Descent Into Darkness

By GhostNinja

Phoenix has left his family, and is on a mission to rid the land of Demetrius' influence all by himself. The... More

Born Of Fire, Descent Into Darkness
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 2
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 3
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 4
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 5
Descent Into Darkness Chapter Six
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 7
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 8
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 9
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 10
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 11
Descent into Darkness Chapter 12
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 13
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 14
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 15
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 16
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 17
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 18
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 19
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 20
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 21
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 22
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 23
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 24
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 25
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 26
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 27
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 28
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 29
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 30
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 31
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 32
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 33
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 34
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 35
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 36
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 37
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 38
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 39
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 40
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 42
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 43
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 44
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 45
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 46
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 47
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 48
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 49
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 50
Descent Into Darkness Part 51
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 52
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 53
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 54
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 55
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 56
Descent Into Darkness Chapter 57
Descent Into Darkness Part 58

Descent Into Darkness Chapter 41

8.1K 556 63
By GhostNinja

Well, it's been a week, and now we're only three votes from the challenge of 290. I'll institute the same challenge until it has been met. 290 votes or one week, and I'll upload another chapter. I hope you all enjoy, as this chapter explains every question most of you should have. If you have one that isn't covered, leave me a comment!

That caught his attention. “How do you expect that four more people will make a difference?”

“You yourself have said the we five are the strongest elementals you have ever seen. That counts for something.”

He laughed softly. “Five elementals will be no match for his entire army.”

She glared at him. “Then you, my friend, have not read the prophecy closely enough.”

“Then please, tell me what I am missing.”

She smirked. “You are the god here, not I. If you can not figure out your own damned prophecy, then I will tell you nothing.”

He shook his head with a small smile. “How can I, when the book is back in the cave?”

He was not in the least bit surprised when she removed the book from a pocket in her pants, and he opened it to the marked page. Reading aloud, he spoke the words as the sun began to set. “One is within, one will be given, two will be taken, but four are required to save the extinguished flame. Four set out, soon to become one lost to stones cold embrace. Destruction smolders in his wake, until salvation comes from olden air, a molten blade, and deep despair. Mighty phoenix incarnate, longing for home, to return to surprise; on the path to home, the phoenix brought low. Companions arrive, deals are struck, the phoenix will need much luck. To the land of the enemy, through forests, over mountain, field, and gravel. A mighty battle spills much blood, the end of the phoenix has begun. Into the enemy’s lair the companions fly, five survive, one will die. The fate of all rests in the phoenix's hands, if he gives into the enemy's demands. For all to be safe, the phoenix dies, never more to rise

Lian crossed her legs underneath herself and leaned forward. “Tell me how that passage applies to these last few months and to your family.”

He complied. “One is within is my flame. 'One will be given' I think would be someone giving me their powers in the manner you told me of. 'Two will be taken' are the powers I must kill to acquire. 'Four are required' means I will need control over all four elements to succeed.”

Lian smacked him upside the head, sending a sharp spike of pain into his neck. “No, dull one. You claim to be a god yet you can barely understand written language.”

He rubbed his now aching skull and glowered at her. “Then please, tell me what it means, O great one.”

She smirked again, the reflection of the fire in the square dancing in her pupils. “One is within is you, Phoenix. The one who shall be given is your sister. She was given to your father, yes?”

Realization began to dawn on him, the revelation sparking in his mind. “Yes,” he said slowly.

“Two will be taken. Who was taken, Phoenix?”

“Lindani and Spedro!” he exclaimed.

“And each of you possess a single element, a single gift, spanning all four possible powers.”

He still needed proof, and told her so though he was beginning to understand the ramifications. “Four set out,” she said, “soon to become one lost to stone's cold embrace? Sound familiar? How could that refer to your gifts?”

“It doesn't, but it talks of the stone and my leaving my family!” he replied, excitement flooding his chest.

Lian read on. “Destruction smolders in his wake, until salvation comes from olden air, a molten blade, and deep despair. Olden air was my sensei, molten blade was the knife you stabbed her with, and the despair was mine.”

She continued, skipping parts that he already knew pertained to him. “Mighty phoenix incarnate, longing for home, to return to surprise. That would be your son. Companions arrive, deals are struck. And I honestly hope that passage means them.”

He looked up, suddenly aware of the flurry of movement on the ground, and someone shouting up at him. Five people had walked into the village while he was in concentration, the townspeople had hidden, and a woman stood below, clad in brown leather armor. Brown hair, green eyes, and a lithe figure, she stood below, looking up at him like an old friend. He looked to Lian, who nodded, and they both dropped from the roof, bending their knees to absorb the impact once they landed. “If you come to attack us, you will be sorely disappointed,” Phoenix growled. “This village is protected.”

The woman said nothing, only lighting her hands in response. Her flame was tinged with blue, and Phoenix recognized her at once “Kelissa?” he breathed.

The woman nodded, a smile breaking out on her face. He rushed forward, and she opened her arms. “I thought for sure you had died!” he cried, hugging her tightly.

“I had a wonderful teacher, and I went on to teach the others after you left,” she beamed. “Every time Demetrius attacked after that we were able to repel them.”

He released her and looked her up and down. “My, you've grown.”

“It has been two years, Phoenix. Such things tend to happen.”

He smiled. “Well what brings you to Yaag?”

“We are responding to a call for aid. We received word that Yaag was leading an offensive, and we have answered the call.”

“My father asked you to come?”

“No,” a female voice rang, and he turned to see Ember and Spedro behind him. “I called them.”

Ember's eyes were still red from tears, but she came forward and gathered her brother into an embrace. “I forgive you, Phoenix,” she whispered in his ear. “However, we still have much to discuss.”

She released him then, and offered her arm to Kelissa, who grasped it. “We come to fight,” Kelissa said. “I bring soldiers, elementals, and food. We come to meet Demetrius on the field of battle.”

“When did you send this call, Ember?” Phoenix asked.

“Two months ago. I sent envoys to many cities, though most we have not heard back from.”

He raised an eyebrow. “And Doritan allowed this?”

“Like your sister has told you,” Doritan's voice called, “much has changed in the time you have been absent.”

He looked past the five newcomers to see his father holding Tuuv, and at once he understood. The baby had changed his father. “I can see that.”

“Is there somewhere we might speak?” Kelissa asked, and Ember gestured toward the inn. “Of course. You must be hungry and tired after your long journey.”

Kelissa nodded, and Ember led them across the square, and Phoenix could see Lindani following them, yards behind. He sighed, the old ache settled in his chest, but Lian's hand on his shoulder reassured him all would be well. They settled around a large table, the innkeeper Jenso brought plates of steaming mutton and potatoes, and all of them began to eat. “So, Phoenix,” Kelissa said after swallowing a mouthful of meat, “tell us of your travels, for we have heard a great many rumors.”

Phoenix looked down, wondering what to tell her when Ember came to his rescue. “Much has transpired, far too much to tell,” she said. “Ask him another time, when troops and death are not the discussion we should be having.”

Kelissa blushed and took a swallow of ale. “We bring six hundred men, all proficient with a sword. Another fifty elementals, spanning air, earth, and fire, and enough supplies to last two months from this day. We are camped but two leagues from here, guarding your western approach.”

Ember nodded to Spedro, who began writing on a parchment. “Good. Yaag can supply two hundred swordsmen, and ten fire-born, not including Spedro, Phoenix, Lian, Lindani and myself.”

“Lian?” Kelissa asked, and was answered by a shadow dropping from the rafters to land at her side.

She started, almost falling sideways out her chair, her hands lighting once more, eyes wide as she took in the frightening sight of the eastern woman. Kelissa recovered quickly, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. “I guess she must be Lian.”

“I am,” Lian answered, inclining her chin. “I have heard much of you, Kelissa, daughter of Doiron.”

Kelissa stood, offered Lian her arm. “And you will have to forgive me, but I know not of your name or people.”

Kelissa was obviously expecting an explanation, but looked crestfallen when Lian nodded and walked away, disappearing into the shadows of the roof once more. Ember looked to Phoenix as if to say control her, and then turned back to Kelissa. “So, we have a total of nine-hundred-and-ten fighters, sixty of which are elementals. I do sincerely hope others answer my call.”

“As do we all,” Kelissa answered, looking down at her plate, pushing it away after a moment.

Phoenix stared at his sister, both proud of her new strength and bewildered by it. Did she possess such eloquence and grace all along, or had his absence forced her to take up his reins? He had received many answers this day, but the most important questions still burned, like an itch he could not scratch. He looked up to the rafters to see the light glinting off of what he thought were Lian's eyes, and he gestured outside, and he thought she blinked in response. “Forgive me,” he said, rising from the table. “The hour is late, and I have not slept for two nights. Kelissa, it was wonderful to see you once more. Ember, Spedro, I would very much like to meet you in the meadow tomorrow morning, for I have something I would very much like to show you.”

All three of them nodded, and he turned from the table, walking toward the door, but Lindani's glare from another table across the room stopped him in his tracks. He strode over, doing his best to appear nonthreatening, even though his anger was seconds away from overflowing. She sat with her crossed legs on the wood smoothed by years of use, and he placed his palms flat on the same surface, bringing his face inches from hers.

“Think of me what you will, Lindani, but I never stopped loving you. I love you still. If this upcoming battle does not claim my life, I will spend the rest of my days proving to you that I am worthy. Do what you will, choose another even, but I will always be here, for my son if not for my love. I was influenced by a power beyond my control, but that is no excuse. I expected anger, but not outright hate.”

Lindani did not flinch, nor offer him a response, and he continued. “Either way, I have one thing to say. Remove my son from arms once more in the manner from earlier, and you and I will have problems. I do not wish to harm you, but I will not allow your hate to deny him of a father.”

With that he turned and left, barreling through the door of the inn and into the darkness. If he had taken the time to look back, he would have seen a single tear streak down Lindani's cheek.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.8K 572 8
What will happen when Skylar Reign, the school freak, finds out that she's mated to her devilishly handsome twin Alphas? _________ Freak, that's what...
25.5K 581 36
A girl from a small village has been training for this moment her whole life. Final selection. The day she decided To become a demon slayer was the d...
335 73 12
2021 UPDATE: Please read my message board! Soldier got separated from her siblings during birth. She doesn't know that she lives with a witch and tha...
3.2K 292 65
"So, you rode Azymondias? The Dragon King?" My dad asked, surprised. "Yup." "And you were the only one to acquire one of his scales?" "Yup." "But...