The Nerd

By danielleward136

Hayden Smith is just a girl who wants good grades and keeps herself to herself whilst all the rest of the sch... More

Long Awaited Update
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12 (Part 1)
Chapter 12 (Part 2)
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 25

52.1K 883 64
By danielleward136

Hi Guys...

Hope you enjoy :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was Monday and I was sat in Jake’s classroom waiting for him and Scott to come back from the canteen with the food. Jake had given me a book to flick through which could possibly help me for the maths challenge final. At the moment I was looking at logarithms which are only A-Level but I thought I could get a bit of a head start for next year. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket which made me take it out and look at who it was from.

Hey beautiful... r u doin anything 2nigh? Adam x

I was a little shocked I didn’t really expect Adam to text me or anything. I know he took my number but it didn’t mean that he would have ever used it.

Hi... Sorry I can’t my mum’s taking me out to dinner Hayden x

I couldn’t wait for tonight... my mum was going to be finally home and supposedly we were going out for a meal. At that exact moment I got a text through from my mum.

Hey sweetie... I know I said that we would go out but Emily’s suggested that we go to hers and have dinner there... what do you think? Mum x

I smiled... I loved going to the Peterson’s house they always made you feel welcome and part of the family.

Of course... I’d be happy to go to the Peterson’s house tonight Hayden x

As I sent that I saw that I had an unopened message.

Oh ok don’t worry about it beautiful we’ll go out another day Adam x

“Who are you texting miss?” I looked up to see Scott and Jake walk through the door.

“No one” I said whilst putting my phone in my pocket.

“Hey you know you’re not allowed phones in school” Scott said whilst reaching his hand out towards me. I pushed my bottom lip out to him.

“That isn’t fair”

“Then who are you texting?” Scott asked whilst sitting opposite me.

“Fine... Adam” I said whilst taking my sandwich off of Jake as he had just bought my lunch along with his.

“Who’s Adam?” Jake asked quietly.

“The guy who Blake raced against the other night” I pulled the baguette out of the plastic wrapper that it was in and started to take a bite from it. Mmm... it had just been freshly made in the canteen... a hot spicy chicken baguette with salad. I could see out of the corner of my eye Scott look at Jake and then take a chip out of the tray he had in his hand.

“Hayden... you should be careful with a racer... they bring trouble” Scott said.

“That’s a bit hypocritical” I said after swallowing my sandwich.

“I know but you’re like my sister I’m looking out for you” Scott said. I shrugged at him.

“Anyway... where’s Becki today?” Jake asked.

“She’s ill... she’s convinced her mum is trying to poison her” I said whilst laughing. The guys already knew the situation that Becki was in and understood her situation with her parents.

“Did you remember to leave that slip out for your mum?” Jake asked. I nodded at him as I finished my sandwich. I looked at the time and saw that I had 5 minutes left before the bell rang. I stood up and took mine and the guys rubbish to the bin.

“Do you fancy coming round tonight... my mum’s making a meal for Hayden’s result on the maths challenge” Jake said turning to Scott.

“Ye are the rest of the guy’s going?”

“I’m gonna text them in a bit and ask”

“Alright I shall see you tonight then guys” Scott said before walking out of the room.

“See ya” I said as I bent down to pick up my bag from the side of the desk. Jake waved at him. “Could I borrow this book?” I asked him.

“Ye of course” He said whilst moving some papers around on his desk. I walked up to his desk. “Hey...” He looked outside the door to see some students already walking into the classroom. I leaned a little bit further forward so then I could hear what he wanted to whisper. “Do you need a ride home seeing as Becki isn’t in?” I nodded. “OK... how about when your lesson’s finished just come here and I’ll take you home.”

“Ok... see you after” I said and started to walk out of the door.

“Thanks for the ride Jake” I said whilst unclipping my seatbelt.

“Don’t worry about it... so I’ll see you in a bit”

“Ye” I said before climbing out of the car. I grabbed hold of my bag off of the car floor and walked towards the front door. I tried the handle and realised that the house was already open only meaning one thing.

“MUM” I shouted as I walked through the front door. I saw my mum appear in the doorway of the kitchen which made me run towards her. I wrapped my arms around her tight. “I’ve missed you so much”

“I’ve missed you too sweetie.” I pulled away and looked at her. “I’ve got you a present”

“Mum... you didn’t have to” I said as she walked over to her bags. She pulled out an Abercrombie and Fitch jumper. I felt my cheeks start to hurt as my smile was so wide. “Thanks mum” I said as I took it from her hands.

“I thought you would like it... try it on” She said, eagerly. I took my bag from around my shoulder and placed it on top of the kitchen table. I pulled the jumper over me and it fitted perfect.

“Thanks mum” I said whilst hugging her.

“It’s ok sweetie anything for you” She said whilst mirroring my smile.

“I thought you would be later”

“Well I thought I would surprise you and catch the earlier flight. Anyway are you ready for the dinner tonight?” She asked. I nodded whilst she walked over to the fridge and pulled a bottle of lemonade out. She poured two glasses, one for me and one for her.

“Ye I can’t wait I haven’t seen Emily and Alex in a while” I said whilst taking the lemonade out of her hand. I sat down on one side of the island whilst my mum sat opposite.

“You haven’t seen her?” I shook my head and took a sip out of my glass.

“No”

“But I thought you said that you’d seen Jake over the past couple of weeks including the weekends.”

“I have” I was trying to be a bit vague so then my mum wouldn’t start questioning me about seeing Jake so much over the weeks that she’s been away.

“How?” Obviously she wasn’t falling for my vague answers.

“Well... I see him at school and at the weekends I’ve been going to Holly’s garage with him and seeing the guys.”

“Really... well that’s good of him” She said whilst taking a sip from her glass. I could hear a slight hint of something within her voice but I wasn’t quite sure what it was. I looked at my watch which read 5:20.

“Mum what time is Emily serving the dinner”

“6:00... why?”

“Because I think I’m going to go and start getting ready now.” I said whilst taking my empty glass to the sink and start to walk towards the stairs whilst grabbing my bag from the table as I walked past. I walked upstairs and into my room. I threw my bag on to my bed and walked straight to my wardrobe to grab a pair of jeans and a checked top. I walked into the bathroom and thought I would take a while in the shower and relax a little bit. I climbed in and showered for at least 20 minutes before I decided that I should get out.

I walked out of the bathroom fully dressed and started to walk towards my phone and saw that I had 1 missed call. I looked at my history and saw that it was from Blake. I clicked on his name and put him on speaker whilst I pulled all my homework out and laid it on the bed so then I could see what I needed to do.

“Hayden?”

“Hey Blake... what’s up?”

I heard him sigh on the other end. “I’m having a crisis”

“O...k... why?”

“Well this dinner is it formal as in shirt and tie or what?” I started to chuckle quietly to myself. Sometimes Blake had his cute little moments.

“Blake don’t worry wear whatever you want... you could turn up in your grease stained jeans and I don’t think anybody would care” I said whilst opening the maths book that I borrowed off of Jake and started to carry on reading the laws of logarithms.

“Ok... you are a life saver Hayden... see you in a minute”

“See you in a bit” I said whilst pressing the end button. I carried on reading the last of the laws until I remembered that my mum wanted to be at the Peterson’s by 5:50 so then she could talk to Emily. I grabbed my phone and shoved it into my pocket. I grabbed hold of my new jumper, which I had put on the bed before getting a shower, and pulled it on over my head. I started to walk downstairs towards the kitchen where my mum was sat.

“I’m all ready” I said as I walked into the kitchen. My mum stood up and took the car keys off the side and we started walking towards the front door. I carried on walking to the car whilst my mum locked up and climbed into the passenger side.

“Cally” Emily said as she opened the front door and threw her arms around my mum. She pulled away and was smiling like a little kid on Christmas day.

“Emily” my mum said whilst Emily moved to the side so then me and my mum could walk in.

“Hi Hayden” Emily said whilst grabbing hold of me and wrapping her arms around me. “How are you sweetie?” She asked as she pulled away. I smiled at her.

“I’m fine and thanks for the sandwiches that you gave to Jake they were delicious”

“Oh I’m glad you liked them... I thought I might send you some”

“Thank you” I said. She turned around and closed the door and led us into the living room.

“Cally... how was Massachusetts?” Alex asked my mum as we walked into the living room. I saw Brooke sat on the floor in front of the TV playing with her dolls whilst Alex was sat on the couch. I wonder where Jake was.

“It was really nice out there... the people where amazing and the weather was better than over here”

“Ye but I think the weather anywhere is better than the weather in Haywood.” I laughed at Alex’s joke.

“JAKE... HAYDEN AND CALLY ARE HERE” Emily shouted whilst leaning against the banister of the stairs. She turned around and started to walk towards the kitchen which my mum soon followed. I turned around and walked over to the chair to watch a bit of the TV.

“How are you Hayden...? I haven’t seen you in a while?” Alex asked me.

“It’s all good... Did Jake tell you about our scores in the maths challenge?”

“He told me that you guys had gotten through to the finals but that’s it... what did you get?”

“Urm... full marks on the paper”

“Wow... Well done Hayden... I know Jake said you’re bright but that’s on a whole different level... I remember when I did maths I didn’t really pay attention unless it was working out the velocity of a vehicle or the speed but I guess that’s more physics” I nodded my head at him and turned to my right to see some type of Greek model walk in. Jake was stood their wearing his jeans which was just slightly hanging off of his hips with a black t-shirt that clung to his body and emphasised his muscles.

“Hey Hayden” Jake said whilst walking over to the couch and sitting down at the side of Alex.

“Hi” I said whilst slowly turning around to look at the TV... what is wrong with me? I can’t focus at all due to that stupid t-shirt he is wearing.

After watching whatever Alex and Jake were watching for a while on the TV we heard the doorbell ring. Jake stood up and walked out of the living room and towards the front door.

“Jake... my man” I heard someone say when Jake opened the door.

“Hey Blake” Jake said. I turned to the right to see J and Blake walk into the living room.

“I see you went for the jeans option” I said as Blake walked in. He started to laugh as I stood up and walked over to him to hug him. He pulled me into his arms for a couple of seconds before pulling away. I saw Holly walk in with Scott and then Jake following.

“Hey guys... how are you?” Alex asked as the guys started to move towards the couch to sit down and join him.

“Good... how are you Alex?” J asked him

“Oh you know... keep plodding along” Alex said.

Brooke stood up and walked over to the guys sat on the couch and hugged each one of them individually. She then walked over to Scott, who was still stood up with Jake as their wasn’t enough room for him, to hug him. After that she stood at the end of the couch close to Alex and looked at him curiously “Dad... I don’t understand you’re not a horse... how can you plod?” Jake put his head down to try and hide his laughter whilst the other guy’s faces went red from holding in the laughter.

“No sweetie... it’s just a figure of speech” Alex said, trying to explain to his daughter that he wasn’t a horse. The guys managed to calm down whilst Brooke shrugged and turned around to sit back on the floor and started to play with her dolls again. I stood up and walked towards the kitchen to see what my mum and Emily was doing in the kitchen whilst I left the guys talking about new car parts that Alex might be getting into the garage. I stopped near the doorway when I heard voices.

“So... Hayden was ok... whilst I was gone?” I heard my mum ask.

“Cally stop worrying she was fine... Jake took good care of her” I can’t believe my mum was talking about me without me there.

“Really?” She sounded really worried.

“Ye... don’t say anything but that boy cares about her and he’s been looking after her whilst you’ve been away. I did invite her over a couple of times but she said she needed to do some homework or revision” Emily said. I quietly sighed to myself and walked straight into the kitchen.

“Hey... do you need anything?” I asked them.

“Urm... could you get me some lemonade from the garage fridge please?” Emily asked me. I nodded and walked towards the door that led to the garage and walked through it. I walked down the steps and noticed the guys cars all parked in the garage... How on earth have they managed to fit all of their cars in here? I noticed that there was a new car parked up behind Scott’s Honda which was a Golf cabriolet. I slowly walked over to it to get a closer look.

“So this is where you disappeared to?” I turned to see Holly stood at the top of the steps.

“Urm... ye” I said and slowly stepped away from the car. “Is this yours?” I quietly asked her whilst pointing at the Golf.

“Ye” she said whilst shrugging and walking towards the fridge. I took a deep breath and tried to gain a bit of confidence to ask Holly why she didn’t like me. Come on Hayden if you can stand up to Amber Samuels I’m sure you could talk to Holly.

“Holly... why do you hate me?” I asked her quietly. She stopped looking through the fridge and slowly turned around. She looked at me for a couple of seconds before laughing.

“I don’t hate you I just don’t like you” She said after she stopped laughing.

“Why?” I quietly asked.

“Because you have all the guys wrapped around you little finger especially Jake”

“No I don’t”

“Yes you do and you don’t even realise it”

“So you’re... jealous?”

“No...” She laughed “I’m just not a fan of welcoming new people to the ‘group’” She said whilst air quoting the group part. I felt my eyebrows pull together as she was confusing me even more. She sighed as she could tell that I wasn’t understanding her at all. “I don’t trust people very easily and I don’t like the fact that Jake’s known you for 2 months and he’s infatuated with you”

“Jake’s not... we’re just really good friends”

“Oh ye and I bet if he could be with you and risk his whole career he would” I shook my head.

“No he wouldn’t... he’s worked too hard.”

“Exactly but yet you come along and he doesn’t care about all the work he’s done... it doesn’t bother him” I sighed and shook my head.

“No he wouldn’t... could we just start over?” I asked her whilst holding my hand out towards her and trying to change the subject before she got my hopes up. She looked at my hand as if she would catch something if she touched my hand after a while she reached her hand out and shook mine.

“Hayden Smith” I said smiling at her. She slightly smiled back at me.

“Holly Jones” She said. She let go off my hand and then I started to walk towards the fridge in the corner with Holly behind me. I grabbed a bottle of lemonade from the fridge and gave it to Holly whilst I took a bottle. I closed the fridge and turned around to start walking towards the steps with Holly.

“How come you live on top of the garage?” I asked as I opened the door for us so then we could walk into the kitchen. She shrugged at me whilst putting the bottle of lemonade on the side of the kitchen.

“I’ve just always wanted to own my own garage” She said. I put my bottle of lemonade at the side of Holly’s.

“Hey dinner’s ready now” Emily said to us whilst turning around and walking out of the kitchen carrying a bowl of salad. Me and Holly walked out of the kitchen and towards the dining room. As we walked in I could see an empty seat near the end of the table with Jake sat next to it and an empty seat opposite Jake. Holly walked towards the seat that was opposite leaving me to sit at the side of Jake. I sat down and smelled the amazing lasagne that Emily had made from scratch. I grabbed a piece of garlic bread from the middle and started to dip it into the sauce of the lasagne and scoop up some of the meat on to it.

“So Alex how’s the garage coming along now?” Scott asked. I turned to my right to take the salad bowl out of Jake’s hand and put a couple of spoonfuls of salad onto my plate before handing it to Alex who was sat at the head of the table.

“It’s ok I can start decorating inside now so when you guys are free you can help me if you want” Alex said. All the guys started to nod before Alex looked at me. “Hayden?”

“Ye... I’ll help” I said before putting a forkful of salad and lasagne into my mouth.

“I’ll pay you for whenever you can help me”

“No Alex... you don’t have to pay me I offered my help.”

“Ok but I would have to pay you if you officially had a job there wouldn’t I?” He said smiling at me.

 “Seriously?” I felt my cheeks starting to hurt as I was beaming at Alex.

“Of course... at the weekends... if you want?”

“Yes... anything... thank you Alex” I said.

He laughed before carrying on eating his tea. I carried on eating my lasagne for a while until everyone had finished. Before any of us moved Emily raised her glass which made us all stop.

“I would like to congratulate Cally on getting the investment that we needed desperately for the company” Emily said. All the guys raised their glasses including mine which we then met all of our glasses together.

“So we got the investment?” My mum asked in shock as she finished her drink like the rest of us. Emily nodded.

“Of course we did... thanks to your brilliant promoting skills.” Emily said whilst filling her glass again with the wine that was on the table.

“Also, we should congratulate Hayden on her result for the maths challenge and now they’re going to London for the final” Emily said whilst holding her second glass up in the air, smiling at me. Everyone turned to look at me which made me blush and look down towards my lap. I heard Jake quietly laugh at the side of me. Everyone put their glasses together again. 

After a couple more minutes we all helped Emily carry the dishes into the kitchen and then moved into the living room. After my mum started to get to know the guys a little bit more I slowly drifted back into the kitchen to get a drink of lemonade and possibly to get some fresh air from outside as I was feeling a bit sick.

“Hey... is everything ok?” I turned around to see Jake leaning against the kitchen doorway with his hands in his jean pockets.

“Fine... just feel a bit sick” I said before taking a sip of the lemonade I had just poured.

“Really...” He started to slowly walk towards me. “Do you want to go for a walk outside then and get some fresh air?” I nodded and put the now empty glass on the side of the sink before walking toward the back door where Jake was stood. He opened the door and let me walk out before closing the door behind him. I felt him grab hold of my hand and gently pull me towards the garden. We started to walk in silence for a while until we reached the bottom of the garden.

“Do you think you will be able to help me hunt for some apartments?” Jake asked whilst I was looking up at the stars. I turned to look at him and saw that he was looking at me.

“Of course... have you seen any yet?” I asked as he gently swung our hands a little bit.

“No... but I roughly have an idea of what kind of apartment I want”

“Oh ye and what’s that?”

“Well... I was thinking one on the border of Haywood like Scott’s house... so it’s not so far from the school but it’s not so far from the garage either... it might help if it had more than a bedroom but it’s not a necessity.”

“How much do you want to spend on it?”

“Anything... with all my racing money and my salary that I’ve saved I could probably have my own mansion built”

“Well if you could why not get your own house built then?”

“Because I’d be lonely and I think having an apartment would be better at the moment”

“Ok then... what about colour schemes for your apartment?”

“Seriously... you’re asking me about that?” I started to laugh at his reaction for a while. “I’ll leave you to pick out the colour schemes as I haven’t got a clue” I laughed even more at him. When I managed to calm down we carried on talking about the different style of apartments that was available and whether he would want a balcony or not. He told me how he was going to tell Emily because she would be really upset as her little boy was moving out. I know what you’re thinking... ‘Jake went to uni so he moved out then’ but think about it... he’s actually buying his own house. We decided that he could come round to my house when he drops me off on Sunday night after we’ve been to London and we’ll look at some apartments that are up for sell or for renting. After a while of talking about apartments and looking at the stars we decided that we should go back in as I was starting to feel a little bit cold. As we walked back towards the house Jake wrapped his arm around my shoulders to try and warm me up a little. I felt my cheeks slowly becoming a little bit warm from the proximity of our bodies. Obviously he was doing it because I was his friend and he wanted to make sure I didn’t freeze to death but I was going to imprint this memory into my mind because having Jake’s arm around me felt comforting and I highly doubt that it will ever happen again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoyed :)

Please please please Vote,

Fan,

Comment,

Add to your library and

Suggest it to friends please

:) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

252K 8.4K 33
My back was pressed against the wall, and our faces were merely inches away. He gently placed a finger below my chin and tilted my face upward. I tri...
2.7M 59.9K 81
Diana is an 18 year old girl about to start her senior year until she bumps into a woman at the bookstore who has quite the personality. The woman ta...
3M 126K 59
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally ❣️ Cover credit...
2.5M 142K 43
"Stop trying to act like my fiancée because I don't give a damn about you!" His words echoed through the room breaking my remaining hopes - Alizeh (...