When Lightning Strikes

By AlwaysSunny

In a city full of villains, would you dare to be the hero? In Lincoln Grove, there hasn't been a hero in 12... More

Trailer
Chapter 1-- Bravery of a walnut
Chapter 2 -- The mastermind
Chapter 3 -- Try and keep up
Chapter 4 -- How about mercy?
Chapter 5 -- Crashing Red Raven's party
Chapter 6 -- Stuff up his sleeve
Chapter 7 -- You own a dress?
Chapter 8 -- Red Raven's suit
Chapter 9 -- Who's your hero?
Chapter 10 -- I just want chocolate
Chapter 11 -- The monster behind the mask
Chapter 12 -- A terrible tag team
Chapter 13 -- Bigger fish to fry
Chapter 14 -- You're just a shadow
Chapter 15 -- Drop us in traffic
Chapter 16 -- Someone has to be the renegade
Chapter 17 -- The ship has set sail
Chapter 18 -- Hail storm
Chapter 19 -- You're not so bad
Chapter 20 -- Watch out for falling houses
Chapter 21 -- You? Weaknesses?
Chapter 22 -- Falling pretty hard
Chapter 23 -- What peace feels like
Chapter 24 -- This maze called the Friendzone
Chapter 25 -- Run for the hills
Chapter 26 -- Thunder
Chapter 27 -- The Mystery Gang
Chapter 28 -- Record time
Chapter 29 -- Mother's intuition
Chapter 30 -- Is it a good plan?
A/N
Bonus Chapter 1 - Gang initiation after lunch
Bonus Chapter 2 - Methane, propane, and vegetable oil

Chapter 31 -- That went well

5.4K 242 281
By AlwaysSunny

The moment lasted an eternity. No one, hero nor villain, knew what to do in this situation. My best friend was passed out on the floor and the villain's leader could potentially be dead.

Thomas is the one to break the silence, and quite possibly my arm. He jumps up, pushing me off of him to go to his brother's side. I take the opportunity to run to Ash.

Her eyes are wide open but she looks sickly. I wave my hand in front of her face and she begins to gasp for air.

"Ash?" I'm ashamed to say I don't know CPR, but Mason pushes me to the side before I can help her in any way. I suppose there's nothing my brother can't do.

Jonas comes running up to me to embrace me in a tight hug. Behind him, the doors to the warehouse have busted open. News crews flood the building, the sounds of their high-dollar cameras clicking from every corner of the warehouse. Before Jonas says one word to me, I'm bombarded by people in suits and tons of questions. How did they get here so fast?

Jonas is whisked away to be interrogated as well. I look back at Ash and Mason to see she's awake now and Thomas is having a difficult time snapping Mickey out of whatever coma he's in. Even though Mickey's my ex and a villain, I don't want him to die. It wasn't supposed to happen like this.

"Rapid Glare, can you tell us how you found Red Raven's hideout?"

"Is it true there are really two Red Ravens?"

"How does your decision affect your friends?"

The last question I heard stuck out to me. My friends? Were they implying Ash who was clearly lying on the floor? The press wasn't the brightest pack of lightbulbs.

"My decision to strike Red Raven may have caused my friend to be electrocuted, but she's awake now." I'll be honest, I'm going to sound like a terrible hero in this interview.

"As for Red Raven, yes, there are two of them, and I was not the one to locate the hideout. My sidekick was the one to identify this building."

I hate to walk away at this point, but I don't think they realize that the scene isn't over, that there's still a mess to clean up. The cops haven't even arrived yet.

I make my way over to Thomas, who is frantically shaking his brother in an attempt to wake him up. I crouch down next to Mickey's face as Thomas looks at me curiously.

First I check his pulse, which seems to be something Thomas has not done yet, because Mickey is, in fact, alive. His chest barely rises and falls.

"If he's not awake by the time the police show up, you're dead meat." Thomas growls at me and pushes me away.

An idea comes to me, but I can't believe I'm even considering helping either of the Red Ravens. If I rub my hands together at a rapid speed, perhaps I can create enough of an electric current to jolt Mickey's heart. His heart may not be out of rhythm, but an electric cardioversion may be what he needs to wake up. Surely he'll be okay, though.

Don't take any chances. Don't let him die. I didn't die when I was struck by lightning, but I also wasn't linked to anything metal at the time. I sigh, and bring my hands together. As I rub my hands together, I look over to see Mason and Jonas helping Ash stand to her feet. This is all my fault. I could've killed both Ash and Mickey.

My eyes wander back down to Mickey as sparks have started to occur between my palms. I gently place my hands on his chest and allow the energy to shock him. Thomas is watching intently as nothing occurs.

Before Thomas can scold or threaten me, I try the process again. Mickey's body jerks, but his eyes are still closed.

"Rapid Glare! Can you explain what you're trying to do to Red Raven?" The press has followed me over to the corner of the warehouse to watch me fail at saving Mickey. I sit back on my heels, trying to think of a way to save him.

Sirens echo around the building, informing me that first responders are here. Hopefully that means the police will barge in any second now.

Suddenly Mickey's eyes are wide open, which I'll admit is a little creepy after he was almost pronounced dead. He reaches out for my wrist, a look in his eyes I've never seen before terrifies me. He can't do anything. He's powerless.

"You ruined my plan." He grits through his teeth, his hand still clenched on my wrist. The police are making their way over to us, but I'm afraid Mickey is going to snap my neck in the next two seconds.

Before Mickey or Thomas can say anything else, the police officers place handcuffs on the two of them. Mickey's fingernails are no longer digging into my wrist.

"This isn't over, Della." Mickey says, although it's barely audible. Thomas has nothing to say as he's whisked away, he just stares at me.

"Excuse me, Rapid Glare. We have a few questions we'd like to ask you." I turn to see the press has decided to leave me alone, but the authorities need some answers. I take a deep breath and allow the tall, broad man to begin his questioning. Jonas, Ash, and Mason join me because I'm not entirely sure I remember every detail of what just happened. Our plan was tossed out the window when Mickey said the machine would explode. Reality was blurred from there.

I've answered all of the questions I could. Why they want me to answer anymore makes no sense. Why does the press have to show up and pester us when the villains are still on the site? Mason, however, enjoys the attention as a new hero and these people are the kind he usually hangs out with.

The warehouse doors are standing wide open for me to see the two Red Ravens being pushed into the police car. Rain sprinkles down in the dark of the night, but there's no more thunder and lightning. The rain soon begins to let up.

I make my way out the door while Mason distracts the press. Before the cops drive off, I ask for a word with Red Raven.

I peer inside the open window to see Mickey and Thomas scowling and glaring at me. I put on a smile when I address them.

"I don't think you guys can escape prison this time." I taunt, propping my arm on the roof of the car.

Mickey's jaw clenches, "I wouldn't be so sure."

My eyebrows raise, "Need I remind you, you're powerless now?"

A devious smile spreads across his face, "I know." The police officer slides into the driver seat. I didn't know he was standing there, but the car cranks up and I step away.

"I know."

"Della!" Jonas' voice hollers out from the warehouse. He comes running up to me, and before I know it, I'm being scooped up in his arms as he spins around. Someone's excited.

He sets me down, probably because I was looking green. He cups his hands around my face, "We did it! Della, we finally got them!" I smile back at him, trying to forget what just happened with Mickey.

"I know!" I squeal in return as Mason and Ash join our side. The first responders begin to inspect the machine. Jonas tugs on the arm of my suit while I observe the police officers and fire fighters bashing the machine to pieces. I guess that puts an end to power transfers.

"Come on, Rapid Glare. They said we can go home, they'll take care of the rest." Jonas tells me. I'm still stunned that I made it out with my powers and that everyone's alive.

What if I had been struck by the lightning? The first time gave me powers, but could the second time have taken my life?

I begin to walk down the sidewalks to Jonas' truck as he holds my hand. Mason and Ash do the same and we make our way to the secluded gravel parking lot.

"This calls for a celebration! And since we missed most of the dance-" Jonas is interrupted by Ash.

"And everyone there is probably still in lockdown."

"We should throw our own party!" Jonas finishes with delight.

"A party just for us? We can't exactly throw a party celebrating our victory when no one knows we're supers." I chuckle at Jonas' excitement anyways.

"Yes! A party just for us! It'll be fun!"

I watch Mason roll his eyes, "Let's just bake a cake and call it a night." I nod my head, agreeing with Mason. Even though we could plan an epic party at a later date, none of us are really party people.

"Fine." Jonas huffs and unlocks his truck door as we step into the parking lot. The street lights above us cascade onto our faces and I find the night sky sparkled with stars.

I suppose it's the sky's way of saying the storm is over now.

***

Mom is the first to hug me, and I find myself not wanting to let go. I don't ask her how she knew or why she didn't join us. All I care about is our safety. We're home, in one piece. That's all that matters.

Jonas' parents as well as Ash's parents stuck around after we went to the dance. Thanks to my parents, they're aware of everything. I can only imagine how terrified they must have been when we walked out of the house and our parents informed them of our ordeal.

Jonas and Ash hug their parents and I think their moms are crying. It dawns on me that we'll have to explain to Ash's parents that she was the one on the other end of the machine. If Mickey's machine worked, Ash has his powers now. We'll save that information for later.

"Come on, let's go sit down and take all of this in." Ash's mother suggests. We all follow her in her black stiletto heels to our couch in the living room. We let the adults sit on the couches and we grab chairs from the kitchen table to sit in front of them.

For a few uncomfortable seconds, no one seems to know how to start the discussion. I decide to start, but maybe I should've thought of a better line.

"I'm Rapid Glare and I got my powers by a lightning strike."

If that doesn't frighten parents, I don't know what will. Ash's parents look absolutely concerned.

"So Ash's sketchbook really was filled with super suit ideas?" Her dad asks to no one in particular and we all chuckle a little. Leave it to Ash to leave something like that lying around.

Jonas is sitting beside me and goes next. "I'm her sidekick that still hasn't been given a name," he throws a fake scowl at me, "And I got my powers because I was dropped on my head as a baby."

Let's see, there are ten people in the room. All of them turn their heads to face Jonas. His parents automatically defend themselves. I find this whole situation comical but I don't think laughing is appropriate at the moment.

"What are you talking about?!?" His mother screeches, appalled that he would call them out like this.

Jonas clenches his stomach, holding back his laughter, "I don't know who dropped me, but you told me I was rushed to the hospital and they did an MRI and a CAT scan on my brain to look for any brain damage. Now, I may not be a genius like most of our team," I look over at him, knowing that the last comment was not referring to me. "But I believe the amount of radiation was an overwhelming amount for a 18 month old, and that is what activated my powers."

Ash leans over to look at me down the line. I shrug and turn to look at Jonas who is staring at his parents with a straight face, waiting for their response.

"Sometimes you actually say smart things, and I'm not sure how to take that." I admit to him. He rolls his eyes with a small smile.

"I'm so sorry, Jonas. Um, Tom, can you explain to me why our son even has the super gene?"

Oh boy. We were going to be here a while by the look on Jonas' dad's face.

Mason speaks up, "Well, I guess it's now or never. I'm Crossfire. Well, use to be. I got my powers because I was trying to create an alternative fuel and I kind of borrowed some chemicals from the lab at school and it may have exploded." Mom and dad's jaws drop. So they knew I was a hero, but not that Mason was a villain?

I'm starting to think this may not have been a great plan. Why did I open my mouth first? Let's just say all of our parents were starting to regret hugging us. They looked like they were going to ship us off to military school and legally change their names because they were so disappointed in us.

Everyone looks to Ash for her confession. There's a chance she doesn't have powers if she doesn't have the gene, but I'm not entirely sure how Red Raven's machine worked.

"I'm not sure what my super name is or if I even have powers-" She begins.

"You don't, sweetie. Neither of us have the gene as far as I know." Her mother interrupts. I can't believe my parents informed them of the super gene while we were gone. How much do they know now that they didn't know three hours ago?

"I was attached to Red Raven's machine tonight. There's a chance I may have received his powers." Ash rushes to get her words out before anyone interjects anything else.

Her mother faints.

Well, that went rather well.

***

The rest of the night consists of Jonas going on a baking spree as he tosses ingredients together to make the most delicious desserts I've ever tasted. Everyone seems to have calmed down, even Ash's mother who is now conscious. I watch as our families laugh and carry on at the kitchen table as I make my way over to Jonas, who's stirring brownie mix in a bowl.

"Here," He hands me the spoon he was using and begins to pour the mix into the pan. Mm, chocolate. "You can lick the spoon."

"Oh my gosh you love me." I declare, pointing my finger in accusation.

He looks over his shoulder with a chuckle, "What?"

"You know chocolate makes me hyper and you still gave this to me." I know I'm a bit too old to claim sugar still makes me hyper, but it's true.

Jonas turns around and snatches the spoon from my hand with a smirk, "I didn't know that was still an issue."

I gasp and run my finger across the rim of the mixing bowl. He eyes me suspiciously right before I plop the chocolate on his nose. He closes his eyes in exasperation, but seconds later he smiles and does the same to me.

Ash comes behind us to put the whip cream back in the refrigerator, but I take it from her hands. Taking the cap off, I aim it directly at Jonas' face. Ash stands back in amusement as I squirt whip cream into his perfectly styled hair as well.

Jonas bites his bottom lip and wipes his hand across his face, then proceeds to smear the whip cream on my forehead.

"No, no, no, no, no! Quit that! Go wash your faces right now!" My mother scolds from the kitchen table. She points for us to march upstairs and we reluctantly obey. Jonas chases me up the steps however, with a spoon covered in chocolate brownie mix.

We take turns washing our faces and hair in the sink. I suppose mom didn't want us messing up her kitchen anymore than we had already. She was probably cleaning off the counters as soon as we went upstairs.

"Okay, I think I got most of it. Just so you know, you got whip cream in my nose." Jonas sighs and throws a towel on the floor.

I smirk from my seat on the edge of the bath tub, "Sorry, but you started it."

He turns around from looking at himself in the mirror.

"Okay, how about a peace offering?" He sits beside me and takes something out of his jean's back pocket.

A black box appears in his hand and he fidgets with it. I'd be lying if I said I didn't flip out upon seeing the box.

"Jonas..." I warn.

Jonas lets his head flop down to his chin, "Della, it's a necklace," he laughs. He opens the box to reveal a gold chain necklace with a gold lightning bolt charm.

"It's beautiful." I breathe.

Jonas pulls his car keys out of his pocket next to reveal the same charm on his key ring.

"I've been carrying them around for a while, but I knew tonight was the best time." He twirls the key chain around in his hand.

"What if we lost tonight?" I ask.

He puts on a charming smile, "We wouldn't have lost, and you would still be getting this." He plants a kiss on my cheek and folds my hand to clasp around the necklace.

"Jonas!" His mom's voice comes from the bottom of the stairs. He reluctantly pulls himself off the edge of the tub and stands to his feet.

"Coming mom!" he shouts then turns back to me, "I guess that's my cue to leave."

A bittersweet smile spreads across my face, "Thank you for the necklace." He leans down to give me a quick kiss, then exits the bathroom.

I follow him down the steps because I hear everyone leaving. It feels like we were celebrating a victory, and I know we were definitely victorious, but there's something off. This wasn't the end of our adventures and fighting crime, but maybe that's what our parents expected.

I assist mom in cleaning up the kitchen and she tells me to go to bed.

"You've had a busy day, I'd say you need some sleep. I've got this." She kisses my forehead before I head up the stairs and catch dad before he goes to my parents' room.

"Thank you for supporting me." I hug my dad in a tight embrace. He pats my back, in what he deems an affectionate action. I laugh and head to my room. I change from my leggings and tank top into gym shorts that Mason gave me and a t-shirt from church camp.

I climb into my bed without completing any of my other night time routines. What a day. This blue comforter has never felt more, well, comfortable.

A slight draft breezes across my bare feet. Is the air conditioner running cooler than usual? I know it's the end of May, but it's a little too chilly.

I hop out of bed to go check the thermostat. I'm halfway to the door when I realize my window is slightly open. When did I open the window?

Suddenly, as I'm staring at the curtains blowing in the light wind, something covers my mouth, preventing my scream to reach anyone in the house.

A set of hands binds my hands behind my back with what feels like rope. A sharp object pierces the skin on my arm. I try to fight whatever is happening.

Then the world around me disappears from sight.

End Of book 1

A/N
Honestly, I thought I'd never finish this book. I've been writing it since November. Wow.

Okay, so, I know a lot of you are probably going to scream at me in the comments for ending the book like this. I'm terribly sorry to leave it here, but the second book will be here before you know it. Please be patient and wait for the sequel.

Speaking of the sequel, I will post the teaser probably in a few weeks, and the first chapter will be posted a little later. I'm still trying to work out a plan. Please follow if you want updates :)

Thank you all for reading and commenting and voting. You people are so amazing and hilarious too! I loved reading all of your comments! Please continue to follow Della on her unbelievable journey in the second book!

Always, Sunny

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 415 19
|| ONC2023 SHORTLISTER x 2 FEATURED || "𝙰 𝚋𝚕𝚊𝚗𝚔 𝚜𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚗𝚎𝚌𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚊𝚛𝚒𝚕𝚢 𝚊 𝚌𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚗 𝚘𝚗𝚎." Denizen is Blank Slate, th...
5.7K 687 43
Who said heroes and villains couldn't offer each other mutual benefits? In a region run by supers, Nic is a crooked superhero only in it for the mone...
408K 22.4K 81
Being a teenager is hard enough. Try balancing friends, school, and crushes all while saving the world on the side. Dante Caslon is just your averag...
50.1K 1.8K 74
Hypno-aka Y/n L/n-is a thief from Gotham who's making her way up the criminal ladder... well, sort of. The villainess is working with the Teen Titans...