Finding My Way

By -ShellyF

Nineteen year old Adrianna just really wants to find her way in life. She is tired of being controlled by tho... More

Finding My Way
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue

Chapter 26

250 17 2
By -ShellyF

"Happy birthday Adrianna."

I raised my eyebrow.

"Thanks. But, why are you just staring at me Raheem?"

I woke up this morning to see Raheem staring at me with a huge smile on his face.

"Because you look absolutely gorgeous and I'm admiring your new look." He gently kissed my lips, causing me to smile. He's a perfect gentleman and I am lucky to have him.

Yes, Keisha convinced me to let her do my hair and eyebrows. At first I was a little skeptical. I felt like changing my appearance wouldn't do anything for me. It's just my appearance after all. But, change can sometimes be good. A whole lot has changed in my life in not even a whole year. Mostly good, I can't lie. So, having Keisha chop of a good bit of my hair was like letting go of parts of my past.

I now have cherry brown hair that stops a little below my shoulders. It is a big difference, but I like it. I feel like I have more... confidence with my new hair. It's weird that something as simple as hair can have such a big affect on a person's whole mood.

"I'm so lucky to have you Raheem. I know I don't always show you how much I love you, but I don't know what I'd do without you. You complete me."

He kissed me again.

"Aww, I think being pregnant has made you a big ol' softee. You show me every time you look my way. Your eyes give it away."

I laughed. "Maybe so. I love my family so much. You, Layla, our unborn child."

"You forgot a very important person in the equation."

"Who?"

"Yourself. You have to love yourself, because yourself... well you, are an amazing person."

This man. His words and actions constantly remind me why I am so deeply in love with him. I can easily see myself spending the rest of my life with him.

"Of course I love myself. That goes without saying though Raheem." I laughed while sitting up. He put his hand on my belly then started sprinkling kisses all over my belly.

I wish I could just stay in bed with Raheem all day, but I know I need to get ready to leave. I am the one that's going to pick up my dad!

After my lovey dovey moment with my soulmate, I got out of bed and went over to my closet to pick out something to wear. I picked out a cute coral peplum dress, a white cardigan, and white sandals.

I did my thing in the bathroom then came out to get dressed. As I was getting dressed, my phone started ringing. I looked at my phone to see my grandmother's number. We haven't talked ever since that day in the hospital. I am not the reason for that though, she is. I've tried to stay in contact with her and be in her life, but she won't really let me be. I don't know how we fell out, but we just did. I'm not about to beg her to be in her life either. I will, however, answer the phone. I'm not as petty as some people are.

"Hello?"

"Happy birthday Adrianna."

She said that shit so dry like. No enthusiasm at all whatsoever.

"Thanks."

"So what are your plans for today?"

I slid my cardigan and watch on then I walked out the bedroom, running my fingers through my curly hair.

"Well actually I have to go pick up Raymond. He gets out today. Ironic, right?"

"Very." She continued in her dry tone. "Well I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. If you have any spare time today, even though I doubt you will, stop by my house later."

"Okay I gotta go grandma. Take care."

I ended the call then put my phone in my pocket.

"GOOD MORNING! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Layla jumped up and down with excitement as soon as I came into the kitchen.

I laughed and leaned down to give her a hug. I would pick her up but Raheem wouldn't like that. "Thank you baby girl. Do you know how old I am?"

"Yes I do. Very old."

I playfully dropped my jaw, pretending to be offended.

"Twenty is not old Layla."

"It old compare to me!"

I nodded my head. "Okay, you do have a point there."

I looked over to Raheem to see him smiling at us.

"Alright y'all I'm about to head out."

"Okay mommy but don't stay gone too long. I have a super big birfhday... birthday surprise for you when you get back."

"How are you just gonna take all the credit shorty?"

He chuckled as he came over to me and gave me a hug and a kiss.

We said our goodbyes then I left the house.

{Later}

"Hey dad, do you think you're still good at fixing cars?".

I took another sip of my sprite then cleared my throat. I've actually enjoyed spending the day with my father. We went to visit his mom. Luckily, she's going to let him stay with her until he gets on his feet. Raheem being the... perfect person he is... he said that he'd be willing to let my dad stay with us. My dad was so worried about what he was going to do, but he really didn't have anything to worry about.

"Yeah I know I am baby girl. I got some age on me. I used to work at a mechanical shop on the weekends. I know a lot about cars."

"That's good! My boyfriend's dad has a brother who has a mechanical shop. He can always use more help. Are you interested? You just have to do a small interview but he will definitely hire you."

His whole mood seemed to lighten up. "REALLY?! First I get out of jail, then I find out you're pregnant, and now I have a job?! Dang it feels like it's my birthday instead of yours!"

We both laughed at that. I really love making the people I care about happy. Of they're good then I'm good.

We finished up our food then I paid and we left. Raheem texted me a few minutes ago asking me when I was coming home. I told him I still had my dad with me, so he asked if I could come home and bring him with me.

"So where to next baby girl?"

"Home. My boyfriend is so eager for me to get home. I think he's thrown a surprise birthday party for me."

A few minutes later we got home. Okay, now I'm not convinced that he threw me a surprise party, because of all of the cars parked around here, but I know it's a party nonetheless.

My dad and I got out the car and walked over to the front door. Before I could even knock, the door swung open and there I see Layla.

"MOMMY!" She jumped up and down in excitement. "I have a surprise for you. I threw you a partaaayy! Come on. And you two Mr.Handsome. Come on!"

This girl. She's always so energetic, but today she seems extra hyper. I love it.

She grabbed my hand and lead me through the kitchen and out to the backyard where I received the most shocking surprise! Not only do I see my grandmother, but I also see someone else I didn't expect to see.

"QUA!!!!"

Tears instantly left my eyes as I ran over to him and hugged him tightly.

"Aunty Dri, I can't... breathe."

I let him down and cupped his face in my hands.

"You just don't know how much I've missed you boy! How did you get here?!"

"Ari left me with great grammy and hasn't been back yet. It doesn't matter though, because I'm here to stay. Great grammy is keeping me."

I ran over to her and gave her a big hug, crying some more. I may have a tear streaked face, but I'm far from sad. These are tears of pure joy.

The past few years of my life has been pretty rough. Dealing with Malcolm, I never thought I'd truly be happy again. I never thought I'd be able to shed years of joy! Never knew what it felt like. Abused, betrayed, mistreated... I been through a lot. Lost some friends, lost the little ounce of respect I had for my mother. But now, I have a group of people around me that actually love me and actually care. I never even thought that I'd see twenty. This sure is a good way to start out this year of my life though!

"Ohhh Mommy!"

I turned around to see Layla standing behind me.

"My other surprise is the cookies daddy helped me make. He wrote on them though. I did all the other work. Come look."

She took me by my hand again and for some reason we slowly walked over to the table.

On the table, there are a big tray of cookies with the cookie spread out. I pieced the letters together quickly, causing me to gasp.

Will you marry me?

I turned around to be surprised once again. Raheem is right behind me, down on one knee with a gorgeous diamond ring. It makes sense now. She walked slow so Raheem would have time to sneak up behind me.

Raheem took my hand in his.

"If someone told me that I would end up with Adrianna Mangham in high school, I would have told them that they were crazy. You just seem too good to be true. Way out of my league. You are perfect in my eyes. I know sometimes it may not be easy to deal with me and my health issues, but you are the only woman I ever want to be with. Please say you'll be my wife. Will you marry me Adrianna?"

"Yes Raheem!" I answered before he could get my name out good enough.

He slid the ring on my finger then stood up to kiss me on my lips.

This has without a doubt been the best day of my life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 36.7K 62
WATTYS WINNER When her fiancé ends up in a coma and his secret mistress, Halley, shows up, Mary feels like her world is falling apart. What she does...