The Boy in the Woods (2014 Wa...

By KatherineArlene

A newly expanded and professionally edited version of the Boy in the Woods is now available for sale as an eb... More

A Brief Word
Chapter 1 - Jess
Chapter 2 - On the Street Where You Live
Chapter 3 - Tears On My Pillow
Chapter 4 - Lonesome Town
Chapter 5 - Lonely Boy
Chapter 6 - Maybe
Chapter 7 - It's Just a Matter of Time
Chapter 8 - Hearts Made of Stone
Chapter 9 - Don't Be Cruel
Chapter 10 - One Summer Night
Chapter 11 - Problems
Chapter 12 - Twilight Time
Chapter 14 - School Day (Ring! Ring! Goes the Bell)
Chapter 15 - Why
Chapter 16 - Alone With You
Chapter 17 - Who's Sorry Now?
Chapter 18 - It's Not For Me To Say
Chapter 19 - What a Difference a Day Makes
Chapter 20 - Silhouettes
Chapter 21 - You Send Me
Chapter 22 - The Secret of Christmas
Chapter 23 - Gonna Give Myself a Party
Chapter 24 - Let's Start the New Year Right
Chapter 25 - My Happiness
Chapter 26 - Am I Losing You
Chapter 27 - It's Time to Cry
Chapter 28 - Heartaches by the Number
Chapter 29 - Don't You Know
Chapter 30 - Here Comes Summer
Chapter 31 - Five Feet High and Rising
Chapter 32 - Tell Him No
Chapter 33 - Arrivederci
Chapter 34 - He'll Have to Go
Chapter 35 - Sixteen Candles
Chapter 36 - Come Go With Me
Chapter 37 - Somebody's Back in Town
Chapter 38 - Put Your Head on My Shoulder
Chapter 39 - Wishful Thinking
Chapter 40 - The One You Slip Around With
Chapter 41 - The Twist
Chapter 42 - Only the Lonely (Know the Way I Feel)
Chapter 43 - It's Now or Never
Chapter 44 - Swingin' School
Chapter 45 - Where the Boys Are
Chapter 46 - Run To Him
Chapter 47 - Surrender
Chapter 48 - Take Good Care of My Baby
Chapter 49 - I'm Sorry
Chapter 50 - I Fall To Pieces
Chapter 51 - Town Without Pity
Chapter 52 - Let's Twist Again
Chapter 53 - Do You Love Me?
Chapter 54 - Don't Break the Heart That Loves You
Epilogue - God Only Knows
This Is Not the End - Jonathon's Story is Finished!
Exciting News about The Boy in the Woods!
Finding Marty
My Writing Process and The Boy in the Woods
Buy the Published Version of The Boy in the Woods!
A Paperback Version? Yes!

Chapter 13 - I Got a Feeling

157K 5.5K 1K
By KatherineArlene

As Jess walked behind Marty on the way to the pond, the usually comfortable silence between them felt heavy.  She wanted to talk to him about how her uncle had almost kept her from going to school the night before, but she suspected he wouldn't be very sympathetic.  Knowing how much he hated school, she wasn't sure he'd understand how horrible it would have been for her.  He'd probably be happy if someone told him he wasn't going back.   

Ever since she'd woken up that morning, she'd felt a nervous fluttering in her stomach, knowing tomorrow was the first day of school.  Worries mounted even though she'd tried to push them away.  Would she be able to find her way around?  Would her classes be hard?  Would she like her teachers?  And most importantly, would the other kids like her? 

If those weren't enough questions to be worried about, she had the added burden of knowing if her uncle found fault in anything she did, he'd force her to stay home.  When she thought about what he probably expected of her, she shuddered inwardly.  She would never treat people as if she was better than them, but she knew the bigger issue would be who she chose as friends.  Judging by the kind of friends Doug had, she knew how limited her choices were.  Would she like the kids of the wealthy and powerful in town enough to want to be friends with them?  She hoped there would at least be one or two. 

And then there was Marty.  As she watched him walk ahead of her through the field of tall grass with an easy stride, the fishing pole propped against his shoulder, she felt terrible.  When she'd found out they were going to the same school, she'd been excited, but now she wished they weren't.  How was it going to feel to be in the same class with him, or pass him in the hall and pretend she didn't know him?  He was her best friend and she was going to have to act as though he didn't exist.  It wasn't right, but what choice did she have?  Even Marty had said she had to do it.

As soon as they reached the pond, Jess put their lunches and her towel under the willow tree while Marty began unlacing his boots.  Anxious to leave her worries about school behind, she quickly unbuckled her shoes and pulled off her socks.  Within seconds she was splashing into the cool water and did a shallow dive, swimming under the surface as long as her breath held. 

When she came up and turned around, Marty was swimming towards her.  Now able to swim as well as she did, it wasn't long before he reached her.  They immediately began splashing each other until she turned with a shriek of laughter and swam as fast as she could, trying to escape the deluge of water Marty was throwing at her.

Later that afternoon, with the sun sinking lower in the sky, she knew she'd better get home.  Reluctantly sitting up, she looked over at Marty.  He was sleeping on his back with an arm over his eyes. 

"Marty, I have to go," she said loudly, and he stirred.  She stood and stretched before wrapping the towel around her waist.  Marty got up and when he went to his clothes, she happened to glance over at him.

"Marty!" she gasped.  "What happened to your back?"  She couldn't believe she hadn't noticed the ugly dark-purple bruise on his left shoulder blade until that moment.  Marty's shoulders stiffened as he walked through the willow branches, but he didn't stop and she quickly followed him.

"I fell," he said as he scooped up his t-shirt.  That didn't make any sense to her and she went behind him so she could examine the bruise more closely, but he pulled on the shirt, covering it up. 

"But – how could you –?"  He turned suddenly, his eyes hard as he loomed over her.

"Will you give it a rest already?" he snarled.  She stared up at him, shocked by his sudden anger, and a look of regret crossed his face.  He turned to retrieve his jeans, but not before she saw his face flush. 

"It just happened, okay?" he muttered.  

As she watched him yank his pant legs up with a grim face, she felt a horrible feeling in the pit of her stomach.  Something was terribly wrong.  She opened her mouth to argue with him, but then closed it. 

"Okay," she said finally, and went to put on her socks and shoes.

Marty was lying to her, she was almost certain of it, but she knew she shouldn't say anything about it.  He walked over to the fallen tree log and grabbed the fishing pole that was lying on it, then he went to the path without a word.  She hurried to finish her buckles, then ran to catch up.

Falling in step behind him, she was grateful he couldn't see her face.  Watching him walk with his head down and his shoulders hunched, tears pricked her eyes as she finally allowed herself to contemplate the truth.  Someone had hit him.  When she considered the possibilities of who could have done it, she knew it had to be someone in his home, his father or possibly his mother.  As terrible as that bruise looked, it must have hurt him a lot.  How could someone do that to their own kid, she wondered with despair, remembering how much her own parents had loved her. 

Then she remembered the last time he'd told her he'd fallen. That was right after she'd found him.  He'd stayed away for two days and she thought he wasn't ever coming back when he'd shown up with a bruise.  Now it suddenly made sense.  He'd only returned to the cabin because he had nowhere else to go.  All this time, he'd been trespassing onto the property to escape what was going on in his home.  

Quickly wiping her eyes as they entered the forest, she tried to get control over her emotions.  She knew Marty well enough to know she couldn't let him see her like this.  He would hate it if he knew she'd figured out this other secret.  At least he had her for a friend so he didn't have to spend his time alone anymore, she thought, trying to find something to make her feel better.  She knew Marty was happy when he was with her and they'd had a really good summer. 

When they walked in the cabin, Marty put away the fishing pole in the corner and turned to go to the kitchen for a drink of water, still looking grim.   Deciding to give him a moment alone to recover, she went in the bedroom to change out of her suit.  When she finished, he was still in the kitchen, leaning against the cook stove with his arms crossed over his chest staring at the floor.  He didn't look up when she joined him, and she worried what he was thinking.  Had he guessed she knew the truth?

"I'm nervous about school tomorrow," she admitted, desperate to change the subject.

"I don't know why," he muttered bitterly to the floor.  "You'll do just fine." 

"I hope so," she said.  When he didn't say anything else, she sighed with disappointment that it hadn't worked.  "Well – good bye," she said hesitantly, deciding it was probably best to leave.  Taking her basket, she walked out the back door. 

"I'll walk with you," she heard quietly from behind her. 

"Okay," she replied, instantly feeling a little better.  She hadn't wanted the last day of summer to end with tension and awkwardness between them, and it seemed he hadn't either. 

He shoved his hands in his pockets and fell in step beside her, walking with his head down.  She tried not to read too much into his silence, determined to enjoy their last minutes together.  When they reached the place where the curve to the garage was in sight, she stopped and turned towards him.  She waited, wondering if he might say something, but he remained quiet with his eyes on the ground. 

Deciding he must be waiting for her, she said, "Well, I guess –," just as his head snapped up. 

"Good bye, Jess," he said sharply, and turned to walk away. 

She watched him leave with disbelief, and then slumped.  He knows, she thought sadly.  Even though he'd tried to convince her otherwise, and she'd done her best to pretend she hadn't seen through it, the truth was out, driving a wedge between them. 

Turning to continue to the garage, she tried to console herself.  The next time she saw him, he would be completely fine.  He'd act as though nothing had ever happened, just like he always did, and so would she.  Everything would be alright, she thought determinedly.

The next morning, Jess was awakened by someone shaking her shoulder.  She blinked her eyes open to see Annie standing over her, lit by the early dawn sun. 

"Time to get up and get ready for school, pumpkin," she said gently.

"Okay," Jess said, sitting up and stretching, feeling even more nervous than the day before.

"Once you're dressed, come down to have breakfast in the dining room," she added.

"Oh?" Jess said, her heart sinking.  That could only mean one thing.

"On school days, you and Doug have breakfast with your uncle," Annie replied, confirming what she already feared.

"Okay," Jess said quietly, and Annie left her room, closing the door softly behind her.

Looking through her dresses, she chose one of her everyday cotton ones, a medium blue that she hoped would look alright and slipped it on.  Finishing with ankle socks and her regular mary jane shoes, she went to the bathroom to deal with her hair.  It was just reaching her shoulders and she brushed it back, gathering it into a pony tail, but it looked dumb since it was still too short.  With a sigh, she took out the hair elastic and put in the headband she'd worn the other night. 

When she walked in the dining room, her uncle was already seated at the table, but Doug hadn't arrived yet.  She breathed a sigh of relief she wasn't the one holding up breakfast, but then she saw the hard disapproving look in his eyes.  What had she done now? 

As soon as she sat, Doug walked in the room, saying, "Good morning."  He looked tired with dark smudges under his blue eyes, but his hair was perfectly combed off his forehead and he looked nice, wearing khaki trousers and plaid button down shirt.  Then Annie backed into the room through the swinging door with a tray holding their breakfast plates. 

As she placed fried eggs, bacon and toast in front of her uncle, he said tersely, "Annie, James will take you into town this afternoon.  You'll pick up Jessica after school and take her shopping for clothes."  The two of them glanced at each other with surprise.

"Alright," she said quietly, while placing a plate in front of Doug, hiding a smile.  Jess tried to keep her face neutral as well, even though she was excited about finally getting some new clothes. 

"I called the superintendent of schools to have you enrolled yesterday," he said to Jess as he placed his napkin in his lap.  "Douglas, take Jessica to the school office to pick up her schedule of classes.  If there are any issues, call me and I'll come deal with it."

"Alright," Doug said, shoveling food in his mouth.  For the sake of the school officials, Jess hoped there wouldn't be.  Uncle Jonathon looked at his watch. 

"You're running late.  You need to leave in five minutes to make sure you get to the school in time.  Jessica!" he added sharply.  "Hurry and finish your breakfast!"

"Yes, sir," she said, and bowed her head over her plate, trying to eat more quickly. 

By time Doug stood, saying, "Let's go," she had a stomach ache from a combination of eating too fast and nerves.  She followed him through the swinging door where Annie handed them each a paper sack with their lunches.  When they got to the garage, James saw them and got in the black car.  He drove to the gate with them following not far behind in Doug's car. 

While they waited for him to unlock the padlock and remove the chain, Jess asked, "Why is the gate always locked?"

"I don't know," Doug said easily, shrugging his shoulders.  "It's always been locked.  I guess because we're rich."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Jess said, as they drove past James.  She didn't bother pointing out to Doug that not all rich people lived behind locked gates.  But if this was how he had always lived, she could understand why it would seem normal.

Not long after they drove into town, Doug turned off the main two lane highway.  Weaving through neighborhood streets with modest one and two story homes, they passed groups of teens walking the same direction they were driving.  Jess couldn't help examining the girls, noticing how none of them were dressed like her.  At least after today, she'd have the right clothes, she thought with a sigh. 

They pulled into the parking lot of a large two story brick building, and Jess immediately felt her stomach flip.  Sick with nervousness, she got out of the car and followed Doug.  They'd gotten there early enough, there were few people milling around, but all of them looked at her curiously.  A few of the older teens called out to Doug, but he barely barked out a curt 'Hi' as he continued to the entrance of the building. 

Jess followed him through a double set of glass doors into a hushed, empty hallway.  One open door had a sign above it, labeling it as the office and when they stepped inside, an older woman with short grey hair peered over her reading glasses.

"Hello, Mr. Blackwell," she said cheerfully, standing up from her typewriter as Doug walked up to the high wooden counter.  She took off her glasses, letting them hang from the chain around her neck. 

"I came to get my cousin's class schedule," Doug said.

"I'll let Principal Petersen know you're here," she replied with a smile.  "He's been expecting you."

Doug drummed his fingers on the wooden counter, looking bored, while the secretary went to a rear door and opened it. 

"Mr. Petersen, Mr. Blackwell is here with his cousin."  She barely had time to step back from the door before a stout man with glasses and a thin mustache burst through.

"Mr. Blackwell!" he said heartily, waddling over to Doug with his hand extended.  "Welcome back.  Welcome back.  Ready for another year?" 

"Yes, sir," Doug said disinterestedly while shaking his hand.  Then the principal's eyes shifted to Jess and he looked startled before he managed to hide it.

"This is your cousin – uh, Jessica?" he asked, as he examined her closely.  His glasses were thick, making his eyes appear larger than normal.

"Yes, sir," Jess spoke up.  "But everyone calls me Jess."

"Oh, that's fine.  That's fine," he said distractedly as he pulled an index card out of his inside jacket pocket and looked at it with concern.

"Er, what was your birthday again, Jessica?" he asked, still looking at the card and it dawned on Jess what the problem was. 

"December 22nd, 1944," she said clearly, and his face relaxed.

"Splendid!  Splendid!" he said heartily.  Jess was certain he was relieved he wasn't going to have to face her uncle to explain why she was too young to attend high school.  "I think we have everything in order.  Here is your schedule," he said animatedly, handing over the index card to her.  "If you have any questions, about anything – anything at all, you come to me personally.  Alright, Jessica?"

"Thank you, sir," she said quietly, feeling distinctly uncomfortable.

"Come on, Jess," Doug muttered.  "Class is starting soon."

"That's right!  That's right!" Mr. Petersen exclaimed, clapping his hands together.  "I mustn't keep you.  Mr. Blackwell, Jessi – uh, Miss Blackwell," he said, shaking both their hands in turn.  As soon as he'd released Doug, he turned to leave and Jess hurried to follow.

"Have a good first day of school!" he called out as they reached the hallway, and Doug led her back through the double doors. 

"Do they always talk to you like that?" Jess asked quietly.

"Like what?" he asked, scanning the growing crowd outside the building.

"Never mind," Jess replied.  Having adults fawn all over him was obviously something else Doug had never noticed was odd.

"Follow me," he said, and started off through the crowd.  Jess felt like every pair of eyes was on her and there was a slight change to the buzzing of the crowd as students began talking in hushed whispers after she'd passed.

"Janet!" Doug shouted, and a young girl turned around.  Her eyes got big as she realized Doug had spoken to her.  Another girl standing next to her turned, and then looked just as startled. 

"You're in ninth grade, right?" Doug asked when he reached her.  She peered up at him with wide eyes, looking slightly dazed until her friend nudged her sharply with her elbow. 

"Uh, yeah – yes!" she said, as if she'd just come to. 

"I'm in ninth grade too, Doug," her friend said breathlessly.

"This is my cousin, Jess," Doug said, ignoring the second girl and pointing to Jess with his thumb.  "She's starting ninth."  Both girls looked at her with surprise, as if they hadn't noticed her until that moment.  Jess saw their eyes travel down, taking in her cotton dress and scuffed mary jane shoes before they gave each other a meaningful look.  Doug turned to Jess.  "Where's your schedule?" he asked with his hand out, and she handed it to him. 

"Make sure she gets to all her classes," Doug commanded the first girl, thrusting Jess's schedule at her.

"Sure thing, Doug," she said eagerly, taking it from him.

"I will too," the other one piped up with a smile.

"We both will," the first one added, giving her a stern look, not wanting to be overshadowed.  Doug turned to leave and Jess felt a panic rise up in her that he was leaving her alone with strangers.  Just as she opened her mouth to say something, he turned back. 

"Oh, yeah," he said to Jess, and relief washed through her that he wasn't abandoning her.  "This is Janet," he said pointing to the first girl.  "She's Whitey's little sister.  And this is, uh."  He snapped his fingers as he tried to remember.

"Patty," she prompted.

"Right, Patty.  She's Jerry's little sister.  See you around, Jess," he said abruptly, and walked away before she could even say good bye.  She watched the place where he'd vanished into the crowd, feeling desperate.

"Oh! My! Gosh!" the two girls chanted together, and Jess turned to see them collapse against each other with a high pitched squeal.

"He's so dreamy!" Patty said with her hands clasped in front of her chest.

"I can't believe he talked to us!" Janet said.

"What do you mean?" Patty said, slapping Janet's upper arm lightly.  "You got to spend the entire summer with him!  Lucky!" she pouted.

"He spent it with my stupid brother!" Janet huffed.  "He didn't say one word to me the entire time!"

"But you got to see him in a bathing suit!" Patty retorted, and Janet's eyes got that dazed look again.  

"Yeah, I did," she said, staring off at nothing with a smile as she remembered.  Jess rolled her eyes. 

Then Patty nudged her and they turned to Jess, finally remembering she was there.  She stood there awkwardly while the two of them looked her over once again, and mentally cursed her uncle for making her look so bad on her first day of school.  They were dressed identically in circle skirts, short sleeved sweaters, ankle socks, and penny loafers.  They even had the same short permed hairstyle.  The only difference was that Patty had cat eye glasses.

"So?  Am I in any of your classes?" Jess asked finally, tired of being stared at.  If it wasn't for the fact that Janet was holding her class schedule, she would have walked away and taken her chances on finding her way around on her own. 

"Let me see," Janet said, holding up Jess's index card and an identical one side by side.  Patty put hers next to them and Jess came around to look at the cards.

"Same homeroom, english, social studies," Janet said.

"P.E. and math with me," Patty said.

"It looks like all three of us have home ec., science, and of course, lunch," Janet finished.

"Oh, that's good," Jess said weakly, wishing more and more that Doug had just left her to fend for herself.  She wasn't sure if she liked these girls yet, but now she was going to be spending the entire day with them.  Just then, a bell rang loudly through the school yard. 

"Stick with me," Janet ordered, and Jess followed behind her and Patty, as the teens crowded together and slowly made their way to the double doors.

Once inside the building, they walked down the packed hallway.  Patty waved good bye and went into one doorway and she followed Janet into another.  Janet took a desk in the middle of the room and immediately began talking to the girl in front of her while Jess sat in the desk next to her.  It was clear this was a social studies room, with pictures of various presidents and posters about government and laws covering the walls. 

As she looked around, she noticed the dark haired girl who was sitting next to her was watching her out of the corner of her eye.  She was wearing a simple cotton dress very similar to Jess's, and lace up leather shoes.  Jess immediately felt a connection to her.  This was someone she could be friends with.  She smiled and was about to open her mouth to introduce herself when her heart leapt in her chest. 

Marty had just walked through the door.

****

Uh, oh.  What will happen next?  Jess now knows the truth about why Marty spends so much time on her uncle's property.  What do you think was going on with Marty when he walked her home?  Will this change things between them?  And what about Jess's school day so far?  You've gotten a little more insight into Doug's life in this chapter as well.  I'm sure you're full of opinions about that.  Let me know what you think?  I'm dying to know!

This chapter's video is a Ricky Nelson song.  Since he's the person I've chosen to play Doug, I hope you'll take a moment to watch it so you can see just how dreamy he is.  :)

Thank you so much for reading!!  I really hope you liked this chapter, and if you did, please consider giving it a vote!  The week I posted this chapter, The Boy in the Woods had it's best hotlist rating ever, reaching #1 in Historical Fiction and #8 in General Fiction, and that's because of all of you reading, voting, and commenting.  Thank you again!  I can't tell you how much I appreciate your support for my story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.6M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...
25.7M 1M 45
|| Highest Rank - #1 in Teen Fiction || Coral Stewart is a nerdy seventeen year old girl who is way too smart for her own good. She has already grad...
35.7M 1.5M 57
|| Highest Rank - #1 in Teen Fiction || Ever broken into Disney World at three in the morning? Ever pranked the police and almost gotten arrested f...
8.3M 228K 61
Warning this book is rough. Not edited. We wanted privacy. We wanted a normal relationship with no high expectations. But that's hard when you have...