Rebelling Against The Rebelli...

By MysticMayhemx

The Hunger Games are over, but that doesn't mean Katniss' story is over. She grew up... Lived her life being... More

Chapter One: White Primrose [Construction: Done]
Chapter Two: Unwanted Birthday Surprise
Chapter Three: The Three Banned Words
Chapter Four: Attacker
Chapter Five: Johanna Mason
Chapter Six: Long Distance Friendship
Chapter Seven: A Love That Never Dies
Chapter Eight: Make Me Proud, Sweetheart
Chapter Nine: Confidence Is The Key
Chapter Ten: The Reek Of Death
Chapter Eleven: Falling Katniss'
Chapter Twelve: The Man Who Makes The Eyes
Chapter Thirteen: Lights Out
Chapter Fourteen: Three Bullets
Chapter Fifteen: A Golden Life
Chapter Sixteen: Two fighting dogs, one clueless man, and a cripple.
Chapter Seventeen: Eye Of The Pilots
Chapter Eighteen: Paper Skin
Chapter Twenty: For Prim
Chapter Twenty One: The Lost Duo
Twenty Two: The Aftermath
UPDATE/NOTICE! PLEASE READ!

Chapter Nineteen: Arrow Head

3K 24 15
By MysticMayhemx

Livestock. Everything from the farms to the bits of city wreaked with the smell of dead animals. I'd rather be back in the arena then stand the smell of rotting corpses. We entered District 10 early this morning - arriving before the sun rised. Johanna was oddly quiet instead of bickering or snapping sarcastic comments. Whatever happened last night between Grayson and her obviously stuck. Usually Grayson would be chatting along with Gale, but today he is standing side by side with Johanna. Even though they said not a word, it looks as if something went on. I wish I was there to tell the tale. Unfortunately, I was teaching two grown men how to fry fruit. You would think Peeta would be able to handle food since he practically grew up baking. Wrong. Not even Gale knew to peel the skin off before bringing the fruit to the fire. Luckily, I saved us from eating burned apples and saggy apricots. 

The sky is marked with murky purple pastel colors, the sun slowly rising to provide us light. District 10 is almost a replica of 11, except for the lack of crops and an increasing amount of farming land. Everything here seems to be good - there is civilization, healthy animals, wide open area's of land and most importantly, an extreme amount of ignorance. From what this place looks like, we can all easily tell that these people are oblivious to what is happening around the higher districts. It is our job to inform them, but since what happened last time, I'm having second thoughts on that. 

"So what's the plan here?" Peeta asks, nipping a bite into a juicy looking pear. I heaved a long sigh, my eyes scanning the farm land, wondering how we're going to spread the word. "I was hoping you had some idea's" I mutter hopelessly, swinging my braid around with my fingers. At the corner of my eyes, Peeta casts a small smirk and looks away from me in thought. "Well I'm sure everyone here know's who you are" he says, taking another bite. "All we have to do is gather people around... you know, a really big group. There we can explain and hopefully not get attacked by eyeless creeps." 

"And what about the 'Pilots'?" I ask, taking a glance over at him. 

"That's a risk we're going to have to take.." Peeta focus's his gaze on me, his blue eyes glimmering in the rising sunlight. "You're the leader here, Katniss. It's up to you... Besides, for all we know, those Pilots might not even be here." Grayson suddenly turned his head to look back at us, his eyebrows furrowed and curious. He swings back to Johanna, mutters something in her ear and walks away from her, moving to us. 

"Making a plan, hm?" Grayson questions, now striding beside me. 

"Somewhat" Peeta nods, finishing his pear and throwing the corpse on the floor. 

"We're brain basically brain storming here" I add in with a dry tone, wishing we could be over with this and head back home to Haymitch and our kids. Don't get me wrong, I want this whole thing to be fixed and finished, but I also wish I never left. "Let me hear some idea's". 

Peeta opens his mouth to speak, but I rudefully cut him off. "But first.." I begin, stopping Grayson in his tracks. "What happened last night between you and - " I nod my head over at Johanna " - you know who?" Peeta cracks a chuckle and stops with us as well, waiting for an answer. Grayson looks from me to Peeta with a playful scowl, shaking his head from side to side, emitting a light chuckle. "None of your business." 

"Oh it is too my business" I laugh, poking his chest. "Johanna is one of my good friends. I have the right to know." 

"Then ask her yourself" Grayson shrugs, flicking my finger off his upper body. "Now, back to more important  things... Let me hear your idea's." 

All three of us began walking again down the long path that stretched into the upcoming city. Peeta explained his idea, and Grayson instantly agreed. "We'll have to do it somewhere public" Grayson explains, fixing his belt that holds multiple knives and various weapons. "And if those Pilots come then we'll slice 'em up. Simple as that." 

"Easier to be said then done" I point out, swiftly snatching a blade from Grayson's belt. "We don't know how many there could be." 

"Does it matter?" Peeta asks, taking the knife from me. He slyly throws the blade in the air and catches it without hurting himself. "You're a professional when it comes to weapons." I guess he is right. I never had a problem with dealing with foreign weapons. My main weapon choice is a bow and arrow... bow and arrow.. 

That's when I realize. I came to a sudden halt, threw off my backpack and wrenched it open, finding my bow and arrow Beetee made me. "Oh my god!" I exclaim, completely jaw dropped. "I forgot I brought this!" 

"Wh-What?" Both Peeta and Grayson turned around, looking startled. Peeta slaps his hand over his forehead and Grayson flashes a smug grin. "The bow and arrow you almost killed me with? You brought it?" 

"I...I guess so" I say, snatching the bow and arrow out of the bag. Johanna and Gale realize we aren't behind them and stride backwards up to us. 

"What now?" Johanna groans, crossing her arms over her chest. Her eyes narrow into tight slits when she notices my bow and arrow - a devious grin capturing her sharp features. "You brought it with you?" 

"I don't remember bringing it with me... But I guess I did, yeah" I say, pushing a few strands of hair behind my ear. 

"That's because you didn't" Peeta retorts, kneeling down beside me. He grabs a couple of fire arrows, observing their extreme tip. I give Peeta an odd look, not sure of what he was trying to point out. "You could thank me later" he says with a small smirk. I instantly grab him in a bear hug, squeezing his insides out. How could I have forgotten my bow? This whole journey I haven't even took thought in my main weapon. 

"Are you serious!?" Johanna exclaims, flailing her hands up in the air. "You could of used that to kill the eyeless people... Or murder those underground people who make those mutants!" 

"I forgot I put it in her bag" Peeta explains, slapping his forehead once more. 

"Nice going, dickwad" Johanna grumbles, kicking a couple of pebbles on the trail. "After all this time.." 

"I know, I know - " 

"This is perfect" I pitch in, standing up with my bow hanging on my arm. "It doesn't matter if I didn't have it before. We got through, right?" 

"I guess.." Johanna mumbles, walking around in small circles, looking bored. I'm still asking myself why I brought her here in the first place. She's a good tribute to our team, but her bitterness is beyond extreme. "Peeta, thank you" I say again, wrapping an arm around his waste. This trip will be going a whole lot smoother with my bow... But still, how did I even think about leaving it behind? No one even reminded me. 

"Test that baby out" Gale says all to excitedly, his eyes sparking with enthusiasm. What do I have to lose, right? Swinging the bow off my shoulder, I grab a regular arrow and place it in the thread of my bow, taking direct aim at a old picket fence on my left. I squint my eyes, keeping hold of the arrow for a few seconds before letting go, watching the arrow bounce off the thread and shoot like a bullet down the grassy lands. The arrow picks right into the center of the fence as if it were a target. Grayson and Gale wolf-whistled as Peeta applauded. Johanna suddenly cracked another devious smirk. 

"Hand me an axe and I'll have you all bowing down to me". 

Everyone burst out laughing, including myself. It's true... Johanna is a pro when it comes to axe's. That's how she won the Hunger Games herself. She played as a weakling... A person know one took notice in. When it came down to the final tributes, Johanna went all out and slashed everyone with her axe. If that's not clever, then I don't know what is. 

"This is perfect" Grayson says, clapping his hands together. "Now the people will defiantly care about what you have to say. No doubt about it." With that, we all began walking again, pacing faster then ever. My bow is dangling from my arm, safe and secure with it's right full owner. I'm still shocked with myself for forgetting it. I'm surprised the whole bow fit in my bag. Beetee made is specially to fold into two when packing it away. Ah, Beetee. Always one step ahead. 

Eventually we make it into the central town. Vegetable and food markets scatter around the area along with shops and a few high buildings. This place is nothing like a real city though. It mainly resembles a old fashioned town square. People walk around, chatting with one another, not even noticing the group of us. This is going to be harder then I thought. After years passed, not many people will remember who I am. Yeah, I saved this whole damn country from falling into pieces. But hey, people have other things on their mind like wondering how much milk coast. Yep. Totally ungrateful. 

Some people eye my bow and arrow, probably wondering why a random girl is walking into their district with a weapon. "Katniss" Peeta hisses, nudging my arm. I turn my head to face him, giving him my full attention. "We could climb up there so everyone can see you." Peeta points to a set of stairs that lead straight to District Ten's Justice building. Now that I notice, District Eleven never rebuilt a new Justice building. What was the point? It's not like their is anymore Hunger Games... or are there? 

The sudden thought sends chills down my back. What if Paylor is planning to recreate The Hunger Games? What if she already started and I had no idea? She wouldn't... She can't! She was an amazing president. But now, my trust in her has completely drowned and died away. 

Before I even realize, we are standing before the majestic looking Justice building - the only building here that looks like an actual building if I do say so myself. "On you go, hero"Johanna snickers. "Just make it quick - we have a schedule to run on." I nod once, lifting myself up on the Justice Building platform. Already some eyes drift onto me. Peeta steps up beside me along with Gale on the other side. If this isn't awkward, I don't know what is. I'm known for saving the country. Peeta's known for doing the same. And Gale... Gale is known for blowing up the hero's sister. I wouldn't be surprised if he received any hate mail. 

This is going to be hard without any type of microphone. I awkwardly cough under my breath, knowing it wont get anyone's attention but I might as well try, right? No response. 

"Uh, hello" I say in a loud voice - obviously not loud enough. "Hello... Guys... -" 

"LISTEN UP!" Johanna yells from below the building. Everyone stops in their tracks and stare at us. Johanna glances up at the three of us and flashes a sweet smile and a thumbs up. 

"Alright" I began, doing my best to amplify my voice. "Can I have everyone's attention? And when I say that, I'm talking about you guys... yeah you, the one's in the back. Stop talking for a second." The group of people who were talking quiet down. "Okay, I'm only going to say this once. Most of you here know who I - " 

"The Mockinjay" a man says in awe in the front. Many people begin to chatter again. 

"Yeah and I'm sort of - " 

"Isn't that Peeta? Her husband?" 

"I think it is!" 

"There are made for one another" 

"He's pretty damn sexy" 

"HEY!" I call out, cupping my hands over my mouth to amplify my voice. From behind, I can hear Peeta snickering away. "This is honestly no time to talk about Peeta and his..uh.. "sexiness"...There are more important matters." 

"As in?" the girl who called Peeta sexy asks in the crowd.

"Well for one thing, I don't know if any of you noticed, but President Paylor has recreated the Capitol and what they used to do.. They are torturing the higher districts. The one's who used to be rich and well fed... Now they are hungry and dying." 

"And what's that to us, huh?" the girl sneers, her freckled face casting a scowl. 

"Are you even listening?" Gale speaks up, sounding completely blown away. "She is creating something we destroyed for a reason." 

"Doesn't seem like it" the girls friend joins in, the same ignorant look on her face. "We're all fine." 

"But they aren't" Peeta insists, stepping up. "We need to send out a warning. District Eleven is ruined. There are people... who are probably going to come here next. They're called Pilots." 

Laughter instantly erupts in the audience. There ignorance is becoming ridiculous. There is no proof for me to state. How can I get these people to believe me? To believe us? 

"And what do these 'Pilots' do, Mr. All Knowing" the girl says, crossing her arms over her chest. This sadly reminds me of Johanna. She has both the bitterness and stubbornness.

"Take your eyeballs" I say as loud as possible. "Yeah, your eyeballs. So if you want to keep your eyes, I suggest all of you shut up and start taking us seriously." 

That's when everyone shuts up and listens. "Now..." I begin. "This is just a warning. When Paylor does come...well, if she comes, then you need to fight back. She's a lier and a cheater. She is not the person you think she is. Believe me." Most people nod. The rest scan the area, looking as if they would want to be anywhere but here. 

"Please, just keep what we are saying in mind. We need to fight back." 

"How do we know you're the real Mockinjay, huh?" a man in the crowd calls out. Is he serious right now? Blinking cluelessly, I raise my eyebrows. "Excuse me?" 

"How do we know you are the real Mockinjay? For all we know you can be a fake." I can't help but laugh at this guy. Other people in the audience begin to agree... And I thought District 11 was bad. District 10 obviously has an attitude problem. Johanna would fit in perfectly with these fellows. Peeta opens his mouth to defend me but I quickly jump in. "You're ignorance is above and beyond, you know that?" I begin to walk around the stage, shaking my head slowly. "But hey, you want proof? Fine." Instantly, I whip out my bow, grab an arrow and set it neatly in the thread. I pull back on the thread with as much force as possible, squinting my eyes for a better view of my target. I bite down on my lip, concentrating hard before sending the arrow off. It flies out of my grasp and soars through the air, pinning the mans hat right off his head. Yells and screams echo around the crowd; the man whimpering, thinking I hit actually hit him. "Is that good enoguh proof for you?" With that, I jump off the stage of the Justice building, landing directly on my feet. 

"Thank you for your consideration" I say with as much attitude as I can pull together. I then take a small bow and push my way through the crowd, without being dismissed. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 4.3K 23
~ a Hunger Games fanfiction ~ In Mockingjay, the victors decided to hold one last Hunger Games using only Capitol children. When President Coin was m...
129K 4.1K 44
"...the other Capitol Darling. Incredibly popular in the Capitol they love her here, she has been a favourite of many for years. Charismatic, charmin...
43.5K 797 25
Two district 4 citizens trying to survive in Panem as victors with an unspoken love dwindling between them. She tries her best to not let her love fo...
41K 1.2K 35
This story takes place between the last page in Mockingjay and the Epilogue. The Capitol has FINALLY left Katniss and Peeta alone, or have they? The...