Chapter 10

During the days that had passed, Chyenne had gotten her bindings taken off, and her bruises and swellings had almost all disappeared and the stiches were gone. Her beautiful face just showed a hint of a faded bruise an inch below her left eye. She had been gifted with a small hand mirror from Millie,so she could check her healing without having to get out of bed. That had made her smile a little, the older womans motherly tending on her and fussing about, sometimes got a little out of hand. She was fully capable of getting out of bed on her own now, and she did it at any opportunity she got.

One thing she could not do however, was figure Hannibal Heyes out.

The Kid was easier, he was kind and considerate and gentle towards her, becoming her friend, again. She could talk to him for hours, and he would let her.

Hannibal was different. One moment he was kind and gentle, the next he kept his distance. Why ? And then there was that something, in his way of looking at her sometimes, warmth, want, desire ? Or maybe she just saw what she wanted to see, what she longed for herself. What she wanted, from this man that had become to mean so much for her.

She was alone in the kitchen, finishing the umpteenth cup of coffee, and it wasn't even dark outside yet. Stretching out her body, she felt better than ever. Even the deep wound on her hip was just a distant memory to her now. Looking down on herself as she sat by the table, made her smile a little.

Millie, god bless her, had bought her a dress in town yesterday, and it seemed like it was made just for her. Even though she was more comfortable in mens clothes, she had accepted as she had nothing else to wear. Nothing at all. She had put it on right after Heyes and Curry had left the house, to work outside. It hugged her perfectly in just the right places, and the color was right too, a bright yellow tone, made her dark hair look almost black. Chyenne liked it in fact, and even she could figure out that she looked quite alright in it. She had decided to surprise the boys, showing them the outfit.

She leaned over the table, glancing outside. Spotting Heyes, her heart rate speeded up a notch.

With dismay she had during these past few days realized where her feelings were heading, she actually knew now what they meant, and she was deeply troubled by it. She wasn't used to have those kind of feelings. She had never had them, in fact, the day she realized she had any feelings what so ever, was the day a few months ago when she met Hannibal Heyes.

Easing her hand down the fabric of the dress, she was amazed that it was so soft, Millie had really outdone herself this time. Chyenne had no idea why the older woman cared for her or fussed over her, she hadn't done anything that deserved such treatment, but she was utterly grateful.

She stood up, and the dress billowed down her legs like a ray of sunshine. She felt pretty, the dress made her feel that way, but she had no idea if that actually was the case. She had no desire to look at herself in the mirror. The last times, she had done that, with the help of Millie, she had been horrified. So that little hand mirror was still unused.

She looked out, seeing both of them as they were heading inside the barn. Purposeful she went out from the house, walking towards the barn and entered through the big doors.

Kid put down the hammer and dried his forehead with his bandana. This day, they have had their fair share of hard work. He glanced over at Heyes, finding himself at ease over the fact that he looked as worn out as he was.

"You figure Millie's gonna come by tonite' ?" he asked as he started to roll up his sleeves, his back at Heyes.

As Heyes was facing inwards, he never saw Chyenne entering the barn and stop as she saw them.

"You never know with her. She's spoiling Chyenne rotten, that's for sure," he also took a short pause to wipe his forehead with a cloth, " Like that dress she bought her yesterday, huh ! Nice gesture, really, but what was the point of doing that ?"he said, and was about to continue.