The Nerd Effect #Wattys2017

By poseidons_fury

Don't think of this as your typical 'Nerd meets Bad Boy' situation, because I'm telling you that's not what h... More

*_* BEFORE YOU READ *_*
Chapter 1- High School Sucks
Chapter 2- Tenth Doctor VS Eleventh Doctor
Chapter 3- Lunch, Flashbacks, and Annalisa
Chapter 4- The Ice Cream Thief
Chapter 5- Pancakes are amazing! School however is not.
Chapter 6- Secret Places and Almost Kisses?
Chapter 7- Harry Potter Fixes Everything
Chapter 8- Ancient Greek Embarassments
Chapter 9- Confessions
Chapter 10- Gay Best Friends & Unwanted Visitors
Chapter 11- My Saviors
Chapter 12- We Need To Face The Future
Chapter 13- High School Are You Kidding Me?
Chapter 14- Amusement Parks & Brotherly Advice
Chapter 15- Together? Together.
Chapter 16- Genevieve
Chapter 17- Almost Time To Grow Up
Chapter 19- I actually Socialize (Somewhat)

Chapter 18- What'll We Do Now?

28 3 12
By poseidons_fury

"Ow," I said as Gen accidentally stuck me with a bobby pin to the ear.

"Sorry," she apologized and then said, "What the hell is wrong with your hair? It's literally doing anything it can to fight me."

"Then maybe we should just leave it alone," I said and looked into the mirror. Gen was attempting to put my hair up into something that looked more formal, but I just thought I looked weird.

"Are you sure? It's your graduation. Your hair should be done in some way." I nodded my head and she sighed, but let me stand up.

"I'm sure. And I'm wearing my Converse and a Doctor Who shirt under my graduation robe thing," I smiled.

"Of course you are," she laughed.

"Did you think I wouldn't?" I smirked, walking across the room to Gen and Andy's bed. I flung myself down on it and spread my arms out, sighing loudly. "Geeeeennn. What is my life?"

"How am I supposed to know? I just met you this morning."

"Yesterday," I corrected her, laughing slightly. "I'm just so anxious now."

"It's not so bad. You'll go to college, get that teaching job you want, and it'll be fine." She answered, crawling onto the bed next to me.

"What if things go wrong?"

"Oh god," she fell onto her back, "I can't deal with this now. You're going to make me start rethinking all of my life choices."

"Sorry..."

She sighed and then said, "I'm sure it'll be fine. And if it's not, there's always wine."

"I prefer candy. Alcohol is gross, at least the smell is."

"You better not have ever had it," Gen looked over and glared at me, but could only hold it for a few seconds before laughing.

"Yeah right. I'd never drink that stuff." I laughed right next to her.

She glanced at her watch and sat up. "I can't believe I fought with your hair for over an hour." She looked down at me as she finished her sentence. "It's 4:05."

I sighed," I should probably get ready so we can go."

"Yeah, maybe. I want to leave by 4:30. We want to get a good parking spot."

"You sound like my mother," I teased her. "Well, what I think she'd sound like if my family was normal."

"Way to bring down my mood," she chuckled.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said sarcastically and rolled my eyes.

"Alright Missy, no need to be sarcastic," she laughed, and I stood up to face her.

"Seriously though, thanks for everything. You've done a lot for me and my brother."

"You should be thankful I fixed him," she smiled. "But you're welcome. I love you both."

"And we love you," I replied before giving her a hug, and smiling at the figure standing in the doorway.

"Are you gonna join us or not, idiot," I called to Andy.

"What?" He called back from downstairs, confused.

"Just come up here. We're all hugging!" Gen yelled.

"Oh, okay!" Andy said and I heard footsteps run up the stairs.

He joined us quickly and wrapped his arms around Gen and I.

"This kind of hurts. Maybe we shouldn't invite him to hug us."

I wriggled out from between Gen and Andy, and gasped for breath. "I'm going to go get ready now. You guys are going to make me late," I glared at them but smiled after a few seconds.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I still can't believe my baby sis is graduating," Andy dramatically sighed, falling onto my bed.

"Get out, I have to change." I told him.

"Oh fine!" He yelled and got off my bed, storming out with flare.

"Damn, my brother is dramatic."

"I have to date him," Gen shook her head. She then looked at her watch, "It's 4:15, hurry!" she yelled at me and I ran into my closet.

I grabbed my black jeans and white shirt, before throwing them on with my black robe on top. I then grabbed my black converse, and ran back out of my closet and down the stairs.

"Don't trip on that thing," Gen eyed me as I barreled downstairs. Then, "we'll leave as soon as Andy gets down here." She yelled the last part, and was responded with a loud 'I'm coming!' from upstairs.

"He'll be a bit longer," I stated, and Gen laughed.

After about 5 minutes more, Andy came running down the stairs and almost ran into the kitchen counter, stopping with his hands braced on it and staring at Gen. His light brunette hair had fallen into his face, and he looked a bit crazy. "We can go now."

"What the hell happened to you?"

"I was trying to fix, but I just gave up." He shrugged. His hair kind of stuck up in the back, and he kept having to flick his bangs back.

"Okay," I said and gave him a look. "I don't want to be late!" I yelled again and finally walked outside.

"I'll drive, we all know how much Kendra hates driving," Andy teased, and I stopped to slap him across the head.

"I'm fine with driving, I just get a little distracted every time I do."

"Is that why you made Peyton do it for you every day for the last two years?" He looked down at me, with a smirk on his face before he continued to get inside the car.

"Yup. She didn't mind because it meant I wouldn't accidentally get into an accident. And you know, die."

"Well we wouldn't want that," I heard Andy say as I ducked into the back seat. Gen then got in last, and gave an annoyed sigh before asking if we could just fucking drive already.

Finally, Andy pulled out of the driveway and we were on the way to my school. My hands were shaking slightly, and I let out a labored breath.

"It'll be okay, I promise. You'll make it through," Gen turned around to look at me.

"I know that, it's just that this is it. I'm not going to be a high schooler anymore. It's terrifying."

"You could also trip in front of everyone," Andy added in.

"Thanks Andrew, now I have something else to worry about," I stated and Andy scoffed.

"Don't listen to him," Gen rolled her eyes. "And just know, you're damn right to be scared. Adulting is hard. But it can also be really good, and fun and new."

"Adulting?"

"Shh, just take the sentiment of my advice."

"Alright then. I'll try to calm down. Besides, I have you, Christopher, this idiot, Taylor, Olivia, Payton, and the rest of the gang to keep me calm."

"Exactly, you have a lot of people who will be there for you and to help you along."

"Yeah. I got this. I'm not gonna trip, and I'm gonna have a great time..."

"You'll do fine with this, and life." Gen gave a firm nod and smile, and Andy pulled into a parking spot. "Now go and graduate!" she said and I opened the door and practically fell out of the car.

"I'm not off to a great start, am I?" I sheepishly asked, smiling at Gen and Andy. My smile grew bigger as I noticed a large figure running towards me.

"Ken! You look great!" Christopher stated, kissing my cheek, and hugging me before looking up at who was in the car with me. "Who is this Ken?"

"Christopher, meet my brother Andrew, and his girlfriend Gen." He turned to me in confusion before I realized.

"Oh right, I said I was an only child," I said kind of sheepishly, guessing I was probably blushing. "It's a long story, and I'll tell it all to you later."

As Andy walked around the car, he glared at Chris as if assessing him. "Hello Christopher," he said in a way that was trying to be serious, and just made me snort.

"Uh- hi?" Chris stuttered slightly, his arm wrapping around my shoulder.

"Don't worry, he's just doing this to try and act as if he's tough. I'm sure he'll love you," I laughed and Chris laughed nervously as well.

"Well it's nice to meet you, sir." Chris went to shake Andy's hand. And stared him directly in the eyes, and shook his hand once, but held on as he squinted at him.

"Knock it off Andrew, I'm sure he's a fine young gentleman."

"You weren't here 3 days ago, some crap went down including this 'fine young gentleman'."

"Oh shut up, you've been shipping them since you found out about them. So knock it off before I slap you."

"Noooo," he whined then. "Please don't do that, you love me," he said to Gen and turned to give her puppy dog eyes, dropping Christopher's hand.

"Does this happen often?" Christopher asked, his eyes watching the couple interact closely.

"I wouldn't know, I only met her 2 days ago," I whispered.

"Let's just go find Liv or something," Chris said to me.

"I agree," I said quietly and then louder, "We're going to go now. Just know I won't see you until after the party. Chris can take me home."

"Don't do anything Andy would do!" Gen called, and I smiled. I grabbed Chris' hand and pulled him over to all the other graduating students,

We spotted Liv in the crowd, standing next to Anna and Peyton. I dragged Chris over to them. "Are you guys ready?" I yelled, trying to be heard over everyone else. "I'm so nervous!"

"Woah, when did you dye your hair?" Peyton asked, her hand reaching up to touch it. I playfully slapped her hand away and laughed.

"Gen took me and Liv yesterday. Now, are you nervous or not? I feel like I'm going to burst with all the anxiety."

"Oh yeah, Liv did that too. Huh," Peyton said. Olivia rolled her eyes and answered me, "yes Ken. We're all nervous."

"That's good right? That I'm not the only one nervous? God I'm nervous, what if I trip? Oh my god, what if -" I was cut off by Chris kissing me softly. "W-what was that for?"

"I thought it would make you stop rambling," he shrugged, giving me a lopsided grin.

"I've always wanted that to happen," I smiled, then I slapped him on the arm. "You took away my story book moment in this crowded anxiety ridden place."

"Oh give it a rest," Anna sighed and stuck her hip out. "You loved it, and needed it, and everything will be fine. You should be more worried about everything happening after graduation, not what will happen during the ceremony."

"I know, but I know what I'm going to do with my life. I'm going to be a teacher, have a nice house, have a few kids," I glanced at Christopher in that moment, and saw he was smiling at the prospect of having a family. "Honestly, I'm just going to be happy if my parents never come back. Thank god they aren't here today."

"Would that really make you happy?" Peyton came me a sad look, and then shook her head. "Anyway, we should find our spots."

"We should. And yeah, I'm much happier without them. I think they were the main reason I have so much anxiety about everything."

"Well it's been nice talking, but I have to go," Annalise said, tugging on Chris and Liv's arms. They both left with her for the beginning of the alphabet, and Payton and I went for the end. I was happy when we were able to sit right next to each other.

We waited for a while as things got settled and the speakers were finally ready to begin; Payton and I making small talk as we did so.

We were finally all brought to attention by the Principal clearing his throat.

"Hello graduates and family of graduates. Today you embark on the next part of your life. Please, do refrain from coming back to visit us," He started, and everyone laughed at his joke. "Before we get started, I'd like to also mention a few teachers who are leaving us along with the graduates-"

Some of the teachers I didn't know, being that I never was in their classes. But there were some that I remembered from my previous years in school. They were mostly older teachers retiring, but some must've gotten positions somewhere else.

Once the principal finished the list, he invited the Valedictorian up onto the stage. The girl, one I hadn't talked to before, smiled. She was fairly tall and had a graceful look to her. Her sleek black hair stuck out from under her cap. "So, this is it. We're finally leaving this place and becoming adults. That's terrifying."

Everyone laughed again,"Normally with these speeches you'd insert a quote to inspire your fellow peers and tell them that maybe life is going to be easy. But, I'm not going to do that because it's not. Life is terrifying and hard, and we have no clue where we are going to be in a year, let alone what we're going to be doing for the rest of our lives. I will however, tell you congratulations. We just got through the first 13 years of our education and look at us. We're still alive!"

Everyone started applauding, and there were a few whistles from throughout the crowd. "Now," she continued after the uproar died down a bit. "For some of us, this was a huge struggle just to get to this graduation. For others, there'll be 2 or 3 more to come. But either way, we've all survived high school. One big check mark on our bucket lists!" She waited once again, smiling at everyone. "I may not know you," she continued on after another pause, "but I'm still going to say that I'm proud of all the people sitting here today. The students who worked hard, the teachers that had to put up with us," everyone laughed again, and the girl smiled, shrugging her shoulders a bit. "And hey, would you look at that. An Asian chick got valedictorian!"

And with that conclusion, she walked off stage, waving as the gathering of people started shouting and clapping again. The Principal smiled and stood up again, and the nerves hit me when I realized he was about to call names.

"Okay, let's begin this long process," he declared, and then proceeded to read off the names of students. They all filed up one by one and crossed the stage, quickly going row by row.

The ceremony went fast, with Christopher getting his diploma followed by Anna and Liv. They were soon followed by the rest of the ragtag group of misfits we call friends, and I cheered loudly for each of them. I was surprised when our row was called to stand up, and my hands shook slightly.

When my name was called, I heard everyone I cared about cheer for me. I walked over to the principle and shook his hand as he handed me my diploma.

"Go Kenny!" was yelled by Andy as I walked off the stage and I made a mental note to give him a huge hug later.

The rest of the alphabet followed, a lot of T's and S's going after me. Before I knew it, it was over and I was in a group hug with all of my friends. I was buzzing with excitement and nervous energy. For the millionth time, I couldn't believe I was leaving high school. I'd have to go to college now, and get a real job. And all my friends seemed to be leaving me.

"Oh my god we did it! We're out of that hell hole forever!" Anna yelled, throwing her hands up in the air as a display of victory. We all laughed and Liv smiled widely at her girlfriend.

Andy made his way over to us, holding Gen's hand as he pulled her through the crowd. "So, you graduated," he smiled at the group. "What are you going to do now?"

"I'm going to go to Disney world!" Payton yelled. "Isn't that what they always say when they win the Superbowl?"

"I think so..." Christopher muttered, lightly running a hand through his hair.

"I am planning on spending the summer with my boyfriend, brother, my brothers girl friend, and my best friends," I replied, carefully taking Christopher's hand lightly into mine.

"And I'm planning to regain my sanity before I leave the country," Olivia gave a curt nod. "Now let's get to that after party thing."

_______________________________________

WE ARE BACK!

Though, I guess I never really left. I just took a miniature break.

ANYWAY, we hope you liked this chapter! We'll work on getting another one out soon. I swear.

Love,

Becca

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 134 19
"Well then. That's the first time a girl has ever rejected my close proximity," he said, eyes ablaze with a playful fire. "You better get used to it...
1.8M 60.6K 40
He needs a scholarship. She's... well, she's just being nice. To him, she's just another nerd. To her, he's just a washed up jock. But when he finds...
333K 12.1K 45
"We said whoever eats the most pizza has to do the dare no matter how cruel or easy it is." This is just a glimpse of our sleepovers. Ivy and Autumn...