Invincible // Superman

By Geekasauruz

Silvia Stone was a vigilante with only one goal in mind, to give criminals a swift and painful death. As one... More

Information
Chapter One: The Man Of Steel
Chapter Two: Reaper
Chapter Three: Off The Hook
Chapter Four: Mild-Mannered
Chapter Five: Journalistic Integrity
Chapter Six: Crime Fighting For Dummies
Chapter Seven: On The Record
Chapter Eight: Hot-Headed
Chapter Nine: Sonset I
Chapter Ten: Sonset II
Chapter Eleven: Sonset Epilogue
Chapter Twelve: Two Birds, One Stone
Chapter Thirteen: Black And Blue
Chapter Fourteen: Solar Powered
Chapter Fifteen: Welcome To The Planet
Chapter Sixteen: Frost Bite
Chapter Seventeen: Smoothies And Ice-Cream
Chapter Eighteen: Close Encounters
Chapter Nineteen: Crossfire
Chapter Twenty: Healing
Chapter Twenty-One: Overtime
Chapter Twenty-Two: Earth's Mightiest Mortal
Chapter Twenty-Three: Making Plans
Chapter Twenty-Four: Strike
Chapter Twenty-Five: Meet The Parents
Chapter Twenty-Six: Graveyard
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Mask
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Relapse
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Night Life
Chapter Thirty: Heavy Metal
Chapter Thirty-Two: Solitude
Chapter Thirty-Three: Smallville
Chapter Thirty-Four: Broken Mirror
Chapter Thirty-Five: Unjust
Chapter Thirty-Six: Terminated
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Time Left Forgotten
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Echoes of the past
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Son Of Wayne
Chapter Forty: Godfall
Chapter Forty-One: The Last Stand I
Chapter Forty-Two: The Last Stand II
Chapter Forty-Three: Parallel Lives
Chapter Forty-Four: Diana of Themyscira
Chapter Forty-Five: Odd Flowers for an Odd Girl
Chapter Forty-Six: Under the Same Roof
Chapter Forty-Seven: Titans Together
Chapter Forty-Eight: I Do
Chapter Forty-Nine: Doomsday
Chapter Fifty: The Death of Superman
Chapter Fifty-One: Funeral for a Friend
Chapter Fifty-Two: Memorial
Chapter Fifty-Three: Fallen Son
Chapter Fifty-four: Reign of the Supermen
Chapter Fifty-Five: Superboy
Chapter Fifty-Six: Renegade
Chapter Fifty-Seven: Second Coming
Chapter Fifty-Eight: A World Without Hope
Chapter Fifty-Nine: Foresaken Casket
Chapter Sixty: The Man of Tomorrow
The Invincible Collage
Final note

Chapter Thirty-One: Love Through Strife

8.4K 324 92
By Geekasauruz

The world around her slowly spiralled back into view. The room was white with lights that glared blindingly down at her. Silvia's index finger twitched to life at her side, the sheets beneath it much softer than her own. This was the first sign that she wasn't home.

The second happened just moments later when she rolled groggily to her side. A window came into view, and on the other side was the empty vacuum of space.

Silvia's eyes widened and her lungs contracted beneath her ribs. Fear sat in her gut so heavily that she barely recognised her own scream.

"You're alright. Calm down. You've been unconscious for the last five hours." A low, droning and raspy voice said to her.

Silvia turned away from the window and saw Bruce Wayne, unmasked but clad in his bat suit as he tinkered with some pieces of medical equipement.

"W-We're...in space..."

Bruce ignored her and continued eyeing the console by his side. "Kryptonite adversely affects human physiology at a gradual rate...but it seems that your cells regenerate so quickly that you're clean..." He muttered.

Silvia's lip quivered as she whispered "Where's Clark...?"

"...He's busy." Bruce leant over to Silvia, holding a stethoscope. "Breathe."

Her breathing was so ragged and horrible that Bruce simply sighed in defeat, stood straight and crossed his arms. He then pressed a finger to his ear and spoke "She's awake. You can come in now."

Silvia was still petrified that she was in Earth's orbit. She could barely bring herself to say anything. "Is he alright...?"

"He'll be fine. He's been through worse." Bruce answered, a hint of calm in his cold voice. With that, he quickly strode to the door and left without a word.

Seconds later, a much more tolerable person took his place. "Silvia? How're you doing?" Nightwing eagerly asked, jogging into the room and peeling the black domino mask from his face. "I came as soon as I heard."

"W-We're in space... I-I...wanna go home. Can I see Clark?"

Dick laid a hand onto Silvia's shoulder as he propped himself onto the side of her bed. "Easy there. There's a runaway comet heading towards Earth that NASA phoned in about. You know Clark...he's as stubborn as anything when he knows he can help. He's out there pushing it off course right now."

"But...that...robot guy...he was hurting him..."

"Yeah, Metallo runs on kryptonite...it's like poison to him. He was a little more powerful this time though, apparently he had the DNA of Kryptonians embedded in him." Dick's gaze fell to the jewel around her neck. "Bruce told him to rest, but yeah. Like I said, you know Clark."

Silvia was even more worried now...that Clark was hurt... poisoned...and he still flew out into space like that. It made her feel sick, or maybe that was the knowledge that she was up too high. Either way her stomach churned and threatened to trigger her upchuck reflex.

The blonde turned an ill-coloured pale just as Bruce marched back in and snatched the necklace from her. "H-Hey!" Silvia managed to say through the nausea. "That's mine!"

"Not anymore." Bruce growled. "You can't be trusted with it."

"What do you mean?"

"Lex somehow got a sample of that crystal. It's the reason Metallo knew exactly how to defeat Clark." Dick answered for Bruce who sauntered back out of the room without another word. "We know you didn't give it to him directly but it's safer if we keep it here for the time being."

Guilt sat not on her chest but inside her brain. What she had done she could not un-do. She could make amends in subtle ways, but it could never erase such a dire mistake.

Silvia gulped. She couldn't bring herself to feel the true weight of her regret while she was up so high. "I-I want to go home..."

Nightwing looked at her oddly. He'd never seen anyone look so terrified. "Sure, we can get Wonder Woman to fly you back dow-"

"NO!" Silvia shivered, clutching the covers in her fists and bringing them up to her chin. "I d-don't want to fly..."

Richard was instantly put on edge by her panic. He held his hands out in front of him, gesturing for her to calm down but it didn't seem to be working. "Alright, it's okay." He spoke in a tone that made it obvious that he had no talent in comforting people. "I'll go see what we can do."

Silvia nodded, knees bent up to her chest insecurely. She felt like the ground beneath her was about to shatter, and she'd go spiralling down to earth in a fiery grave. Any logical thought about her dying before that happened didn't register.

Not long after Richard left she could hear him reapproaching the room. Well, him and somebody else. The others footsteps were heavy, like metal being forced to constantly realign itself. The door opened and a glowing red eye was the first thing she saw.

"I was hoping I could avoid you while you're here..." Cyborg groaned in frustration.

Silvia would usually come up with some smart-ass comment but she was too scared to think straight. Her only response was a shrug, her shoulders trembling along with it.

Cyborg's mouth tightened. With most of him being robotic it was hard to tell what he was feeling. "What's the matter with her?"

"She wants to go back down to Earth." Richard answered, sitting on the bed and rubbing the girl's back.

"Good riddance. Why do you need me?"

"I think she's scared of heights. I'm not sure if getting Diana to take her would be a good idea. So, I was wondering-"

"You were wondering if I could teleport her back." Cyborg's tone found an edge to it. "The answer's no. I could make a lot better use of my time than helping some murderer."

Richard sighed. "If you don't get her back then you'll be stuck with her. I'm warning you, she's a handful."

"I won't be anywhere near her. None of this concerns me."

"Oh, but it does." Richard's lips quirked into a smirk. "I may have told Bruce that you volunteered to watch her."

Cyborg's expression visibly fell even beneath the thick metal. "You're bluffing."

"I'm not." Richard pointed towards the earpiece he was still wearing. "Ask him yourself if you don't believe me."

Something sounded from the taller man. It could have been recognised as a growl but when it reached his chest it didn't rumble, it echoed hollowly. "Come on, man... You're evil."

Richard grinned. "Glad that you finally came around."

The half-man sighed and directed his gaze towards Silvia. "Hurry up then. I don't have all day."

The blonde could feel her legs quaking as she threw them over the bed. When they grazed against the floor she felt as if they may give out if she put any significant amount of weight on them. Silvia hesitated.

Cyborg turned impatiently. "Something wrong with your hearing? I said get a move on."

Silvia bit back the remark that threatened to escape and simply gazed over at him defeatedly. Richard awkwardly stepped over to her and wrapped an arm around her waist to help her up.

"Lean on me if you have to." He said.

Though this should have been comforting it was plain irritating to Silvia; not that he wanted to help, but that she couldn't even stand on her own. Fear was getting the best of her and she despised it.

Regardless, she accepted his offer and she was so weak that he might as well have been carrying her down the hall. Cyborg reered into a room on his right and Richard swiftly followed with Silvia.

"Put her on the marker." He said, casually bringing up a monitor in front of himself. It looked like a projection. There was no computer or wiring, only the screen.

Richard stood her over a clean, white 'x'. She managed to stay standing while he grabbed two jackets off the coat hanger in the corner and slipped it over their costumes.

"I'll go with you. Bruce won't be impressed if he spent all this time mending you just for you to run off and get hurt again." Richard chuckled.

"F-F-Fuck B-Bru-Br-...." Silvia tried to stutter out the insult but her teeth were chattering too much. She hissed in defeat and averted her gaze in humiliation.

"Yeah, I know." Richard smiled in semi-amusement. His grip on her waist tightened as bright lights started to appear all around them.

Cyborg's fingers tapped constantly on the screen until his image was replaced with a blur of colours; atoms moving matter. Soon the mark beneath their feet was replaced by another but this one was dim and practically scratched from the concrete.

When Silvia finally found the strength to look up they were in a dark alleyway facing a street crowded by anxious civilians. At first Silvia was more focused on the fact that she was on solid ground again... Well, solid ground that wasn't floating in space.

She gently shook Richard's hand off of her and stepped into the bustling crowd. Her steps were still shaky with the aftermath but at least she could walk on her own now.

"What's happening?" She mumbled, stopping when she got to the very back of the audience.

"They're waiting for Superman." Richard said, halting next to her.

Silvia looked over the crowd again and noticed that their eyes were all fixeated on the empty sky. NASA officials sat at the front, watching something on their laptop monitor. He was right.

"He always was a popular one." Silvia sighed.

"I don't know about that." Richard shrugged. "There are still many that fear and hate him for what he can do. It's just ironic that the minute he can save them they're suddenly begging him to help."

Silvia's brow furrowed. He wasn't wrong. There were protests every day against Superman. The thought saddened her but not as much as knowing he still hadn't returned from his mission. Richard noticed her mood shrink even further and grimaced. "He'll be fine, Sil."

The nickname only upset her more. Clark always called her that... What if she never hears him say it again?

Richard bit his lip. He was terrible at reassuring people. "Did you want to go back to your place and wait? It might be a little less stressful... and besides, I'm curious about what your bedroom looks like."

His teasing tone seemed to grab Silvia's attention and she scoffed. "Too bad you'll never see it."

"Are you sure?" Richard grinned. "Come on, I'm curious."

"Not gonna happen."

"At least tell me about it." Richard shoved his hands into the pockets of his jacket. "I'll even describe mine for you if you do."

"I don't want to know about yours. I could probably guess without you telling me."

"Silvia! How unlike you to beg so insistently. Well, since you're insisting..."

"I'm not insisting!"

"My room is big and dark and empty. There's a secret compartment for my weapons and a calendar with some of the sexiest women of this year in bikini's."

"Gross..."

The people in front of them started shifting uncomfortably as time dragged on. The sun fell and beamed directly into people's eyes; some looked away, others created a shadow with their hands.Richard opted for turning his back to the blinding light. "Your turn."

"I didn't agree to anything." Silvia huffed but the distraction was something that she craved. Every moment of silence only filled her with dread. "But if you must know, it's just a normal room. There's a crappy bed against the wall, posters, and action figures."

Richard lifted a dark eyebrow at her. "That's what you call a 'normal' room? You just have posters of random pop groups on your wall?"

"What? Of course not! My posters are of old action movies... Like The Terminator, Total Recall, Rambo, Alien, Indiana Jones, Rush Hour, Enter the Dragon, Drunken Master, Blade, Speed, The Matri-"

"So, long story short, you've got pictures of old guys when they were young on your wall?"

Silvia paused, unsure of whether this was something she should have been ashamed about. "Uhh... I guess?"

"How did Clark feel about that?"

Silvia's shoulders slumped and her gaze directed back to the empty sky. "He... isn't really into action movies."

"Then what's he into?"

"A lot of family comedies... a few old movies his parents watched, and he has a soft spot for romances." Silvia shivered. "He once made me go see one with him... I fell asleep halfway through it."

"Why does that not surprise me?"

Silvia shrugged but her stare never left the darkening sky. The wind blew through her hair, the cold like a spear in her guts as it increased. There was still no sign of him...

Silvia hung her head, a gasp sounding from the crowd only moments later. Richard shook her shoulder and she upturned her gaze. There was something in among a backdrop of clouds. It looked like a bird at first, the last of the sun's rays engulfing it in shadow. Then as it got closer she saw a very distinct shade of red.

"It's Superman!" Someone screamed and the crowd gave a collective cheer.

A great weight was lifted from Silvia's chest. Her eyes stayed fixed on the figure as it came closer, glazed with tears at the relief she felt. Superman finally touched the earth. He stood a few heads taller than most of the crowd but the way his shoulders were slumping made him look a little shorter than usual. He was visibly exhausted.

Reporters swarmed to him like bees to pollen. They shoved cameras and microphones in front of him and barraged him with questions, only to be barely heard over the civilians. Superman gave his usual charming smile and pushed himself to address the people that had been waiting for him. "I have realigned the asteroid away from Earth. Metropolis, and our world, will be left unscathed."

The employees from NASA gave him a thumbs up. Superman nodded and scanned the crowd. His gaze stopped on Silvia who gave him a weak smile until Richard blocked him from her view.

"Well, now that we know the big guy's alright." He began casually. "I was wondering if you wanted to go to the pub with me."

"Th-The pub?" Silvia asked, trying to discreetly look over his shoulder.

"Yeah. Well, I haven't really asked you out since Bruce's party." Richard ran a hand through his dark hair. "So, this is me asking you out for a second date."

Silvia bit her lip. They were definitely more suited for one another; they had more in common than she had with Clark. In fact, her and Clark were almost complete opposites... but the thought of being without him after the fear she had just felt almost broke her down completely.

In another life maybe her and Richard would have been perfect for each other. They would have spent their time on the back of motorcycle's, fighting crime together, and drinking copious amounts of alcohol while watching the newest action movie... but this wasn't that world.

In this universe Silvia was in love with a dork with a smile as bright as the sun, and morals that she could never live up to. A man with the power to destroy whole planets but the heart to make them better instead. He didn't like action movies because his own life was too full of it, he didn't need to ride a motorcycle because he flew everywhere, Silvia couldn't fight alongside him because his enemies were beyond her power, and he only drank on social occasions.

Their relationship would be a lot more complicated than her and Richard's... but it was worth it.

"Dick, I..."  Silvia gave a shaky inhale. "I think... that maybe you should ask Starfire instead."

She watched as the sparkle in his eyes faded with disappointment. "...Why?"

"I just feel like you two should be together." Silvia tried to smile wide enough for the both of them but his expression made it twice as difficult. "I don't know, it's like you're meant for each other."

Silvia's attempts to spot Clark behind Richard didn't go unnoticed and the man sighed. "Well... if I'm going to lose to anyone, I'm glad it's Superman." This finally grabbed Silvia's attention. She gave him an apologetic look but he shook his head. "If he ever messes up again I'll just have to try harder to steal you away."

Richard stepped aside and gestured toward Superman who was now sifting through the groups of people to get over to them. He knew what they had said, with hearing like his how could he not?

Superman gave Richard a smug smile though it seemed more playful than vicious. Richard still appeared discouraged but acknowledged him all the same. "See you later, Sil." He said before taking his leave.

Silvia waved but couldn't find any words as she stared at the hero in front of her. She knew now, without any doubt, that she had fallen for him long ago. Superman's tired smile brightened and he extended his hand out towards her. "May I give you a lift home?"

There was a hitch in Silvia's lungs. She had just gotten back on her feet and now she had to decide whether to face her fear again or not. She certainly didn't want to but she had to prove that she trusted him. For the first time since Silvia had met the man, she knew that she could overcome the terror heights brought her... because he'd be right beside her.

Her hand shook when it touched his but the action brought Clark visible joy. He gently tugged her closer and picked her up bridal style. Silvia's arms wrapped around his neck and her face buried into his shoulder. The sound of camera flashes could be heard clicking in the distance as they left the ground.

Silvia's eyes were shut tight as the cold wind blew colder and more swift. She felt Clark's neck crane to look at her but her face was still hidden against his broad chest. She was trembling like a leaf in mid Autumn.

Clark chuckled. "We're right up now. Take a look, Sil."

His voice was so soft and reassuring that she actually found herself shifting to take a look. All around them the sky stretched out immense and scattered with birds and clouds. It was a vast expanse that reached to the distant horizon and beyond. It was like a sea, Silvia thought. There were no hills, no grassy plains, no cities nor roads, only an endless stretch of blue.

Silvia turned to look at the man still holding tightly onto her. His eyes were even bluer. They were her sky, not this untouchable airspace that lingered overhead. For once she didn't think to look down. She focused on Clark alone. He was alive, breathing and staring at her with that breathtaking smile.

This didn't mean that she wasn't absolutely terrified, but this time she could face it head on because she finally trusted the man with her. It had only taken his near death experience for her to realise it.

"Clark...about the necklace-"

"There's no need to apologise. I should have told you what it was from the beginning. You couldn't have known that it held that kind of information." He tucked a long strand of blonde hair away from her face and looked at her with the kindest, most forgiving gaze she had ever known, "You kept it safe, physically at least, and anything beyond that falls on me. My trust was well placed."

Silvia could feel her eyes watering and swiftly turned away. Despite his words, this was something Silvia would never forgive herself for...and maybe that was a good thing. Now she would hold Clark's trust like a glass sky - boundless and eternal, but to break it would destroy her world.

———————————————

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.8K 2.1K 36
A new vigilante moves to Gotham City looking for a fresh start. Breaking bones and breaking hearts will Perci Jackson find love once again or be alon...
75.7K 1.9K 20
Nightwing Fanfic "You're a wanted killer who hasn't been captured. Why give yourself up now?" "I think it's time I started fighting the good fight, a...
12.5K 426 16
Mon-el has left Kara over and over again and she doesn't know how much more she can take it. First he left Earth, then he left for the future again...
17.3K 230 16
The Man of Steel of Steel returns to face his greatest challenge out of tough love from a parent figure to a child like him After the invasion of Zo...