The Numbered

By bnlfan

Imagine the second you're born, a consultant removes you from your mother's grasp and runs a battery of genet... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter fifty-one
Chapter Fifty-two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six : TUCKER
Chapter Sixty-Seven : HANNAH
Chapter Sixty- Eight: DIANA
Chapter Sixty-Nine: SCOTT
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
To Splinter A Soul
Update - June 2019

Chapter Forty-Two

60K 3.7K 500
By bnlfan

"Where's my mother?"

"What?" he asked, looking from Hannah to the empty, white vinyl bed. He entered the room.

"You said she was here."

"She was...," he checked his watch, "two hours ago

"Well, where is she?"

"I don't know?"

"Maybe she woke up and they've taken her somewhere." Hannah said excitedly.

"No, that's impossible; she had at least another four hours of logging off. Look, wait here a minute, I'll be right back."

Scott left, leaving Hannah alone. She searched around; looking for signs her mother had been there. Maybe she's been moved to another room.

He burst back through the door.

"Hannah we have to go. Now!"

"Have you found her?"

"Yes and no, I'll tell you later, but we have to go now. The guards and the team are on their way back in."

"But..."

"Hannah, you have to do as I say. Things aren't looking good for any of us right now, especially for your mum."

"Hannah, we have to go," urged Tucker, who appeared in the door way. "Please," he mouthed.

She nodded and reluctantly followed Scott out of the room and they hurried down the corridor.

"Zeke, you and Tucker try for the service exit. We'll go back up."

Zeke nodded.

"Hannah, stay safe, I'll see you later." He kissed her on the cheek and then ran off after Zeke.

Hannah and Scott followed down the corridor, Scott limping a little. They went through the final door and Scott turned and pushed it shut, it sealed with a hiss. Hannah reached the stairs first and they started their ascent, Hannah climbed three steps at a time, but Scott took them cautiously, frequently glancing back. One floor up, they heard voices below and froze.

"Complete the initial analysis and let me have a report by nine tomorrow. Briggs isn't going to like to wait on this." A man's voice echoed around the stairwell.

"What about the woman?" A second man's voice could be heard this time.

"Keep her under for another twenty- four hours. Try to focus in on the list and the names on it. Who gave her the list and who she gave it to?

"The list might not be of any relevance, just a simple coincidence?"

"There are no such things as coincidences here. Three names cropping up, two on our watch list and one a little closer to home; I don't think that's a coincidence do you? This information is now Level Ten classified. It goes no further, do you understand?"

"Yes, Sir."

They waited for the sound of the door closing again before Scott and Hannah set off up the stairs.

"What were they talking about?" Hannah asked breathlessly, Scott now seeming to forget about his injury, forged ahead at a desperate pace.

"Later, Hannah," he replied effortlessly, his breathing unaltered by the exertion.

A list, what list? Were they even talking about her mum?

"Oh no!" Hannah stopped, placed her hands on her hips and bent over, taking a deep breath as her thoughts seemed to rearrange themselves, like jigsaw puzzle pieces magically assembling themselves.

"What?" Scott shouted down to her. He came to an abrupt stop almost a single flight higher than she was.

The list! Surely not the note her mother had given to her just a few weeks ago? She still hadn't had the guts to even open it yet. But what if it wasn't a letter, what if it was something else? I need to get home and get it before...

"Hannah, what is it?" Scott's tone all along had been quite calm and measured considering the circumstances, now it screamed with concern or frustration; both.

Hannah peered at him through the metal bars which supported the hand rail, but avoided eye contact.

"It's nothing, a stitch that's all. Just keep going."

Scott gave her one of his calculating stares, as if he was silently reading something written all over her face.

"Keep up," he said and set off again.

Hannah now climbed the steps with a renewed vigour, knowing exactly what she would do next. As they rounded the last flight to floor eleven, they heard people coming up the stairs behind them. The sound of cheerful, laughing voices travelled up and echoed around them.

"Did you see Briggs face?" One of them said. "Looked like he was gonna blow a gasket having to stand outside in the cold with us mere mortals.

"Shh!" said another, "you could get reported for mocking our great leader." More laughter followed.

Trying not to make a sound, Scott opened the door onto the eleventh floor corridor and put his head round.

"Clear," he said and went through. Hannah hated going back to that room. Her palms felt clammy at the thought.

"We will talk later Hannah, but first we need to get you into your room," he whispered.

They went through the double doors that had given Hannah and Tucker cover earlier. Room two-fifty was just ahead and Hannah hoped that it would be as empty as she left it. As they walked past room two-four-nine, the door swung open and out walked a man in uniform, holding a woman's hand. Hannah dropped her eyes to the floor as the couple laughed at a private joke.

"Andrews, explain yourself," Scott exploded.

The couple pulled apart sheepishly and Hannah looked away.

"You were assigned to guard Miss Page's room and yet when I came to check, you are not at your post." Scott sounded utterly convincing and scary as hell.

"Sorry, Sir. I..."

"Actually I don't want to hear your excuses. You also did not vacate the premises during the alarm, which as you know is against Council rules, article fifty-three, section ninety-eight, sub-section four. You will be sanctioned severely for this. Now remove yourself and your 'friend' from this floor."

"Yes, Sir."

The woman then offered a quiet apology. There was something so familiar about her voice. Hannah looked up and knew why. It was Gloria Weston, the immaculate receptionist, whose name and the image of her claw-like nails were forever burnt on Hannah's mind. The same woman who'd treated her so badly on the day of her SPR review. Today however, Gloria looked far from immaculate; her brown curly hair was dishevelled and her white shirt creased and untucked. The woman stared menacingly at her. Hannah puffed out her chest, held back her shoulders and stared right back. For the first time in a long time Hannah felt a little enjoyment.

"On your way." Scott instructed.

The couple scurried off down the corridor.

"Gloria," Hannah called after them. The man walked on, but the woman froze and turned slowly.

"Your skirt is inside out," Hannah said with a sweet, smile. Gloria's face reddened and her hands curled into fists.

"And you have a run in your stockings." A strangled cry came from Gloria as she stormed off after Andrews, stumbling twice in her ridiculously high heeled shoes.

"Enjoying yourself?" Scott asked with a bemused smile on his face.

"No!" Hannah retorted, but couldn't hide the slight smirk on her face

Scott swiped the grey card and the door to room two-fifty opened. He entered followed by Hannah.

"Ah, there you both are," said a voice from the corner of the room.

Hannah looked from Briggs, who was leaning against the wall with the window, to Scott and back again.

"I was about to send a search party out for you." Briggs smiled at Hannah and then looked pointedly at Scott.

"We've only just got back into the building," Scott replied to Briggs unspoken question.

"And where is Andrews? His name is on the duty roster."

"Sir, when the alarm triggered I came to check that he'd evacuated Hannah. When I arrived Hannah was still here and Andrews was absent from his post. It appears he was detained elsewhere. I decided to escort her from the building via the rear exit myself."

Briggs held his thumb under his chin and tapped his lips with his index finger while he seemed to silently appraise the Agent.

"Do we know why the alarm was triggered?"

"The alarm notification system detected an unusually high temperature in one of the sensors, most likely and electrical fault I'm told. For some reason we are having a few issues this morning. All of the surveillance cameras are currently out of action too. Where's Matheson?"

"On a recce; I sent a small team to patrol the area just in case the alarm was actually another attempt on our security. I believe he's on his way back in now."

"Good" Briggs rubbed his hands appearing to be satisfied with Scott's responses and turned to Hannah who had to remind herself to breathe. "Hannah, please take a seat."

She nodded and sat down at the table. Briggs moved across the room and sat opposite her.

"How are you today, Hannah?"

Are you kidding me? "I am very well, thank you."

"Good, good. So I thought I'd give you an update on... your adoptive parents," Briggs said it as if he had a nasty taste in his mouth.

"Thank you." Hannah.

"Both your parents have complied fully with our interview process and I am pleased to say that your father will be leaving tonight. As a good will gesture to you, I have arranged for alternative accommodation for him, due to some unfortunate damage to his house."

Scott and Briggs seemed to lie so effortlessly. Hannah knew she was going to have to put on a performance of equal measure if she was to get out.

"Thank you General Briggs, I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear that, but what about my mother?"

"I'm afraid your mother has taken ill. She seems to have contracted a very nasty virus, so I have decided that she will remain under our exemplary medical care until she is better."

"Can I see her?"

"No, I'm afraid not, Hannah. She is really very poorly and has been placed in quarantine. The doctors have assured me, if all goes she should be clear to return home by the end of the week.

Liar

"Will you please send her my love?" Briggs nodded. "So, can I go and visit my father?"

"Of course you can, Hannah, but not just yet."

She was desperate to ask why and knew he was just waiting for her to ask. So she fought off the urge, looking him straight in the eye.

"Can I go home to my parents then please?"

Briggs tensed and went to argue back.

"Diana and John's house that is. I am ashamed to I haven't been particularly nice to them over the last few weeks and I would like to make amends."

Scott, who had moved over to look out of the window, turned and looked at her with wide eyes. Briggs appeared delighted.

"Hannah, I can't tell you how pleased I am to hear you say that. I completely understand how difficult this transitional phase has been for you. Scott, see to it that Hannah returns home straight away."

"Yes, Sir."

"Hannah, I have a meeting to go to now, but I will see you in two days. You and I have a very important task ahead of us."

"And what task is that General Briggs?"

"In a few days I will be making a general state address on a very important matter and you dear girl, my inspiration, will be by my side. But enough of that for now, let's get you home and, Hannah, I insist that you call me Michael from now on.

"Thank you, Michael." She said, a large smile beaming across her face. She actually felt pain contorting her face in such way to please him. But for now she was free, free to go home and find the list and free to find out what her mother had to do with all of this. Parting with a smile for this man, was a small price to pay.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

222K 19.9K 42
Felix Reynolds, a university student with a sixth sense, has to uncover the truth about the past he has no memory of in order to unravel what really...
125K 3.6K 93
https://m.shubaow.net/175/175017_1/#all Lin An, an apocalyptic young man with supernatural powers, was reborn before returning to the apocalypse. He...
3.6K 115 17
โ› ๐™‡๐™ค๐™จ๐™ฉ ๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™– ๐™ฌ๐™ค๐™ง๐™ก๐™™ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™™๐™ค๐™š๐™จ๐™ฃ'๐™ฉ ๐™š๐™ญ๐™ž๐™จ๐™ฉ. เผ‰โ€งโ‚Šหšโœง ๐Ÿ•Š โ› In whitch a insecure, flawed girl named Nancy gets chosen to be guardian...
737K 16.9K 23
(WARNING! Don't read this peace of crap! I made it up when I was.. like... 14? Still, it sucks 'cause I didn't give a shit about grammar but now I do...