More Than Ears

By Cheadarchesse

It's easy to have Deaf pride when you live in a town where most people sign. Once out, it's a lot harder. A... More

Moving Day (1)
Neighbours (2)
First Day--ASL Grammar (3)
First Day--English Grammar (3)
Social (4)
Coming Home (5)
Speechless (7)
Unexpected (8)

Weekend (6)

269 12 3
By Cheadarchesse

Sorry for the long wait but I hope it was worth it.  Votes and comments are always appreciated, Kli

Anja rolled over in bed and marveled at how comfortable she was.  Blearily, she opened her eyes to see Kristin precariously close to falling off her bed but solidly asleep. Still only half- awake, she reflected on the week.  School, the learning part of it, hadn't been too much harder than where she had been going before she moved.  With the help of Michelle, the lessons were clear and simple, perhaps even easier than where she had been before.  The hard part was the breaks between classes, such as lunch.  While it was perfectly acceptable to hang out with Kristin, it felt odd to do so.  Undoubtedly, the worst part was being away from her friends for so long.

As she was pondering the week, Bruno burst into the room, swinging the door open hard enough for it bounce back at him from the wall.  Kristin was surprised, so surprised, in fact, that her body contracted, depositing her solidly on the floor.

Bruno only had an instant to laugh before she was on her feet, awake far quicker than Anja would ever be able to.  In the blink of an eye, Kristin was chasing Bruno out of the room.  He ran around the corner and down the stairs, presumably to hide behind his mother.

Stretching, Anja groped about her nightstand to find her phone.  One new message: David.  good morning lovely.  

Quickly, she typed back.  good morning to you.  Miss you.

Phone still in hand, she shuffled out of her room and down the hall.  Bruno was still antagonizing Kristin but Anja ignored them.  Covering a yawn with her hand, she rested her face on her hand. 

Raina gently tapped her on the shoulder.  We're thinking of having a BBQ* this weekend with the neighbors, she said, signing extra slow so Anja, still dreary with sleep, could follow.  Behind her, Kristin resumed chasing her little brother.

Why? Anja retorted, pushing a lock of hair that had escaped her braid behind her ear.

To meet everyone, Raina replied smoothly, as if she had seen the arguement coming.  Bruno has been playing with a few of the boys on the street.  I thought this would be a good way to meet their parents.

Anja crossed her arms and leaned back in the chair, still opposed to the idea.  Why are you telling me?  I know I have no other option.

Raina smiled.  You're smart.  If you want to invite someone from school, you can.

Anja thought for a minute.  Only people from the Deaf school. she answered reluctantly.

If you think of anyone else, just let me know. She said, before giving her daughter a pat on the back and leaving.  Anja flipped her phone over twice then stood up and began to make breakfast.  Even when she came back to the table, there was no response to her message.  She shrugged; David had never been a morning person.

Did you like Yvonne? Kristin asked, plunking down next to her sister with a half frozen waffle in her hand.

Why?

I wanted to ask her over for the BBQ.

Why ask me?

Kristin broke eye contact, looking at the pale brown of her round kitchen table.  If you like her I'd have her come over.  She tapped the table with her fingers in thought.  Or if you asked someone to come over I'd ask her too.

 Anja brought her palm down on the table, causing Kristin's head to snap up.  I don't care.  Finally, the phone shook, shooting light and wiggling along the table.

I fell asleep again. =)

Smiling, Anja shook her head.  Before she could reply, Kristin waved to get her attention.  Who?  Anja didn't answer but she didn't need to.  Kristin got a mischievous look in her eye then bounded across the table to snatch the phone from Anja's hand.  Anja's eyes went wide.  What should I tell him?

Give it to me! Anja demanded, grabbing for her phone.

Kristin laughed evilly, shaking her head in denial.  Should I tell him that you... Kristin stopped signing to think of a suitable insult, still easily avoiding Anja's attempt at regaining her phone.  She began to type frantically.  By the time Anja pryed the device from her sister's fingers, it was too late.

Did you know that my favorite animal is a fish?

You're evil!  Anja seethed, reading the message.  Fish, as it turned out, were something Anja despised.  My sister found my phone she typed as quickly as possible.

Evil?  Kristin looked surprised.  Just a little bit.  She covered her mouth as she yawned.  Whatever, I'm going to go shower. Packing the last bite of waffle into her mouth, she wandered off.

****

Fifteen minutes later, she wandered back downstairs, hair only just beginning to dry.  Today, she was wearing a pink shirt with jean shorts, picked randomly from her drawers.

I'm going to invite people to our BBQWant to come?  Anja already said no and Bruno ran off with the neighbor boy again, Raina asked, pulling her hair, lighter now only because Kristin's was wet, into a ponytail.

Do I need shoes? Kristin asked.

Raina shook her head, wiggling her own bare feet. 

Yeah, I'll go.

Raina only stopped for a moment to tell her husband where she was headed.  They began with the house across the street.  Bruno swore that there was a little girl and boy that lived in the tan house.  You okay? Raina asked, stepping carefully on the asphalt.

Yes,

Did you ask someone over?

I will in a minute.  I didn't want to wake her.

With that, they were standing in the doorway.  Raina leaned over and pressed the oval button afixed to the side of the house. 

It did not take long at all for the door to swing inward.  A woman with cropped brown hair stood, holding a child in one arm and the door in the other.  "Yes?"

"Hello," Raina said, smiling broadly, "we live across the street.  We are inviting our neighbors over for lunch tomorrow, if you would like to come."

"Who are you?" The woman asked, somewhat confused.

"I am Raina, this is my daughter, Kristin.  We live right there, number 221."

"Okay,"

"You may have met my son, Bruno.  He's been playing outside with..." Raina trailed off, searching her mind for the other boy's name.

"Micah," Kristin said.

"Thank you,"

Kristin barely focused on what the neighbor was saying, instead noticing the differences between her mother's voice and the new woman.  While both were high and feminine, the neighbor clipped the end of her words short.

"The little blonde kid?" she asked, trying to hold her daughter in one arm and move her light brown hair with the other. 

"Yes,"

"Yes," the little girl repeated, even matching the way Raina slurred her 's,' a feat that years of speach training had not fixed.

"I'm not sure.  I don't want Rylee picking up your accent.  Where are you from?" the woman asked, darting nervous glances towards the child on her hip.

"I was raised in New York," Raina answered, avoiding a true answer, "I lived in different parts of there for most of my life."

"I've been to New York; it doesn't sound like that," the woman said stiffly.

"I have been told I sound...strange...because I am Deaf," Raina answered.

"Oh," she said, suddenly unable to meet Raina's eyes. 

"Well, if you can, please come over tomorrow," Raina said, smiling.

"I'll try," the other woman mumbled, closing the door.

I don't like her, Kristin said as they walked away.

Why?

She's rude, Kristin answered, swinging her hands down against her thighs for emphasis.

 She's afraid.  Raina said, hunching her shoulders.  It's not the first time someone's asked me a question like that.

At the next door, Kristin knocked and backed away.  This time, a man in a green Hawaiian shirt answered.  "Howdy, what can I do you for?" he asked, readjusting a large pair of glasses. 

"I am hosting a BB--" Raina cut her self off "sorry, a barbeque tomorrow.  I thought it would be a good way to meet everyone.   We are the new neighbors, house 221."

"Nice to meet you.  I'll ask my wife," he said before turning his head and shouting over his shoulder.  "I'm Orville Cauldwell," he said when he turned back.

"Raina, and this is Kristin, my daughter."

"Nice to meet you," Orville and Kristin said at the same time, which only made him smile.

It was not long before a comely woman appeared.  She had long hair that was beginning to turn grey and was still pretty despite being older than Raina.  "Hello, I see you've met my husband.  How can I help you?"

Orville answered for them, rehashing the situation.

"That sounds lovely.  It's been ages since anything exciting happened around here.  The last time someone threw a party like this was when we moved in, huh?"

"That's a yes.  When should we show up?" Orville said, placing an arm around his wife's shoulders.

"It's officially starting at noon but come whenever you want," Raina said.

"We'll be there." the woman said sweetly.

See, that wasn't so bad, Raina said with a smile. 

Most of the neighbor's reactions were closer to the Cauldwell's than the woman with baby Rylee.  Several agreed but a few were not home or had other plans. 

***

The next morning, Kristin woke up to a series of loud thuds.  Across the room, Anja was still sleeping soundly.  Kristin covered her head with her sheet, envying her sister's lack of hearing, but it wasn't any use.  She was awake and there was no fighting it. Reluctantly, she gave up and stumbled down stairs. 

 Bruno was already awake, bounding all over the house on various errands.  Hello! he said when his eyes landed on Kristin, a huge smile on his face. 

 Why are you awake?  It's early.

Bruno rolled his eyes.  Now it's 7:30, that's not early.

Why are Mom and Dad setting up now?

He hunched his shoulders.  I don't know.  Where is the tape?

I'll show you, Kristin answered.  She turned away before covering a yawn.  The tape was exactly where it was supposed to be.  Bruno swore he had already checked there but scampered off with it anyway.  He was halfway out of the room when the lights flashed, signaling a phone call.

Bruno tossed the roll of silver duct tape to Kristin and charged to the video phone.  He quickly answered, waving enthusiastically at the screen.  Kristin couldin't help herself, she peeked over his shoulder. 

It's aunt Robin, he said happily, Tell Mom.

 I will, Kristin promised.  She wandered outside where her mother was attempting to hold down a vinyl tablecloth.  Kristin tossed her the tape just as Bruno had before relaying the message.

Aunt Robin says she will come down later, Bruno said when he trotted out.  She said I should have a rabbit.

Kristin tried her hardest to keep from laughing.  I think Mom will disagree.

Maybe, Bruno said shrugging. 

They helped their parents set up, Robert the most for Raina was occupied with the phone for most of the time.  It was close to 10:00 before they finished moving tables, mostly because every time they finished Robert decided he needed the table in a different location.  In only a few hours the yard had been transformed.  White plastic chairs were scattered about the lawn with a few clustered around a table.  One table would be reserved for food while the other would just be for people.  A large black grill stood in the back corner, ready to be turned on.

When everything was finally where it belonged, Kristin left to get dressed.  It would not be long before the neighbors began to arrive.  Back in her room, Anja was sitting on her bed and gazing at the blank wall across from her.

I watched you work, she said when Kristin entered.  It looks nice.  

Kristin rolled her eyes.  Yeah, Dad made us change it a bunch of times.  For a moment she paused, deciding if it was best to pry.

Ask me, Anja said suddenly, standing up.  She began to rummage through her clothes for a second before turning back expectantly. 

Fine, Kristin conceded.  Even with the permission, she took a deep breath.  I was curious.  Are you nervous now?

No.  Maybe there will be a cute boy that signs, she answered with a smile.

Cute boys?  Should I tell David?  He might want to know, Kristin taunted.

Pshaw, no.  It can be our secret.  I'm only looking. 

Kristin reached into her jewlery box and brought out an orange and black butterfly suspended on a golden chain.  She presented it to her sister.  Here, for luck.

Anja clasped it around her neck.  Perfect.

By the time they made it back downstairs, Orville had already arrived.  His wife carried a large bowl, almost overflowing with fruit.  Anja carried a notebook and two pens, different colors, of course.  She promptly sat down on the end of the empty table.  The other was full of snacks--chips, cookies, salsa--and plates. 

Mrs. Cauldwell sat across from Anja and began to speak.  She looked slightly confused when Anja looked away, focusing on her notebook. 

I'm sorry, I can't read lips, Anja wrote carefully.  She balanced her pen on the end of her fingers after she handed the book to the woman.

She smiled and wrote her reply.  You must be Raina's daughter.  I'm Miriam.

From the other side of the yard, Kristin watched her sister interact, passing the notebook back and forth.  Even though Anja was older, Kristin felt more like they were the same age, or even that Anja was younger.  She didn't have long to consider this thought before the first wave of people knocked on the door.  Kristin answered but Bruno tagged along behind her.

Barbara from next door stood there, smiling uneasily.  "You are the hearing one, right?" she asked.

"Yeah," Kristin answered, "Everyone is out back, go on through." Bruno waved to Micha and the boys took off. 

"Hold the door," someone else shouted.  She huffed her way up to the door.  "I wanted to let you guys know that my husband is coming soon.  He's got a big bottle of lemonaide that he made himself."

"Tell him to just go in through the gate," Kristin said.

"The gate, got it," she repeated before turning away. 

"How are you?" Barbara asked.

"I'm doing alright.  Have you met the Cauldwell's?  They are here too," Kristin answered.  She did not really want to speak about her feelings because they reminded her about her sister and that made her nervous. 

"I'm not sure."

"They're quite nice," Kristin said, leading her to the back door.  Her parents had drug out a large umbrella and proped it outside next to where Anja was sitting. 

"It's strange that Micha and your brother can get along so well without understanding each other," Barbara said.

"He has that effect on people."

"It's almost all Micha has been talking about.  His new friend."

"Kids are funny like that.  They don't care if you are strange or can't hear or can't speak or anything like that.  They just want to play.  Anja used to be friends with a little boy who was blind.  They quit when he moved away."

In the space of ten or fifteen minutes, everyone that had promised their attendence was present.  This included close to eight children under the age of twelve, Bruno lost among them.  Even baby Rylee showed up, laughing with delight when Anja tickeled her toes with a peice of grass.   Her mother looked uncomfortable but told them she had to come.

Only once was there an incident of any sort. Bruno came storming away from the group.  He tugged on Raina's hand.

Yes? she asked carefully, taking in his scowl.

They won't let me play.

Who?

Bruno crossed his arms for a moment and looked away.  I don't know his name.  He has brown hair really short and is the same height as me.  He won't give me the ball and now no one else will. 

Okay, let's go.  I'll talk to him, Raina assured him.

For a moment, Bruno just stared upwards with big blue eys but then he nodded.  Okay, yes.

Taking his hand, she lead him over to where the group of mostly boys were standing, staring at the boys and kicking dirt.  She knelt and turned her eye to the one that fit Bruno's description.  "I saw how you were playing.  You need to share," she said.  Her voice was both soft and firm.

"No I don't.  He can't hear the rules so he can't play," the boy insisted.  His body disagreed with him, he could barely look at Raina for more than a few seconds.

"It is wrong to do that.  It's his yard.  How would you like it if we came to your house and took your things away?"

"Not much"

"Okay, then don't come to his house and take his things.  If you can't behave you won't be allowed over again.  Do you understand?"

"Yes," he mumbled.

"See, I told you," another boy piped up.

Raina turned her back to the group.  Okay, go play.  If it happens again, tell me.

Bruno nodded eagerly.  A girl with black pig tails tossed a ball across the group and they scattered, instantly back into whatever strange game they had been playing earlier.

*Before you all start yelling at be because people don't talk in acronyms or abbreviations, let me say one thing: they sign like that.  If I was signing, I would definitely say BBQ instead of barbecue.  Not all words do this but BBQ/barbecue is one of them.  I am only trying to keep things as closely related as possible without being confusing.

I would also like to announce that this is going on hold for a little bit.  I need lots of time to figure out what I want to do with this and how I"m going to do it.  I feel bad about putting this on hold but I feel worse about leading my readers, all four of you, that this will be updated soon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

235K 7.9K 32
When (Y/N) got in an accident during a mission alongside the Avengers, she thought that she would never be able to hear anyone ever again. She went t...
2.6K 563 54
Veronica "Ronnie" Chandler is deaf and because of her disability she has been sheltered her entire life. What happens when Lorenzo White moves in nex...
435K 19.2K 41
After moving to a small town for a semester and a half, Camilla Adams is relived about how great the new place and school seem to be, and how nice so...
2.8K 68 50
Moving on is hard but when you have the right people around you, the process can be that much easier. (WILL EDIT LATER)