Boston Blues - BLACKBIRD book...

By MonicaPrelooker

+18 - eps 6-11 - A unique city. A unique police team led by a unique woman. And an uptight fed set on a coll... More

Book 1 Recap
episode 6 - #thestake
1. runaway mom
2. busted grandpa
3. missing dad
4. closer than you think
5. late date
6. pretty backup
7. loose end
8. closing in
9. jump the hedge
10. the shot
11. john way complex
12. sore
13. cop dreams
14. realization
15. down the harborwalk
16. bet on the pet
episode 7 - #theblank
1. any given morning
2. nothing fancy
3. gut feeling
4. coincidences
5. chasing a shadow
6. blurt
7. thorn in the side
8. early consult
9. the watch
10. waiting for the shadow
11. surprise
12. musing
13. a different musing
14. passers-by
15. evening news
16. nothing
18. not good
19. the wrong joke
episode 8 - #thequote
1. you've got mail
2. welcome aboard
3. first approach
4. field test
5. vanished
6. nice to meet you
7. takes one
8. toil and trouble
9. word of a fed
10. hold on
11. the aftermath
12. the profile
13. no break
14. promise
15. identified
16. no time
17. come out and play
18. end game
19. bad supper
episode 9 - #therubble
1. and again
2. trapped
3. collapse
4. cold burn
5. not on me
6. armor
7. atalanta
8. top ten
9. four steps
10. landing
11. a way down
12. no, thanks
13. target
14. heartbeat
15. out
16. patient #1
17. patient #2
episode 10 - #thefeather
1. guilty pleasure
2. old pictures
3. bad news
4. new player
5. antagonist
6. old notes
7. mother and son
8. once upon a time
9. nonsense
10. off the record
11. rooftop
12. back to earth
13. it's alright
episode 11 - #thestranger
1. spree
2. extra cinnamon
3. marching on
4. join the party
5. eyes inside
6. the king comes to town
7. contact
8. keyword
9. back for more
10. happy puppy
11. one sad story
12. alone
13. s.o.s.
14. not my father
15. trust
16. another step
17. the speck
18. edge
19. broken
20. the badge

17. used cars

480 48 3
By MonicaPrelooker

Brock braced himself for a low blow as soon as he set foot in Burton's office on Monday morning. He knew that smile on the Section Chief's face. Burton invited him to sit on the couch, not at his desk. Meaning it was going to be a really low blow.

"So, Brock, how's it going for you in the Cradle of Liberty?" the man asked right away. "Not talking about your work—we all know how good it's been—but about yourself, personally. Ready to leave? Feeling like staying?"

Burton's salesman mood set all of Brock's alarms off. "I'm fine, sir, thanks for asking," he replied. "But I did mean to ask you if you already know where I'm going to be assigned next, now that my semester in Massachusetts is over."

"Well, El Paso's still asking us for some backup. And Cooper would like to keep you, of course. The truth is, Brock, I still haven't made up my mind about you."

Brock nodded. El Paso or Boston wasn't a hard choice.

"There's also an opening in Nevada, in case you're interested," commented Burton, showing him the fine upholstery of the used car he was trying to sell.

Oh, Nevada, that could be interesting. In some other life. It was only the whole country away from Andrea and DC.

Burton's salesman instinct told him to sweeten the pot to close the deal before it went cold. "What would you do, if it were up to you?" he asked.

Like you didn't know. You've already crossed it and smashed a red rubberstamp on it, reading NEVER. "I'd rather come back to DC, sir."

Burton was shameless enough to sigh and grimace. "I'm afraid that's not in the picture, Brock, and it won't be for a while. That's the price for being back in the field, you know? We need to show the brass how effective you still are, to secure your status, and we won't achieve that here."

Brock nodded again. So no coming back home yet. But he wouldn't give up so easily. "And what about some part-time duty, sir? Maybe I can be in Massachusetts a couple of weeks, and then here, doing whatever you may need me to."

"I need you out there, solving cases like you and Coleman have been doing. The only thing you can do here is give seminars. Is that what you wanna do? Again? We've fought so hard and so long to get you back in the field only to have you back to the classroom in a few months?"

The cold edge in Burton's voice warned Brock to not insist—it was DC or the field.

"So you wouldn't mind staying in Boston," said Burton, picking up the conversation where it suited him better. "Coleman requested to stay, and Cooper is not about to let'im go. You and Coleman make a good team, and you guys even get the locals to cooperate. I think it'd be a wise choice for you, Brock."

There was an ironic hint in his smile that Brock didn't understand, but he didn't want to ask either.

Burton saw that he didn't get it and moved on. Not like he expected Brock to admit whatever there was between him and that officer Cooper wanted to recruit. Keeping him in Boston would also be a good way to keep that woman around the field office, and give Cooper a chance to snatch her and her team for the Bureau's ranks.

"Tell you what, Brock: stay in Boston for a few more months—let's say three—and then we'll talk about it again, okay?"

This wasn't a choice, but an order, and Brock knew he shouldn't push it. He also knew the meeting was over. So he just nodded, muttering, "Yes, sir," and stood up.

Burton stood up too and stretched out his hand to Brock, flashing that ironic smile again, on the brink of winking.

"Good luck, Brock. Keep up the good work. And keep bonding with the locals."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42K 3.9K 101
+18 - eps 28-32 - On the sixth installment of the Blackbird series, Cassidy sends Gillian and her team with Brock and Russel to Tampa, Florida, to lo...
2.7K 72 72
In the midst of uncovering Damien's mysterious death, that isn't the only thing that gets unraveled. Lies, secrets, and enemies come to light as Mari...
293K 10.1K 51
[Melkin City Series book #2. Make sure to check the first one out before reading this one!] Three years after leaving Melkin, Lacey has been working...
42.7K 4.4K 98
+18 eps. 17-21 - After a hard case that takes the team to DC in order to catch a blackhat and prevent a bombing, all hell breaks loose on their retur...