The Psychology Class

By Viraj_Sanap

This is the story of a group of friends who came from different backgrounds with different talents, ambitions... More

Acknowledgements
What Is Life?
What Is Love?
What Is The Opposite Of Love?
What Is The Secret To Happiness?
No Lectures This Week

What Is Better: Bitter Truths Or Sweet Lies?

140 9 19
By Viraj_Sanap

Before the lecture

'Where in the world were you?' asked Parvati worriedly. Parvati Patil was the daughter of a famous lawyer in the USA. She actually was a South Indian who was born in the USA and had grown up there. She was an extremely honest and righteous person. She was an old friend of Samantha. She wore a white t-shirt with pink stripes, a white jacket and blue jeans. She had a beautiful black watch on her wrist.

'I was... um... Just coming to join you,' said Jai to Parvati. He wore a full sleeves grey t-shirt and a navy-blue hoodie. He wore ivory coloured cargoes and white Reebok sneakers. He looked down at his feet as he didn't want anyone to notice that he was lying.

'You're wearing an amazing outfit today,' spoke Jai to Calpurnia. Calpurnia had tried a new outfit today, something she didn't usually wear. It was a blue shirt with white flowers and blue jeans. She wore white sandals.

'Are you being sarcastic? asked Alisa. She, on the other hand, was wearing an orange embroidered dress with black trousers. She had a locket with the symbol of the Eiffel tower in her neck. She also wore white sandals.

'He is never sarcastic,' said Samantha, rolling her eyes. Samantha was in an excellent mood today. She wore a yellow t-shirt with a sleeveless black jacket and blue jeans. She wore brown heels and had a pink bag on her shoulder.

'She really knows me very well,' said Jai with a stupid grin. Paolo, Hamid and Andros walked towards them with a large number of notebooks in their hands.

'Previously, Jai would be the one transporting books and I would usually be the one hanging around. Look how the times have changed today,' said Hamid sadly. Everyone guffawed loudly. Hamid today was looking just fantastic today. He wore a white shirt and a black tie. Over the shirt, he was wearing a black jacket with an amazing grey hood.

'He has just found his life back on track! I think you're getting jealous of him,' Andros said smilingly at Hamid's reaction. Andros wore a simple yet cool black full sleeves t-shirt with white horizontal stripes. He wore black jeans and brown boots.

Paolo laughed at Andros's statement. He said, 'Hamid won't be jealous of Jai. Hamid has his own standards,' and winked at Jai.

'Don't you know that wearing shorts in the campus premises is not allowed?' asked Parvati to Paolo.

Paolo looked at his yellow shorts and a red t-shirt. 'Nobody follows the rules regarding outfits... Especially the girls!' laughed Paolo.

The bell rang indicating their cue to enter the classroom.

In the Psychology Class

'Well... What do you think will be the topic today?' asked Samantha.

'I don't know. Perhaps something more philosophical,' said Parvati.

'It is not actually philosophical though,' said Jai.

'Come on Jai. we have talked about life, love and happiness. Isn't that enough philosophical for you? Where's psychology?' asked Paolo.

Samantha spoke, 'I support Jai in this case. Prof. Albus does sound philosophical but he also does teach that there is in the textbook on Saturday lectures right?'

'You are correct Samantha but don't you think that we should actually devote all the four lecture we get in a week for psychology?' asked Calpurnia.

Prof. Albus entered the class with a different smile today. It seemed as if he was going in the mood of a lot of fun today.

''WHAT IS BETTER: BITTER TRUTHS OR SWEET LIES''

Hamid looked at Jai and smirked. Prof Albus asked quizzically, 'Why did you laugh looking at the topic?'

Alisa said, 'Well there is someone amongst us who's going to support the Sweet Lies.'

'All right. So this is going to be like a debate. Let's see... So what do you think is better?' asked Prof. Albus.

'Obviously, the bitter truths are better. It is something that we have been taught from our childhood,' said Paolo.

'Everyone on the side of truth listens to me. This is what Jesus Christ said after Pontius Pilate had interrogated him prior to the crucifixion,' said Calpurnia.

'Truthfulness is commanded by Allah and is mentioned in over 100 places in the Quran. Allah has given a lot of emphasis and very much importance to tell a truth. This is what Islam says about truth as well,' said Alisa.

Hamid said, 'Yeah. Moreover, Truth is one of the fundamental laws. The universe is depended on truth.'

'Is anybody going to say for Sweet Lies on this debate?' asked Prof. Albus smilingly. Jai raised his hand. All the students laughed loudly.

'Parvati is going to kill me after this lecture but I do believe that in many cases Sweet Lies can be better than Bitter Truths,' said Jai.

Prof. Albus smiled. 'Why do you think so?'

'Well, I think that in many situations bitter truths can be demotivating and discouraging. For example, if a person is weak at academics and you tell that person the bitter truth that you're weak, how can the person even try to improve?'

Samantha and Andros nodded. Samantha began, 'In a situation that Jai just gave, maybe, sweet lies have a more powerful impact and importance than truth.'

Paolo asked, 'Now that we are talking about feeling unmotivated, won't the person to whom we've lied to feel bad after realizing or knowing that he was being lied to?'

'I will answer this question. If the person who is being lied to really understands the liar and cares for him, he'll know the reason behind the lie was his betterment only. And when the person realizes that he was being lied to for his own benefit, then he will not feel bad at all!' said Prof. Albus.

'Yeah. The lie will only be intended towards the progress and benefit of that person,' said Jai.

'So like will you really lie to a person on his face just because it is inspiring and encouraging?' asked Parvati crossed.

'Yes. Because when we lie with a good motive in our mind, then it won't just be a lie. I'll give another example. If a child is fighting cancer and you bitterly say the truth on his face that you are going to die, won't that be a sin? Won't you be destroying the only prospect of his recovery? Where is the goodness here? All the religions are teaching us to speak the truth. But will the truth be actually beneficial for that poor child?' demanded Jai.

'Whoa! This debate is having some really deep points. I'd like to ask something though. I would like all of you to answer me next week. Think about it. As Jai said that won't it be a sin to say the truth on that poor child's face, I want you all to think and tell me next week if it will be a sin or not. Please continue,' said Prof. Albus.

Andros said, 'I've got one more example. If a person is ugly, and we want to speak the truth, right? So, we go and say that person you're ugly, won't that make him feel bad? Prof. Albus has taught us to care for others. We're not caring here, are we?'

'We should judge a person by the beauty of his heart, not his face right Andros? So, this example won't count,' said Parvati.

'I am counting this example,' said Prof Albus. 'Here we are talking about truth. And the truth is that the individual is ugly. So, saying the truth, in this case, will be very rude.'

'So, even if we do agree that sweet lies are important, and that is a big IF, on the scale, the truth will obviously be more important. We just cannot agree that lies are better,' said Hamid.

'Exactly! Suppose we say that sweet lies are important so that we don't hurt somebody, it doesn't mean that we should lie too often!' said Paolo.

'We aren't saying that we should lie. What we are trying to say is that in the situations when somebody might get offended or hurt, falsehood might be more preferable,' said Samantha.

'If we believe what you are saying Sam, then people will be more prone to lie. Because lying is very easy.' said Alisa.

'Moreover, the religions tell the people they should speak the truth to keep them in control because even then, people are lying all over the world!' said Calpurnia.

'We are speaking for Sweet Lies. We are strictly against Bitter lies!' said Samantha.

Andros continued, 'Exactly. We believe that truth should be spoken at all costs, but when it brings pain, it's better to lie sweetly.'

'I have got one last question. If a wife is cheating on her husband, and we know all about it... What should we do in such a situation? Lie sweetly that everything is fine or reply honestly that you are being cheated?' asked Paolo.

'This is a very strong question. I will like to connect another situation to it. If a person's child fails in his examination, the truth will bring pain and sorrow to the father. But here you will say the bitter truth, right? Or will you prefer to lie?' asked Hamid.

Andros and Samantha looked stumped. Nevertheless, Jai answered, 'As I said before, it depends on the situation. In both the situations that Hamid and Paolo have given, the truth is the final answer.'

'So, what is the solution? Which is better?' asked Parvati.

'What do you all think? Which side won the debate today?' asked Prof. Albus. All the students were baffled. None of them was ready to reply.

Finally, Samantha asked, 'Was it a draw?'

'Seems like that.' said Prof. Albus.

'How can it be a stalemate? What should do we do out there in the world when we actually face such a situation?' asked Jai.

'It is a stalemate. And that is exactly what was in my mind since the beginning of the lecture. It has to be a stalemate. It balances out each other. Just like Good and Bad. Truths and Lies balance out each other,' said Prof. Albus.

'Is there any symbol today? For today's topic?' asked Alisa.

'Yes. The symbol that will help you decide the winner of the debate for each situation and in life ahead, is HOPE. Hope is what you need to use in every decision that you make about truths and lies. If your so-called important Truth destroys Hope, then it is of no use. On the other hand, if those sweet little lies give hope and spread happiness, then it's more preferable and better. I would like to go through all the situations once. First one was given by Jai. If a weak student is told the truth, it terminates hope for that student to improve. Here, the sweet lies are better. The next situation we encountered was about the cancer-fighting child. The thing he needs the most at this moment is Hope. And here you have to lie sweetly that kid, everything will be okay. Then comes Andros's situation of a person being ugly. Again here, you have to say it's okay. You are not ugly. And this act will give happiness to that person of no limits and to you as well. You will feel that happiness when you actually spread it. Am I making sense?' asked Prof Albus.

'Yes,' said the students.

Prof. Albus continued, 'Next we talked about the man being cheated and the son failing his exams. In this case, the husband and the father in the former and letter cases have the RIGHT to know about their family. Here we cannot say that sweet lies are preferable. In such cases, the bitterest truth is more important than the sweetest lie. You should not hide stuff from your family and true friends. However, at the end of the day, the decision lies with you. All I can say is that don't steal and destroy anyone's hope. It was a stalemate between bitter truths and sweet lies. Both are equally important. Thank You for tolerating me today! I'll be leaving now.'

'Thank you, sir, it was a wonderful session,' said the students.

After the class

'Well, it was quite a session,' said Alisa.

'He did manage to convince me though. Prof. Albus was right. Maybe sometimes, a sweet lie can bring a smile!' said Parvati.

'I lied today morning. When I kept you guys waiting, I wasn't actually looking for you... I am facing some problem back home. I might have to drop a few subjects like psychology and mythology,' said Jai.

'Oh dear! What happened?' asked Samantha.

'I will tell you everything later. Promise. And yes, you are looking really very good in that outfit Calpurnia!' said Jai and winked at Paolo.

THE END

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

....NOT ACTUALLY. ATTEND THE PSYCHOLOGY CLASS NEXT WEEK AND REMEMBER IT'S A STALEMATE!!

P.S. PLEASE DO LIKE, COMMENT AND SHARE. DO NOT BE A SILENT READER. SORRY TO BE LATE TO PUBLISH THIS TIME WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN...

THANK YOU.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

148K 6.8K 54
Highest Rankings :- #1 on friendship out of 292k #4 on emotions out of 48k #1 on bestfriendsforever out of 513 #1 on bff out of 9k #8 on darkness...
2.7K 256 28
For whose who r head over heals for desi stories๐ŸคŒ๐Ÿปand believe that destiny is the player and we r all dolls of it dancing on its string โ™ฅ๏ธ ๐‘พ๐’‰๐’†๐’...
1.1K 183 27
Hum Tum ~Opposites Attract The story is way too suspenseful and amazing and I am sure you guys will love it.It's a rom-com story๐ŸŽ€ Story of Ashi Khan...
22K 1.1K 21
Ridha Gupta, an innocent and a sweet girl who is facing lot of issues inspite of belonging to a good family. She is broken and all want is love and c...