In the Dark

By Merrrrrrlin_17

Melanie and Sarah take a summer trip to England hoping to meet her favorite band. Will something change her m... More

In the Dark
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Author's Note
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Author's Note
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Author's Note
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Author's Note
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 12

30 2 2
By Merrrrrrlin_17

**Mel’s POV**

I open my eyes to an extremely bright light. I sit up, and realize that I am in my bedroom. I look at my alarm clock and it reads 8:31. My bedroom light is on, causing me to be blinded for a minute. I go downstairs to find the lads and Erin. Erin has my phone in her hand. “GIVE ME THAT YOU TURD!” I yell. 

“Gotta run boys, BYE!” She drops my phone and I chase after her. I am a little faster than her, but by the time I get to her, she shuts her bedroom door and locks it. I give up and go back downstairs. 

“Your turn boys. Explican. Now” I use my spanish skills, which I am amazing at. Hahaha, no. 

“Okay, we were just going through your contacts to see who else we could invite to your party, but you had already invited them. Then Erin started playing flappy bird” Harry says, hiding behind Louis. 

“Liam, is this true?” I ask

“Yeah, it is. Really,” Liam says, just as scared as Harry. 

“Alright. I forgive you” I sigh. “So what do you guys want to do?” 

“Well, we were thinking about watching The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Is that alri-

“I’LL BE RIGHT BACK!!!” I sprint upstairs and back down, and put popcorn in the microwave. I rush to put the movie in the DVD player. Once I get to the main menu, the popcorn is done. I popped three bags, just because I have to eat while watching these movies. 

“Whoa, I’ve never seen you move that fast Mel. You must really like these movies...” Niall says a bit concerned. 

“I AM OBSESSED. I. LOVE. THEM. ADKFJALSDJ” The last part sounded a bit like gibberish. 

We sit and watch the movies, and even though I have seen the first one multiple times, the part when Peeta gets attacked by the muttations, I still jump every time. We finish that movie, and it is about 10:30. We put the second one in and I can’t sleep through these movies. My comment when I first saw the movie in theaters was So, Katniss broke the Hunger Games... When that movie is over, I go upstairs and sleep some more. 

I wake up, and look at my phone first thing. Today is Wednesday, and I absolutely cannot wait for Saturday to arrive. I really wish Sarah could have come but she’s still in London. She ended up getting into one of the schools over there. I couldn’t ask for her to miss school to come see me. As much as I know she would, I wouldn’t want her to. When I was at Deb the other day, I bought myself a nice dress to wear at my party. It would be the dress that I would have worn to my senior prom, but I don’t go to Vermilion anymore. It is a gorgeous turquoise-y color. 

**Time Skip to Friday**

Over the next couple of days, the lads help me plan my party. As Friday arrives, I realize  that I had forgotten to order my cake. “Uh Mel, don’t you need a cake for your party?” 

“Shit, I do. I totally forgot to order one too. I guess I’ll just have to make my own” 

Louis interjected by saying, “Mel, don’t worry about it. I’ll make it” he then smiled. 

I nod my head, and thank him. I know that the lads all got me presents, but I know they would have spent a lot of money on me. 

“Lads, I’m going shopping. Does anyone need anything?” I yell. 

“We’re good, but I’ll go with you if you’d like” Harry offered. 

“Thanks Haz, that’d be great” Louis would have gone, but he looked like he was just getting ready to start baking my cake. 

We get in the car, and we have some quality Mel+Harry time. “So what did you want to go out shopping for?” 

“Well, you remember my friend Connor, right?” he nodded “Well, he just turned 17 last month, and I totally forgot to send him something. That’s why I’m really glad you came, because you and him are about the same size clothing. And if worse comes to worse, I’ll just get him a $50 Starbucks gift card” 

“Are you sure Louis won’t mind you doing this?” 

“If he does, then I don’t see how he trusts me. I’ve only seen Connor like twice in the past year. I also need to get Sarah something” 

“Alright, I don’t mind helping out a bit” he smiled. 

Three hours later and I have finally finished shopping for Sarah and Connor. I couldn’t find a whole lot of stuff for Connor, just Cedar Point sweatshirts, so I got him the gift card too. “Ugh, I feel like I am helping Zayn carry in his hair supplies” He groaned. 

“Hey, you offered to go, that means you offer to help bring stuff in. It’s all going in my closet anyway” We trudge up the stairs, and put everything in my closet. I stay upstairs and wrap their presents, and that takes about an hour and a half. I check my phone, and I have one text. 

From: Connor:)

Can’t wait to see you tomorrow. I really hope you like the present I got you! 

To: Connor:) 

No doubt in my mind that I will love it. Can’t wait! 

From: Connor:) 

Haha alright, I’ll see you at about 5. Holla! :)

With that, I lock my phone and head back downstairs. It’s about 8:00 so I decide I’m just going to go to bed. “Hey boys, I’m heading to bed. I’ve been very busy lately. I also want to thank you so much for all of your help planning my party” 

“It’s not a problem Mel, we want to do it. We don’t normally get to do this kind of thing. It’s always about who can get in to see us” Niall explains 

“Night babe” Louis kisses my cheek and smiles. 

“Night Mel” the rest say

I head back upstairs and admire my dress one last time until tomorrow. I turn my t.v. on and watch Criminal Minds. I soon sleep the night away, and dream about my party. 

**Louis’ POV** 

Now that Mel has gone upstairs to bed, I can finish my last minute present wrapping. The boys really did help me find these presents, so I have to give them credit too. Mr. Davis was the biggest help though. The rest of the group heads up one by one, so they get enough sleep for tomorrow. 

I look at the clock hanging on the wall and it reads 1:02. I trudge upstairs and crawl into Mel’s bed, and she immediately forms to my body. I play with her hair a bit, and I fall asleep soon as well. 

**Mel’s POV**

I wake up, and smile. My smile will not falter today. I am 18 years old now. I can officially move out now. I love my parents, but I really want to move to London with Louis. I get out of bed and take a shower immediately, so my hair has time to dry. When I am done in the shower, I throw on some shorts, a sports bra and a tank top. I glance at my phone and see that it is 9:30 already. I brush my hair and go downstairs. 

I go into our dining room, where my mom, dad, and sister are sitting. “Happy Birthday baby. I can’t believe my daughter is already 18 years old” my mom smiles. 

“Thank you Mom, I love you” 

“Happy Birthday kiddo. I hope you have a good day, we need to have some time as a family together and Louis before you move to London officially. Alright?”

“Okay Dad” I smile. I have always loved my family. We have had nothing but fun together too. 

“Hey Mel, Happy birthday” Erin comes up to me and gives me a big hug “I really hope you like the present I got you” she smiles. “Oh and by the way, I wouldn’t get dressed for your party until about 3” 

“Thanks, hey do you want to help me wake Louis up and help me do my hair?” 

“Sure!” Erin has always been the one more into fashion. Until recently, my fashion has consisted of jeans, boots, and a tournament t-shirt. 

I mouth at Erin, 1, 2, 3, “WAKE UP LOUIS!!!!” We yell together. He jumps up, and screams back, 

“I”M UP, WHAT DO YOU WANT?” 

“Well, I want a final opinion on my hair and makeup for today. I am doing them now so I can relax later” 

“With your hair, I was thinking we could do a tight curl, and pull half up into a high pony tail” Erin explains

“Oh yeah! When you curled your hair for one of our dates, I absolutely loved it” Louis smiles. 

Erin blow dries half of my head while Louis does the other half. At one point during this process, Niall, Liam, Harry, and even Zayn had poked their heads in to say happy birthday. When Erin and Lou finish, Erin starts curling immediately. She leaves my bangs hang in my face, and curls the front half first. She pulls that into the pony tail and curls the back half next. When it is all curled, She does the bangs. They partially hang in my face, then pins them back. I look in my mirror, and smile once more. “Thank you so much turd! Love you!” I squeeze her. 

We hang out for a couple of hours, and I realize that I haven’t seen the cake Louis made yesterday.

“Louis, can I see the cake you made?” 

“Nope, it’s a surprise!” He smirks. While I love surprises, the anxiety kills me. 

I go back upstairs to distract myself, and Erin is getting her makeup spread out. “Now, let me see your dress. I need to know how to do your makeup” 

I show her, and she picks out some colors. I choose the final shades, one is a dark blue eyeshadow, and a light shimmer powder over that. I don’t do foundation or cover up, so I just do a very light pink shimmer across my face. I use a natural lip gloss, and my makeup is done. 

“Um, Mel. Get your dress on. It’s 4:30” Erin tells me. I shoo her out of my room, and struggle to find my strapless bra. Once I find it, I put it on and slip the dress on. I can’t get it zipped though. 

“LOUIS!” He runs up the stairs. 

“Yeah?” 

“I need you to zip my dress” I blush a little. 

He rubs his warm hands on my back and zips the dress. “Anything else?” 

“Would you mind hooking my necklace?” 

“Not at all. I will do anything for you today” he whispers, sending shivers down my spine. He clips the necklace, and I sit down. I bend over to pick up my shoes, but he does the whole Prince Charming thing and put my shoes on my feet for me. 

“Why thank you Prince Charming” I smile. As we go downstairs, I see that Ariona has arrived. 

“Hey girl!” she comes up and hugs me. 

“Hey! Thanks for coming!” 

“I couldn’t miss one of my best friend’s 18th birthday party” she tells me. I am about to reply, but the doorbell rings. I open the door to reveal Connor. 

“Hey Connor, come in. Thanks for coming!” I smile. 

“Hey! Thanks for having me. You look beautiful by the way”

“Aw, thanks” I hug him. I have missed his hugs. He seriously gives the best hugs ever. Almost better than Horan hugs. Almost. “Oh, hang out here. I’ve got something for you!” I run upstairs and grab his presents. I take them back down, and hand them to him. 

“What are these?” He asks, confused. 

“They’re the birthday presents I bought you. I felt really bad that I didn’t get you anything, so I bought you something!” I smiled. 

“Oh you know me too well. I love it. Especially the gift card” He hugs me again. “Thank you so much. But today isn’t my birthday, it’s yours.” 

“I know, but I had to do it” I explain. 

Everybody else arrives, and we begin by cutting the cake. The boys carry it in, and it is fabulous. It is a cake that I would have ordered from Buddy Valastro, the Cake Boss host. Then, I realize who just walked in. 

“Happy Birthday Melanie. I hope you enjoy your cake” Buddy says. He then cracks me up with his signature line, “Who wants to eat some cake?” Everyone cheers, and I cut the cake for everyone. 

“Louis, you didn’t have to order this cake for me. They cost a fortune-” 

“But I wanted to. This is just one of my surprises for you. I wanted to make your birthday special” 

Everyone throws their plates away, and decide that I should open my presents next. 

“I have one for you, but first you have to close your eyes. I have to go grab it. I couldn’t wrap it” I do as I’m told and close my eyes. When I hear that the shuffling has stopped, Louis says “Okay you can open them” Just then, two hands cover my eyes. 

“Louis, you just said I could open my eyes. Move your hands” 

“I would, if they were mine” I remove the person’s hands from my eyes, and turn around to see Sarah. 

“AHH! Sarah!” I hug her. 

“Happy Birthday Mel!” She says in our hug. 

“How?” 

I look at Louis, who looks at Sarah, who looks at Liam. 

“Liam, did you really have her flown out here for me?” 

“Yeah, I did. I know how close you two are, and I couldn’t imagine my birthday without the lads around” I hug him. 

“I’m only going to say thank you once. I thank you all in advance for your presents!” I yell, and everyone chuckles. 

“Me next!” Niall yells. I open his to see a ‘Free Hugs’ shirt identical to his. Under that, I find another pair of red skinny jeans. I smile at him. 

I finish opening the lads’ presents, and here’s what they got me: Harry- gift cards to Starbucks and Kohl’s, Liam- A diamond necklace/earring set, and Zayn- A new hair straightener, curler, and tickets to a Bruno Mars concert. 

I open Connor’s present next, and it is quite a large box. I open it to find another box. I look at him, and he is recording me. I open that one to find a smaller box. Once I open that one, I see a photo album on the side. I set it to the side, and open the next box. When I open that one, I find another box. When I get down to what has to be the last box, I open that to find a locket. It has three pictures of us. I go through the photo album, and they are all from last year. Except the one at the very end. It is of us the day we met back up over the summer. I go up to him and hug him. “I love it Connor. Thank you so much” 

“Well, since we can’t talk very often, I thought I might as well get you something so you don’t forget about me” he chuckles. 

I open everyone else’s presents, and by that time it is 10:00. Everyone leaves except for Connor. “Mel, I have had a lot of fun, but I should get going” 

“Let me walk you out then” we walk outside, very slowly “Thank you so much for coming Connor. It means so much to me” I smile at him. 

“Not a problem. I’m really glad you liked the presents” As we approach his car, I know neither of us wants him to leave. 

“I love them. I’ll be sure to text you whenever I can-” he cuts me off, and kisses me gently on the lips. 

I kiss him back, but he breaks apart soon. 

“Mel, before I go, I need to tell you something. I thought I liked you, but kissing you just now reassured me. I’d been questioning this for a while, but now I know for sure. I’m gay. I thought it was just me when I looked at your friend, but now I know for sure. I thought that if I were straight, I would marry you. Now that I know that I wouldn’t feel anything, I can’t hold you back from your relationship with Louis. Please don’t tell anyone” He smiles. As he is about to walk away, I grab his wrist. 

“Wait, I could care less if you’re gay. I still like you as a person. Don’t think this will change how our friendship is. Which friend are you talking about?” 

“The blonde one” he blushes a bit. 

“Aww, you two would be so cute together! Anyway, I’ll miss you Connor” I hug him one last time and go inside. He pulls out of our driveway, and the house is silent. 

“Are you going to tell Louis?” A voice startles me

“Liam, you scared me. And tell him what?” 

“That you two kissed” he stated like it were the most obvious thing on the planet. 

“No. I don’t think I need to-

“What?” Louis asks from the doorway, teary-eyed. 

“No, Louis, it’s not what it sounds like” 

“Oh it’s exactly what it sounds like. I trust you, and you break it” 

“LOUIS” I grab his wrist “HE’S GAY. HE WANTED TO SEE IF HE FELT ANYTHING. HE DIDN’T. HE LIKES SOMEONE ELSE” I yell, tearing up. “But obviously you don’t trust me enough” I throw his wrist and storm up to my room. I lock the door, and sit in silence, with the exception of my sobs. 

I hear a knock on the door, followed by “Mel, let me in” by Louis

“Why should I? I thought I broke our trust” 

“Because I didn’t know about it. Just please, let me in” 

“No” 

“Fine, I’ll just sit against your door until you come out” I hear him slide against the door. 

“Louis, please just go away. I need time to think” 

“Can’t you think with me not in your room?” 

“No. I can’t not when you’re pressuring me” 

“Fine. I’ll be downstairs” I hear him huff and go downstairs. I recall the events of the evening. Today was supposed to be a good day, not the worst day of my life. 

“Mel? Can I come in?” Liam asked outside my door. 

“Yeah, just a second” I look in the mirror, grab my towel and wipe my face. I open the door, only to be engulfed in a hug by him. 

“Mel, please forgive Louis. Honestly, I would have never guessed he was gay” 

“Neither did I. But I do know who he likes. Between you and me, it’s Niall” I chuckle. 

“Wow. Well, I just came up to see if you were alright. Plus, Louis still has a couple of presents for you” He started walking out the door. “Oh, and if I were you, I’d hurry.” 

I clean up my face as best I can, and go downstairs. “Louis?” I ask. He looks up at me, and the skin under his eyes was puffy. 

“Mel” I hear him breathe. “Come with me” he grabs my hand and we walk outside. 

I follow Louis, and we are both smiling. He takes me out to our pool deck, which is decorated with some white Christmas lights. There is a table, two plates, and two chairs. He pulls a chair out for me, and he sits down. 

Soon, very quiet music starts playing. We eat the food while it is still a little warm, and look up at the stars. 

“Dance with me” Louis states, taking my hand. I stand up and we begin slow dancing. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a flash. Probably my dad wanting pictures, but oh well. After 10 minutes of silence, Louis speaks up again. “Mel, look at me” I take my head off of his chest and look at him. “What happened earlier was nothing. I truly hope nothing happens between us. I love you so much. I am so glad you chose me to be your first everything. That’s why I hope you will be my first at something” 

“What’s that Louis?” 

He gets down on his knee, and says “I love you so much. This is a promise ring. When you put it on, it means that somehow, someday, you will be my wife. Not any time soon, but will you promise me this?” 

“But Louis, we’re 5 years in age difference” 

“Who cares? I love you and you love me right?” I nod in response. “Promise?” 

I gasp when he shows me the ring, it is absolutely gorgeous. I cry even more. “Louis, I promise” I smile. He slides the ring on my finger, and I look at him. “I love you so much. Thank you Louis”

“Anything for you Mel” He smiles. “I can’t wait for you to be my first and only wife. Melanie Leigh Tomlinson” 

***************************************************************************************************************

Author's Note

This story is NOT over. I still have many plans for it!! If you have any suggestions or ideas, please comment! Don't forget to vote. Thank you all!! 

~Melanie<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 17 9
Ella and Lina are on a trip of a lifetime.
8.2K 16 33
4 bestfriends win tickets to see One Direction in London! They bump into someone special and their lives are turned upside down...
4.4K 105 33
2.3M 17.4K 64
Sophie was living her dream, having the summer of her life in London. When she finally thought she had her whole life figured out she met Niall Horan...