Love Thy Enemy (Finished)

By Bella1951

Hermione is back as Head Girl for her 7th year, but she is back without Ron. So when she is forced to room wi... More

Love Thy Enemy
A New Start
Haunting Past
A Change in the Game
Consequences
Breaking Point
Touched
Complications
Holding the Stars
Coming Clean
Heat Rises
Schemes and Things
The Greatest Gift
Watery Wonders
A Dangerous Drink
Love and Hate
Finding a Cure
Holiday Plans
An Old Man's Advice
Forever and Always
Time and Space
Let the Games Begin
Manhunt
Healing Sleep
The End for Now
Just a quick note

Meet the Parents

54.4K 957 613
By Bella1951

I wake up alone in the bed. That's weird. I know Draco was here when I fell asleep. Yawning, I roll out of bed to my feet. The floor is cool against my bare feet, but the rest of the house is already warming up. I look in the bathroom and the other rooms. All empty. I head down to the living room and hear some rustling in the kitchen. I pad through the living room into the kitchen where Draco is sitting at the table with a bowl of cereal and reading the Daily Prophet. He is still in his pajama pants and his hair is standing up on top of his head. He looks like a little kid trying to be like his daddy. He spins in his chair when I let out a small laugh.

"I didn't know you were up," he says smiling, his eyes shining.

"I just woke up. I'm not used to being in bed alone," I tell him, putting my hands on my hips and glaring at him.

"Oh shoot, I forgot. I'm sorry," he says instantly contrite. I can't hold the stern look, I break down laughing.

"I'm just kidding," I say, taking the seat next to him.

"Want some cereal?" he asks, handing me the box.

"Thanks." I grab a bowl and spoon and pour some breakfast. 

We eat breakfast in silence. He reads the paper and I grab a section and join him. There is nothing too gripping in the Prophet, so when my breakfast is done, I clean the bowl and kiss Draco on the cheek.

"I'm going to go up and have a shower. Its going to be an interesting day," I tell him.

"Alright, if you need someone to wash your back, I'm just a holler away," he says with a wink.

"I think I'll manage, but thanks," I laugh and head up to the bathroom.

Two hours later we are both showered and dressed. We apperate together and appear outside Gringotts in Diagon Alley. We walk hand in hand over to the Leaky Cauldron. When we walk in, Draco looks around and then smiles as his eyes fall on a table nestled in the corner. I look over and see his tall, pale mother folded into a chair sipping on a cup of tea.

"Are you ready for this?" he asks squeezing my hand lightly.

"As ready as I will be," I shrug but my heart is pounding and my palms are starting to sweat. Draco leans in and plants a quick kiss on my forehead and then pulls me toward the table.

"Morning mother," he says when we reach her table. She turns and stands. Surprising me, she pulls Draco into a hug and then, after only a small hesitation, she grabs my hand between both of hers and leans in to kiss first one cheek then the other.

"I'm so glad you came," she says releasing me and reclaiming her seat.

"I'm glad you came as well. I wasn't sure you would," says Draco sitting across from his mother. I take the seat next to him, feeling nervous and out of place.

"I told you I would. I have made up my mind Draco and I won't change it," she says firmly.

"And father? Is he still refusing to accept this?" he asks, his teeth clenched.

"Your father will come around. Just give him time," says his mother, her face, so similar to Draco's, tightening.

"I won't hold my breath. But let's not worry about that now. Mum, this is Hermione Granger. Hermione, this is my mother Narcissa," introduces Draco as if we have never met before.

"Its truely nice to see you again Hermione," says Mrs Malfoy kindly.

"You too Mrs Malfoy," I respond remembering my manners.

"Please, just call me Narcissa. After all, it looks like we are going to be family soon," she says nodding toward the ring glinting on my finger.

"Yes, I suppose we are," I say starting to relax when she is still smiling.

"I was going to tell you if you wouldn't get ahead of us mother," says Draco rolling his eyes.

"So when are you planning on having the ceremony?" asks Narcissa.

"We haven't really discussed it yet. Its still kind of sinking in," I tell her. Draco weaves his fingers through mine under the table and squeezes my hand.

"Well are you thinking summer or winter wedding?" she asks.

"Maybe summer?" I shrug looking at Draco.

"Summer sounds perfect to me," he says. I can practically feel the happiness coming off of him in waves. 

"Well how about a July wedding? I would love to plan a July wedding. We can have it on the grounds behind the house. We can tent it on both sides for shade and then have a huge golden carpet laid out for the isle. And flowers! We will cover the place in fresh blooming flowers. What do you want your colors to be?" she asks getting excited.

"Umm," I say, at a loss.

"Gold and silver," says Draco, staring at the ring glistening on his finger and then over at the one on mine.

"I see, silver for Slytherin and gold for Gryffindor. It is perfect. And a color that isn't metallic for contrast?" she asks.

"Dark blue," he chimes in quickly with a sly smile.

"Why dark blue?" I ask surprised at his choice. I figured he would pick green for sure.

"The first time you admitted you loved me, you were wearing a dark blue shirt and every time you say it, I think of that day and that shirt. Its my favorite color," he shrugs, a pink tinge coloring his cheeks. I know the shirt he is talking about. It is one of my favorite shirts because it is so comfortable and I can wear it under my robes. 

"Oh I am going to put together the best wedding the wizarding world has ever seen! If that is okay with the 2 of you," she adds trying to rein in her excitement. At this point I think I would have told her yes to just about anything to keep her so happy about me and Draco.

"Its okay with me," I shrug and we both look at Draco.

"Nothing too extravagant mother. Keep it manageable please," he says watching her sternly.

"I'll keep it small and intimate with just your close friends and family," she says calming down a bit.

"Then we'll leave the plans in your capable hands," he says.

"Thank you Draco," she says and I can tell she is thanking him for more than just letting her plan the wedding.

"Well we have to go meet up with Hermione's parents. I will write you when we get back to school," he says standing and kissing his mother on the cheek.

"Of course, but can I have just a moment with Hermione?" she asks, looking at me for permission.

"Sure," I shrug and Draco looks at both of us for a moment before turning and walking toward the door.

"I just wanted to apologize for my behavior in the past. I know I was horrible and I know how nervous you must have been to come here today. You are very brave, much braver than me," she says looking sad.

"I would like it if we could just start over as if this is the first time we have met. The past is past. We all make mistakes but we don't have to let them ruin the future," I tell her and a smile stretches her lips, transforming her pale pointed face into something bright and beautiful.

"I can see why my son loves you so much. I understand now why he was willing to leave his family behind for you. He is a smart boy and you have brought out the best in him. I would love to have a fresh start. So it is nice to meet you Hermione," she says smiling brightly.

"It is nice to meet you too," I tell her returning her smile.

"I am glad you are joining our family and don't worry, Lucius will come around, I'll make sure of it," she says and I can hear the threat in her voice. I wouldn't like to be Mr Malfoy about now.

"Thank you for planning the wedding. I don't know the first thing about it," I admit, standing to go join Draco.

"It's my pleasure. I can't wait to see you two again," she says standing and giving me a quick hug.

"See you soon," I say and head outside. Draco is waiting looking nervous,

"Was she nice to you?" he asks as soon as he sees me.

"She was very kind," I tell him grabbing his hand.

"Are you sure? You aren't just saying that to make me feel better?" he asks.

"I like your mum Draco. She was perfectly pleasant. Now are you ready to meet my parents?" I ask.

"Not at all, let's go" he says smiling. Its his turn to be nervous.

We spin on the spot and I pull him with me. We appear in front of my parents house in Australia. Draco's hands are shaking in mine as we walk up the steps, but he doesn't even have to worry. My parents love him right away, especially my mother. He is charming and polite, even when my father is grilling him about his past. But I don't find out until much later that the real grilling doesn't happen until I am helping my mom with the dinner dishes and my dad and Draco are out on the back porch.

Draco

To say Hermione's dad makes me nervous is an understatement, and we haven't even told him about our engagement yet. He has been kind to me all day, but I could sense that he was just waiting to get me on my own so he wouldn't upset Hermione and now he has succeeded.

"I love my daughter more than anyone else in this world son, do you understand that?" he asks. He doesn't raise his voice or stare me down. He is actually very even tempered and has a quiet authority that is much more powerful than if he was yelling at the top of his lungs.

"I do understand that sir, because I feel the same way. I love Hermione more than anything," I tell him. 

"So you will understand then, why I am a bit concerned about your relationship. For years I have heard stories about what kind of person you were. Greedy, selfish and cruel," he says evenly.

"Yes sir," I nod.

"But Hermione assures me you have changed. And my wife seems to believe it as well. But I want to hear what you have to say about it," he says looking me straight on for the first time.

"I'm not perfect sir. I know what kind of person I was back then. Everything Hermione told you about me is true. I chose the wrong side in a war that killed so many innocent people just because I was scared. I was too cowardly to stand up and do what was right. But I am not that boy anymore. I don't care about power of fear. I just want to have a normal life. I want to finish school and work for the ministry as curse breaker. I want to get married and have a family. I am not that boy anymore," I repeat, begging him to believe me.

"I don't think you are that boy anymore. I can see how much you love my daughter. It is obvious in your every movement and by the look on your face whenever you look at her of hear her voice. But I want you to know something Draco, if you hurt my daughter, if you are not the new and improved Malfoy you have everyone believing you are, I will hunt you down. I will find you and I will end you, muggle or not," he warns me.

"I would expect nothing less. But I have changed and I will never hurt her. She is my life sir," I tell him, looking down at the ring on my finger and wishing I could push that little button and be with her right now.

"I believe you son. Now let's go back inside and see what the girls are doing," he says standing and holding a hand out toward me.

I shake his firm hand and we walk back inside. Hermione is standing at the sink, her sleeves pushed up to her elbows and her hair falling in her face. Her head is tipped back and her mout is open as she laughs at something her mother said. My eyes follow the delicate line of her neck up her glowing face to her sparkling eyes. The love that hits me as I watch her movements is staggering. It is like she has lit a flame in my chest that flares up every time she is near me. I can't think of a time when I have been so happy, and it is all because of her. I had no idea another human being could become such an important part of me.

When the dishes are done we all head into the living room and I know Hermione is going to tell her parents about our engagement. She sits with me on the cove seat, her hand on my thigh and my arm around her shoulders. 

"Mom, dad, we have something to tell you," begins Hermione and I watch the color drain from her mothers face.

"You're pregnant," she gasps covering her mouth with a shaking hand.

"What?! No I'm not!" shouts Hermione looking startled.

"Oh thank heavens," says her mother taking a few deep breaths.

"What is it Hermione," says her father laughing.

"Well, Draco proposed on Christmas eve and I accepted. We are going to get married," she blurts out. For a moment the room is silent, then her mom lets out a squeal that could shatter glass.

They spend the next hour talking about wedding plans and what her mom wants to help with. I tell her I will make sure my mother knows that she will be helping and she hugs me tight. For the most part, me and her father just hang out and listen. Finally, when it is getting late, I suggest that we go for the night and come back another day. It takes another 15 minutes for everyone to say their goodbyes. Her mum hugs me again and her father shakes my hand and winks at me. 

When we get back to the beach house, we are both exhausted. We climb the stairs and head tot he bedroom where we pull on our pajamas and fall into bed. I roll over so I am next to Hermione with my arm around her waist. 

"That went better than expected," she says around a yawn.

"Both our parents were surprisingly supportive. Now if my dad wasn't such a git," I mumble angry all over again. Hermione rolls in my arms to face me.

"He will come around and if he doesn't, its his loss. We are going to have a great life together Draco. It doesn't matter what everyone else says or what they think, all I need to know is that you love me and that I love you. Nothing else matters," she says reaching up to cup my face between her hands. 

"How did I get so lucky as to get you?" I ask, totally amazed at the turn my life has taken.

"I have no idea," she says smiling.

"I love you Hermione, now and forever. I promise that, no matter what, I will give you the life you want," I tell her.

"All I want is you, everything else is just gravy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

619K 17.3K 38
The war is over. Everyone has to retake the previous year at Hogwarts. Hermione Granger is made Head Girl and Draco Malfoy is made Head Boy. Tensions...
27.6K 407 17
Hermione and Draco are repeating their 7th year along with their other friends. They both become Head Boy and Head Girl and had to share a common roo...
321K 6.2K 38
Hermione Granger has decided to go back to Hogwarts and finish her Seventh year. The rest of the Golden Trio do not go with her this time. Only her a...
7.6K 152 20
after the war Hermione Granger goes back to Hogwarts to continue her 7th year along with harry potter and ginny weasley. but what happens when she ma...