Kindness is Free

By CadencePhoenix

Monsters were freed from the barrier a year ago, and people still don't accept them yet. Riots and complaints... More

Chapter 1 (I don't have creative chapter names)
WHAT?
You get to see your SOUL... Yay?
Puns for Dayz
It's Nothing
Murphy's Law
Food and Rest
Hood Up
Flashbacks
Their Human
Henloooo

Point of View

749 39 22
By CadencePhoenix

A/N

Scarf does not know that he is called Scarf yet. (He's called scarf in Lea's mind but ya know :P )

ONTO THE STORY

WOO

-Scarf's POV-

He watched Miss Leala's face shift into a state of calm sleep and he smiled, grabbing the edge of the blanket and going under it. He laid down on top of her chest and curled into a ball. He thought back to the events that transpired today.

...Such a kind human could get hurt in this world.

He wanted to make sure she never did.

He fell asleep to the thoughts of the past.

-Scarf's POV-

The first thing he remembered was a light coming from a crack in the dark sky.

Oh wait, that wasn't the sky...?

His brothers were next to him, shivering from the state they were in. All he could feel was cold and wetness surrounding him, a foul odour he could not discern invading his sense of smell. Small bony phalanges brushed up against his, and he grasped them carefully. Knowing that his brother's hand was not fully healed since the last attack by the humans...

He had believed in them. They'd said they would change their ways. He'd believed that they were telling the truth when they said they were bringing him and his brothers to a good place.

Never had he been so wrong to...

They tossed them around like they were playthings, shaking the box they resided in like it was one of those human instruments he saw on TV, they insulted the three of them like they couldn't understand... Like they couldn't feel.

But they could.

They had thrown the box they trapped him and his brothers in into an awful smelling vehicle and driven them somewhere.

"You should have never come here you little pieces of s-" The angry human was interrupted by another human.

"Dude, I think someone is listening in..." A gravelly voice said.

"Hah, like they'll stop us anyway. Practically everyone hates monsters the same as us." The angry human said. He was right, wasn't he...? The thought made the scarfed bitty hurt inside.

He felt the box lurch before it stopped with a great thump onto a solid surface.

It was dark, so he couldn't see anything but the dim glow of his brother's SOULs. Footsteps travelled to the right and became quieter, he assumed that they were walking away, finally going to leave them be. He scuffled over to his orange hooded brother. He's still unconscious...

He heard the engine of the vehicle start up as if they were going to leave.

Are they going to run over it?

What?

Who's voice was that?

He looked around frantically trying to find out where the voice came from.

And then he froze, the words from the angry human piercing the silence.

 "This is what you get, you stupid monsters! Should never have come up here!" Said the angry human.

 "Have a nice time dying, you pathetic pieces of garbage!!!"  The gravelly voiced human said. He heard the rumbling of the vehicle get closer...

No-!

"OH HELL NAW!!" He flinched as he heard a booming voice echo through the surroundings of the box. He still couldn't see anything besides the crack of light, slowly he tried to adjust his eye sockets to the brightness, what felt like a long time and he finally adjusted his eyes. Great! And he saw... A metal-ish ceiling?

He heard heavy footfalls getting closer to where he and his brothers were. A glowing light of multiple colours getting bigger and the heavy footsteps were getting louder-

"Get OUT Of The Way!" The angry human said.

To who-

He whipped his head around when he heard a scraping noise, looking to see through the small opening in the top of the box. A shadow cursed under its breath and winced.

Another human maybe...?

He saw it pause and then felt the box move a bit too fast and he fell over, it didn't hurt though. But he was worried about his brothers... They were the ones who protected him from-

He was cut off as the box felt like it was floating, and then as quick as the feeling came, it left and he fell down again. A pained gasp came from outside and he was now curious/concerned as to who was holding them now, despite his own injuries, he wanted to make sure his brothers were safe. He could hear a faint breathing coming from outside, light beads of magical sweat gathered on his brow-bone as one of his brothers woke up.

"What the HELL do you think you're doing?!"  He flinched as he heard the angry human yell. The voice reverberating against the cardboard box they were being carried in. He felt his blue brother panic at the loud interruption of slumber, so he went over to calm him down, even though he was nervous himself. With a comforting hand on his brother's shoulder, he looked through the gap at the top of the box. He could hear footsteps slamming against the ground outside of the small enclosed space, getting closer by the second.

And then, an unknown voice spoke.

It was soft and brittle like they wanted to cry but couldn't... Or wouldn't?

"Uhm... I-I was j-just..."Why do they sound scared...? His awake brother looked up, eye dimly lit up with soft blue flames as he heard the angrier human respond, much louder than the previous time.

"That's mine! GIVE IT BACK!!!" He felt the box jerk quickly away from an invisible force that reached for it and he and his brothers went slamming into the farthest cardboard wall painfully.

Quickly he gathered his bearings and got up as soon as he could. But just as he was about to walk forward, something cracked underneath him. And it was all he could do not to scream in agony when he dropped to the ground, clutching the air around his leg before gently covering it with his hands. He tried to hold in his tears, but it was no good. The pain in his fibula was too much. He looked down, tears pouring out of his sockets as he opened his phalanges slowly only to see that marrow leaked through cracks in his bone. If he had a stomach, he would have regurgitated everything in it by now. A bright light drew his attention away from the cracked fibula and he looked up, he saw a multicoloured light in front of them, off-white colour with pink cracks shaking on the soft surface like rippling water.

"I'm sorry, I jerked it too hard..." He heard the unknown voice say as the colours switched from pinkish white to a dull blue and grey. Why are they apologising... Humans never apologise...?

He flinched as the box shifted, making his leg tap against the cardboard and him whimper in pain.

He heard a grunt come from far away and his soul froze. OH NO, WHAT IF THEY HEARD-

The light-shape glowed comfortingly as if trying to calm him down, shining a with a faint green. He then heard the angry human's uneven sounding footsteps walk away and then a scrape against a metal of some kind. The light in front of him shivered and the pink cracks he saw earlier rose above the face of the faded green.

The light shivered...

Wait, IS THAT THEIR SOUL-

"You dirty monster lover." He heard the angry human say, a clicking sound coming from the same general direction. Wait, monster lover?

Silence.

Too much silence-

"It's not fair..." He heard the unknown voice say in a whisper, a light thumping sound emanating from the now dimmed light shape. 

What.

"It's not fair monsters are treated like this..."

What...?

He looked up at the shadowy figure through the opening above and saw a faintly visible face, the box started shivering and something sparkly near their eyes shined for a quick moment.

He heard faint snickering in the distance. "That's what they should be treated like, they're disgusting." He heard a spitting sound and then the angry human continued...  "That's why they're called 'monsters'."

...

A soft pat came from the crack as he looked on, and a warm liquid dropped itself on his face. He sputtered and wiped it off with his tattered scarf, but he tasted it before he could get all of it off his skull.

It tasted salty... Tears?

"It's not right... They shouldn't treat you all like this..." Why is the human crying...?

More soft pat sounds came from above, but the liquid didn't get through the crack like before. His eyes glowed a bit brighter, but he dimmed them quickly as his magic leaked from the wound on his leg.

A particularly strong Tha-Thump sounded from the dim light as he looked at the ever fading glow.

And then it went out.

OH...

OH WAIT NO!

OH, MY GOODNESS! IS THE HUMAN DEAD?!

It quickly came back, brighter than before. Oh, thank Toriel... Wait, I should not be concerned with their health-!

A faint 'Bye Bye' is heard in the distance, but what stops his thoughts is the singing.

"I look upon a star..." He heard.

"And I see night shift to day..."

He felt his strength returning and looked down to check himself. His HP was raising! What was this strange human doing? He looked over to his brothers as well and saw that there was a faint green glow coming from both of them, their HP was raising too!

 "I feel the grass grow, And I hear you next to me:"  He looked up and saw an actual face and not just shadows.

A human. A crying and smiling human. They were looking directly at him... Though he did not think that they knew they were... But... "You are a blessing for my weak heart."  What?

"You are the sunshine in the dark" ...wh...why? He didn't realise his fibula was fully healed.

An 'aha!' sounded in the distance, but he barely noticed, entranced by the human's song. He felt shuffling next to him, his brothers must have woken up. He felt their presence on either side of him.

"You're the gift that I'll never part with..." The human closed their eyes and tears almost fell from them. "You're the missing puzzle piece I needed."

He knew his brothers felt it. He did too but... He didn't want to admit it to himself.

So many people had felt different, but when they decided to trust the person, they showed their true selves and betrayed him and his brothers. He couldn't let himself trust that feeling.

The light in front of them glowed a soft green light. And shined brighter with each word said.

A gunshot was heard and the three of them flinch, but a calming voice softly spoke to them. "I will protect you.". Who's voice was that?  He made a confused face and looked at his brothers, they were looking at the glowing light. "I'll be there when the sky is blue, or rather when it's any hue." the human above them sung. Was that the human's SOUL that said that...? But... How?

Another bang sounded outside and they all flinched again, but a calming sweep of emotions grounded him on the cardboard floor, looking up at the green light. He stared at it, astonished by the kindness that just emanated from this person. No, not kindness only... "I'll be here, with you." Was that... Love?

How...? W-Why?

Another thumping sound erupted from the Soul in front of them and it grew extremely bright as it came closer until a green heart shape emerged into the small box and cast a bright green glow over everything the light touched.

"I'll protect you." He heard the voice above them say. And then a loud sound came from outside the box, making them flinch and look to where they thought the sound came from.

"I won't let them hurt you anymore." His eye sockets widen, and he stared disbelievingly at the  SOUL in front of him, it shined a vibrant yellow and blue making green in the centre as the colours blended and swirled together. How can a human, a HUMAN, be this...This...! The box shook a bit, He guessed that the human had finally decided to get up.

"Leave them BE..." He heard the human carrying the box say. The SOUL turned a fiery orange and red, whisps of magic swirling around in a green haze.

"WHY? THEY'RE MONSTERS!" He felt his brothers flinch when the angry human said that...

Faint clicking came from outside, and then the box moved in a spinning way. His brothers tried to speak to him, but he signed to them that it'd be too dangerous.

What he heard next, stopped him and his brothers from doing anything else...

"My mother always told me that the greatest good will always be pursued by a harmful evil. Maybe this is what she meant...? Heh..." A pause was heard. "It... It was nice to meet you, even though I don't know what you look like..." Quiet patting of tears on cardboard filled their ears, and then the human chuckled. They sound...sad.

"I meant it though," He felt the box constrict as the human held onto it tightly. Making the SOUL come closer to them.

And then the SOUL whispered and completed the human's sentence, glowing a bright neon green as they spoke in unison:

"When I said I'd Protect You."

He heard whizzes of air.

Wake up.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 335 11
Based on how chaotic your life is, you can't say you're shocked to see how your day turned out to be. You barely remember how you ended up in this da...
2.7K 83 36
[This story is officially completed, and any A/Ns have been removed for best reading experience. Enjoy!] A month after Frisk freed all monsters, Char...
8.4K 154 25
Comicmaker12 from Wattpad (FINISHED)You live at the edge of an forest and you don't have a boyfriend just an crush>"< ^_^ and SOMEONE doesn't like it...
12.8K 490 17
EDIT: READER AND PAPYRUS ARE BOTH IN THEIR TEENS!! WARNING: BOOK CONTAINS SWEARING/CUSSING AND VIOLENCE Just before she passed away, my grandmother...