Saudade (Published under Indi...

Galing kay sielalstreim

I'm scared of the sea. I can't help but think of the danger it brings. The width and depth seem forever. But... Higit pa

PART I - Chapter 1: Sea Port City
Chapter 2: The Prisoners
Chapter 3: The Knight and the Ruler
Chapter 4: The Show
Chapter 5: The Menace
Chapter 6: Taken
Chapter 7: Fall and Fly
Chapter 8: Obsidian
Chapter 9: The Jonah of Obsidian
Chapter 10: Separate Worlds
Chapter 11: Wrecked Heart
Chapter 12: Misty Rain
Chapter 13: Borgian Island
Chapter 14: Sunset
Chapter 16: The Crow's Nest
Chapter 17: The Thief and the Murderer
Chapter 18: Midnight Dream
Chapter 19: The Forsaken Land
Chapter 20: Sad Song
Chapter 21: The Skull
Chapter 22: The Stormy Sea
Chapter 23: The Adventures of the Brave Heart
Chapter 24: The Pirate City
Chapter 25: The Mermaid
Chapter 26: The Monsters of the Pirate City
Chapter 27: The Invitation of Captain Rowaen
Chapter 28: The Captain of the Pirate City
Chapter 29: Far from the Land of Fairy Tale
Chapter 30: Under the Moon
Chapter 31: The Poison in the Pirate's Wine
Chapter 32: The Anchor and the Signal Fire
Chapter 33: Sea Ghost
Chapter 34: The Judgment of Poseidon
Chapter 35: The Darkest Morning
Chapter 36: The Tears of the Sea
Chapter 37: The Fall of the Pirate City
PART II - Chapter 38: After Dreaming
Chapter 39: A New Perspective
Chapter 40: The Ghosts in the Woods
Chapter 41: The Agreement in the North Castle
Chapter 42: Strange Possibilities
Chapter 43: The Ruined Castle
Chapter 44: The Visitors of the East Castle
Chapter 45: The Eastern Woods
Chapter 46: Blood in the Mainland
Chapter 47: A Deeper Grave
Chapter 48: An Act of Resistance
Chapter 49: The Lake of Dreams
Chapter 50: The Cost of a Name
Chapter 51: The Lady's Acceptance
Chapter 52: The Wedding Thief
Chapter 53: Limbo of the Lost
Chapter 54: The Secrets of the Borgian Castle
Chapter 55: Poison and Blood
Chapter 56: The Black Butterfly
Chapter 57: The First Rule
Chapter 58: Cats in the Castle
Chapter 59: Before the War
Chapter 60: Little Wildflower
Chapter 61: Death in the Woods
Chapter 62: Lovers in the Borgian Castle
Chapter 63: Bad Blood Brothers
Chapter 64: Peril in the East Castle
Chapter 65: The Cage and the Lost Key
Chapter 66: Trampled Flowers in the Dead Field
Chapter 67: Blood and Madness
Chapter 68: The Battle at the Safety Rock
Chapter 69: The Brothers, the Forest Fairy, and the Castle Garden
Chapter 70: Na Guerra Ninguém Ganha
Epilogue
Saudade Playlist

Chapter 15: Dinner with the Pirates

35.8K 2K 270
Galing kay sielalstreim

CHAPTER 15: Dinner with the Pirates

I felt nervous. I wasn't sure if it was the bad kind because, of course, I would be dining with pirates or the good kind because I would be having dinner with Threy. I could probably just stay in my cabin but I would risk not eating anything for the night. I was hungry and it was a long night before sunrise. So, I took the cloth bag Erasmus gave me earlier containing some clothes I could use. Since he didn't see me in Borgian Island, he decided to get some clothes for me before going back to the Obsidian.

I was pacing in my small cabin when I heard a sound from the door. I wondered if it was a pirate whom Threy ordered to fetch me or if it was Erasmus with my dinner. As I opened it, I sighed in relief when I saw Roger on my doorstep licking its furry paw.

"Well, good evening, Roger. I think I could use your help."

He glanced at me for a short time and continued licking. He did not seem to be in the mood to talk. But there must be a reason why he was here, visiting me in my cabin so I simply continued talking to him.

"The Skull invited me for dinner. But it's not like what you think! It isn't a romantic dinner. For one, it's pretty obvious that he isn't into me. And the dinner is with the pirates, of course. If he wanted to have dinner with me – I mean, really, really wanted - he wouldn't have invited others aside from me, right? But it's making me uncomfortable and I wonder if I should go or just stay here and enjoy my safety. What do you think should I do?"

Roger simply continued licking his body like he didn't hear anything I said. I decided to rub his back which he seemed to enjoy.

"Okay, so if you 'meow' that means I shouldn't go because meow-ing and not going are easier. But if you stop licking your body and stare into my eyes, it means that I should go. So what do you think?"

I stopped rubbing his back and he stopped licking himself. A moment later, Roger stared into my eyes – almost as if he was staring into my soul – and it made me feel uncomfortable. I stood up and broke my connection to him.

"Sometimes, you and your kind are really creepy. I'll go change my clothes." I started to walk back to my cabin. But Roger followed me just before I could close the door.

"I said I'm going to change. Get out, Roger," I said.

But Roger simply walked to my desk and sat there looking at me. I rolled my eyes as I closed the door. He was just a cat. He wouldn't tell anyone he saw me without clothes on. I picked a casual outfit from the bag Erasmus gave me and started to undress.

"Meow."

I glanced at Roger while putting my clothes on and said, "You're such a pervert, Roger. I'll ask someone to arrest you and bring you to jail when I get back to the East Land."

"Meow." The only word Roger said. I didn't think it felt threatened. 

I heard a knock on my door as I finished my. I thought it was Erasmus come to bring me food or walk with me down the dining area. So I was surprised to see him at my door. A smile was far away from his face and he got even more serious when he saw Roger on my desk.

"Why would you let Roger inside your cabin?" He frowned.

I glanced at Roger who was watching us quietly with his icy blue eyes. He looked harmless as he quietly sat on my desk. I turned to Threy and defended Roger.

"He helped me decide whether I should go to the dinner or just stay here. He even accompanied me as I changed my clothes."

That's when he glared at Roger and took a step inside my cabin. I was caught off-guard by Threy Weston's rudeness but I realized that it was the Skull who's with me at the moment. I watched him walked towards Roger and was about to get him. But he hesitated for a moment before finally grabbing him by its neck.

But Roger wasn't lovely as I thought he was. He fought back and bit Threy's hand which caused the latter to throw Roger away. The cat jumped and ran swiftly leaving my cabin behind. I walked to Threy and tried to grab his hand that was bitten. But as I touched his hand, I felt the electricity that was sent to my body and realized how close we were to each other. Threy seemed to realize it, too so he took his hand back and kept it in the pocket of his trousers.

"It would take millions of cats to defeat me. It's just a scratch from that filthy, sneaky Roger." He said without looking at me.

I guessed I crossed the line this time without realizing it. I stepped back a little and sighed deeply. He probably needed more space between us.

"Do I still have to go to the dinner?" I asked.

"Do you want to?"

I frowned when he answered my question with another question. I was wondering a few moments ago if I should go or not. But after the conversation with Roger and him being here, I had already made my decision.

"There must be a reason why you invited me to have dinner with the pirates. I think I should go. I'd like to trust you about this."

I tried to make it sound formal and made sure that he wouldn't see the nervousness I was feeling. I decided to make my way out of my cabin and waited for him by the door. I watched him silently as he stood frigidly facing my desk as if Roger was still sitting there. I knew it already the moment I saw him with Captain Drakon but I would say it again: he had really changed. A lot. He's taller, colder, and unpredictable. I didn't know if I could still trust him as the Skull but I chose to do so. Even his family would have a hard time recognizing him, even getting him back. When he turned to me, I knew that was my cue to look away. I didn't want to make this night even more uncomfortable.

I heard him coming towards me and closed the door of my cabin. I followed him as he walked on the hall down to the forecastle. I could already hear the laughter and voices as we took the stairs and when we finally reached the dining area, everyone stopped from what they're doing and focused their attention on us. I decided to look for Erasmus and I saw him on a table beside Captain Drakon and the man who ate the egg in the Borgian Island. I knew Threy was going to head on that table and I had no choice but to join them. I shouldn't feel nervous since this was what I actually came for, right?

"Good evening, Primrose. How was your trip to the Borgian Island?" Captain Drakon asked as he gestured for us to be seated.

He was a completely different person from the first time I saw him. He was still scary but he seemed to be more approachable this time. Maybe he just used the tough look to intimidate every people he met.

"I – I prefer not going back in there," I answered sheepishly and honestly.

I glanced at the people on our table and smiled when I met Erasmus' eyes. I received an opposite response when I saw the man beside him. He glared at me and stabbed the meat on his plate with his fork. But I didn't really care about that. I just stared at his plate hungrily. Meat!

"Surely, Borgian Island calls only for the adventurous," Captain Drakon commented. "This is Owain, my eldest son. I've heard that you've met each other already on the Borgian Island."

I looked up from the food on the plate to the people across me on the table. "We didn't actually meet. He just ate my breakfast without my permission. Is egg his favorite?"

I received no answers. But the dining area was suddenly roaring with laughter from the pirates which caused Owain to throw looks of daggers at me. I felt the need to join the rest in laughing, uncomfortably. Threy, who seemed to be the only pirate aside from Owain who wasn't laughing, put a plate with a large chunk of grilled meat in front of me. I whispered gratitude towards him which he probably didn't hear.

"I don't like her." I heard said Owain and when I looked up from eating my food, I saw him still glaring at me.

"You don't need to. The Skull demanded her safety and we will make sure that it'll be granted." Captain Drakon answered in between drinking his ale.

Owain continued on glaring at me but the pirates started to ask silly questions which caused more laughter in the dining area. And at that moment, I felt less scared. I somehow found understanding as to why they left the land for an adventure in the sea. They expressed their loyalty to the captain and amazed me as to how they treated Obsidian as their home.

The night got deeper and the Pirates finished up to turn shifts on the posts while some arrived on the dining area for the next batch of supper. Captain Drakon soon left the table with Erasmus tailing behind him.

I decided to rise on my feet and head back to my cabin. I received biddings for a good night sleep from some pirates which I gladly returned with my own wish of their peaceful sleep. I was already walking down the hall when I felt a hand grabbed my arm. I turned around to see Owain looking down at me, fuming with anger.

"You will not embarrass me in front of my men again!" His words were filled with venom – it was almost stinging my ear.

"Let go of my arm!" Fear started to catch me as I tried to pull my arm back from his rough hand.

"Not until I make sure that you'll never do it again." And then he slammed my body into the wall so hard I thought either the wood or my back would break in an instant.

"You are only showing what an embarrassment you are!" I said which I partly regret when I saw fire in his eyes as he raised his right hand to slap me. I closed my eyes as I waited for him to strike my face. But it didn't come. Instead, I heard a familiar furious voice as Owain was violently pulled away from me. I opened my eyes to see my attacker on the floor and Threy standing right in front of him.

"I swear if you ever touch her again–" Threy stopped and tried to control his anger by clenching his fists.

"What? Are you gonna kill me? I am the son of the Captian of Obsidian and I am the first mate!" Owain screamed back.

Some pirates started to appear behind Threy eager to watch what would happen next.

"Are you gonna go against me?" Threy asked between gritted teeth.

Owain fell silent as he looked at the pirates around them. He knew they all looked up and respected Threy more than him. They would side with the Skull than the son of the Captain. After few seconds of glaring at us, Owain got up to his feet and marched angrily away. Threy turned to the pirates behind him and they immediately hurried back to their posts. I was left leaning on the wall with Threy in front of me. My heart was still hammering in my chest.

"Thank you for saving me..." I began.

"Owain is the Obsidian's First Mate. Try not to piss him off." He said and turned to me. The rage I saw in him when he was saving me from Owain was already gone. His eyes were now blank from emotions making me doubt the words I was about to say.

"I – I did not intend to offend him."

"Your tactlessness will not help you in the pirate world. You are far from the mainland."

And that was when I decided not to answer back. I just frowned at him as I realized that he was trying to defend Owain from me. He made me feel like I was the one who was at fault in this situation.

"You better go sleep now. It's been a long day." He finally said when he didn't get any response from me. I just looked at him unbelievingly as he strode away on the hallway towards the deck outside.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

134K 4.4K 20
Have you ever had that moment, when you thought life was normal? You and your family were happy but in the next moment. It turns into Hell! That's h...
3 0 2
Pirates roam and sail these oceans, ravage these lands, and take all that they desire. They slash each other down in endless wars upon the seas and p...
8.1K 265 20
I have always loved the water. My family has always been near water. My uncle was a an oceanographer which had me interested in what he does. It...
3.4K 325 25
I have suffered a lot. And he made sure to make me suffer more. He did every possible way to torture me. But he didn't realize, I am the princess...