In Consequence

Av TrudysTattle

A fateful event awakens hidden attraction, and fleeting tenderness grows steadily into love when a single imp... Mer

In Consequence - Prologue
In Consequence - Chapter 1
In Consequence - Chapter 2
In Consequence - Chapter 3
In Consequence - Chapter 4
In Consequence - Chapter 5
In Consequence - Chapter 6
In Consequence - Chapter 7
In Consequence - Chapter 8
In Consequence - Chapter 9
In Consequence - Chapter 10
In Consequence - Chapter 12
In Consequence - Chapter 13
In Consequence - Chapter 14
In Consequence - Chapter 15
In Consequence - Chapter 16
In Consequence - Chapter 17
In Consequence - Chapter 18
In Consequence - Chapter 19
In Consequence - Chapter 20
Epilogue

In Consequence - Chapter 11

11.7K 124 24
Av TrudysTattle

Margaret sat alone in the half-filled church on Sunday morning. The grand vaulted ceilings and massive stone columns made the mortals quietly seated within the cavernous structure seem small and insignificant. Stained-glass windows illuminated the walls with intricate patterns of color and light, brightening the somber atmosphere with multi-faceted rays of hope.

For the first time since she had moved to this dark, soot-tarnished town, she felt a semblance of peace. Weary of trying to make sense of the changes thrust upon her by her father’s own doubts, she began to believe there had been a purpose to all of the struggles she had endured. A strain of gratitude swelled in her breast and her features lifted in glad response. She had been brought to Milton to find him. Amid all the eager ambition and bleak striving of this place, she had been led to John Thornton - a man as sturdy and solid as the granite hills, but with a heart as true and noble as any she had ever known. She would not have found him in London or Hampshire. It was Milton that had molded him to the man he was, where he had struggled and grown into the full stature of manhood. She would not find his like in all of England.

She loved him. The thought of it struck her anew, filling her with awe. How it had all unfolded to her she could scarcely describe. And when she considered how all of the Milton girls must have undoubtedly cast their eyes his way, it seemed a thing incredible to her that he had chosen her to be his wife.

A shiver traced her spine at the thought of becoming his - body and soul. She shook herself back from her distraction and with mighty effort endeavored to bring her attention back to the vicar’s echoing speech.

*********

Mr. Thornton sat in impassive stillness on the long wooden pew next his mother’s rigid form. From the corner of his eye, he spied Fanny’s gloved hands fidgeting restlessly in her lap. His lips twitched. Everything was the same as it had been for years. His family occupied the same seat each Sunday, following the same familiar routine with every passing season. His existence had been an undeviating pattern of work and obligation, and he had been satisfied to build a respectable home for his mother and sister.

He could no longer endure such an existence. All his former peace, his staid plans and hopes had been upturned and tangled with the appearance of one who revealed the promise of a life so beautiful he hardly dared believe it might be his.

With Margaret’s acceptance of him, the future lay bright before him - days and years in which his home might be filled with tender affection, joy, and laughter. And someday, perhaps not so very far in the future, he might be surrounded by the boundless energy of children.

He felt the commensurate awe of this blessing, deeply grateful for this chance to live a lifetime of love. He knew not if she could ever love him with the depth of feeling that burned so powerfully in his own heart, but he was confident that he could earn her fond affection with his fervent attention. He was ready and eager to show her how complete his devotion was. He yearned to stand before God and man and take the vows that would make him her husband! The thought made him close his eyes to subdue the swell of passion that forced his chest to heave with impatient longing.

With a firmer resolution to keep his mind from straying, he opened his eyes. The solemn words of the sermon, a drone in his ears, once more became the intelligible speech of man’s purpose and place under God.

*****

That afternoon in the Hale’s drawing room, Margaret skimmed the same page of her book countless times without truly reading a word. Her mother was resting quietly on the sofa while her father read from one of his worn tomes. It took all of her determination to remain still and wait for Mr. Thornton’s arrival to take her on their promised walk.

A smile played upon her lips as she reflected upon the changes wrought in her demeanor. Impatient for his arrival, she could not even enjoy the leisure of a favorite pastime. And, although she was usually unconcerned about her appearance, she had taken particular care today to appear to her best advantage. She wore a sky blue day dress with a modest neckline that revealed the delicate white lace of her chemisette. Her hair was freshly washed and carefully coiffed upon her head; it gleamed with a reddish hue when occasional sunbeams glinted into the drawing room windows.

At the sound of the bell, she started and placed her book aside. Aware of her parents’ gaze, she restrained her zeal to abandon her seat and hasten to the entranceway to open the door.

She held her breath at the sight he presented. His tall hat accentuated his towering height and the patterned gray waistcoat and silver cravat he wore seemed to lift his ordinary appearance into something more dazzling. He had never seemed more handsome than at this moment; when his face broke into a gleaming smile, she felt her heart skip a beat.

A glow of tenderness swept over her features as she noted the basket of fruit he was carrying.

She ushered him into the house and looked on happily as her intended offered the sumptuous array of grapes, apples, and peaches to her mother. Mrs. Hale’s face illuminated as she received the basket. She enthused over the gift, very much pleased at his thoughtful consideration.

After exchanging a few more words with her parents, the young couple returned to the hallway where Margaret hastily put on her shawl and bonnet before they both started down the steps into the street.

Mr. Thornton beamed as she threaded her arm through his and they weaved through the traffic of people and carts as one. They talked of the weather and casual sundries as Mr. Thornton reveled in the privilege of escorting so beautiful and divine a creature.

Last night’s storm had brought a cooler breeze, ushering in September with a hint of autumn. Margaret listened carefully as Mr. Thornton explained that he had been grateful for the hot summer, as it had created more demand for cotton. She had never thought to link the seasons to the flow of his business and asked several probing questions concerning the general pattern of his work throughout the year.

“And have you been able to fill all your orders since the strike?” she asked with a slight furrow of her brow, remembering the pressing obligations he had mentioned at the Exhibition.

The corners of his mouth edged upward at her interest in the welfare of his business. “Time will tell if we can make good all our obligations,” he answered enigmatically with a slight sigh. “But we will try our best,” he added with serene confidence.

Margaret looked searchingly at his face and received a wry but warm smile in return for her concern.

He placed his free hand over the gloved hand that lightly gripped his arm and pressed it gently as he changed the subject to inquire about her London family.

Margaret replied readily that all was well at Harley Street, and they soon began to speak of the Exhibition’s success and the effect it might have to bring an end to the centuries of wars in Europe. Thoroughly engaged in their conversation, they were blithely unaware of the covert looks from passersby who had never seen the Master amble happily down the street with a handsome girl draped on his arm.

Mr. Thornton led her to a hill at the very edge of town that overlooked a plain where the river wended its way to the city. The smokestacks in the distance stood sentinel to the sleeping industry which, for one day each week, allowed the air to clear just enough for blue sky to appear in patches overhead.

The steady breeze that had cleared the oppressive skies of this outlying area, moved the pastel ribbons of Margaret’s un-tied bonnet so that they fluttered and danced about her face as they took in the sight of the open verdure below.

“Do you come here often?” Margaret inquired.

“Not often enough. Sometimes, when I grow weary of the sight of what man has made and long for a glimpse of what God has wrought,” he replied as his eyes reverently surveyed the wide expanse of greenery.

Margaret turned to study his reflective profile for a moment before returning her gaze to the view.

Mr. Thornton turned his attention to the girl from Hampshire. Her face, pink from the wind and their long walk, was even more beautiful in the natural light of this grand setting. He watched the breeze play with the loose tendrils of her hair as they brushed her cheek. She seemed a creature too exquisite to be housed in the gray gloom and crowded confines of this industrial town.

“Perhaps someday we could build our home here, so that you could enjoy the countryside,” he suggested, gesturing vaguely to the land near the river bend.

Margaret remained silent for a moment. The very thought of sharing a home with him made her nerves tingle, and she imagined living in such a secluded spot with romantic relish. “It would be lovely to have such a view, but it would not do for you to be so far from your work,” she answered thoughtfully, regarding him with slight confusion.

“I wish above all things for you to be happy,” he returned, a look of sincere concern etched on his brow.

“I believe I will be happy wherever we live,” she declared, wishing to erase those lines of worry from his face. She blushed to meet his incredulous gaze, averting her eyes for a moment before raising them again to his.

Her selfless answer moved him. His hope swelled at the promise of her contentment to be wedded to him. Unable to resist her any longer, he bent to gently press a single kiss on her lips.

“We shall be seen,” Margaret murmured as she opened her eyes to find him straightening himself.

He smiled. “There is no one about,” the Master assured her even as he furtively surveyed their surroundings.

Margaret met the glimmer in his eye with a twinkle in her own. She turned to lead them back toward town. “Perhaps in Milton there is a reckless disregard for propriety, but I assure you that in London there is the strictest adherence to rules of decorum,” she stated with haughty righteousness.

Mr. Thornton could not subdue a grin as he kept pace with her easy stride. “But you have professed a preference for Milton society,” he smartly reminded her.

She stifled a laugh at his quick rejoinder. “I have,” she admitted. “I’ve grown accustomed to your Milton ways; I believe they are much more forgiving of my impetuous habits and forthright nature.”

“I think, given time, you might pass muster as a true Darkshire lass,” he smugly mused.

“In time? Am I truly so incorrigible?” she taunted, casting a sideways glance at him.

The Master’s lips curved into a mischievous grin. “Perhaps not. I think you have lived here long enough now to understand how things are done in Milton - how we masters only strive to grind our workers into the ground,” he teased.

“I certainly do not think that, as you well know!” she returned in mock offense, tugging at his arm in retribution.

A short laugh escaped from him, as he immensely enjoyed their game.

“I did not understand why there should be so much suffering and strife between masters and men. You spoke so adamantly of your own position. Is it any wonder that I thought you quite indifferent to those beneath you?” she posed in playful defense of her former assumptions.

“And is there hope for me yet?” he posed with a quiver of a smile on his lips.

“Yes,” she answered bashfully at his deference to her judgment, unable to suppress the smile which pulled at her face.

Margaret grew pensive, marveling at how much her opinion of him had changed. She remembered with a pang of remorse how wrongly she had once judged him. He was not indifferent, but perhaps not fully aware of all that his workers faced. She was proud of him for forgiving Boucher his folly and offering him work.

“I understand from Mary that you have taken on Boucher. Thank you for doing so,” she said solemnly after several moments of silence.

“Children should not starve for their father’s mistakes. I had not considered that the Union forced some men into compliance,” he answered thoughtfully.

“You have little patience with the Union, yet Mary also says you have offered Nicholas work. I did not expect...I did not ask you...” Margaret stuttered before he interrupted her.

“I know he was one of Hamper’s best - that is, until he began gathering his forces for the Union. I need all the skilled hands I can find right now,” he explained grimly. “And since he is your friend, I thought I might be able to trust him not to stir up trouble again,” he added, partly in jest.

Margaret smiled at his good-humored prodding, but was taken aback by his faith in her. “I fear I have little influence over Nicholas. But I know... that is, I hope....that if he takes work with you, you both might come to understand each other better. I’m sure if you could only talk over your differences, there would not be a need for such drastic measures,” she declared with rising fervency.

“Only time will tell,” he replied, conceding the possibility of her bold vision with doubtful reserve. “I have not yet heard from him,” he added.

“No,” she acknowledged rather hesitantly, anxious not to reveal her friend’s obstinate state of mind. “He has been out of sorts of late since the riot ...and since his daughter’s death,” she explained.

“I am sorry for his loss...and yours,” Mr. Thornton stated solemnly.

Margaret nodded as a strain of sorrow reminded her of the fleeting friendship she had cherished. How much Bessy would have rejoiced to see her marry the Master!

Her silent reflections awoke a dormant suspicion that remained unconfirmed. Their matched footsteps kept steady rhythm as she pondered how to ask him. “Was it you that sent that fine coffin for Bessy?” she finally asked, searching his face for the truth.

“Yes,” he answered, after a moment’s hesitation.

Margaret studied him with renewed admiration, wondering what it was that had kept her eyes so firmly closed to the true stature of the man beside her. “It was a great kindness. Why did you?” she inquired eagerly.

“She was your friend. I wished to honor her as such,” he explained, glancing at her briefly before turning his face back to the path ahead.

She accepted his answer with glowing satisfaction. She would not pry further into his motives or offer ebullient praise. He desired no laud from men for his acts, but accomplished what he deemed right for his own conscience’ sake. She could not admire him more.

Walking together in contented silence, the couple passed the last outlying villas and headed toward the gray avenues of unremarkable terraced houses that had been built in haste to accommodate the masses who had toiled in the city’s factories the past twenty years.

Margaret compared the newer buildings she saw to the well-established streets of London. Mr. Thornton explained how much the town had changed and grown since he was a boy. And so they talked of childhood pastimes, amused to discover that the curiosity and joy of youth were essentially the same whether running the city streets or roaming the forest floor.

With wistful reluctance to find their walk at an end, they rounded the last corner toward the Hale’s home.

Margaret ushered Mr. Thornton into the drawing room where her parents still sat.

“John,” Mr. Hale enthused upon his entry. “Please, sit down. Join us for a time.”

Mr. Thornton gave a warm smile. “I’m sorry, but I cannot stay for long. Unfortunately, I have accounts to look over before tomorrow,” he apologized as he took a chair in the middle of the company.

Margaret watched as conversation flowed easily between her betrothed and her father, with an occasional remark made by her mother. She marveled at how well her intended fit into their comfortable home. A warm feeling of contentment settled over her as she imagined the future, when he would take his rightful place as a welcome son-in-law.

Her contemplations were interrupted when the mantle clock struck five and her mother announced she must take her rest before dinner. Mr. Hale insisted on helping his wife upstairs, leaving the engaged couple alone.

Mr. Thornton rose from his seat as the last footsteps sounded on the stairs. With quiet dignity, he placed himself conveniently near the object of his affection, taking a seat on the same sofa.

Margaret’s heart began to drum relentlessly as she picked up her book from the side table. “I’ve been reading a new book. Perhaps I could read you a few lines,” she offered as distraction.

“If you wish,” he replied in a soothing voice and she returned to the book hastily before the warmth of his crystal blue eyes could mesmerize her.

He gazed at her with open wonder as she began to read, the sound of her mellifluous voice a certain balm to his soul. He could scarcely believe his good fortune. He felt it might be a dream, for he could never have imagined how swiftly their relationship would evolve from one of bitter contention to such fond attention and respect. But could she learn to love him? The question was never far from his mind, and with every encounter his hopes grew more potent as he detected that she was not resistant to his favors.

His breathing slowed as he studied intently the movement of her full, pink lips, and every fiber of his being yearned to take her into his arms and kiss her.

Her stomach tightened as she felt the heat of his gaze upon her. She dropped the book to her lap. “You are not listening to a word I am saying,” she turned to accuse him, her dimpled smile coyly teasing him.

A mischievous grin pulled at his face. “I was paying close attention,” he returned in defense, a smoldering gleam in his eye.

Tingling expectation aroused all her senses. “Were you?” she boldly taunted with dancing eyes, although she could scarcely speak above a whisper. Her gaze fell helplessly to the soft curve of his mouth.

“Yes,” was all he answered as he moved his face ever closer to hers, their playful banter driving him mad with the desire to kiss her soundly.

She did not recoil. He even thought that she strained to meet him. A shudder coursed through him at his first lingering contact with her lips. He kissed her gently, reverently - careful to treat her as something extraordinarily precious. He moved slowly to take her face into his hands and, with aching tenderness, tasted again and again the blissful sweetness of her soft, supple lips.

She clutched at the crook of his arm to steady herself and began to move her lips in answering accord.

All his senses ignited at her response. Her willing compliance melted his resolve and his kisses grew more fervent, with an urgency he could not suppress. How long he had yearned to love her!

Margaret tremblingly endeavored to match his fervor, her pulse racing as he sought more and more of her. She flinched to feel the touch of his tongue and drew back in shock.

Their eyes locked in silent communication, only inches apart. He was desperate, afraid of her repulsion - she saw it all in his questioning stare. She ached to banish his fears and returned her mouth to his, willing to be shown how to love him.

She felt his glad relief in his resumed tenderness, and was rewarded with a rain of gentle kisses before his attentions grew more ardent. With tantalizing slowness, he coaxed her to open her mouth to him. Their hearts pounded as they tentatively took their first taste of secret pleasures, becoming lost in the intoxicating bliss of sweet discovery.

The sound of a guttural but distinct clearing of the throat accosted their ears.

Mr. Thornton shot up from his seat. “Mr. Hale!” he exclaimed awkwardly like some errant schoolboy as a shade of crimson stained his face.

Mr. Hale surveyed the scene before him with a wary and startled expression as he entered the room. His daughter’s face was bowed in shame, her mortification palpable. “I thought you might have already gone home,” he remarked somewhat stiffly to their guest.

“I was preparing to leave,” Mr. Thornton muttered, his brow creased in consternation. He could not meet his future father-in-law’s gaze.

“Yes, of course,” Mr. Hale answered dryly, casting a dubious eye over the man who was to marry his daughter before he gathered his wife’s shawl from the back of her chair and headed uncomfortably toward the stairs. The creases of concern on his brow gradually vanished as the old vicar recalled this own long-ago days of courtship.

The guilty lovers remained frozen in place in the drawing room. “I must go,” Mr. Thornton stated vacantly, letting out a long breath. He condemned himself for the shame she now endured, but could not regret the taste of their shared passion which still smoldered in his veins despite the cold dousing they had received.

“Yes,” she murmured, gathering herself up from the chair at last, her cheeks burning. She faltered for a moment in taking her first steps, her limbs quaking with a rush of confusing guilt and thrilling pleasure at what they had shared. She followed him to the hallway in placid guise, a confluence of strong emotions stirring wildly within her. She was drawn to him like a magnet, feeling a palpable bond to the man who had unsealed her maidenly reserve to find the fervor of feeling that flowed so readily beneath.

Unable to meet each other’s gaze, they stood awkwardly as they listened with anxious impatience to her father’s last retreating footsteps until the only the sound that remained was the throbbing of their own heartbeats in their ears.

“Will you come on Tuesday...if you are not otherwise occupied?” Margaret stammered, staring at the buttons of his waistcoat.

“I will come if at all possible,” he answered readily, noting how beautiful she was in her timidity - her lashes fluttered and her cheeks glowed with all feminine modesty and grace.

“I enjoyed our walk,” she offered haltingly, her gaze still cast down.

“As did I,” he responded unequivocally in low tones that mesmerized her, beckoned her to look at him.

She bravely lifted her eyes to him at last, and fell instantly under his power.

He took a step toward her instinctively and she raised her face to his, helplessly scanning it for his intent.

He placed his hands gently at her waist and bent to bestow one last parting kiss, in hopeful wonder at the sparkle of longing in her eyes.

Their lips clung. He could not relinquish contact and she made no move to retract from him. Their lips mingled slowly at first in tremulous restraint and then with growing rapture as neither withdrew from such a pleasant exchange.

He curled his fingers at her waist to bring her closer, and she melted under his possession like wax to flame.

Margaret felt her insides burn with the impulse to cast aside all restraint and follow wherever he would lead. She slid her arms up around his neck to hold more securely to him.

Mr. Thornton groaned to feel her soft form against his; his body quaked at her submission. His ardor increased and she answered him in kind until lips and mouths moved in a desperate frenzy to convey all that had yet been unspoken.

Emboldened by her response, he sought to taste the very essence of her. Wave after wave of molten desire coursed through his body as he took deep draughts of her and she quivered to give what he would take in unrestrained passion, all pretense of tepid affection now banished forever.

Margaret felt as if her body were on fire, all her emotions unleashed. Alarmed at the strong urge to melt further into his arms and abandon herself entirely to his mercy, Margaret disengaged herself from him at once and buried her cheek against his shoulder in flustered shame. Her heart beat wildly in her breast.

“I love you,” she whispered in dizzy admission as if to absolve herself from such wanton impulses. Her hands trembled helplessly as she grasped his waistcoat. Was this love then? A wild, uncontrollable need to be near him, to feel his touch?

His raging desire subsided as his heart leapt to hear the words he had once believed she would never utter.

“Margaret?” he hoarsely murmured in stupefied wonder, not quite believing he had heard her aright. His body quaked in tremulous hope as he pulled back from her to fervently search her face. His breath stilled as she raised her eyes to his.

“I love you,” she repeated, unable to speak above a whisper, but meeting his gaze with a fierce determination to wipe any doubt from his mind.

A flood of aching joy coursed through him to see the look of love in her eyes. He gathered her into his arms and pressed her to him, stunned by her earnest confession.

“Margaret!” he murmured again, brushing his lips over her temple in delirious rapture at the silken feel of her and nuzzling into her sweet-smelling hair. His arms caressed her back as he kept her close, incredulous that she should finally be all his. She loved him! How he longed to take her home and show her how much he loved her, needed her. My God, how he needed her!

“When will you marry me? We have not spoken of it,” he rasped as his lips continued to hungrily graze over the tender skin by her ear and nearer her neck, drinking in her presence, craving to be bound to her forevermore.

Margaret drew back to face him, shivering to rouse herself from the drunken bliss of his tender possession.

“My mother isn’t well...” she began weakly, unable to answer the intensity of his searching gaze.

He knew well her reservations. “You must know that I will not hold you prisoner in my house. You will wish to visit your mother often...all day perhaps,” he faltered, not wishing to bring up the unpleasant thought of what lay ahead. “I only ask that you come home to me every evening,” he implored, his voice low and gravelly with emotion.

She dropped her eyes from his pleading gaze. A deep blush crept up from within and spread an effusion of warmth through her body at the thought of belonging to him during the midnight hours.

“I will not press you for an answer,” he said gently after some time, noting her uneasiness. “But you must promise you will tell me as soon as the date is set,” he urged earnestly.

She nodded in compliance, although she could not yet look at him.

“Until Tuesday, then,” he reluctantly announced, taking his hat.

‘Yes,” she answered, bringing her eyes to him once more.

His heart lurched to see a gleam of affection in her eyes. He gave her a soft smile and turned quickly to leave, before the impulse to take her into his arms again could overpower him.

The door closed with a gentle click, but the reality of his sudden absence was harsh, leaving the room cold and empty. How she would bear the remainder of the day without him, she did not know.

*****

Margaret was quiet at dinner. Keeping her head bowed slightly over her plate, she meekly answered her father’s inquiries about Mr. Thornton’s busy schedule, giving only fleeting glances in his direction.

It was a relief to the besotted girl when bedtime finally arrived and she was free to contemplate all that had stirred her so effectually. She brushed her long hair and gazed reflectively at the mirror, hardly recognizing the woman who stared back at her. How much had changed in one day, she could scarcely fathom. But she knew she was no longer the girl who had eagerly dreamed of his attentions this morning. She had tasted his love. His powerful kisses had aroused in her something dangerous and thrilling in its intensity.

She laid the brush down and padded to the bed to quickly slip under the crisp bed sheets. Lying in the dark, her mind raced to make sense of all that had happened. Her feelings had been wild and overpowering and she was quite certain she had not behaved in a manner becoming a lady of gentle breeding.

She felt a stinging pang of guilt for having abandoned all her practiced self-control. But her conscience struggled against unjust condemnation. She had been overpowered by the feelings he had stirred in her. Surely, it could not be wrong to express the love she held in her heart to one who would soon be her husband.

Her husband. She was certain he wished to make no delay in marrying, and her pulse quickened as she recalled how ardently he requested that she should come home to him each evening.

Heat rose from her belly and warmed her face as she wondered what it would be like to belong to him at night. She did not know exactly what passed between a man and woman that distinguished the marital bed. She had heard whispered tittering from village women long ago, and was not ignorant of the cycle of propagation among animals, but a flush of nervous apprehension coursed through her to imagine the natural coupling of man and wife.

She closed her eyes and felt once more the press of his mouth on hers, the exquisite sensation of succumbing to his ardent possession. All the rushing intensity of emotions returned to her as she envisioned being held tight against him.

She did not know what would be required of her; she only knew she must give herself wholly to him. Something deep within twisted and throbbed at the thought of becoming his wife.

With quick determination, she turned herself onto her side to stem the tide of such thoughts. There would be time enough dwell on such things, she reasoned. She should not rush to determine the future. Everything would unfold naturally in due course.

What mattered most was that she trusted him. The tension in her body lessened as she considered how tenderly he treated her. She could never be afraid of being in his arms. She smiled. No, that was where she most longed to be.

******

Mr. Thornton threw off his shirt and leaned over the porcelain basin to make his nightly ablutions. Relieved to be at liberty to allow his mind to wander, he thought of his mother’s curious glances this evening and smiled. She had detected something of his happiness, but he had not any explanation to give other than that he had very much enjoyed his walk with Margaret. He could not explain how his world had changed - how a lovers’ exchange of a few precious moments could transform his existence into one of such vibrant glory.

He dried himself off with languorous care and tugged a loose nightshirt over his strong-muscled form. He had found it almost impossible to spend his concentration this evening on figures and accounts when his whole being exalted in the glorious memory of what she had said and what they had shared! The smiles that came now to his face were irrepressible. Waves of radiant joy had overtaken him countless times since he had descended the stairs at the Crampton house.

He climbed into his broad oak bed, pulled a sheet to his chest, and laid motionless on his back. His lips curved into a beaming smile again. She loved him! The contemplation of it drove all rational thought from his mind. He knew not how he would manage his mill at present, for he could not think of anything but her. All that was left of him was the palpitating, powerful, sweet euphoria of being loved by her.

But as he lay in the dark, alone in his bed, he remembered vividly how she had clung to him with shivering passion. How willingly she had yielded to him! His pulse began to hammer erratically as he began to imagine how it would feel to lie next to her and pull her body to his.

He sat up quickly, attempting to break the tantalizing train of his thoughts. There would be time enough for such dreaming, he chastised himself. At present, it should be enough to bask in the knowledge that he had won her heart.

He lay back down, resting his head on his pillow to reclaim the more tranquil reflections of his great happiness.

But inevitably, the vision of her returned in which, lying next to him, she twined her arms about his neck and pulled herself close to nestle against him. He let out a long breath - a faint groan - of shaking longing to hold her.

He didn’t know when such a dream would become reality, but he prayed he would not have to endure such torturous yearning for long.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

89.7K 1.1K 23
Reputations, like the delicate petals of a Helstone rose, are fragile things indeed... Upon discovering Margaret in the arms of an unknown man, John...
6K 447 63
[THIS IS THE SECOND BOOK IN THE SERIES. I DO RECOMMEND TO READ THE BOOK 1 BEFORE YOU EMBARK ON THIS JOURNEY DUE TO THE HEAVY SPOILERS IN THIS STORY.]...
2.2K 115 24
This sweeping love story, set in Victorian England, tells a tale of love lost and found. Emily Summerset is determined to marry for love, but it isn...
13 0 11
In the pastoral beauty of 19th century England, Stephanie and Collin's story unfolds. They share a history rich with innocent childhood play and drea...