Dancing On The Edge Of A Knife

By Devilsmom

When Ester Celeste finally used that coupon for free dance lessons with the famous Sierra Stone, she did not... More

1. Prologue
2. Entrance
3. Disgusting
4. Ride
5. Evil
6. Bottle
7. Restaurant
8. Liquid
9. Dancing
10. Seduction
11. Tango
12. Scary
13. Call
14. Loneliness
15. Realization
16. Roses
17. Text
18. Beach House
19. Tears
20. Apologies
21. Off
22. Start
23. Rocks
24. Confusion
25. Lingerie
26. Change
27. Insight
29. Blocked
30. Argument
31. Friend
32. Advice
33. Water
34. Wine
35. Family
36. Night
37. Reality
38. Okay
39. Talk
40. Blind
41. Date
42. Shock
43. Heartless
44. Second
45. Fine
46. Walls
47. Crowded
48. Terrace
49. Epilogue
50. Epilogue pt.2
Projects

28. Coffee

6.6K 268 28
By Devilsmom

Ester woke up to a cup of water being dumped over her face the next morning. She sat up gasping for air, not really knowing what just happened. But then she felt the wetness and rubbed her eyes.

"What-"
"Finally. You know how hard it is to wake you up?" Olivia's voice sounded close and Ester thought about a surprise attack. But it was too early to even open her eyes fully, so she rubbed them again.

"Olivia, pray tell why in the world you'd wake me up like that!" Ester said, finally looking up at her roommate.
"Well for one, I always wanted to do that. Waking someone up with water." Olivia giggled but then smirked.

"But more importantly, there's a hot guy waiting downstairs and I'm pretty sure he's here for you." Olivia said and Ester's eyes widened.
"What time is it?!" She stood up abruptly.

"Around 6:50." Her roommate said and Ester hissed at herself.
"Oh God! Why didn't you wake me up sooner?" She ran over to the window and saw Devon leaning against his car. He was turned towards the car with his elbows placed on the roof of the car and his head resting on his arms.

"At first, I didn't see him. I mean I don't exactly look out of the window every time I wake up." Olivia said whilst she watched Ester throw on some clothes.
"Care to tell me why you guys are meeting up this early?" Her roommate asked after Ester ran into the kitchen to get a water bottle.

"We're starting to jog every morning." Ester quickly explained before running into her bathroom and quickly brushing her teeth whilst brushing her hair.
"Here, let me do your hair." Olivia helped and Ester sighed before furiously brushing her teeth.

"Calm down, he doesn't look like he's going anywhere." Olivia said.
"I know, but I was supposed to meet him outside at 6:45. I hate tardiness." Ester spit out the toothpaste just as Olivia finished brushing the knots out of her hair.

"Thanks!" Ester yelled after Olivia once she finished her hair with a bun and grabbed the water bottle. They quickly said goodbye and Ester was sprinting downstairs. Then she stopped still inside the building but a few meters away from him.

She didn't even look into the mirror. Where was her phone? Ester realized she must've forgotten it upstairs. Oh heck, they were only going to run! Get out there! With another deep breath, Ester walked outside and took slow steps towards him.

"Sorry, I totally forgot about the running." She quickly said once she reached him. He didn't turn around and she figured he didn't hear her come outside. But even after she talked, he wasn't moving.

"Devon?" She asked, walking closer. No answer.
"I'm sorry, I'm late." She said hesitantly. Still nothing. But when she laid her hands on his upper back and said his name again, he flinched and quickly turned around.

He looked around him, looking disoriented, but then his eyes travelled lower to see Ester standing in front of him. He looked relieved and then rubbed his eyes. Ester lifted an eyebrow.
"Did you just sleep standing?" She asked impressed.

"I-." Devon frowned at himself then, before shaking his head.
"What time is it?" He asked but Ester shrugged.
"I forgot my phone." She told him and Devon nodded before fishing out his own.

"7:20." He told her and Ester's eyes widened.
"I'm sorry. I totally forgot to set the alarm last night." She excused.

"It's fine. I wasn't ready for a jog today anyways. But we could take a ten minute walk around the block if you want? I know you have to actually wake up at 7:30 for work." Devon said. Ester was surprised that he still knew that, but shrugged.

"Sure. After all, you did drive all the way here. I'm sorry again." Ester told him when he came to stand beside her. Devon yawned before shaking his head.
"It's fine, really. Don't worry." He said as they started walking.

"I have some water if you want." Ester showed him the water bottle. Devon nodded as he took it and drank before carrying it for her. Ester didn't complain, she realized he liked to carry stuff for her. They turned right in silence.

"I get it, you're not exactly a morning person either." Ester joked, making Devon chuckle.
"I guess I'm just not used to waking up to an alarm again. I'm sorry if I'm not exactly talkative." He responded.

"I mean, you did fall asleep while standing. I still can't believe that." Ester murmured more to herself than him.
"You won't let that go soon, will you?" Devon let out a breath of amusement. Ester shook her head in answer.

They continued their walk until Devon looked at his phone.
"It's been five minutes, we should turn around now." He said and so they did and started walking back towards her apartment. Again, it was silent. But it was really comfortable for both of them.

"Here we are." Devon sighed once they stood in front of the building again. Ester looked up at him with a small smile.
"I'm sorry again. Tomorrow, I'll be punctual." She promised and Devon's gaze snapped towards her.

"I'll drive you to work today." When Ester opened her mouth to object, he held up a hand.
"So I didn't drive here for just a ten minute walk." He finished, shutting her up.
"If you really want to." Ester gave in.

"I do." Devon said before rounding the car.
"What are you doing?" She asked him when he opened the driver's door. Devon frowned at her.
"I'm waiting in the car."

"Oh, I thought you might appreciate a hot cup of coffee." Ester shrugged and Devon blinked twice before gulping.
"I-" He didn't exactly know what to answer. Did he hear her right?
"Come on, or you'll make me late." With a secret smile, Ester turned around to walk into her apartment complex.

"I've never been in your apartment." Devon stated as he followed her inside. They took the elevator up.
"I know, would be creepy if you have. But it's the least I can do." She said when the elevator started moving.

"Will you stop? I want to drive you. You didn't ask me, I offered it." Devon told her when they stepped out. Ester just shook her head and went to open the door when it swung open.
"Oh." Both of the girls jumped in surprise, whilst Devon frowned slightly.

"You're already back?" Olivia asked her roommate.
"Yeah, I woke up too late. You're still here?" Ester asked when Olivia stepped aside to let them through. Devon was still confused when he stepped in and the blonde stranger closed the door behind them.

"Yeah, I was just heading out. I forgot my phone though." Olivia's gaze shifted towards the handsome man in front of her. It was the very first time she saw him close up and she was not disappointed. Holy cow, she thought.

"Uh, Olivia this is Devon. Devon, this is Olivia. She's my roommate." Ester quickly introduced them. She watched her roommate smile as Devon shook her hand. When Devon turned to look back at Ester, Olivia threw her a look that was probably saying something along the lines of 'holy fudging shit, he is the finest piece of cake, I have seen in a while'.

"Well, I'm heading out now. It was nice to meet you Devon. By the way, it's your turn to buy groceries this month, Ester. We need milk." Olivia reminded her and Ester nodded before watching her roommate leave.

"Well, I hope you drink your coffee black?" Ester asked hopefully. Devon smiled at that and just followed her inside the kitchen.
"I'll take any type of caffeine at this point." He admitted.

Ester laughed lightly as she turned to prepare his coffee. She still had time to do her make up and shower, since she didn't have to wake up anymore. Because the only reason she set her alarm on 7:30 is because waking up takes her almost half an hour. But she saw Devon's tired state and decided to tell him next time. They could meet later if Olivia volunteers to wake her up like this morning every day from now on.

"Here. Sorry we don't have any milk. Do you want sugar?" Ester asked when she handed him the cup of coffee. Devin shook his head at her apology and in answer to her question. Ester nodded.

"Alright. Then I'll quickly jump into the shower and join you later." She smiled at him before leaving him alone.

Devon looked around the room, refraining from walking around the apartment. That would be rude. But the kitchen was connected with the living room, so he took the liberty to walk around the living room.

He noticed that there were a lot of portraits and pictures of her roommate. But he had yet to find one of Ester. If he didn't already know that she lived here, he wouldn't think so just from being in this apartment. He wondered why she never put up a picture like her friend. Was she camera shy?

After a few more minutes of aimlessly walking around the living room, he sat down on the couch again and finished his coffee. He felt more energized than before, but closed his eyes and leaned back against the comfortable couch anyways.

He really shouldn't have stayed up too late last night. But he just couldn't help his mind from wandering off to the possibilities of her finding out about what he did. And her reaction to it...

"I'm guessing the coffee didn't really help?" Devon suddenly heard and his eyes shot open. He didn't even hear her come in. He straightened up on the couch as he gazed at her. She looked so good, even though she was only dressed in casual clothing. Black jeans and a white blouse with flowers.

"Oh, it did. I just wanted to rest my eyes." He said and watched her prepare herself a cup of coffee.
"Would you like another one?" Ester asked politely, but Devon shook his head.
"No, I'm good. Thank you." He said and she nodded.

"Why are there no pictures of you?" He suddenly asked her. Again, his random question surprised Ester. But she turned to walk towards him anyways.
"What do you mean?" Was he looking through the stuff?

"In the living room, I mean. I only see Olivia's face on the walls." He shrugged when she settled down next to him.
"Oh, I don't know to be honest. I just never felt like getting a picture of myself printed and hang it up on the wall." She answered honestly.

"Oh. Yeah, I guess that makes sense." Devon nodded slowly.
"Besides, I don't spend a lot of time in this room anyways. We both don't, now that I think of it. Olivia is mostly in her room studying and I'm out most of the time." Ester took another sip of her coffee after saying that.

"Work and dancing, right? What made you sign up for Sierra's dance class anyways?" He asked her with great interest.
"I had a coupon." Again, her answer met laughter.

"What's so funny? Jake laughed too when I told him. But honestly I did. How would someone like me be able to afford her lessonss anyways?" Ester turned towards him and his laughter died down. Devon ignored her second question upon hearing a guy's name.

"Who is Jake?" He frowned at her. Ester gulped when his eyes bored into hers.
"Just someone from dance." She told him. Devon just nodded and looked away. If Ester didn't continue to look at him, she would've missed the visible tick of his jaw.

"Devon?" Did she say something wrong? Ester almost sighed in relief when he turned back towards her with a small smile.
"I'm fine, just hungry. You wanna grab a bite on the way to work?" He asked as he stood up.

"Sure. Now that you mention it, I'm starving." Ester followed his actions and placed the empty cup into the sink on their way out. She put on her shoes, grabbed her purse and was about to open the front door when she remembered her phone.

"Let me just grab my phone real quick." Ester told Devon before running into her room to get it. When she unlocked the screen, her eyes widened at the amount of texts she got. All from just one number.

Hello? - S.A at 10:46 p.m.

Someone there? - S.A at 10:47 p.m.

Ester? - S.A at 10:50 p.m.

Are you okay? - S.A at 10:53 p.m.

I'm worried. - S.A at 10:59 p.m.

If you're sleepy, just tell me so I can sleep too. - S.A at 11:02 p.m.

Esterrrr. - S.A at 11:10 p.m.

The cat's back. - S.A at 11:13 p.m.

I want to talk to you. - S.A at 11:19 p.m.

Are you asleep yet? - S.A at 11:24 p.m.

Mind texting back if not? - S.A at 11:30 p.m.

Of course you do. - S.A at 11:38 p.m.

I think it's messed up to ignore me at this time of day! - S.A at 11:50 p.m.

Text me back right now! - S.A at 11:50 p.m.

Ester! - S.A at 11:51 p.m.

I'm driving to your house right now. - S.A at 11:58 p.m.

If that last message didn't cause a shiver to run down Ester's spine, then his final one would definitely do the job.

I saw you. You're asleep, excuse my outburst. Text me tomorrow. Nighty night. - S.A at 0:09 a.m

A/N: If that's not the creepiest thing, I don't know what is.

Is her secret admirer slowly turning into a scary stalker? Do you have any experience with stalkers or have friends who do?

Let me know, I'm genuinely curious.

Xoxo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

759K 14.8K 31
Warning ⚠️ I wrote this book when I was 13, you have been warned I walked up to her and pushed her to my chest. "I think you should stop flirting wi...
2M 47.6K 74
'"Can you spread your legs a little farther for me, baby?" he asks me, his voice a low whisper. I nod, doing exactly as I'm told, and he bites down o...
6.3K 235 89
Stephanie Walker, A-straight student, sweet,pretty and every parent's dream. What happens when her simple life clashes with the golden boy at her se...
3.2M 79.5K 59
She looks up at me, taking a step forward and smiling slightly, "How can I ever get hurt when I have you here to protect me?" "But you could have got...