Stranger Not So Danger

By rosegolden_

"When I first met you, you were a complete stranger. But through time, I thought I really started to get to k... More

Chapter 1 ~ An Unlikely Encounter
Chapter 2 ~ Fish Face
Chapter 3 ~ Texting Buddies
Chapter 4 ~ Friends
Chapter 5 ~ The Perfect Date: Dinner...
Chapter 6 ~ ...and a Movie
Chapter 7 ~ Better Than I Expected
Chapter 8 ~ Old Friends
Chapter 9 ~ Said too Soon...
Chapter 10 ~ Playing With Feelings
Chapter 11 ~ Some Explaining To Do
Chapter 12 ~ Diner Date
Chapter 13 ~ Just Like Animals
Chapter 14 ~ Doggie Duty
Chapter 15 ~ Home
Chapter 16 ~ Prepping
Chapter 17 ~ Will You Be...
Chapter 18 ~ Nervous
Chapter 19 ~ Surprise!
Chapter 20 ~ Survivor
Chapter 21 ~ Not Lucky, Blessed
Chapter 22 ~ Only You
Chapter 24 ~ Thank You
Chapter 25 ~ Volunteer
Chapter 26 ~ Trust
Chapter 27 ~ Misconceptions
Chapter 28 ~ Heartbroken
Chapter 29 ~ Silence
Chapter 30 ~ Talking Through the Pain
Chapter 31 ~ I Hope You Remember
Chapter 32 ~ I'm Okay
Chapter 33 ~ Finally
Chapter 34 ~ Good & Bad
Chapter 35 ~ Decisions
Chapter 36 ~ Ready?
Chapter 37 ~ You're My Inspiration
Chapter 38 ~ New Beginnings
New Book!

Chapter 23 ~ Half a Winner

3.2K 127 4
By rosegolden_

Lindsey's POV:

"Go Jake!" I yelled from the bleachers of our high school gymnasium.

I wore the new pair of jeans I bought from the mall and Jake's oversized (for me anyways) black basketball hoodie.

Jake made his eighth layup of the night, and it was only first quarter.

I sat next to Leia and Karra, although they were actually cheering the team on with the rest of the spirit squad.

"So, how was the mall?" Karra asked me.

"It was good. I ate and I got this new pair of jeans!" I replied.

"I can't believe you went to the mall without me! I need some new shorts, my other ones ripped too much and now I can't wear them." Leia chimed in.

Karra and I both giggled and then turned our attention back to the game.

First quarter just finished, and second quarter was now beginning.

Chris, who was in the point guard position, came dribbling down the court. He was the fastest on the team, and was the best ball handler.

He faked left and passed it to David, another player, who was on the wing.

David dribbled down to the bottom of the wing, and Jake cut to the basket, specifically at the box. He went up for a shot, and someone fouled him.

The sound of the whistle echoed through the gymnasium, and Jake walked to the free throw line.

The first shot he took swished.

"Good job Jake!" I yelled.

He turned to the side, and as soon as he caught a glimpse of me, he smiled back.

He dribbled the ball a few times, and then set himself up for the shot.

Jake's POV:

I had just made my first free throw, and it was a swish. My teammates came and high-fived me and then went back to their places.

I turned to my right, and saw that Lindsey was smiling at me and yelled "Good job Jake!"

I returned the smile and then turned back to focus on the basket.

"Hot girl, Levi. Mind if I talk to her a bit later?" a guy from the other team said when I was dribbling the ball, preparing to take my next shot.

Rage ran through me hearing those words slip off his tongue. I felt like punching him square in the gut.

I have to stay calm, he's just trying to get in my head.

I calmly breathed out, and then took my shot. It made it in, and I ran back to the other end of the court to play defense.

Lindsey's POV:

Jake seemed a little bit upset right before he took his second free throw shot. The guy on the other team probably said something to annoy him. I brushed it off and then turned my attention to the game.

A while after half time passed, it was almost at the end of the third quarter.

Jake was playing as hard as he possibly could, and our team was up 78-63.

We were on defense at the moment, and Jake stole the ball from a guy on the other team that wasn't that good of a dribbler.

"Make that layup Jake!" I yelled out.

When he almost made the basket, an opponent from the opposite team was still in front of him when he was going for the layup.

Jake couldn't go any other way, so he had no choice but to go in the same direction that the other player was defending.

As he went to shoot, the ball went up, but both of them, Jake and the other player, fell down.

The other guy got up off the ground, but Jake remained there.

"What happened?" Karra asked as she came back from the bathroom.

"Is that Jake?" she exclaimed.

"Yea, he went for the layup and both him and the defender fell down." I explained.

Jake was still on the court, and our athletic trainer, Karen, was talking to him and asking questions.

He slowly, but surely, struggled to get up, and two of his other teammates, a.k.a. best friends Chris and Liam, both helped him off the court. His right foot was lifted off the ground, so I assumed that's what he hurt.

Everyone in the gym clapped as he got off the court, and the game continued, without Jake in it.

I saw him go to the training/taping table set up in the corner of the gym.

He sat upright while his right leg was extended outward as Karen checked it.

She handed him a bag of ice to put on it.

I could barely focus on the game knowing that Jake was hurt, and it made me sad knowing that I couldn't do anything about it.

He finished icing it and Karen wrapped his ankle up.

She left for a few minutes, and returned with a pair of crutches and adjusted it to his height. It looked like she explained something to him about his injury.

She carefully helped him stand up, and he took the crutches from her and made his way back to the bench where his other teammates were sitting, as there was only three minutes left in the game.

Chris came running down the court, and Liam was on the opposite side of him running down as well.

There was a defender in front of Chris, so he passed the ball to Liam, who was open.

But, he had to make the shot a little farther away from the three point line.

Three....two.....the ball releases from Liam's hands and makes its way toward the basket....one!

The ball hit the backboard and fell into the basket.

"And the South Park Rams have won the championships, with 99-87!" the announcer boomed through the speakers.

I made my way off the bleachers and by the doorway to wait for Jake, so I could still see and hear what was going, but not be in everyone's way at the same time.

The entire basketball team lined up, including Jake, walking down the line high-fiving the team that they just won against.

Then, our entire basketball gathered in the center of the court.

"Jake! Come here!" Liam called out.

I saw Jake make his way through the crowd of boys with his crutches.

Both Liam and Chris lifted him up and another kid on the team handed Jake the trophy.

"Boys, look over here!" I heard a camera man say.

They all faced that way and smiled at the camera.

"Ready! One, two, three!" he said as the flash went off.

"Thanks guys, congratulations!" he said after looking at the picture and then walking off.

Chris and Liam put Jake down, and he bent down to pick up his crutches.

Some of his teammates gave him candy leis, and then he made his way over to me.

"Are you okay?" was the first thing that came out of my mouth as soon as he approached.

"Yea, Karen thinks it's just a sprained ankle, so it'll be okay, but I'm going to get an X-ray tomorrow." he said.

"Well, I really hope it's not serious. Anyways, congratulations!" I said while hugging him.

"Thanks babe." he replied.

"So, do you wanna go home? Or get something to eat?" I questioned.

"Let's go to Rain's." he suggested.

"Okay, I'll drive." I said. "Where's your keys?" I asked him.

"You're gonna drive my truck?" he said with a puzzled expression on his face.

"Yea, you can't, and this is the only way I'm going to get you home." I responded.

"Okay, okay. But have you ever driven a truck before?" he asked.

"No, but I'm an awesome driver, so let's go." I said.

"Okay, my keys are in the front pocket of my backpack." he said, turning around so I could grab the keys to his truck.

I walked slowly through the parking lot to keep up with him, and then we reached his truck.

"Here, give me your crutches." I said as he opened the passenger side door.

He handed me his crutches and I put them in the bed of his truck.

I carefully helped him into the seat, and then closed the door to go onto the driver's side.

He was still adjusting as I climbed into the driver's seat.

"Ow! Son of a..."

"Language!" I shouted before he could continue his sentence. I guess he had hit his ankle while making himself comfortable.

".....cow." he finished.

"Thank you." I said while smiling, and then driving off to Rain's.

~~~

"How exactly are you gonna get home?" Jake said as I pulled up into his driveway.

"Um, maybe instead I'll pick you up to take you to school until you're healed." I said with a smile.

"So, you're gonna keep my truck?" he said.

"Pretty much, until you get better." I replied.

"Okay, but if you scratch it..."

"I am one of the safest drivers in this town, trust me." I answered. "So I'll see you on Monday?"

"I don't get to see my truck until Monday?" Jake said with a questioning look on his face.

"Yea." I replied shortly.

"Well, I was thinking that maybe you could stay over tonight and..."

"Nice try, but I don't think so." I answered.

He smirked and then shrugged his shoulders.

"It was worth a shot. How about you just come over tomorrow morning and we can hang out?" he suggested.

"Oh, I actually have to volunteer at the animal shelter tomorrow." I replied truthfully.

"O, then I'll come!" he said.

"Shouldn't you be resting your ankle?"

"I'll be fine Linds, please can I go? I really wanna spend time with you." he said.

That last sentence just suckered me into his plan.

"Okay, okay, I'll talk to my supervisor about it." I said.

"See you tomorrow, babe." he said while making his way out of the truck.

"Oh, and I'll pick you up at 7:30 so be ready!" I said.

He had a surprised look on his face, and I guess he thought 7:30 was too early, but it was funny since I just drove off and didn't take any notice to it.

~~~

Me: Hey Jordan, I was just wondering if I could bring a guest with me to help volunteer tomorrow. Would that be cool?

I set my phone down, and he replied a few minutes later.

Jordan: Yea that should be fine. What's his name?

He read me like a book.

Me: You'll meet them when you get there!

Jordan: Cruel, very cruel. But I guess I'll see ya tomorrow!

Well, I guess I'm hanging out with my two favorite things tomorrow: my boyfriend and animals!

Hi daises, did you enjoy this chapter? These chapters I've been writing have been a little bit longer, so I hope you like that.

Also, let me know of your favorite part from this chapter.

Love you all!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 1.3K 72
"I..." "Stop it!" he shouts, stopping me in mid sentence "I hate you." "B-But why? Why do you hate me?" "Oh! You know the reason." "If I would've...
99.6K 2.5K 41
Lindsey thought she had it all figured out. This was her last year at University and she was happily engaged. That is until she told her family. No o...
512K 15.8K 49
"Kara, you're my best friend right?" "Umm yeah?" "You'd do anything for me, right?" "As long as it doesn't involve 10 years in prison, yeah." "Be my...
112K 2.1K 21
"Nobody can find out how wet I make your pussy, Is that what you're saying?" "I don't even know you for gods sake." He laughed, "Maybe not but you wa...