A nightmare from the past (E...

By DezertFlower

The sequel to "The Outlaws Destiny", featuring the character Chyenne Murray. Having been settled for month... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20

Chapter 7

581 18 2
By DezertFlower

She hadn't been totally out of it yesterday. She had been conscious, almost the whole time, but she have had no clue really, or was it as simple as, she was just afraid to believe she had actually heard them call each other by name, maybe she had dreamt everything. Well, when the stitching of her knife wound began, she had finally passed out from the pain.

She couldn't help but smile at him. As lovely as she had found his smile before as lovely it was today.

Heyes glowed inside.

By the smile and the look she gave him, he knew that she still remembered. That was good he thought !

"Chyenne " he said with a soft touch to it, then he started to look concern, giving her a stern look, "How ? Well how did this happen ?" he sighed as he said the words.

Kid looked at them both, sensing something happen. His partner looked considerable far away as it was, and Chyenne's eyes was to drown in.

"Who have done this to you ?"

Heyes never turned away, kept his eyes locked at hers.

Kid stood up, thinking to leave them alone for a while, but before he left he gave her a unsure smile.

"We found you back in them woods yesterday, almost beaten to death and stabbed, "he took a short breath, "I personally, would like to know who have done this to you "

That got him a small smile back, but a brief one.

"I don't know, " she lied whispering," and I don't care, because I killed him !"

Kid and Heyes exchanged looks across the bed.

"Killed ?" Kid said worried.

"Yeah..." Chyenne sighed, "as in dead " Her head hurted, all these questions made her fatigued.

"How ? " Heyes had to cut in, seeing his partners look, a too familiar one. That was one of Kid's weakest spots, women in distress, trouble, pain or whatever you could think of, he needed to help out, it was his nature, it was Kid.

"I stabbed him..." she instinctively felt her hip, there were bandages there too, " with his knife !"

Heyes brow shot up.

"HIS knife ?" Kid decided to stay a little while longer.

Chyenne closed her eyes. She felt woozy. Had she said too much ? Was she guilty of anything ? Stupid question. Off course she was...she had killed a man !

She opened them again, and looked from one to the other. Gosh, they were both so handsome...but there was something in Heyes' eyes that still made her inside all warm, all tingly. Even that strange ache she had felt for him, had come back. She smiled a little as the memories of him kissing her popped back up in her head.

With a little snort she had to chase those thoughts away, ridiculous to even have them...she probably looked like a disaster now anyway.

"Yes, his knife. The one he stuck in my hip " she squinted at them," but I gave it back to him..."

"Oh!" the corner of Heyes' lips twitched as he brushed his bangs out of his eyes, " that was considerate of you "

Kid had to bite his lower lip, Chyenne had humour, maybe a sick sence of humour but, even almost beaten to death, she could make jokes about all of this.

She had to giggle softly at that remark from Heyes. Then she saw both of them grinning back at her.

"I guess it was. . .wasn't it? " she said with a thin voice. She smiled back at them as much the hurting allowed.

"Uhu. " Curry laughed softly and moved away from the bed. He gave Heyes a knowing look as he was about to leave the room, "I am gonna make some breakfast. Can you sit up?"

Chyenne looked surprised as she spoke softly.

"I don't know. Maybe "

Curry shot his partner a glance as he opened the door to get out.

"Then maybe Heyes can help you ?" he offered, drawing an annoyed stare from Heyes.

Then he shut the door on his way out, leaving them looking pretty awkward at each other.

Heyes rubbed his bristled chin, holding his hand in front of his face.

"I do have to warn you though " he said hoarsely, "Ya' know Kid's coffee, you might wanna pass on that "

A soft, almost irresistible, giggle slipped passed her bruised lips.

"But don't tell him I told you so..." he added quickly. He slowly lowered his hand and took a hold of the bedframe. He had to put his thoughts aside and concentrate on doing this in the best way possible for Chyenne, he couldn't act on his feelings. Her condition right now made it, in fact, impossible for him to act on anything.

"Well, were does it hurt the least ? " he said in a business like tone as he looked her over, "where can I ...?" his voice trailed off as he saw the look on her face.

Chyenne had to press her lips hard together and gather the little strenghts she had got, as not to laugh out loud at the politeness of him. This was not a feature she had expected from the former leader of the Devils Hole Gang.

"What ?" he raised his eyebrow, looking seriously worried,"what ?"

She shook her head, still pressing her lips tightly together. "Nothing...nothing at all "

His inability to form a sentence as he stood there, added to her amusement.

"Well, is there somewhere on your...on you, that doesn't hurt ?" he asked .

She sighed dejected and smiled sadly.

"No, I don't think so " her eyes spoke of sadness and hurt, "Just do it. "

Heyes looked aghast.

"I don't wanna hurt you. I won't do it ."

"Just do it Heyes " she sighed wearily, "Just get me up, PLEASE !"

Without thinking she had given him an angry stare, and she regretted it the fraction of a second later.

"Sorry " she pleaded quietly, "I'm not just used to have these kinda pains, you know "

He gave her a scowl and started to roll up his sleeves.

"No problems " he mumbled under his breath .

Then he carefully took hold of her shoulders, slowly slipping his hands behind them, feeling her stiffen by the pain it evoked. Then he just ever so slightly lifted her up towards him, and quickly put a pillow behind her back, for her to lean back at. Then he gently let go of the hold he had of her.

Chyenne was aware of that it was not just the pain that made it hard to breath. It was HIM, again, the proximity to him, the scent of him, pure maleness, that made it so hard to breath. And those eyes. Those eyes made her knees weak. Her whole body felt weak. The hurt and pain was something else..she could almost block that out, when looking at him.

She felt the touch of his hands on her shoulders and arms, and the feeling was disappointment, as he let her lean back on the pillows, letting go of the hold.

Now she almost sat up, almost. It was better than lying down anyway, she figured. She had a better view of where she was, how the room looked.

Oh, just one more bed, she thought...then she had to be in one of their beds. Inwardly she scolded herself, this realization adding to her now almost a ton weighing bad conscience. She owed them already...they had seen to it that she had been patched up too.

That made her moan quietly. By the looks of it, as she studied her bindings, there had been an actual doctor involved. That meant even more debt on her behalf.

Interrupting her thoughts, Curry came into the room holding a big tray in front of him.

She smiled as she saw the effort that had been made, the tray was crammed with food like smoked ham, bisquits, bread, jam, milk, vegetables and butter. And three cups of coffee.

Heyes raised his eyebrows as he saw the cups, and as his eyes met hers he grinned widely.

The twinkle in his eyes caught Chyenne off guard, she found it simply amazing. The depth of those dark, brown, almost black eyes, made her feel happy, but at the same time, very sad. His eyes were so captivating...so enthralling .How could she have said goodbye to him six months ago, and let him leave ? She had no clue.

Curry sat down the tray next to the bed and gave her a smile and a nod.

"I know Heyes here " he said giving Heyes a stare, "and just by seeing his devious grin, I have to say...don't believe what he says !"

Chyenne looked back at Curry, raising an eyebrow with difficulty. He frowned at her, motioning at her hands.

"You need any help ?"

Chyenne thought about the offer, but made her mind up pretty quick. The thought of having Kid Curry feeding her was mindblowing. No, she could not let that happen. She was not some kind of baby in need of pampering...god damn it, she was a grown woman, fully capable of doing things on her own. As she lingered on the matter, almost getting raped and killed, was one of them things.

Meeting his blue eyes, she shook her head.

"No, but thank you very much. I'll try to manage on my own." she said with a slight tremble on her voice, very much aware of the deep gaze she sensed from Heyes.

Her hands shaky as they fumbled to grab the knife and fork that was put on the tray. With a weary smile she looked up at both of them.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to be alone for a while " it was almost a whisper as she felt embarrased to even say it.

Both men looked at each other, and before Curry could say anything, Heyes grabbed him by the arm and pulled him backwards along with him, to the door.

"Kid, I think we better leave Chyenne alone " his eyes never leaving hers. Her eyes following his as he practically dragged Curry with him.

As they closed the door behind them, Heyes rubbed his jaw, then raked his hand through his hair.

Then he started pacing. He didn't know why, he just did it, felt right to do at that point.

Curry sat down by the table, reached for his gun in the holster, and started cleaning it. He had already done that methodical and thoroughly earlier this morning, but decided that it had to be done once again. Not that it was needed, but the procedure itself, made him calm and relaxed.

Every other second he glanced over at Heyes who was wearing the floor down, pacing.

A movement from outside made them both alert, and the moment after there was a soft, but urgent knock on the door.

Heyes slowly reached down and rested his hand on his gun, before he turned the knob to open the door.

Outside, with a heaving chest, breathing heavily, stood Millie Nolan. Her eyes nervously flickered around.

"Millie ?" he said and stepped aside as to let her in, " Anything wrong ?"

Millie took a determined step inside and motioned for Heyes to close the door.

"Thad...Joshua " she breathed" there is some disturbing news "

She dried her forehead from tiny drops of sweat that had formed, then she pulled a chair out.

Curry was on his feet, reaching for the chair, helping her to sit down.

"You boys better sit down as well " she said with a sinister voice, watching them, waiting for them to sit.

Curry looked at Heyes, shrugging his shoulder, then they both sat down simultaniously.

"Okay..." Heyes began, "now you tell us what's bothering you so much "

She took a long breath, breathed out slowly and looked from Heyes to Curry.

"Earlier this morning old Jenkins found the body of James 'Whitey' Canton up in Lake Forrest " she paused long enough for the words to sink in.

"James ?" Curry asked.

"Canton ?" Heyes continued, " as in The Whitey Bunch James ?"

Millie nodded gloomy.

Curry wasn't all that into accepting this right away, saying:

"Millie, it was old Jenkins...he can turn nobody into somebody, just by talking "

"No..." Millie shook her head, "several of the men in town, has identified him. Even I saw him...looks exactly like the wanted poster. He had just  grown a mustasch  "

Heyes had a feeling he knew how he had been killed, but he had to ask anyway.

"Was he shot ? "

Millie looked like she wanted to crawl under the table as she again shook her head No.

"That's the reason I wanted to talk to you " she glanced at the bedroom door, " he'd been stabbed. A knife through his heart...dead centre."

Curry buried his face in his hands, letting a small groan escape.

"The Whitey Bunch...darn !"

Heyes also wanted to express his discontent about these bad news, but remained calm and gave Millie a small smile.

"The good part in this, is that old Jenkins will have some more money to spend over at the saloon, as he will collect the reward on James " he sighed turning his head down, "the bad part is, the rest of the gang will probably want revenge "

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2M 36.3K 49
Hannibal Heyes is an outlaw trying to go straight. He's wanted dead or alive. The former leader of the Devil's Hole Gang doesn't have time or room fo...
19.4K 312 61
Stacy Greene has just moved to town from California to get away from her past. She meets a gang of 'greasers' and quickly becomes friends with them...
8.2K 90 24
The sequel to my first story. Uldren Sov is still alive, despite being shot by Jacklyn. After a sad funeral, someone is on a mission to find the man...
2.1K 62 19
Sequel of Life of Avery Brown.