The Entanglement Clause ✓

By amberkbryant

On the WATTYS 2017 SHORTLIST and Featured in COSMOPOLITAN!!! A Wattpad featured story with LOTS OF STEAM! ... More

Welcome to The Entanglement Clause!
Meet the Cast!
Chapter 1, part 1
Chapter 1, part 2
Chapter 2, part 1
Chapter 2, part 2
Chapter 2, part 3
Chapter 3, part 1
Chapter 3, part 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5, part 1
Chapter 5, part 2
Chapter 6, part 1
Chapter 6, part 2
Chapter 7, part 1
Chapter 7, part 2
Chapter 8, part 1
Chapter 8, part 2
Chapter 9, part 1
Chapter 9, part 2
Chapter 9, part 3
Chapter 10, part 1
Chapter 10, part 2
Chapter 11, part 1
Chapter 11, part 2
Chapter 12, part 1
Chapter 12, part 2
Chapter 12, part 3
Chapter 13, part 1
Chapter 13, part 2
Chapter 14, part 1
Chapter 14, part 2
Chapter 15, part 1
Chapter 15, part 2
Chapter 16, part 1
Chapter 17, part 1
Chapter 17, part 2
Chapter 18
Chapter 19, part 1
Chapter 19, part 2
Chapter 20, part 1
Chapter 20, part 2
Epilogue
Author's Note: Celebration!
The Pit: An Amazon Prime Video Panic Bonus Chapter
TEC Update and TRIDENT
Exclusive TEC Bonus Content!
TEC is now a video game!
I'm being published! Join my launch team!
Read my Pitch to Option winning story!
THE TRUE ONE available now!

Chapter 16, part 2

162K 6.2K 290
By amberkbryant

A/N: rock-aya made three awesome covers for TEC and I am featuring two in this update (scroll down to the bottom for the second) and a third in the next update. This one below makes my heart go pitter-patter. Their expressions are perfect! Thank you Rokaya, I love them all!

From the way Emmie and his sister were staring at him, his question as to why Emmie was here had come out a lot harsher than he'd meant it to. He'd been so surprised to see her next to Trisha in the audience, he could barely think of anything but her as he continued to smile at the cameras and shake hands with people as they pressed against the stage to introduce themselves. Really, they wanted an audience with UMA, not him, so as soon as it was socially acceptable, he'd handed control of UMA over to his project assistant, Zara, and then hurried backstage.

The sight of Emmie still moved him and he cursed himself for it. He was lost forever if he couldn't shake the gravitational pull she had on him, like he was a cold, lonely hunk of rock and she was the sun. It was in this burst of emotional recoil that he'd blurted out his question, meant simply as a friendly, "Oh, I didn't expect you here, what a nice surprise!" Instead, it was executed as an accusation of wrongdoing in which every issue between them—her secrecy, Sam, etc., was shot like a bullet through the room.

Emmie's smile fell and Trisha narrowed her eyes. He was a second away from what he was sure would be a brutal tongue lashing on Trisha's part when he managed to redeem himself. "That came out wrong. Completely. I'm just... winded from all the... robot conversing. What I meant to say is that I can't believe you would come all this way to see my talk and I'm deeply flattered." He contemplated reaching over to give her a friendly kiss on the cheek but didn't know how she'd take it. "I'm really glad you came – both of you. I just hope it didn't bore you."

Trisha shook her head and sighed, but her lips turned up into an amused grin. Just Ryker being Ryker – same oaf as always, she must be thinking. But it was Emmie's change of expression he was most interested in; her face glowed.

"Ryker, you have no idea how interesting all of it was – the whole talk, the demonstration with UMA. And the story you told about Mrs. Betty – did that all really happen? Poor woman!"

Trisha confirmed the incident. "I remember the whole town talking about it the day her daughter found her. She never made it back to the diner after that. Couldn't really get out of bed. So, Iola would pack lunches and bring them to her two or three times a week. She was a sweet woman. I wish she'd had an UMA in her life."

"Well at least she had her family. And you guys." Emmie's gaze focused on Ryker again. He shifted awkwardly. "I think it's wonderful, how that unfortunate situation propelled you to make something that would help people like her. You've done a good thing, Ryker."

"Yeah, underneath that ridiculous ego of his, my brother has had some shining moments."

"My ridiculous ego won't disagree with you. I often do shine." Ryker cleared his throat. "On another note, now that the TED talk is over, I'll, um... probably have a bit more time to come to Iola's for lunch, just like I used to."

Emmie raised an eyebrow. "Oh, so is that why you haven't been around? Too busy preparing for the talk, huh?"

Trisha smirked.

"It took a lot of time to put that presentation together and to make sure UMA was ready. This sort of in front of the camera event is essential– makes the company and UMA that much more visible to the public. But I'm always relieved when it's over and I can relax a bit... until the next big thing comes along, that is." Attempting to appear nonchalant, he leaned against a clothing rack stuffed with period costumes, from Edwardian to wild west. The rack began to slide under his weight and he righted himself up again just before losing balance and falling over. "Anyways, I'll, um... probably be at the diner tomorrow. And the next day. So, I'll get to see you..."

His voice trailed off as several more people made their way into the room. Turning to face them, he ended up shoulder to shoulder with Emmie. None of the new people looked more than vaguely familiar, but as they approached, their press badges caught the light. Of course: he'd been told by one of the TED producers that there would be reporters with some follow-up questions. There'd been a swarm of them around the stage after the talk but he'd forgotten that they were going to be let in backstage.

One of them asked him a question about the timeline for when UMA would be available on the market. As Ryker answered, stating that it would still be a few years, several reporters began snapping pictures.

Emmie gasped and slid behind him. Sensing her unease, he motioned for them to stop. "If we could just stick to questions, please. My... friend here is outraged and embarrassed to be seen with me."

He received a kick in his shin for that. Trisha came over, blocking Emmie from the reporters as she latched on to Ryker's arm. "I have no qualms, however." She smiled broadly. "I got over the embarrassment of him being my brother after he built our grandmother a house and donated money to build a wind turbine farm for a village in Tanzania. It doesn't totally make up for his lack of social decorum, but it goes a long way."

Soon, Trisha was fielding as many questions from the reporters as he was, playing the longsuffering sister card to great effect. Emmie stayed behind them, or so he thought. When the reporters left, he turned around, only to find her gone.

"Excellent job, Ryker, you've scared her off again."

"Okay, this time I know it's not my fault. She just froze as soon as she saw the cameras. I didn't even know they'd be taking pictures of me without UMA present, or that she'd even be here at all. Besides, what does it matter?"

"I don't exactly know, but it worries me. Her eyes were like saucers, like she was afraid the cameras would steal her soul. We need to find her."

Trisha left to see if she'd gone up through one of the hallways leading to the lobby, while Ryker ventured back further into the depths of the theater. After searching several dressing areas and a prop room, it seemed his search would be futile. As he made his way back towards the stage so that he could navigate through the auditorium to find his sister, he spied a mop of auburn hair out of the corner of his eye. There she was, nestled on the floor of one of the stage's wings amidst the fly system used to raise and lower curtains and backdrops during theatrical performances.

He extended a hand and lifted her back onto her feet. "Camera shy, are we?'

"I didn't used to be." She brushed her free hand across both cheeks and then wiped the hand on her sweater.

Ryker frowned, wondering why on Earth she'd be reduced to tears over something as silly as having her picture taken.

"Maybe you can tell me sometime why that changed... when you're ready. If you're ready. And if you're never ready, that's okay too. No pressure."

She stood before him, biting her lips. It was all he could do not to wrap his arms around her.

"Um, Ryker, I was just wondering... can those journalists use a picture of me and publish it? I didn't sign a release or anything."

"Well... you're not a minor and they didn't come onto your property to get a shot of you... This is a public event and the press was invited to it by the event organizers and with my permission, so, I'm not really sure they can't." He shrugged. "I've never been in the situation of not wanting my photo published."

"Can you... can you ask them not to publish it?"

"I could, I suppose... if I knew who they all were and who they worked for. Even then, they could ignore my request. Why is this so important?"

She bit her lip again. "I should find Trisha. She promised to give me a whirlwind tour of Seattle."

So, that was the end of this line of conversation, then. Ryker sighed internally, but decided it was best to go with the flow. "I'm guessing that means you'll be watching them throw fish at the Market. Trish always brings people to see that."

"What? You mean, live fish? Eww. Why would they do that?"

"Well, they're not alive any more, but they are real, if that's what you mean. And I have no idea why. It's a thing. I've never gotten the appeal of it myself, but tourists love it."

"There's your answer as to why they do it then. Dead fish throwing sells." She pulled her phone from her purse and examined it. "Trisha just texted me like ten times asking me where I am, but I had my phone silenced. Better go meet her. She said she's by the front doors." She looked around, scrunched up face indicating she had no idea which direction the front doors would be in.

"Okay, it's this way." He gestured to his left. "Beyond that archway, take a right, head out the door and up the ramp and you'll eventually end up in the lobby."

"Thanks." She started heading away, then paused. "I'll see you at Iola's right?"

"There's a BLT with my name on it and it's not going to eat itself."

She began walking away again. "Tell UMA I said goodbye."

"Will do." After watching her go, he wandered back onstage to where the robot still sat, now in sleep mode. UMA's team was busy packing up. As he assisted them, he considered the events that had played out in the last half hour. The fear that he'd inadvertently done something to cause Emmie to panic continued to grow.

He caught Zara just as she was about to carry a box of electronic equipment out to the company van. "Zara, is there a way to track down a list of all of the press people who were here today?"

Zara, used to being asked far more unusual questions by her boss than this, didn't hesitate to reply. "I can look into it, if you'd like."

"I'd like, yes. Thanks."

Later, as he drove back to Moon Beach, Ryker mulled over this new mystery. Emmie was more than camera shy: she was in fear for her life. If there was one thing he needed to do, it was to figure out why.

A/N: For any of you not familiar with the practice of fish tossing, this picture ^^^ depicts Pike Place Market in Seattle, with a fish mid throw. Because this is something that exists in the world. 

Back to the story... has Ryker redeemed himself? We know why Emmie freaked out about having her picture taken. On a scale of one to catastrophic, how bad do you think this is going to be for her?

Votes today will be used to buy coffee for UMA team member Zara, who will be working overtime trying to get a list of all of the press people at the TED talk. Let's hope she works fast!

Today's dedication is for my featured cover-maker, Rokaya Hj. Thanks again!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

350K 10.6K 27
It has been years since I have seen him. He left me laying in his bed naked and in love. I really thought I hated him, I really thought he would stay...
2M 57.5K 45
~COMPLETED~ | This story is being slowly edited. "As much as you want to plan your life, it has a way of surprising you with unexpected things that w...
Lethal Lust By Kit

General Fiction

252K 9.8K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...
4.8M 110K 31
THIS IS ONE OF MY FIRST BOOKS ON WATTPAD. "Get out", he shouted at me "get out now and never come back" I wiped at the tears that were streaming dow...