The Football Boys (DISCONTINU...

By BenRyans

(Wattys2018Longlist) Childhood friends, Luka and Dakota, commit the ultimate drunk mistake and have one unfor... More

Chapter One : Freshmen Year
Chapter Two : The Next Morning
Chapter Three : Sophomore Year
Chapter Four : House Rules
Chapter Five : Let's Pretend
Chapter Six : Normal, Mostly
Chapter Eight : Blood Line
Chapter Nine : Queen B
Chapter Ten : Toys
Chapter Eleven : Moving On
Chapter Twelve : Make Out, I Mean Up
Chapter Thirteen : Stepping Stone
Chapter Fourteen : Two Steps Back
Chapter Fifteen : Try
Chapter Sixteen : Easy
Chapter Seventeen : Touch
Chapter Eighteen : Co-Captain
Chapter Nineteen : Dark Times Ahead
Chapter Twenty : Wild
Chapter Twenty One : Family Ties
Chapter Twenty Two : Touchdown
Chapter Twenty Three : Puppy
Chapter Twenty Four : Trouble
Chapter Twenty Five : Over
Chapter Twenty Six : New Kid On The Block
Chapter Twenty Seven : Need
Chapter Twenty Eight : Scouted
Chapter Twenty Nine : No I, In Team
Chapter Thirty : Big Boy
Chapter Thirty One : Kissing Booth
Chapter Thirty Two : Moreau House
Chapter Thirty Three : De Angelis House
Chapter Thirty Four : Lockdown
Chapter Thirty Five : The Big Game
Chapter Thirty Six : After Math
Chapter Thirty Seven : After Party
Chapter Thirty Eight : Occhi
Chapter Thirty Nine : PDA
Chapter Forty : The Worst That Could Happen
Chapter Forty One : Preperations
Chapter Forty Two : Homecoming
Chapter Forty Three : The Last Game
Chapter Forty Four : Summertime
Chapter Forty Five : Birthday Boy
Chapter Forty Six : The Last Supper
Chapter Forty Seven : Wait
Chapter Forty Eight : Heavy
Chapter Forty Nine : New Beginnings
Chapter Fifty : Senior Year
Chapter Fifty One : Home
Chapter Fifty Two : Golden Boy Returns
Chapter Fifty Three : Old Relations
Chapter Fifty Four : Good Over Evil
Chapter Fifty Five : There's Something Wrong With Alex
Chapter Fifty Six : Nonni
Chapter Fifty Seven : Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner
Chapter Fifty Eight : Chin Up
Chapter Fifty Nine : Rosso
Chapter Sixty : Snake In My Boot
Chapter Sixty One : The Merchant
Announcement

Chapter Seven : Game Night

89.5K 3.1K 2.1K
By BenRyans

"Tonight we're going to kick some ass." Coach said as we gathered our hands together in the centre of our circle. I ignored the fact that he just cursed, who am I to judge? I wondered how he got away with it without ever being reported to the principal.

"For years these asshats have been beating us but not today. No sir." Coach said but more to himself. I had hoped he wouldn't go off on some crazy rant and I was thankful he hadn't.

"Warriors!" Coach yelled along with the others.

I was benched first while Dakota played. He winked at me as he ran by with a huge grin on his face. I chuckled to myself and looked down, feeling a bit of embarrassment; hoping no one else seen. But even if they did, we're just two best friends who are close.

My parents were in the stands with my moms eyes mostly fixed on Dakota throughout the game. My dad had his phone his face, doing important business things. I'm actually surprised he even showed. Right beside them sat Dakotas parent, it's been years since I actually seen them in person. Sure I'd get the usual birthday gift cards and holiday cards, but a few years ago my om told me I wasn't allowed over.

I always went over to his house as a child but my mom suddenly changed her views on Mrs. Moreau and it confused me. They were best friends since college and I always just assumed they had a fall out and would make up. It never happened and Dakota never told me what was going on his end. Even though we're childhood friends, I don't know everything about him just yet.

"Hi Luka!" Queenie waved at me. I ignored her as she came running up to me.

"Dakota is doing great tonight." I ignored her once again. Her voice alone annoyed me and I just wanted her to go away.

"Maybe he'll give me some of his time tonight at the after party instead." She smirked. I scoffed and finally looked in her direction.

"Screw off Queenie." I said with a curt smile.

"See you two tonight." She stood up and winked at me. It's like she knows how to get under someone's skin. Dakota wouldn't even think about touching her. I know that much. And there's no way we are going to that after party even if I have to beg and grovel. Queenie is looking for trouble and I don't want to be the puddy in her hands of whatever game she was playing.

After a close tie, Dakota lead us to another touchdown before the end of the game. I waited for the crowd of people congratulating him to disperse before walking over to him.

"You were great."
"I know."

I nudged him and chuckled.
"Can't you be modest for once."

"I think it would kill me."

"You did good." Mom said behind me, giving me a light pat on the back.
"And Dakota you were amazing out there!" She smiled and gave him a hug.

"Hey hun, wasn't Dakota great?" She asked my dad who still had his eyes fixed on his phone.

"Wonderful, yes." He murmured.

"Thanks Mr and Mrs. De Angelis." He smiled.

"Kota, you did good son." Dakota's dad came up to him and ruffled his hair. His mom only smiled and gave him a pat on the back. She looked different and I don't know what it was but something was off about her that I never noticed before. I opted to ignore it.

"Thank you sir." Dakota's sudden change in expression confused me.

"Luka, you should come to the house more often. You're getting big." Mr.Moreau smiled before pulling me and Dakota into a hug.

"You both did great today." He said and patted my back.

"Didn't they?" Mom smiled.

"I'll see you later." Dakota said as we parted ways with our parents. I walked out to the parking lot with mom and dad. I didn't say a word the way home. ignoring the way mom treated me at the game. But the less I spoke, the angrier I became.

When we arrived at the house, I slammed my bedroom door and grabbed my football from my desk, throwing it in the trash can, wanting to punch something, anything even myself.

I heard a tap on my window and looked up to see Dakota with a smile plastered on his face. I stood up from my bed and walked over to the window, opening it to let him in.

"Hey why aren't you ready?" He asked as he climbed in.

"What do you mean?" I asked pretending not to know but I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"The dance, the after party, it's going to be wild."

"How about we just stay in." I grabbed the football out of the trash can, feeling guilty. I tossed it in the air, letting it fall back into my hands.

"You're joking, right?" He chuckled and sat on the edge of my bed.

"Why do we have to go out every weekend? Every time you start a sentence it's about a party." I tossed the football again.

"We won our first game, its to celebrate." He laid down in my bed.

Queenie was planning something that I didn't want to be a part of and she knew Dakota wouldn't say no to the after party tonight. We've been to almost every party, it's obvious he likes to go out. I desperately wanted him to stay in tonight. But when he wants something, he gets it.

"How about you go without me?" I suggested. Dakota remained quiet for a moment.

"It'll be more fun if you come."
"You mean it'll be fun for you while I babysit."

"No way."
"Just go without me."

"Fine." Dakota said coldly, leaving without another word.

I rubbed the bridge of my nose and sighed. I had to stop myself from going after him and decided to sit down on my bed. Dakota is capable of going alone, and taking care of himself.

What am I doing here? I walked into the schools gym which was revamped for the dance. Loud pop music played and miserable chaperones were all over the place including coach. We locked eyes and he came walking towards me at a fast pace.

"Coach?"
"Did you find the mole?" He whispered it like someone would be listening.

"Not yet sir, but I'm getting close." I said to put his questionable mind at ease.

"Good boy." He patted my back and walked back to the spot he was standing in. I'm beginning to think he's mentally unstable.

The gym was packed making it impossible to spot Dakota right away. I walked to the side and stood on one of the benches to get a better view.

"Luka, you came." Gemma tugged on my the bottom of my shirt getting my attention.

"Hey Gemma, I'm kind of busy."
"If you're looking for Dakota, he's not here."

"What? Where is he?"
"Alex's, he's having an after party at his place."

"And why aren't you there?"
"Because you weren't there, and Queenie told me not to go." She looked around nervously.

"Do you always listen to her?"
"You could say that.."

"I still don't understand."
"So you going to Alex's? I'll be happy to show you the way." She grinned at me and grabbed my arm.

I looked around the gym once more and noticed coach squinting at me, getting ready to come talk to me again.

"Lets go." Anything to get away from him.

Alex's house wasn't far from the school and it was just like all the other house parties, huge. Unlike the others, it was mainly the football team and their friends.

"Well I can only go up to here." Gemma said.

"Don't be stupid, just stay."
"Okay." She smiled brightly and clung onto my arm. We walked around looking for any sign of Dakota. I asked around and most were too drunk to give me a straight answer.

"This is hopeless, there's too many people." I said to Gemma over the loud music. She nodded and took a sip of her drink which I was only now noticing.

"Cute couple." Alex walked up to us with a red solo cup in his hand, clearly intoxicated.

"Hey, have you seen Dakota around?"
"Dakota? Last I seen, your boy was walking upstairs with a red head." He smirked bringing the drink up to his lips.

Every cell in body trembled and I felt like hurling from the anger that raged inside of me. I ran up the stairs pushing past anyone that was in my way. Dakota with Queenie? He wouldn't, I know my best friend.

I checked the first room that I seen and opened it, no, next one, no. I heard giggling coming from the last door and quickly rushed over to open it.

Queenie was straddled over top of Dakota who looked completely out of it. It had only been a couple hours and he looked trashed. I walked up to them without a word and shoved Queenie off which sent her to the other side of the bed.

"It was just getting to the good part." Queenie smirked.
"Lets go." I said to Dakota ignoring Queenie. I grabbed his arm but he only tugged away from me.

"Screw off." He mumbled.
"We're leaving." I grabbed his arm again, with a tighter grip this time.

"Stay, we can have a threesome." Queenie giggled and got up from the bed walking over to me.

"It'll be fun." She rubbed my shoulder. I flinched at her touch.

"Don't Queenie, I'm serious." I said finally getting Dakota on his feet. We walked out with no troubles and started heading home. I hope Gemma is alright, I completely forgot about her as soon as I heard Dakota was with Queenie.

It was freezing and still dark outside. A car would drive by every now and again and a cycler or two but it was quiet. I had Dakota hoisted on my back to make it easier and faster to get home.

"I can't believe you were going to sleep with her." I said over my shoulder.

"I'm going to be sick." Dakota slurred. I sighed and set him down, he went running to a nearby park trash can. He sat down beside it after nearly hurling his insides out.

I walked over to one of the picnic tables on the park and sat down, furious that he was with Queenie. I shouldn't be, it's none of my business who Dakota sleeps with. People don't care who their friends sleep with. Even if Queenie was only doing it out of spite.

"I'm sorry." Dakota said, making me jump. I was too wrapped up in my own thoughts to realize he was sitting bedside me.

"Me too. I don't know why I got so angry."

"I don't know why I was even thinking about sleeping with Queenie. After she told me you slept with Gemma I guess, I was angry too." He shrugged.

"I'd never sleep with Gemma."

It was quiet as we sat there in the empty park. Dakota leaned against my shoulder and I let him. We sat in the park for what must of been hours, sitting in silence and taking comfort in each other's presence.

"I better go home this time." Dakota said as I was getting ready to open my bedroom window.

"See you tomorrow then?"
"Tomorrow." Dakota smiled as he patted my back and walked away.

I laid in bed but couldn't sleep. My mind was riddled with the memory of seeing Dakota and Queenie together. I felt heated and angry every time I thought about. I closed my eyes and hoped tomorrow I would forget. I hoped that things would go back to normal.

Vote, comment and tell me what you think :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.8K 825 33
In a world where six colors define who you are and what status you have in life. Things are quite(not so much) hard for Aiden until he meets Ryan and...
260K 13.2K 83
Emmet and Clay did not meet on the best of terms, but that doesn't stop them from becoming fast friends. As their bond grows stronger, they will do w...
830K 48.2K 34
It's hard to believe that a boy who didn't believe in love and a boy who didn't believe he could love himself would have much to learn from each othe...
137K 8.6K 35
Jesse's entire life is a charade. Everything he does, he does to hide the truth. His girlfriend? Fake. His hair colour? Fake. His love for soccer? Fa...