The Secrets of Cain

AbigailMartin467 által

*Book 2 of the City of Cain Trilogy* Cover made by me :) Adrian had a tough time moving into his new home in... Több

War Zone
Preparations
Earlier Years
After School Lessons
Out of Control
Traditional Vampire Style
A Blast From the Past
The Darker Side
The Animal Within
Fear and Cold Blood
Sleepless Nights and Unresolved Fights
Worry Your Brains Out
Twisted
Made To Prey
Warm and Queasy Feelings
Overbearing Parents and Moody Teens
Cold Bagels and Bitter Cupcakes
Vision or Prophecy?
Couldn't Hide Forever
Switched Places
Plan C
Acting is Crucial
Three Types of Hunters
Monsters and Motivational Speaking
Crazy Uncle Lane
Obligations
Rallying the Troops
Murderous Kitsunes and Vicious Wolves
Humor Relieves Most Situations
Whispers That Are Heard
Distressing Conversations
Another Shift
Bad Zombies and Worse Parents
*News!*

Restraint Is Key

103 12 78
AbigailMartin467 által

A/N:

The picture above is my cat, Lani. She's 1 year and 3 months old. It's relevant to the author's note at the end of this chapter :)

I had another cat but she died in July of last year. She was only 2 years old. R.I.P Moola.

-------------------------------------------------

Chapter 4: Restraint Is Key

"I'm sorry." Adrian says as he grabs Ivie's arm to turn her towards him.

"For what?" Ivie asks the question that Adrian was just asking himself.

"Talking about you like that. I shouldn't have said anything about you like that to a complete stranger." Adrian says, making things up as he says them.

"It's okay. You were just running her off. I don't like her anyway, so I kind of wish you were rude. But it's fine." Ivie says with a smile.

Adrian seems so determined to make Ivie happy, which confuses and pleases Ivie at the same time.

"Then what's wrong?" Adrian questions Ivie as she tries to move away again. Adrian has let go of her arm, but he's not about to let her leave before she replies.

"Nothing specific. I'm just not ecstatic to be back here." Ivie glances around her, as if someone might've heard and she could get in trouble for saying that.

Adrian laughs, causing multiple people to turn to see where the gorgeous sound came from.

"What? What's so funny?" Ivie demands to know, getting on the defensive side.

"You. You're adorable." Adrian responds, his voice just over a whisper.

Ivie feels her jaw come loose and knows she's probably standing there slack jawed like an idiot. Ivie slams her mouth closed as she gazes up into Adrian's eyes. They're always a cold blue, but now there's a hint of amusement hidden there, paired with a huge grin.

"I have to go find my friends." Ivie blurts out to break the stare.

"Right. I'll go with you." Adrian says, the grin on his face not faltering.

"You don't have to. I mean, I know things will be awkward because they'll say something threatening to you because they're protective of me. Being my best friends..." Ivie says in a rush, taking a deep breath at the end.

"Actually, I really do have to. I need someone to show me to the office." Adrian says with a teasing smile and a glint in his eye.

Ivie feels her cheeks heat up in a blush. "Oh, of course." Ivie mutters, which Adrian hears with his super hearing.

Adrian lets out a low chuckle as Ivie starts walking to the other side of the cafeteria.

"There you guys are!" Ivie calls out to her friends. Adrian immediately spots Vanessa and Selynn through the crowd. They give off a sort of vibration that signifies their powerful magic. Since they don't know how to mask that yet, Adrian can sense it.

Adrian recalls the day that Ivie mysteriously invited him over by going to Lena, who went to Lucas, who came to Adrian.

Adrian had rammed Ivie into the wall demanding answers because he thought it was a setup. Adrian could feel the power coming from Vanessa and Selynn, so he assumed it was some sort of ambush.

It turns out that Vanessa and Selynn have a bunch of untapped power inside of them. What Adrian left out when he told them about it was that something has been repressing that power.

Adrian also left out the fact that he felt something was off with Selynn, but he still can't place it.

Adrian had tried warning the girls against their parents because Mr. and Mrs. Delaney could be the culprits that were messing with their magic, but the girls wouldn't listen. They said that they thought their parents didn't know about the supernatural.

Anyway, Adrian had concluded that Vanessa and Selynn are both witches. Witches are like Spellcasters, but witches usually have to use spell books. A spell book is only not required if the witch is very strong, and that power has been passed down from many generations before.

"Ivie!" Vanessa says excitedly like she hasn't seen her in weeks. "Adrian." Vanessa nods her head in greeting, almost reluctantly.

Adrian wonders what he ever did to her to get that reaction. "Vanessa. Selynn." Adrian replies stiffly, confused at why they would be acting this way.

Ivie shoots Adrian a sharp glare, warning him to be nicer to her friends. What's gotten into them?

After a minute of awkward silence, Selynn decides to speak up. "You were supposed to call us back. You promised to help us practice."

Adrian's brows furrow in confusion, but his face quickly smooths out as he understands. "Oh. Sorry, I forgot about that." Adrian was supposed to help Vanessa and Selynn practice magic.

Vanessa waves her hand dismissively in the air. "It's fine. John texted me this morning offering to help out with practice. Then I can help Selynn."

Adrian stiffens at the fact that he's been replaced that easily. How could Adrian not be needed?

Adrian mentally shakes that off. This is for the best. Adrian didn't have a lot of time to help others anyway.

Adrian wants to spend as much time as he can with Ivie before he has to leave town for work. Adrian has a feeling that he'll have a job soon, since it's been awhile since the last one. The Cloud World Council usually doesn't wait this long to give him a new job.

But doing this for Vanessa and Selynn would've been good for Adrian. Ivie would see that Adrian is making an effort to be nice to her friends.

"Well if you change your mind, I'd be glad to help. I know a thing or two about magic." Considering how many times magic has been used against Adrian during his jobs, he definitely knows.

"We'll remember that." Vanessa says with an eyeroll. Selynn catches that and smiles, but Ivie doesn't seem like she noticed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Adrian asks playfully, crossing his arms but not actually getting offended.

"It means what I said. I have to get to class." Vanessa says with a huge smile. She must really enjoy trying to rile up Adrian. Fortunately for everyone, it's not going to work this time.

Vanessa walks away with Selynn close behind, presumably towards their lockers with their schedules and locker numbers for this year in hand.

"I better go too." Ivie says, disappointing Adrian.

"What? How will I get to the office to get my schedule?" Adrian asks as Ivie is slowly backing away.

"The office is that way." Ivie points down one of the few halls. The school isn't that big because it's a small town.

Ivie is backing away faster now, about to disappear into the crowd that's rushing around, either getting breakfast or heading to their lockers.

"Why isn't it by the front doors?" Adrian calls out to Ivie, raising his voice slightly so she'll hear.

"It is." Ivie answers, completely disappearing from Adrian's view.

"Oh." Adrian mutters to himself. Adrian thought the front was in the opposite direction.

Adrian must not have been paying attention when he came in. Adrian was focused on finding Ivie. But he came in with Monique... Where is Monique?

Adrian quickly scans the crowd throughout the cafeteria. Adrian doesn't see Monique anywhere. Oops. Adrian brushes that away. If Monique can fight off whatever demons she goes around killing for her job, she can find her way around a school.

Although Adrian is clearly having a bit of trouble in that area, and he's over 300 years old. Adrian chides himself silently as he turns to the hallway that Ivie had pointed at.

Adrian takes one step forward, then someone runs into him. It was unexpected so Adrian stumbles back a step.

Adrian doesn't bother saying sorry because it wasn't his fault.

"Aren't you going to say sorry, pretty boy?" The guy asks, causing Adrian to look over at him.

"I wasn't planning on it." Adrian replies in a deadpan, straightening up and shifting his backpack on his shoulder to assure that it stays there.

The guy who purposely ran into Adrian is as big as you ever see a high school student get. His muscles stand out on his arms, showing that he's stronger than most of the guys here.

Adrian predicts he'll see this guy out on the field with the rest of the football team and in the weights room. No one can get that big without lifting weights. He has what looks like a permanent sneer on his face. So not attractive. How will the guy get girls? The correct answer is: he probably won't. He doesn't seem like the "sweet deep down" kind of guy.

Adrian fights the urge to grin at his joke. The guy stands up straight defensively like Adrian just did. He's half an inch to an inch taller than Adrian, but that doesn't worry Adrian. Neither does all the muscle. Because Adrian knows he can take this guy down in a heartbeat. Not his own, because Adrian's doesn't beat.

Adrian's heart usually isn't beating, besides the times he's had to fake being a werewolf or a human around supernaturals. The dumb teenage guy filled with testosterone in front of him definitely isn't supernatural. And neither is the rest of the student body. So Adrian doesn't bother forcing his heart to beat here.

"What did you just say?" The guy asks, taking an angry step towards Adrian with his two buddies one step behind.

They're not as big as the first guy, and Adrian knows he could take down all three of them, but Adrian is trying not to start any trouble.

The first guy, Adrian decides he'll call him Sneer, blows a big puff of air right into Adrian's face. This reminds Adrian of an animated bull, which is what Sneer looks like, complete with furious air coming out his nose and red air coming from his ears.

This can't be good.

"I asked you for an apology." Sneer says, glaring at Adrian with his angry beady eyes.

"I don't believe I owe you one." Adrian says with a clenched jaw. Adrian manages to keep his hands slack at his sides so as not to threaten the group of guys.

Sneer raises his hands and shoves at Adrian's shoulders, expecting him to fall to the ground from the force. Adrian takes one step back so that it's not as crazy that he didn't fall.

But this makes Sneer more furious than ever. Sneer swings at Adrian with his fist.

While Adrian ducks out of the way, he wonders why Sneer is so stupid that he'd start a fight in the middle of the cafeteria. He's obviously going to get in trouble for this. Adrian grabs at his backpack to make sure it stays on his shoulder. Wouldn't want to drop it, forget it's there, then foolishly trip on it.

"Hey!" Sneer grunts out when he misses Adrian. "Hold him." Sneer orders the guys standing behind him.

People are starting to notice the fight. Adrian wishes everyone would just go away so he could beat the guy, but he won't do that. Adrian has enough self control not to hurt some moron that's only fighting because he's a big bully.

But it's hard not to let his fangs out and his eyes glow red. The stupid bully in front of Adrian would probably pee himself if Adrian showed who he is deep down. But Adrian restrains himself from showing his vampire side. Restraint is key in this situation.

Adrian backs up a few steps but keeps a defiant look on his face to show no fear. Now Adrian curls his hands into fists to show he won't go down without a fight.

"Not here, Rus." One of the guys says.

Sneer, or apparently Rus, spares a glance towards his friends. This Rus guy seems to have at least a little sense in his hard skull because he backs down.

"We're not done here. I'll see you after school." Rus tells Adrian. Yeah right. Adrian thinks to himself. There's no way he's going to meet this guy for his entertainment. Adrian can't afford to be getting into trouble on his first day at school about something so ludicrous.

And Adrian doesn't want to be responsible for this guy's death. Well yes, Adrian does kind of want to kill Rus right now or at least teach him a lesson, but Adrian won't do that.

Rus will probably do something to get himself into jail sooner or later, so Adrian will let him keep living his pathetic existence. What's the point in bullying anyway? No one needs that in their life.

Maybe Adrian will teach Rus a lesson, just so he'll stop bullying people.

Adrian smirks as Rus and his buddies walk away. A couple of people look at Adrian with worry, either for the fact that Rus said he'll see Adrian after school or because they think Adrian's crazy for smiling. Adrian really isn't sure and he doesn't care all that much.

Adrian decides to forget about the incident for now, heading in the direction of the office. Adrian's going to grab his schedule and locker number, then go to class. That seems like the best option here.

//////////////////

"Did you hear about the fight Adrian got into right after you left him alone this morning?" Vanessa leans over in her desk so Ivie will hear her.

"What? No. What happened?" Ivie whisper shouts in shock. Fight? What fight? Did everyone see his vampire side and attack him with stakes???

"It's a rumor, so it's probably not true." Vanessa says, not wanting to be one of those girls that start fights because of a rumor. But Vanessa thinks Ivie should know about the fight if it really did happen.

Ivie makes a "go on" gesture and gives Vanessa a pointed look. The bell could ring for third period any minute and they'd have to discuss this later. But Ivie doesn't want to wait.

"I heard that Rus bumped into him, so Adrian shoved him. Rus was going to attack Adrian but his friend Drew stopped him so they wouldn't get in trouble. Rus told Adrian to meet him after school then Adrian accepted the challenge." Vanessa explains.

"Oh my-" Ivie doesn't finish her sentence because the bell rings just then.

The teacher stands and announces that class is beginning.

What has Adrian got himself into? And on the first day of school!

Ivie wonders to herself how she can be with someone who always starts fights. First Adrian fought with Lucas and Mason, and know he fights with some random guy he doesn't even know?

Ivie finds herself pondering her relationship with Adrian. Is it really a good idea to be with Adrian?

------------------------------------
A/N:
Date 4-16-17

Hey everyone! First of all, thanks for reading this chapter.

Second of all, I was tagged the other day by @beebboob

So here's 13 facts about myself.

1. I have brown hair with a bit of blond (although everyone says my hair is a mixed brown and red) and brown eyes. I don't die my hair.

2. I live in Missouri and I haven't lived in any other state since I was a baby.

3. I'm a cat person. Sorry to all the dog lovers out there. It's just my preference.

4. I do my best writing and reading at night. That's the only time my house is quiet.

5. I have 3 siblings. One is older than me and she moved out. The other two are younger than me. My parents are in the middle of divorcing right now.

6. My favorite artist right now is Halsey. I love her new song "Now or Never" Before I became obsessed with her a few months ago I was listening to High School Musical because I didn't learn the songs when the movies came out :P

7. I'm not a very social person. I don't like getting into social hierarchy or drama at school.

8. I had braces for almost 3 years and now I wear a retainer at night.

9. I used to always be outside, but now I stay inside. I occasionally go outside on my trampoline with my little sister and brother.

10. I don't have TV or internet at my house. Wattpad wouldn't be possible for me if I didn't own my smartphone that has data.

11. I would die without music. I'm constantly listening to music. When I clean, I'm doing homework, if I'm at school, or if I'm typing a story. I'm usually listening to music. (I've also been in choir since 4th grade)

12. I've written a few stories that I didn't put on Wattpad. One is a story that I wrote around the time I was 8 and it's an awful story. The other is a vampire story that I'm debating whether I should share. You tell me, should I put the vampire story on Wattpad? It's a complete story about a telepath.

13. Wattpad is the best thing that's happened for me in a long time. It makes me feel like I have a purpose and will actually get somewhere in my life. So thanks for that :)

Okay, that's 13 facts about me. Now I will tag:

@MileyMcconnell
@Bailey1999546

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

184K 4.4K 16
*****This was written in 2014, it is VERY poorly written and needs unpublished. My writing style has changed dramatically but I'm keeping it as some...
11.3K 375 39
*Read The Beginning {Book One} To understand the story line* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ After the events of the first book. Gabby is now faced with a dif...
33.1K 1K 46
The events that happened with Jackson and Gerard had gone, and everything worked out as planned. Scott and his friends could now live a normal mortal...
7.6K 368 41
Milli and Adrian are TWINS . They are also the powerful and only TRIBRID'S ever lived . But Milli's magic creates more problems. Their family is be...