Fable's Tale

By Zalvetta

Fable Gyllafus Velafi was a young Tiefling taken in by Markus Velafi. She is basically his adopted daughter... More

The Oath
The Pigbat Caves and Auntie Don't

The Fire

7 0 0
By Zalvetta

    Markus had gone to sleep at maybe twelve, when Fable had regained a normal color. She wasn't a Tiefling with any odd color skin, but Markus studied her tail. At the end, it resembled a lion's, but it was one piece, and it was very long.

Gregor had gone to bed at eleven or so, but Markus didn't really mind or in all honesty care.

"Morning, Markus!" Firi said, hopping down the stairs with a groggy Ashe behind her.

"Morning, Firi. We have a new member to our group now, by the way." Markus said, stroking Fable's soft, blond hair.

"We do? Who?" Firi asked, bouncing over to him.

"This, " Markus explained, showing Firi the sleeping Fable. "is Fable Gyllafus Velafi."

Firi gasped, then awed and asked to hold her. Markus was hesitant at first, but soon handed her to Firi.

Firi was ecstatic to hold the small girl, and cooed and poked  Fable's button nose. Fable giggled then opened her eyes. The pupil was a sharp pointed oval, like a cat's. Her iris was a deep, smooth violet with streaks and flares of light blue.

"Markus, look at her eyes!" Firi said, holding Fable out to him. He smiled and wiped a strand of hair out of her face.

"They're beautiful." he commented, and Firi grinned.

"You're a wonderful father already, Markus." she whispered, tickling Fable's tummy.

   A few minutes later Thog and Gregor walked into the tavern. Firi arched an eyebrow, then saw the black soot on their faces and hands and clothes. Gregor nodded to Markus and he flashed Gregor a knowing glance.

"Boys, what did you do?" Firi demanded. The comment caught Ashe's attention and she stood with arms crossed.

"Well, last night when we found Fable behind an orphanage a lady called Fable hellspawn since she's a Tiefling and I planned to burn down the orphanage with everyone inside, but since I had Fable to look after Thog and Gregor woke up early to do it for me and I suggest we leave town now after Gregor and Thog take a bath and remove all evidence." Markus stated casually, looking at the pair with his last comment.

"ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?!" Ashe yelled, extremely confused. She grabbed both Gregor and Thog's hand and began to lead them to the washroom. She pushed Gregor in and demanded he take a bath, and instructed Thog to do the same after Gregor.

"Well, since baths seem appropriate, I suggest we give Fable one as well. You wanna do it Markus?" Firi asked. Markus paused, the said Firi could do it if she wanted.

  Nodding with a happy grin, Firi walked into the kitchen to ask if she could wash the baby. The cook nodded and motioned her to come in. The pair disappeared behind the door and about five minutes passed.

Thog went inside to take a bath when Gregor walked out, nice and clean, and sat on the bench beside Markus's chair.

"Markus!" Firi's voice called from the kitchen. Markus instantly stood and walked across the splintering wood floor to the kitchen. He pushed the door open and saw Firi holding Fable.

"I took off her baby clothes and saw this. Look at her neck, back, arms." she pointed to said spots on Fable's naked baby body, and showed scarlet scales in each spot. On her neck, the scales went down and spread across the top portion of her back and washed down and faded by the middle part. Her shoulders were also covered, and the outside portion of the arm had scales as well. On the outside of her legs looked the same as her arms, and as Markus traced his finger around them Fable giggled.

"Look at her ears, too. They're kinda pointed." Markus's eyes squinted and fiddled with Fable's ears and he agreed.

"They're really cute. Now wash my baby, woman!" Markus said, and Firi laughed then shook her head.

"Yeah, yeah, Markus, okay." she replied. Markus nodded and went back into the lobby of the tavern with a swish of his cape.

Firi continued to bring the wet, sudsy cloth over Fable's tiny body and sang a small tune to Fable as she grabbed at cups and forks and spoons.

Fable's horns were still small, but they were long and tall, and curved into a half-loop at the top. When Firi brought the cloth over them Fable began to laugh and giggle.

"Aww, sweetie does that tickle?" Firi asked, rinsing the suds off her horns and head, revealing wet blond hair. "You look kinda like Markus, Fae."

A few minutes later Firi brought out a dry, clean, and happy Fable wrapped in a quilted blanket. Fable looked around and instantly squealed and reached out her arms toward Markus. When Firi didn't give her to him, however, Fable began to cry and wrap her tail around Firi's neck.

"JESUS!" Firi yelled, wrenching Fable's tail off her neck and giving her to Markus. Fable instantly giggled and wrapped her arms around Markus, or, attempted  to.

"Hey, darlin'. Now, you be nice to Aunt Firi, okay?"Markus told Fable, his finger on her nose.

"Oh, and Markus, I concluded that Fable is about a year old at least." Firi said, rubbing her reddened neck. Markus nodded and gave Fable a kiss on the forehead.

"And now, we ride!" He declared, a hand raised in triumph. Gregor cheered, and Ashe sighed. Firi just laughed and shrugged, then followed Markus outside the Ivory Rose tavern.

The bartender bid them goodbye and Ashe left the pay on the counter.

Outside, the sun was shining brightly but the roads were still wet from the night before. People walked about and shopkeepers yelled out prices and the state of their goods.

Ashe turned to see a column of smoke erupting from behind the tavern. She muttered that they needed to go. Now. Markus and Gregor quickly agreed and they scurried out of the town and down the street.

They'd reached a wooded road and decided to follow it straightway.

The sounds of birds chirping and the crashing of waves filled their ears as they talked. A small breeze blew in and the tree branches swayed.

Markus had decided that yesterday, April 7th, was Fable's birthday and the rest agreed.

Fable was sitting on Markus's shoulder and playing with his long blond hair.

"Dada?" Fable asked. Markus blushed and Firi and Ashe awed.

"Yeah, Fae?" Markus replied.

"Hungry!" She claimed, then looked to Gregor, who was walking beside Markus and her.

"Mama!" Fable said happily, groping at the brunette. Gregor paused and tried to get out words, but nothing came out. His face was turned to a beet red and Firi and Ashe stifled a laugh.

Markus's eyes widened and he smiled, trying to hold in a chuckle.

"Guess you're a mom now, Gregor!" Markus told him with a smirk, and Gregor shook his head to come back to consciousness.

"N-No! I'm not you mother!" Gregor protested. Fable cocked her head and began to quiver her lip. Tears formed in her violet eyes and she began to cry. Loudly.

"Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!" Gregor panicked. he reached for Fable, pulled her down and held her in his arms. She quickly calmed down and hugged Gregor's neck and sniffled.

"Don't fucking curse in front of the baby!" Ashe said, then caught her own mistake. Firi giggled, then pecked Ashe a kiss on the cheek.

Markus smiled lightly, and walked over to Fable. He brushed away a lock of Fable's blond hair and kissed her on top of her head.

"Touching."

Gregor and Markus's head cocked to the right. Thog was leaning against a tree scowling at them. Markus turned on his heels to face him.

"Oh, Thog. Didn't see a there. Where were you?" Markus asked calmly, with Gregor beside him, equally confused.

"You assholes left me at the tavern, so I walked down the road and figured I'd wait for you. I just didn't expect to walk in on a baby." Thog said plainly.

"Well sorry about leaving you, Thog. But not sorry about having you see that," Markus turned and picked Fable up proudly. "because I love Fable and am not afraid to show no matter who is watching." He huffed proudly, walking ahead with Gregor beside him. Markus quickly gave Fable back to Gregor.

Firi and Ashe laced fingers and went ahead of Markus and Gregor and caught some speed. Gregor looked down to Fable, who was now sleeping in his arms. He smiled and rocked her gently. He looked back up to Markus and motioned to follow Firi and Ashe. Markus nodded and went ahead with Gregor tailing behind.

"There's a pigbat cave to the left of this crossroad. Wanna go there? Maybe Don't is visiting relatives or something." Ashe suggested, pointing to a sign. One read 'Pigbat Caves'  and pointed to the left, the other read 'Castaway Village' and pointed to the right.

Markus and Gregor both agreed to visit the pigbat caves instead of the village, which could get them in trouble or get them mistaken for adventurers again, and Ashe didn't quite like that much.

The group began to walk down the dirt road together, and the massive cave came into view.

1,552 words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

373K 22.4K 80
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...
1M 39.1K 92
𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲, 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗔𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 �...
131K 3.6K 54
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
704K 11.3K 65
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝗔𝗱𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝗻𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗼 𝗮 𝗴𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗽𝗰𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗻𝗼 𝗺𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗳𝗮𝗺𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝘆𝗼�...