A Little Like Fate ↬ Agents o...

Autorstwa aos_is_life

» Book 1 « » undergoing some editing « The world is constantly evolving and we're just barely beginning to... Więcej

𝐀 𝐋𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐅𝐚𝐭𝐞.
𝐂𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠.
C H A P T E R 1
C H A P T E R 2
C H A P T E R 3
C H A P T E R 4
C H A P T E R 5
C H A P T E R 6
C H A P T E R 7
C H A P T E R 8
C H A P T E R 9
C H A P T E R 10
C H A P T E R 11
C H A P T E R 12
C H A P T E R 13
C H A P T E R 14
C H A P T E R 15
C H A P T E R 16
C H A P T E R 17
C H A P T E R 18
C H A P T E R 19
C H A P T E R 20
C H A P T E R 21
C H A P T E R 22
C H A P T E R 23
C H A P T E R 25
C H A P T E R 26
C H A P T E R 27
C H A P T E R 28
C H A P T E R 29
C H A P T E R 30
C H A P T E R 31
C H A P T E R 32
C H A P T E R 33
C H A P T E R 34
C H A P T E R 35
C H A P T E R 36
C H A P T E R 37
C H A P T E R 38
C H A P T E R 39
C H A P T E R 40
C H A P T E R 41
C H A P T E R 42
C H A P T E R 43
C H A P T E R 44
C H A P T E R 45
C H A P T E R 46
T H E T I M E I N B E T W E E N
B O O K T W O!

C H A P T E R 24

1.7K 44 14
Autorstwa aos_is_life

Chapter 24: Powerless

══════

   Everyone gathered in Coulson's office to watch Daisy ask Charles's wife questions. I slowly stood out of the wheelchair and groaned. Fitz saw what I was trying to accomplish and he quickly grabbed my arm to help ease me onto the couch.

   "Thank you, Leo," I mumbled and he gave me a quick smile.

   When I finally got into a position that didn't hurt my side, May had walked into the room.

   "And this is?" She questioned, her eyes glued to the screen.

   "Charles Hinton's wife. He was a teacher— well-liked by all. But he walked out on her and their 18- month-old daughter in July."

   I turned my head to look at Phil, "Walked out? why?"

   Before he could answer the audio from the interrogation room filled the spacious office.

...It drove him crazy...

   The woman, Polly, mumbled. Daisy leaned forward in her chair and asked when it all started.

...It was a Sunday. We'd just gotten home from the farmers market, and it started to pour. Charles ran out to the yard, to bring our daughter's toys inside. And I hear him howl as he hurt himself...

   Polly's head hung low as she spoke. I could feel her uneasiness— her pain. Talking about Charles was like pouring salt into an open wound. Loss and grief I determined.

...I ran out and found him on the ground covered with some kind of crust...

   She took in a deep breath and my shoulders tensed.

... I took his hand and we saw flashes. Random events, ending with a horrific car crash...

   Daisy tilted her head and spoke softly.

...He sees it too?...

   She lightly nodded her head 'yes.

...We just sat there, shocked. But then, leading him inside, it happened again. We saw-- my mother in a hospital bed. code blue...

   Charles' wife lifted her head and I watched as her eyes met Daisy's. Sympathy oozed from Daisy as she opened her mouth to speak.

...So you had to stop physical contact...

   As they spoke I shifted my hands into my lap. It felt like my limbs were weighted down by lead, my heart heavy with emotion. Fitz looked at me with concerned eyes and I told him I was fine.

...We thought we were going crazy. But it would happen anytime Charles touched anyone...

...He and that person would both see someone's death...

   When those words left Polly's mouth the atmosphere in the room grew thick. Daisy asked what she meant by death. Polly told her that it was enough to make her husband go mad.

...Then it got so much worse a few days later when...

   Before she could finish her sentence Daisy cut in.

...The visions started coming true...

   Polly lightly nodded her head again. Daisy sucked her lips into a thin line.

...Did he ever try to stop them, from happening?...

...Of course, he tried...

   The woman's quiet voice cracked.

...Over and over. That's what sent him over the edge, I guess. He couldn't make a difference- not one...

   As Polly spoke, I felt the sadness hidden within her words. Water droplets began to form in her eyes, the pain of the situation coming to the surface.

...He was powerless...

   A few tears escaped her honey eyes. Daisy looked up at the camera briefly.

...Are there any other details you could share with us? That could help? Could you tell us about the bird?...

   Polly looked at Daisy a little confused.

...What bird?...

...Charles carved a little bird- I think it was a... robin made out of wood...

   Hope. That feel lifted her chest but hallowed it at the same time. With a slight stutter in her breath, Polly's eyes grew owlish.

...He did?...

   Daisy nodded her head and Polly smiled sadly. She parted her lips and told Daisy that Robin was their child's name. Damn. I closed my eyes and I felt my heart sink.

...Charles left In the night and he didn't take anything but a jacket...

   I pulled at the end of my sleeve to dab away the tears in the corner of my eyes. Fitz lightly nudged my right arm and I looked up at him, "Are you alright?" he quietly asked, his Scottish accent thick.

   "Yeah," I forced the lump in my throat away.

...He left because he would never be able to hold his little girl again. At least, not without her crying and screaming and seeing death...

   The monitor turned off but I could still sense Polly. It was both a blessing and a curse to feel what people were feeling. I forced myself up from the couch cushion and into the wheelchair. I wheeled myself out of the room before anyone could ask me if I was okay.

---

   Once I was in my room, and the coast was clear, I stood out of the wheelchair. With one hand holding my side and the other pressed into the mattress, I gently laid down in the bed. My chest grew heavy as if bricks were being placed on me all at once.

   Anxiety wasn't a new topic for me, but the enchantment of my powers made it worst. Panic attacks came more frequent and now were no exception. Feelings from earlier today resurfaced and I couldn't control them anymore.

   "Dammit!" I yelled out of frustration.

   My head was spinning and I felt nauseous. Unintentionally a pulse of energy left my body. A few items around the room move slightly as the blue wave of energy came into contact with them. A knock on the door forced my attention away from the pounding sensation in my head.

   "Sophia?" A muffled voice spoke through the door.

   My eyes met May's as she opened the door. A frustrated huff left my nose and my arms crossed over my face.

   "Why me? Huh... Why me? Why the hell did I have to become this? I was fine living my life... I sublease a new apartment, I got a new job, I was gonna get a damn dog! I was fine with my life. I didn't ask for this.

   "One minute I'm fine and the next I feel like my head is going to explode. I can't even think straight. My head ALWAYS hurts and I'm always drowning in emotions that aren't even my own!"

   I let my arms fall limply to my side and May watched with sympathy.

   "Do you know how that feels? Some nights I can't even sleep. My body aches— if physically hurts. It feels heavy and I can't move or breathe without getting glimpses of what people are going through. I tried ignoring it, but it's useless. May—" I ran my fingers through my hair, "I'm only 27 and I already have grey hairs."

   My words were rushed and I looked like a madwoman. My eyes stared at the ceiling as my chest shook with every deep breath I took. Melinda walked over and sat down next to me. She held her hands in her lap and looked at me.

   "I'm not going to sit here and act like I know what you're going through." She paused to take a deep breath, "But you know what I do know?"

   I forced myself to look at her as she spoke, "I know that whatever is going on in there is not the priority. Charles is the priority. I care about you Rodriguez, and I can't pretend to know what's going on in your head, but I can steer you back on track. We all have our problems but we need to put them aside.

   "When you're out in the field you focus on the mission. When you're by yourself that's when you let it out. Vent all you want but the moment you step out that door you focus on saving the innocent. You are a strong agent and one hell of a force to be reckoned with."

   I looked at the wall in front of me as I tried to process everything she was saying.

   "Now, if you want to sit in your room and wallow in your self pit by all means do so... but the Sophia I know you'll rise from this and show us the strong agent you are."

   After that May didn't say another word. I took in a deep breath and cleared my head... She was right.

   "I'll give you a few to collect yourself, but if you decide to continue with the mission we could really use your help." I felt May's weight lift from the bed as she stood up. I looked up and saw her slowly walk out the door, "We'll be in the training room... I just thought I should let you know."

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

12.6K 183 18
{Completed and under major editing} "You think I had a part in that? That I would let that happen to you? You know how I feel about you, Taylor." He...
2.4K 69 10
Y/N Griffin Is a very skilled shield agent ,with a troubled past, she is recruited by Phil coulson for his team. on the team she will become close wi...
10.3K 286 25
Chloe Fitz has never really fitted in. She was always known as the nerd or the freak. Even when she went to SHIELD academy she never fitted in but, s...
1K 51 12
Andrea Hill, the daughter of the Deputy Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., Maria Hill, is chosen by Agent Coulson to be on his team to help investigate 0-8-4s...