In The Flesh | Yoonmin

By sassyfronkeh

Four years after the Rising, the government starts to rehabilitate the Undead for reentry into society, inclu... More

Characters
| Vocabulary |
| Prologue |
|1|
|2|
|3|
|4|
|5|
|6|
|7|
|9|
|10|
|11|
|12|
|13|
|14|
|15|

|8|

60 8 0
By sassyfronkeh

× HIGH SCHOOL - GYM ×

Mock exams in progress. School students sit in rows of single desks, their heads in their exam papers.
Taehyung is sat on one of the last desks. He’s struggling with the exam paper.
He looks to his right and there about ten feet away is a door with a green exit sign above it.
Taehyung turns back to his paper. His pen runs out. The boy searches in his ruck sack that’s at his feet and produces another pen.
He tries to write with it but nothing. Taehyung shakes the pen. He tries again. Instead of ink the pen writes with blood. It leaks all over his exam paper.
Taehyung looks up and tries to speak. Even though his mouth moves, nothing comes out.
All the other school students in front of him stop writing. In unison they put their pens down, turn their heads around and stare at him. They are all rabid zombies : pale skin, pin prick eyes, they're terrifying.
Taehyung shoots up as the Rabid Zombie Students get to their feet.
He looks to his right at the door with the exit sign above. He could flee and make it to safety, easily, but he doesn't. He searches in his ruck sack and finds his trusty silver colt pistol.
The rabid zombie students advance.
Taehyung pulls back the hammer, aims and pulls the trigger. Nothing. The Colt doesn’t fire. The Rabid Zombie Students continue to advance.
Taehyung checks the chamber. The chamber's fully loaded. He closes the chamber, aims and tries again. He pulls the trigger. Nothing.
Taehyung looks over at the EXIT. He could just make it to the door if he were to run. NOW. But he doesn’t. He turns back to the horde and aims again at one of the Rabid Zombie Students that are almost upon him. Taehyung pulls the trigger. Nothing.
It is way too late to flee to the EXIT. Now he has no choice and must fight.
Taehyung desperately and frantically pulls the trigger over and over again. No bullets fire. The Rabid Zombie Students engulf him.

× Taehyung's bedroom ×

Taehyung wakes up drenched in sweat. He lays there. Coming back
to reality. He controls his shallow breaths. Calms. Taehyung gets up. We see that he sleeps on a bath towel over the sheet. It’s soaked through.

"Taehyung ! Breakfast !", yells Jae.

He grimaces. The last thing he wants to do is eat. Or move.

× Kitchen ×

Taehyung enters, dressed in his school uniform, to see his mom and his brother Jimin wearing french style berets.
Taehyung looks at them perplexed.

"It wasn’t my idea.", says Jimin to his brother.

Jae appears wearing a full french costume: Beret, Onion necklace, striped top. He looks like an offensive extra from the TV show ‘Allo ‘Allo.

"It was mine!", says Jae, beaming.

"What the fuck?"

Yon rolls her eyes at Taehyung's bad language.

"Special farewell meal for your
brother."

Taehyung remembers. How could he forget? His brother’s off to
France today. He sees Jimin's big suitcase propped up. He sits down at the table. Jar puts a beret on his head and goes to tend to the frying breakfast.

"How you feeling?", asks Taehyung.

"Excited and nervous all at the same time.", answers Jimin.

Jae puts on a french song on the CD player.

"Bet you're gonna miss all this?",says Taehyung, sarcastic.

Jimin and him share a smile.
Jae comes over with the pain.

"Here we go. Bon appetit."

And he starts dishing out french toast to everyone. Including Jimin.

"Uh, Dad...", starts Jimin.

Jae remembers that his son doesn’t eat. He mumbles “Oh, yeah” and puts Jimin's French Toast on Taehyung's plate.

"Eggy bread?", asks the boy.

"French toast. Traditional Gallic
breakfast."

Taehyung looks to his brother for confirmation on this. Jimin shakes his head - ‘It’s not really’.

"Hate to think how much cholesterol there is in these things.", says Yon.

"Bit of butter never hurt anyone.", argues Jae.

"Tell that to Vicar Oddie, love."

× Graveyard ×

Vicar Oddie’s funeral is coming to a close.
Six loyal parishioners from church and the members of the parish council Duncan, Pearl and Namjoon have turned up. Hoseok is there. Sombre. Respectful.
Jungkook and one of his EX HVF mates are bolting down an iron guard over the fresh grave plot. It looks peculiar.

"What’s that?", asks someone.

"It’s what he would’ve wanted. Just
in case second rising happens and
he pops up. As if.", answers Pearl.

"It’s a very sensible measure.
Second rising’s coming. Read your
Bible.", says a loyal parishioner.

× Jin's bungalow | Kitchen ×

A makeshift neurotriptyline lab has been constructed in the kitchen.
Jin goes to the fridge. Inside are home made bottles of the medication that were prepared earlier and plastic storage tubs filled with pieces of some kind of meat.
Jin reaches inside and grabs one of the bottles.

× Jin's bungalow | Living room ×

The living room has been turned into a mini ULA base. Yoongi's ULA flag has been hung on the wall alongside a map of Roarton with green pins stuck in it.
Yoongi is listening to Jeonghan (16) the school boy we met with Seungkwan in the canteen. Jeonghan is bashful as he talks. But Yoongi has a way of listening to you that makes you feel at ease, as if you’re the only person on the planet.

"Sorry. It’s just my mum and dad
don’t like me talking about it.", says Jeonghan.

"That’s okay. Take your time.", replies Yoongi.

Jin enters with the injector. He goes over to Yoongi and prepares him for his shot.

"I remember bits and pieces. Lots of it’s hazy."

"You don’t remember the night of The Rising?"

"I remember it being...I remember
hearing thunder.", answers Jeonghan.

Jin gives Yoongi his shot. He slightly shudders, used to
it.

"Cracks of lightning."

"Thank you.", he says to Jin and then to Jeonghan, "It was a wild night, wasn’t it?"

The young boy nods his head.

"I know other... (making sure he calls them the right name)
redeemed get flashbacks, but I
don’t get those much. Sorry Yoongi."

"Hey, no worries. You did great.
Thanks for trying."

Jeonghan nods, stands up and exits. Yoongi sighs, gets up and goes to the map.

"Is he special?", asks Jin.

"He rose in Roarton, of course.", answers Yoongi.

"Special as me?"

Yoongi looks at him and smiles a ‘don’t be silly’ smile.

"Going somewhere?", he asks, noticing that Jin is wearing his pink jacket.

"I’m gonna try and stop a certain
Roarton riser from leaving."

"Tell him he doesn’t have to leave.
We’re gonna change things around
here. He’s important.", says Yoongi.

"Course he’s important. He’s my
BDFF."

"?"

"Best Dead Friend Forever."

"What does that make me?"

"Makes you something else, Mr.
Disciple.", answers coyly Jin.

× Park House | Hallway ×

Yon is hugging Jimin tightly. Taehyung and Jae stand either side.

"You got your passport?", asks Yon.

"Yep.", answers Jimin.

"And your map to your accommodation?"

"I’ve got it all, Mum. I double
checked."

"Okay. I’ll stop fussing.", finally says Yon.

Jae comes up to Jimin and gives him a hug.

"Call the minute you land?"

"I will, Dad."

Jimin turns to his brother.

"Reviens bientôt.", says Taehyung who learnt it especially.

"La-di-da, check him out.", says Jae to Yon.

Taehyung kisses him on the cheek. Jimin looks at his brother. He
gets emotional. They embrace.

"What’s it mean?", whispers Jae to Yon.

" “Come back soon.” ", she whispers back.

"Don’t worry, your brother’s got a
habit of popping back, doesn’t he?"

Everyone groans at Jae's attempt at levity. It’s time for Jimin to leave. He grabs his big suitcase and exits, the Park family waving him off.

× Village Hall ×

A big cardboard box sits on the table. It’s the end of a Parish Council meeting, Namjoon, Duncan and Pearl are in attendance (Namjoon has a thick binder with him). Hoseok is at the head of the table.

"All agreed?", asks Hoseok.

"Do we have a choice in the matter?", asks back Duncan.

"Of course you do, Councillor
Lancaster. I’m all for Local Government. Smaller the better I
say. Parish councils should keep running the show. But I think you’ll find this is a national policy that will suit you down to the ground."

"Sounds good to me.", answers Pearl, "And I think this new measure is necessary, in light of events."

"Councillor Kim. Your thoughts."

"Yes. I agree.", says Namjoon.

"Excellent. Meeting adjourned."

×

Councillors are filing out.
Hoseok has a box cutter and is opening the cardboard box. A clipboard is beside the box. Namjoom comes up to him with the thick binder he had with him during the council meeting.

"Mister Jung, I just wanted to thank you for promoting me to councillor."

"Not at all.", answers Hoseok, "Work hard and who knows; one day I could be calling you my right honourable friend."

Namjoom beams - wow. The dream.

"I was thinking last night about my
new position and I jotted down some suggestions for future measures...", he says, looking at his thick binder.

He goes to hand him the thick binder, but Hoseok picks up the
clipboard and hands it to him.

"Wonderful. Namjoom, would you make sure everyone on this list is
attending the Kick Off seminar this
morning. Thank you. Great help."

"Yes, madam - I mean, yes sir."

He turns back to his box, inside are a number of orange work bibs. Namjoom is left holding his binder.

× Train Station ×

Jimin approaches the ticket office trundling his suitcase behind him. He sees Jin waiting for him. He smiles.

"Not going on a day trip without me are you ?"

"Not a day trip this time, partner.", answers Jimin.

"You know there’s a lot of french
people where you’re going?"

"I’m aware of that."

"I hear they’re terribly rude."

"That’s just a myth. Don’t believe
everything you hear."

"What’s Roarton gonna do without your handsome face to brighten up their day?", asks dramatically Jin.

"Sure they’ll manage."

"Hmm don’t know. Now Vicar’s croaked that MP from Victus is in charge. Boo hiss."

"Even more reason to get out of
here."

"Please stay.", says Jin, gravely serious.

"Why don’t you come with me, Jin?"

"How many layers of cover up mousse did you put on this morning?"

Jimin doesn’t answer him. It’s probably two coats. At least.

"Do you think if you go to a different country you’ll be able to take off one of those layers? How many miles will you have to travel to be able to take it all off, Park Jimin ?"

"I’ve got to get my ticket.", answers the boy.

Jimin comes up to the counter where a ticket officer sits. Jin follows.

"Single to the airport, please.", asks Jimin.

The Ticket Officer looks up, clocks Jimin and then clocks Jin, who is bare faced.

"You Partially Deceased?"

Jimin looks at him - ‘That’s a strange question to ask’.

"Yeah?"

"Hang on a minute."

The Ticket Officer gets up and goes to a telephone. He gets out a card from his pocket and dials a number.
Jimin waits, a little agitated by all this, he looks at Jin.
His friend makes a ‘what’s going on?’ expression.

"Hello, it’s the station... I’ve got
a PDS sufferer here trying to buy a
ticket... Okay...Alright, I’ll tell
him.", says the man in the phone.

The Ticket Officer puts the phone down and comes back to the counter.

"I can’t sell you a ticket. You're
gonna have to wait here."

"What?"

"Out of my hands."

And with that the Ticket Officer pulls down the blind. A distressed Jimin knocks on the glass.

"Hey. Hello? Hello!"

×

Jimin sits on a bench in the ticket office with Jin. He looks at the station clock. He’s running late. Namjoom appears holding a clipboard. Jimin stands.

"Namjoon, what’s going on?"

"I’m gonna have to ask you to come with me."

Jin stands.

"Why?"

Namjoon is stunned to see Jin again. He stares at him with googly eyes. Jimin gets in his line of vision.

"Well?", he asks.

"All PDS sufferers are required to
come to the village hall for the
Kick Off Seminar this morning.", says Namjoon, still staring at Jin.

Jimin looks at him perplexed.

"Kick Off Seminar? I’ve got to get a
train to the airport.", tries to argue Jimin.

"You’re not going to be able to get
a train today. Sorry. Everything
will be explained at the village
hall."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 231 47
When an apocalypse starts in Jeon Jungkook's high school, resulting in most of the student body exhibiting zombie-like behaviour and rapidly spreadin...
5.9K 170 22
Jimin returns to his hometown in hopes he would get better. Along the way he meets six boys who change his perspective on life, although there may be...
626 3 32
WARNING* This story has strong content. Including, sexuality and strong language. If you are sensitive to any of this please read at your own risk. ...
6.8K 267 12
Taehyung has a busy life because of his job. Him and his boyfriend, Jungkook, never get to spend time with one another. So, Jungkook decides to plan...