We're Just Friends... Aren't...

By PenToPageBQ

“A guy and a girl can be just friends, but at one point or another, they will fall for each other...Maybe tem... More

Chpt 1
Chpt 2
Chpt 3
Chpt 4
Chpt 5
Chpt 6
Chpt 7
Chpt 8
Chpt 9
Chpt 10
Chpt 11
Chpt 12
Chpt 13
Chpt 14
Chpt 15
Chpt 16
Chpt 17
Chpt 18
Chpt 19
Chpt 20
Chpt 22
Chpt 23
Chpt 24
Chpt 25
Chpt 26
Chpt 27
Chpt 28
Chpt 29
Chpt 30
Chpt 31
Chpt 32
Chpt 33
Chpt 34
Chpt 35
Chpt 36
Chpt 37 - Final Chapter
Epilogue

Chpt 21

2.2K 82 1
By PenToPageBQ

   I take another shot of vodka, the music becoming obscenely loud. "Nath?" I whisper, looking for him. Probably off with some skinny ass girl or something. I knew coming here was a bad idea, and these vodka shots aren't even that nice. Don't see what the fuss is over them if I'm honest. Sighing I check my watch, it's 11:30. I attempt to stand up but end up stumbling, only to be caught by a roguish looking guy. In his late 20's early 30's would be my bet for his age. Quite nice with a little bit of stubble, giving him a more manly look than most guys. "You wanna watch yourself." he advises, helping me up. I laugh at this.

"Thanks, can I ask for a name?" 

"Oliver." he says, extending his hand.

"Ivy." I reply, shaking it. 

"That's a cute name." he comments.

"You think?"

"I do. So what brings you here?" 

"Meant to be on a blind date." 

"With that blonde lad?" he asks, pointing at Nathan. I frown, how on earth did he know that?!

"Yeah… mind if I ask how you know that?" 

"I was er… sort of… ahem." he says and I swear he's blushing or something. 

"You were what?" I ask, curious. What if he's some sort of serial killer that was stalking me and Nathan? Worse still what if he's gay and hopes I can set him up with Nath? That would be so embarrassing and an awful waste because he looks quite fine. I don't know if that's me or the vodka talking but either way he's nice. 

"Would you be freaked out if I told you I was checking you out earlier on in the evening?"

"I'd be worried for  your eyesight."

"Why?"

"I avoid looking in a mirror at all costs. The only reason I decided to inflict my ugly on the world is because my friends persuaded me to go on a blind date. That turned out well." I manage to stammer, not having enough energy to fully explain the situation. 

"You've got to be kidding me! You're gorgeous, why would you not want to look in the mirror?"

"I break them. You're calling me gorgeous? A guy like you could land half the chicks in here, is this some sort of dare?" I ask, paranoid. He merely laughs at this and shakes his head.

"It's not a dare! And I don't' believe you break mirrors for one second. I really like you. You're funny as well as cute, goes a long way."

"Trust me mate it's the alcohol speaking, not me."

"Either way I'd like to get to know you better."

"I wouldn't be so sure of that. I'm not that fun in all honesty, if I was you'd think I'd be able to hold up a date, right?" I ask, pointing over at Nath. Technically he isn't my date but he's close enough. 

"He seems an idiot to let you slip out of his hands, still all the better for me else I'd be sitting here the whole night wishing I was him."

"Seriously?" I ask quietly, taking in this guy. 

"Honestly." 

"Let me tell you Ollie, I can call you that right?" I ask.

"Sure." 

"Well, let me tell you that your chat up lines are fantastic."

"So I can have your number?" he asks me with an adorable smile.

"Sure you can it's-"

"Ivy? What're you doing?" I hear Nathan asking from behind me.

"Oh hey Nath! I was just giving Ollie here my number." I reply, giggling. I grab another vodka shot and down it. Must be the alcohol that makes me feel this alive. Ollie looks between the two of us awkwardly. "Anyway it's 07-"

"Ivy do you even know this guy?" Nath asks suspiciously.

"It's Ollie! I just told you Nath, do you listen?" I ask, my voice slurring. I pick up another shot and down it. Ollie starts to write something down on a tissue and hands it to me.

"Here's my number Ivy, call when you can, alright?" he asks me and I nod in return to his request.

"Will do."

"I'd best go." he says, offering Nath a shifty look.

"So soon? Aren't you going to stay for a few more drinks?" I ask with a grin on my face. He clears his throat, glances and Nath and shakes his head.

"I'll speak to you soon though, right?" he asks me quietly. 

"Sure!" I reply, whipping my phone out and texting the number he wrote on the napkin. His phone buzzes in his pockets and I grin, "Just making sure that you gave me the right number." I say, winking at him. He chuckles at this.

"I'll call you then, later on?"

"I'll be waiting," I reply. He turns around and walks off, a smile playing on his face. "He was nice, wasn't he?" I ask Nath before ordering a Tequila. The bartender suppresses a smile and hands me one. I drink it quickly and reach for another vodka shot but Nath stops me. 

-Nathan's POV-

   She just gave that guy her number! A random stranger. Does she have no idea how dangerous that is? "Nath what are you doing?" she asks me in a whiny voice. Drunk Ivy can be quite fun but I think she's had enough for today.

"Stopping you from intoxicating yourself." 

"Party popper." she moans glaring at me.

"You'll be thanking me in the morning."

"Will not! Why were you being mean to Ollie?"

"He's a random guy! You don't know anything about him." I remind her.

"You're the one who wanted me to get out more, aren't you?" she asks me in a slurred voice. She's got me there.

"Well… yeah it's just, he seemed a little dodgy…" 

"Ok well then lets meet other people." she says, a mischievous sheen in her eyes. Uh-oh. She grabs my hand and starts to pull me to the dance floor. "Come on Nath, loosen up." she says, pulling her bobble out of her hair and whipping it around. People start to cheer so she starts to dance properly. There's not denying that the girl can dance well what with all the choreography she does for her concerts. Soon enough there's a crowd of guys surrounding her and Ivy's laughing, her face alight with joy. I feel something stir inside me at this sight. I'm not quite sure what, but something. Probably just being protective over her because we're best mates and some of guys look a little sinister to me. A few of the guys start to get up close and personal, when I say up close I mean very close. I'm sure someone just groped her ass. Frowning Ivy looks around, then her eyes settle on me and she battles the crowd of men to get to me. She trips as she comes over to me and laughs at this, her hands are on my shoulders and her arms across my chest. My hands go out to her waist instinctively to prevent her from falling. "Why're you being such a party popper Nathy? Come and dance, please." she pleads. I look at the crowd of guys eyeing me enviously and nod. 

"Come on then." I whisper to her and she whoops before leading me to the dance floor. She starts doing her crazy dance routine which no-one can follow and I laugh trying to keep up. She notices this and shakes her head.

"What'm I gonna do with you?" she asks me getting very close. 

"I don't know, what are you going to do?" i ask her, wrapping my arms around her waist and pulling her closer to me. Her arms are looped around my neck and her hair is everywhere, man she looks hot. A grin plays on her lips. 

"I'll do whatever you ask me to." 

"Is that a promise?" I whisper in a low voice, causing her to giggle quietly. 

"Pinky promise." she whispers back in an equally husky voice, causing shivers to run up my spine. 

"We're meant to be dancing." I point out, sensing that I'm feeling just a little too comfortable like this. With her wrapped up in my arms, so close that I can smell her. I can feel her warm ragged breath on my collar bone where the top few buttons of my shirt are open. 

"Oh well." she whispers. 

"We could move off the dance floor." I suggest, realising that I don't really want her to leave my arms. She shrugs at this suggestion.

"We could, or we could stay here, I don't think that we're hurting anyone." she says in a level voice. 

"True." I whisper, her eyes enticing me. I must have had too much to drink because certain thoughts that I'm having shouldn't be entertained. Not when Ivy is my friend. She bites her lip though, and that's when the fireworks start to erupt inside me. Her head is slightly cocked so that the light shines on her eyes and mouth, highlighting them in a mysterious way. Geez I want to kiss her. 

"You're really shy tonight, aren't you Nath?" she asks, bringing her face closer to mine, so close that I could count her eyelashes if I wanted to. Not that that's the thing on my mind.

"How so?" I ask, trying to keep my voice normal.

"If I was any other girl you'd have kissed me by now." she points out. I sigh and look at her closely - not a good idea. 

"Probably." I admit, trying to grin but this one word seems to have distanced her from me. She backs away from me and heads back over to the vodka shots. What the heck did I do wrong? 

   "Ivy, come on stop." I whisper, taking the shot from her hand and putting it back on the table. It spills over and she glares at me.

"I was gonna drink that!" she announces as if I didn't already know that.

"I know you were."

"Why'd you take it away from me then?" she asks grumpily. 

"Because you've already had too much."

"Seems as if you haven't had enough." she mutters moodily, looking at the vodka longingly. I place my finger under her chin and tilt her face towards mine, I have to get her away from the alcohol.

"Want to go home now?" I ask her quietly. She pushes my hand away angrily, frowning.

"No. It's only," she pauses to consult her watch, "Only 1:15." she replies. 

"It's quite late Ivy-"

"Only for a boring person like you." she jibes before heading back to the dance floor. Groaning I follow her and grab her hand, but she yanks it away. I grab her hand again and this time when she tries to pull away I spin her into me. We get a few wolf whistles at this, but I'm looking at Ivy. Her lips are slightly parted from shock and there's a real innocence about her face. I feel my heart rate increase and Ivy shifts, trying to get away. I wrap my arms around her once again, forcing her to stop squirming and look at me. "Why?" she asks me quietly, a deep sorrow behind those glossy green eyes. I get the feeling the question isn't aimed just at me. It moves something inside me, something painful. All I want to do is make her feel ok again. She starts to tremble a little, so I do the only thing I can think of doing. I kiss her. 

-Ivy's POV-

   He kisses me, his arms tangled up in my hair, his body sculpting towards mine. I respond quickly, my own arms looped around his neck, sliding down the back of his shirt, pulling him closer. Man he's a good kisser. I think to myself, enjoying every second of the kiss. Eventually he pulls away; either for air or because he couldn't stand kissing me. Either way I'm left breathless, looking into his beautiful eyes and melting. Could it be that the girls are right? Is there something more to me and Nath? His eyes seem to be searching my face, looking for something. I hug him, not wanting to break down. He strokes my back and we move off the dance floor once again. "What's wrong Ivy?" he asks me tenderly. I step back a little, not enough to break the hug but just enough so I can look at his wonderful face. I breathe shakily, not wanting to say anything. "Ivy, you know you can tell me, right?" he whispers gently, softly stroking some strands of hair out of my face. 

"Why why why?" I ask quietly. 

"Why what?" he murmurs in a soft tone. Why did he leave me? Why is this happening? Why can't he leave my heart if he's left my body? Why am I still so hung up on him? Why did I enjoy kissing you? Why do I want to kiss you again? Why are all of these emotions toying with me? Why did I come here tonight. Just why. I think desperately, but I can't voice the words that are choking me so I just pull Nathan close to me once again and breathe his scent. His arms rubs my back in a consolidating manner and he whispers sweet words in my ears. "Thanks." I mumble back, reeling away from him again. I study his face, his gorgeous nose, his sharp eyes, his lush lips, setting my heart alight once again. His eyes flicker over my face as well, God knows what he's thinking. It doesn't take a genius to guess though: ugly ugly ugly. Whatever you only live one I think, before kissing him again. This time he's softer but firmer. His hands are on the small of my back, where my top is riding up a little and where his fingers touch my skin it feels like electricity is running through me. Since when did Nathan become such a mighty fine kisser? As if I seriously didn't know this before! I slide my hands up his shirt, feeling his torso. No lacking there at all, I tell you. But once again he pulls away, looking at me carefully. Oh geez when he looks at me like that… my heart starts to flutter. I bite my lip anxiously, feeling my cheeks flare up as he studies me. It's as if he's trying to memorise me. "Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?" he whispers eventually. 

"About the kiss or…" I ask cheekily. I think he blushes as I say this, lowering his eyes. 

"Well we don't need to talk about that, do we?" he asks me eventually, our eyes locking once again. 

"We don't need to do any talking at all." I suggest, kissing him again. This time he has other ideas and his mouth moves to my neck. I pull away from him but it's too late by the time I've reacted I seem to already have a hickey. This causes me to giggle.

"Now who's the party popper?" he asks me seductively, still not letting me go. Not that I'm complaining. 

"Still you." I whisper back in reply to which he chuckles. I can feel his chest vibrating as he does. 

"So about John-"

"Did you have to ruin the moment by bringing him up?"

"I'm afraid so, I hate to see you hurting Ivy." he whispers in a genuine tone of voice. 

"I hate talking about this stuff though Nath, you know that better than anyone!" 

"Who said you should talk about it?" he asks me with a cheeky grin appearing on his face.

"Well what do you want me to do then?" I ask him.  

"Sing." he replies pointing over to the guitar and mic in the back. 

"Seriously?" I ask him. He nods and leads me over to the mic. 

"Ahem, hello everyone. My friend here-" he starts to which he gets some 'yeah rights' and 'we saw you kissing's "Would like to sing something for you all." he finishes, handing me the mic. I pick up the guitar and grin, thinking of what song to sing and then it hits me. 

"Dedicated to my ex who was a complete arse." I scream into the mic, completely unaware that my 'arse' of an ex is in that very night club. 

AN: I am actually quite proud of this part, hope you all enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10 0 11
Amira has been best friends with Chris half of her life. They stick together no matter what. Through lies, betrayals, boyfriends and girlfriends. She...
1K 32 14
Have you ever fallen for your bestfriend? Someone who you cared about so much and it manifested into something deeper? Andy cared for his bestfriend...
48.6K 281 72