Dealing with Karter

Par SmilerXO

[COMPLETED] There's something about family, you would do anything for them... especially if your twin brother... Plus

Chapter 1: Star Crossed
Chapter 2: First Impressions
Chapter 3: Plan B
Chapter 4: Reccomendation
Chapter 5: Rumour has it
Chapter 6: Bad Crowd
Chapter 7: Truce
Chapter 8: Phone Call
Chapter 9: Harley
Chapter 11: Questions
Chapter 12: Ice Cream
Chapter 13: Photobooth
Chapter 14: Fight
Chapter 15: Talk
Chapter 16: Jared
Chapter 17: Bathroom
Chapter 18: Seek
Chapter 19: Date
Chapter 20: Meeting
Chapter 21: Permission
Chapter 22: Homecoming
Chapter 23: Trial/ EPILOGUE

Chapter 10: Princess

456 30 1
Par SmilerXO

"You didn't have to stick up for me, you know?" Karter said after I shut the phone off with my very worried parents. Despite his words, I could see the smile he was trying to hide.

"Karter, we've been over this. As your friend I should stick up for you even if you are not around," I sighed. "Plus, if I said anything else you would probably make me let go of your arm."

I had a death grip on his arm. Walking in the empty park after midnight was not a very pleasant experience.

Karter chuckled at that. "Are you sure it's not an excuse to hold my hand?"

I was glad it was dark out because my face had turned a dark colour of red. It's not that I didn't like holding hands with Karter, it felt nice, but at the moment my life was in danger. "No! It's your fault you're scaring me with possible threats of clowns!"

Karter laughed even harder. It was weird hearing Karter laugh, almost foreign. I couldn't help but finding myself enjoying the sound of it. It was sad he didn't laugh or smile much. It was even more sad to get so taken aback by his laughter. Oh Karter...

"Your parents are just worried about you, I'd act the same in their shoes," he said calmly. I believed him. Karter was always worrying about his sisters.

I remembered the picture in his room.

"How do you do it?" I asked earning a confused look from Karter. "How did you manage without your parents?"

He worked all the time, he raised his sisters, Harley said he doesn't like talking about them. It only made sense that they weren't in his life anymore.

Karter stopped walking. I stopped two steps ahead turning around to find him tense, a dark expression on his face.

"How do you know?" He asked. I took a cautious step forward expecting him to step back but he didn't.

"I saw the picture in your room, Harley told me you don't talk about them, I connected the dots," I said quietly waiting for him to blow up.

Instead, tears pooled in his eyes. The broken expression was breaking my heart.

"I'm not going to talk about them with you," he said sharply. I would lie if I said his tone didn't hurt, but he was hurting. It was his right.

"But you can for when you want to. I will listen anytime and any day. I'm here for you too, you know that right?" I asked, slowly reaching for his hand that was clenched at his side. He didn't rip his hand out of mine like I expected him to. He just stood there, breathing harshly.

"Let me get you home," he grit through his teeth. I nodded my head not saying anything.

It felt like forever before Karter spoke again.

"I want to thank you again for today. I know you don't like kids, but you did it anyways and I'm grateful for that," he said making me gasp. How did he know I didn't like kids? I never told him.

"H-how..."

"You looked very uncomfortable and tense," he chuckled. "You're an open book Livia."

I was happy he was no longer upset about me brining up his parents.

"And here I thought I was good at hiding my emotions," I mumbled under my breath making Karter chuckle once more.

"It shouldn't be much farther," he said looking up ahead.

"How do you even know where I live?" I asked him curiously. I didn't even know if this shortcut.

"I used to deliver pizza when I had my grandpa's car," he shrugged. "Saw you and Jared coming into your house with some groceries."

"How many jobs have you had Karter?" I raised my eyebrows.

His jaw clenched. I could see he did not want to answer. Before I could tell him he didn't need to answer me, he replied all too quietly. "Too many."

Of course... Karter was suddenly his family's income when his parents were out of the picture. That's the only thing that made sense in all this.

He didn't say anything, he just clenched his jaw tighter. We were out of the park but I didn't let go of his arm. It was still after midnight, I wasn't taking my chances. We rounded the corner and walked down the end of the street before turning left walking down to my house that was in the middle of the row of houses.

Karter walked me all the way home like a true gentleman. I felt obligated to thank him in a way, he really didn't have to walk me home so late at night. It was my fault for falling asleep on the job.

We stood in front of my door awkwardly. I shifted from foot to foot wondering how I should thank him.

Karter rubbed the back of his neck, looking just as uncomfortable as I was. "I guess I'm just going to go--"

"Wait--" I grabbed his hand. He looked down at it with a worried look. "I-- uh-- well you--"

Karter chuckled. "You're welcome Livia."

"Right..." I said as I let his hand go. "Well I'll see you tomorrow?"

He only replied with a small nod. Just as Karter turned to leave, my front door burst open. I noticed Karter's shoulders tense just as my heart stopped.

"Livia!" Jared yelled at me in worry. Oh god.

My parents pushed past him with angry faces.

"Do you know what time it is?"

"Why didn't you call us?"

"Don't you have a car?"

"If you needed money we would have gave you some!"

"You don't need to work while living under our roof!"

I could see Karter trying to slowly slip away. I wanted to yell after him to take me with him.

"Hey Pierce!" Jared called after him. Looks like he wasn't getting away either. I noticed Karter's hands clench before he turned to face us with a very angry expression. If looks could kill...

"Oh right," my father cleared his throat. "Mr. Pierce, I would like to thank you for allowing my daughter a working experience as well as making sure she got home fine." My father took a look at my mother who nodded encouragingly. Obviously they had planned this out. I've seen them plan things out like this before. "But she will no longer be working these long hours, and your late night services are no longer--"

"Whoa whoa whoa!" I put my hands up to stop them. "I believe the right words you are trying to say are thank you Karter."

"Young lady!" My mother gasped.

I cleared my throat throwing them a warning look. I pretty much told them do what I wanted or I will cause a lot of trouble. They knew I would do it and they would not like the outcomes.

My parents looked at each other, having a conversation with their eyes. While they were distracted, I walked over to Karter who looked a little angrier than before.

"I will get through to them don't worry," I tried putting him at ease but he wasn't having it.

An idea popped into my head that was going to get me into a lot of trouble. I was just angry and I wanted them to be even more angrier. "Don't freak out please, act normal."

His eyes widened in fear. "Livia--"

I stood on my toes and kissed his cheek. Karter turned scarlet, his lips slightly parted in shock.

"Thanks Karter! Goodnight!" I said extra loud. I nudged him with my elbow trying to snap him out of his trance. He shook his head before looking at me as if I had two heads. He scratched his head before waking away mumbling something under his breath.

I walked back to my fuming parents satisfied with their reaction, pushing past them and past the front door. "Ever occur to you that he might actually be a good guy?"

They ran after me.

"Liv--"

"Livia--"

"Darling, Livia listen," my mother tried. "We really didn't know how to believe you were dating Mr. Pierce."

Oh shit... I didn't think that through.

"We would have tried to be more... sensitive?" My father added.

"It doesn't matter if I am dating him or not, he's a human being! We all have feelings!" I yelled suddenly feeling angrier. He could be a stranger on the streets, the shouldn't treat people like this. "He isn't someone you butcher in court!"

"Okay, okay," my father put his hands up in surrender. "So we might have gotten a little carried away, we are your parents it's our job."

"But," my mom chimed in. "Our offer still stands. We want to have dinner with the boy. Maybe once we properly meet him then we could judge him accordingly."

Knowing my parents, I knew this was the best I was going to get. There was still the little issue of getting Karter to play along with being my fake boyfriend for one evening. Maybe I don't have to tell him?

"Livia, a word," Jared cleared his throat.

Oh no... here comes the really bad part. I followed Jared up to his room. He was very red in the face. Uh oh.

"Jesus Liv, are you falling for the guy?" He asked seriously.

"What?" I gasped.

"Have you developed feelings for him?" He asked again, sounding tired.

Me and Karter? Sure I found him attractive, very attractive, but I barely knew the guy. I couldn't fall for someone I didn't know.

"Jare, I don't have feelings for him," I rolled my eyes. "I promise you."

Jared looked unsure as he stared at me. "Fine... but this is a perfect opportunity for you to take another step in our plan. Remember fake date him so that I could date Maddy. I want to be able to take her to homecoming."

Seriously?

"Guys are so stupid," I rolled my eyes before walking out of his room. And when I though protective Jared was coming out.

The next day I sat with Karter at lunch again, he was a lot more comfortable with me.

"So I was taking out the trash... you burned macaroni? How is that possible?" He asked, highly amused.

"I didn't know you needed to add it to the water!" I exclaimed, my cheeks burning crimson.

Karter actually threw his head back in laughter surprising me yet again. I think I really liked his laughter.

"You really are a princess," he shook his head.

"Am not!" I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

The corner of his lips tipped up in a smirk as he leaned forward on his arms. "You are."

"Am not," I challenged him leaning forward on my arms.

"Are too," he leaned his head closer, a gleam in his eyes. "I can prove it."

"Yeah?" I raised my right brow.

He nodded his head, a playful smile on his lips. "Have you ever had a job?"

I opened my mouth.

"Babysitting Harley doesn't count."

I closed my mouth.

"Have you ever cooked a meal that was not out of a box?" He asked, his arrogant smirk growing.

"Yes," I put my chin up.

"And not ruined it?" Karter added.

I pouted. "No... it's harder than it looks okay?!"

Karter chuckled. "Fine. Have you ever cleaned your house? Like really cleaned it? Scrubbed the toilets or mopped the floors?"

"I do the dishes sometimes," I mumbled. My parents always got a cleaning lady, I never had to.

Karter leaned back, placing his hands behind his head with a satisfied smirk on his lips. "Princess."

"Fine! Maybe I am a princess," I threw my hands in the air angrily. "Blame my parents and my bad genes. Jared took all the talent in the family."

"And yet you have all the better qualities," Karter said softly making me blush. He quickly cleared his throat. "Did you get into a lot of trouble last night."

I shook my head. "I didn't let it get there. I became angrier than they were. I hate when people judge others. Of course I wasn't about to let my parents judge my friend. They uh... they want to meet you?"

I felt my palms sweating. Karter's face had gone pale.

"M-Me? Why?" He stuttered.

"To better know my friends?" I tried.

Karter rubbed his face with his hands tiredly. "I don't know."

I put my hands up stopping him. "You don't have to now. How about when our friendship week is over and you still want to be my friend, then you can have dinner with my parents. Sounds good?"

Karter still looked unsure, but he didn't argue.

"How's Harley?" I asked, changing the subject.

A small smile came on his lips at the mention of his sister. "She's great. She really likes you, I don't know how that's possible, but she does."

"Hey!" I yelled throwing the wrapper in front of me at him.

He laughed at my reaction. He really has been laughing and joking more often. I really liked this side to him.

"She says you're a lot of fun, more than me, what have you done to my sister?" He asked teasingly.

"I can't help it if everyone loves me," I flipped my hair behind my shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't get ahead of yourself Murphy," he shook his head with a ghost of a smile.

"So I was thinking, we should go out after school," I said thinking of ways to become closer to Karter.

His eyes widened. "What?"

"You know? Go have fun, spend bonding time together? We really don't know each other all that well, we need to change that," I elaborated.

"Uh... yeah... sure?" Karter scratched the back of his head. "I work at the garage today , I get an hour lunch break at six, does that work for you?"

I nodded my head. It was better than nothing. "Sure, I will be waiting at the cafe?"

"Sounds good," Karter said before standing up. "See you later Murphy."

I waved him goodbye. A smile still planted on my face. I think this was going to work.

——————————————————————

Don't be silent readers!

Vote and comment!

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Love ya!

XO

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

1.2M 30.8K 57
He's smirking down at me as he says, "Um, you're in my seat." I laugh and say, "You realize that is the most cliche thing you could possibly say?" ...
4.6M 120K 86
~STORY COMPLETED! just in process of editing~ Lexi Walker has 12 brothers. Twelve irritating, annoying, bossy and protective brothers. The only fema...
2.8K 117 25
"Come with me Emma." "Why?" "I need to show you something. And I want to spend time with you... Sweetheart." "You know I hate it when you call me swe...