto their private jet. When they got off this one they'd be able to see Billie.

One of the flight attendants handed Harrison a phone. He called his parents and put it on speaker so Carrie could hear. "Mom?"

"Harrison? Is that you?"

He smiled. "Yeah mom. I'm okay. Carrie's okay."

They heard only crying from the other side of the phone. "Are you near Billie?"

"No." Dorothy paused to shed a few more tears. "I'm so glad you guys are okay. Billie's missed you two so much."

"We've missed you guys too. Can you bring Billie to the airport tomorrow morning. Or in 11 hours?"

"You're coming home that soon?"

Now Harrison started crying. "Yeah, we're coming home now."

"I'll have Billie there."

Next Carrie called her mom. "Mom?"

"CARRIE!?"

She smiled with tears now glistening in her eyes. "I'm here mom. Harrison and I are okay. We're a little beat up but we're okay."

Carrie knew Debbie was crying. "We thought the worst. Nobody had heard from you."

"Harrison and I weren't going down without a fight."

"What did they do to you over there?"

She smiled a reassuring smile, now wishing that her mom could see it. "They didn't do anything we couldn't handle."

Carrie then told her mom they should be home in about 11 hours. "I love you Carrie."

"I love you too mom."

They then settled in for the 11 hour flight. To Carrie and her anxiety about making it home to Billie real soon, it would take a lot longer. "Carrie, we have a long way to go," Harrison told her. "We're safe now. And both of us need some rest. We haven't slept good in a while."

She allowed his kiss to help her relax and fall asleep. "I love you Carrie."

"I love you too Harrison."

✎✎✎

They woke up with an hour and a half left in the flight. The two of them pictured meeting Billie over and over in their heads. That was when Harrison thought about Matt.

"Does his family know?"

"I don't know Harrison."

If they didn't, it was going to make delivering the letter a lot harder to his wife and kids who were expecting him to walk off that plane as well. Carrie pulled her own letter out of her pocket. She and Harrison wrote it to Billie when Matt wrote his.

She tore it to pieces. Billie wouldn't need to see it. Carrie couldn't even see herself reading it at Billie's age. It told Billie that they loved her no matter what, and it also detailed their wills. Being military parents, it was something they had to do. They had a trust fund set up already. But Billie wouldn't need that either right now.

Carrie also knew they'd be honorably discharged from the military. With all they've done, the U.S. wasn't going to extend their service. She and Harrison couldn't be happier. They both knew their time in the military was over now. Billie was their priority now. Then was the new baby.

✎✎✎

Carrie was glued to the windows as the city of Los Angeles came into view. "We're home Harrison."

As they neared the airport, both of them recognized their parents cars. The cars were parked on the runway. Once the plane landed, Carrie helped Harrison make his way to the front.

He patted the spot in his uniform pocket where Matt's letter to his family was. They were right next to his parents, Carrie's mom, and Billie. It was going to be a lot harder. They hadn't been told yet.

Carrie waited anxiously for the plane to stop and for the door to open. Once it did, she bolted down the stairs. Harrison followed as fast as he could with crutches.

When Billie saw her parents running towards her, she jumped down from her grandma's arms and ran to meet them. It was the fastest Carrie ran in a long time. But it was worth it when she fell to her knees and let Billie run right into her arms.

"MOMMY!"

"BILLIE!"

Carrie wrapped Billie up so tight in a hug. "I missed you mommy!"

The tears fell uncontrollably down both of their cheeks. "I missed you too B."

She could feel Billie crying. Carrie herself couldn't even see her daughters face for her eyes were blurred with tears. "Daddy and I are here B. We're never going back. Ever. And that's a promise your daddy and I are going to keep. We're done in the military."

"What happened to your arm mommy?" She asked, pointing to the sling Carrie had on her left shoulder.

"I got shot."

She undid the sling and used her left hand to wipe the tears off her daughters cheeks. "Didn't it hurt mommy?"

Carrie nodded. "It hurt a lot at first. But then I thought of you and it took the pain away."

Billie smiled. "I helped you get better?"

Her mommy nodded again. "I love you B."

"I love you too mommy."

She stood up with Billie in her arms and took a few steps to Harrison. "Daddy wants to see you."

He gave Carrie his crutches to hold as he balanced most of his weight on his good leg and held Billie. "Daddy!"

"Billie!"

Harrison, who'd been crying at his daughter and wife's reunion, now cried even harder. "Daddy I missed you!"

"I missed you too B. So much."

He then showed her the blue bracelet that was still on his wrist. "You still have that daddy?"

"Of course I still have it. Mommy still has hers. I wasn't going to let anybody steal it."

Billie smiled again. "Daddy, what happened to your leg?"

"I got shot, just like mommy."

"Mommy said it hurt. Does your leg hurt?"

Harrison nodded. "Mommy and I are real tough. We pushed through it because we knew we'd be able to see you again."

Carrie hugged both her husband and daughter. When Billie rested her head against her daddy's chest, Carrie kissed him. "I love you guys."

Harrison and Billie both said "I love you," in unison.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 79 14
Lilith 'Ghost' Mackenzie is the black sheep of her family and she had to learn the hard way to rely on herself and no one else growing up in a househ...
1.2K 30 13
A Wattpad Featured Story: Tom Chandler is the new President of the United States with new challenges to face alongside Mike Slattery who is now the n...
16.6K 412 25
When Jake meets a woman at the Hard Deck, the last thing he expects is for her to be a Navy Seal. And not just any Seal, the Commander of Seal Team 3...
399 3 10
Naval Special Warfare Operator Julian Cadell Gibbs has been assigned to SEAL Team 3 and is preparing to deploy to Afghanistan. Despite earning his wa...