Faking It || l.r.h

By Hemmocliffoodirwin

⚠️TW: Mention of abuse, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts. Read at your own risk.⚠️ - He needed someone to mak... More

1. The Break-up
2. Crush
3. Party
4. Later
5. Monday
6. Plan
7. Practice
8. Kissing Act
9. Try
10. Burn
11. Fake Date
12. Fight
13. Move On
14. Eye
15. Video
16. Bowling
17. Dinner
18. Mistake
19. Flirt
20. Tutor
21. Better
22. Forgive and Forget
23. Or Not
24. Mall
25. Trust Me
26. Movie
27. Amusement Park
28. Home
29. Gift
30. Over
31. Here We Go Again
32. Wishing We Could Start Again
33. Cookies
34. Eve
35. Christmas
36. Advice
37. Second Chances
38. Band
39. The Beach
40. Detention
41. Doubt
42. Confusion
43. Guilt
44. Truth
45. In Denial
46. Done
47. Independence Day
48. Midnight Memories
49. Netflix and Chill
50. Runaways
The End + Thanks

BONUS CHAPTER: The Reactions

4.7K 113 232
By Hemmocliffoodirwin

*AN: I realized I never gave Avery's dad a name so it'll be Stefan. And their last name is Greene.

~Cam

*Dylan's POV*

"You did good, but I still won." Nick chuckled as we entered my house. We made a bet to see who could get here first and I obviously lost.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes, chuckling, "I was like, two seconds behind."

"But that two seconds is what caused you to lose." He pointed out.

I opened the fridge and grabbed two bottles of water, tossing him one. "Moving on, where does the winner want to go for dinner tonight?" The deal was the loser would take the winner out wherever they wanted and pay.

"How about a quiet night in?" He smirked, coming closer to me and placing his hands on my waist, causing butterflies to erupt in my stomach. "My parents went on this day trip and won't be back until tomorrow night. So you can come to my place and make me dinner. And then after dinner, we can do whatever you want." He pulled me closer.

"I like the sound of that." I bit my lip.

He leaned in and his lips barely touched mine when I heard my little sister squeal.

"Nick!" She said excitedly.

He let go of me and turned to her, smiling. "Hey, Jamie." She ran to him and jumped into his arms, hugging him. I swear she loves him more than me.

"Ew," she scrunched her nose, "you stink."

"Well I did just beat your big brother in a race." He chuckled. I nudged him and rolled my eyes, smiling.

"Did you want something specific, Jamie?" I asked. She's my sister and I love her, but she really just ruined the moment.

"I wanted to see Nick and mum wants you to go check the mail."

"Alright." I nod, leaving them and heading outside.

I got to the end of the driveway and opened the mailbox, pulling out the letters and closing it afterwards. As I walked back up to the house, I looked through the mail and was confused when I saw two letters with my name on them. They must've been hand delivered because there was no postage stamp or sender's address on them.

I recognized one of them to have Avery's handwriting on it and that confused me even more. The other one had terrible penmanship and I couldn't tell who it was from.

I went back inside and gave my mum the mail, keeping my two letters and heading up to my room. The first thing I wanted to do was text Avery to see why the heck she'd write me a letter but I decided not to. Maybe she was planning some sort of surprise and this is her way of delivering it somehow.

I opened her letter first and began reading it. It didn't take me long to realize that this wasn't some sort of surprise, but a goodbye. I had to read the first paragraph multiple times before continuing because it wasn't making sense. Her dad abused her for years and she never told me about it? She's been depressed, she hurt herself, she's even thought about killing herself. She's been going through so much for so long and never bothered to talk about it with me, her best friend.

To say I was hurt was an understatement. I felt like I didn't even know her because she didn't bother to include me in a huge part of her life. I could've helped her. There was so much we could've done to get her out of there but she chose to leave and never return.

I continued with the letter, wiping my tears before they could fall on the paper, and read about how much I meant to her. If I really was like a brother to her, would she have left me? I loved her and I would've done anything for her, but she abandoned me and couldn't even manage to say goodbye to my face.

I was balling by the time I finished the letter. I folded it back up and stuffed it into the envelope, picking up the next one. Since she put that Luke was leaving with her, I assumed this one was from him. It's kind of weird that he even bothered to write to me, we hated each other for most of our weird relationship.

His mostly talked about why he left with her and what I meant to him. He didn't hesitate to mention that he couldn't stand me in the beginning, but he did say he admired how close Avery and I were and how protective I am of her.

After reading both letters, I was still left wondering what I did wrong. How could she leave like that? Why'd she never tell me she was going through so much pain? Am I that bad a friend because I didn't recognize years of suffering?

I picked up my phone to call her. Maybe I could stop her and we could work all of this out together.

There was no answer.

I tried again and again only to end up with the same voicemail. I went to our messages and sent multiple texts.

Me: Avery, what the hell is going on? Why'd you leave this letter and why aren't you picking up your phone?

Me: I swear I'll hunt you down if you don't come home. Why would you leave me? I thought we were best friends that told each other everything.

I tossed my phone to the side and wiped my eyes. I could feel my nose starting to run and I sucked up the snot, being too hurt and lazy to get a tissue.

From the way she was talking, I'll never see her again and I can't have that. How am I supposed to go through life without ever seeing my best friend- my sister- someone that I love so much, ever again?

"This can't be happening." I whispered to myself.

"What can't be happening?" A voice asked. I looked up to see Nick hovering in my doorway, concern etched on his face. "What's wrong?" He came in and sat next to me on my bed.

I shook my head. "A-Avery..." I sniffled, "she's g-gone."

"What do you mean gone?" He asked.

"She ran away!" I cried. "And she's never coming back." I put my head in my hands and continued to ball my eyes out.

He started rubbing my back and saying things to calm me down but none of it worked. I never even noticed she was in pain, what kind of friend does that make me?

"You'll see her again, trust me. She loves you too much to cut you off forever." He said.

I sniffled and looked at him. "I hope you're right."

*Hemmings' Family POV*

Ben

I woke up to the sound of my alarm and shut it off, climbing out of bed and putting on a pair of sweatpants and a shirt before grabbing my shoes and heading downstairs quietly so I didn't wake anyone. I laced up my shoes downstairs and made sure I had my keys in my pocket before putting in my earphones and leaving the house.

I began jogging down the street, waving to passing neighbors as I did so. It was a surprisingly cool morning. The sun wasn't too high, there was a little breeze- it was a nice start to the day.

When I got back, I checked the mail and looked through it as I walked up to the front door. I found it weird how we all had letters with our names on them but with no sender's address. One of them was even addressed to the family as a whole.

I went inside and up to my room, sitting on the bed and opening my letter. I definitely wasn't prepared for what I saw inside. I should've recognized the handwriting to be Luke's from the beginning.

I read the letter and then read it again and again because it was unbelievable. My little brother; gone and never to return. This is all just so hard to process.

I grabbed the other letters and went to my parents' room first to deliver the bad news. The look on mum's face was enough to break my heart and dad's eyes held an empty look as he got up after reading the letter and left the room. Then mum got out of bed and left the room, going into Luke's and seeing that it was actually clean for once.

She sat on his bed and looked down, tears falling onto her lap.

"Mum..." my voice drifted off as I sat down and began to rub her back. I didn't really know what to say to her. Yeah I lost a brother, but she lost a son. "He'll be back, someone'll find him." I say in the most assuring tone I can muster.

But I only said that so she'd feel better. Who knows how long he's been gone and how far he could be.

"I'm...I'm gonna go give Jack his letter, okay?" I asked. I guess she heard me, although she didn't react to my statement in any kind of way. "And here's another one that's for all of us, I'm guessing Avery wrote it. I'm gonna leave it right here for you."

I left her on the bed and went to Jack's room, taking a deep breath before knocking on the door

Jack

"Dude!" There was a series of knocks on my door. "Dude, get up now! This is important."

I groaned, throwing the covers off of me and standing up, not bothering to put on a shirt.

"Look, Ben," I said as I walked towards the door, "not everyone enjoys getting up as early as you." I opened the door to reveal my older brother with the most panicked expression on his face. "What's wrong?" I asked, moving my hair out of my face.

"It's Luke...h-he's gone."

"Gone? What do you mean gone?"

He held up an envelope with my name on it. I snatched it from him and tore it open, reading each line and my heart sinking as I did.

"He's gone..." I looked back at my brother and he just nodded, fighting tears. "Do mum and dad know?"

He nodded. "He wrote them their own letters. Avery even wrote one to the family as a whole."

I leaned against my door frame, still trying to process all of this. This is all so...wow. I'm at a loss for words. It's so hard to believe but it's real 'cause there's a letter to prove it.

I laughed a cold and empty laugh. I had no idea what to do. It was either laugh or cry and if I started crying, I don't know when I'd stop.

I know I tease him all the time but that doesn't mean I don't love him, he's my baby brother for fuck's sake. But now he's gone and all he left was a letter. Why didn't he come to us first? I see he wasn't the one with the issues, it was Avery, but still, why not? We all like her, we could've helped somehow.

"Have you tried calling him?" I asked.

"Yeah and he didn't pick up." He shook his head.

"Where's mum and dad?"

"Mum's in Luke's room and dad went out to look for him."

I went back into my room to throw on a shirt and some basketball shorts. "I'm gonna go out, too. You should probably go comfort mum." I grabbed my keys and walked passed him and down the stairs. I quickly left the house and got in my car, pulling off and heading down the street.

I just hope nothing bad happens to him.

Liz

I woke up to the sound of my alarm and shut it off, climbing out of bed and heading to the bathroom to do my business and shower.

After bathing, I slipped on my robe and walked back into my room to find some clothes to put on.

"Good morning." My husband said.

"Morning." I smiled, opening my drawer and pulling out a bra and panties. I untied my robe to put them on and I could feel Andrew's eyes on me. "I can feel you staring." I chuckled, taking out a shirt and sweatpants.

"Can you blame me? I've got a sexy wife." He grinned.

I chuckled, going over to the bed after I was dressed and laying across it, kissing his cheek. "What would you like for breakfast?"

"Blueberry pancakes." He replied.

I nod, close to getting up when Ben bursts into our room.

"Woah woah where's the fire?" Andy chuckled.

"You guys have got to read these." He says, handing us each a letter. We gave each other a puzzled look before opening them and peeking inside.

As I read line after line, I could feel my heart break more and more. This was all so confusing and unlike him. Why would he leave like this? And why wouldn't he at least come talk to us first? We could've done something for Avery so they both would've stayed here instead of running away without much money, with no plan- nothing.

Andy left the room before I did. I went into to Luke's room and looked around. His guitar is gone and so's his laptop. All of his drawers are empty and his room is actually clean for once.

I sat on his bed and couldn't withhold the tears any longer. My head hung low as I cried, the tears falling onto my lap.

"Mum..." Ben's voice drifted off as he sat next to me and began to rub my back. "He'll be back, someone'll find him."

I didn't look at him, I couldn't. I was too heartbroken because my son is gone, my youngest son at that.

"I'm...I'm gonna go give Jack his letter, okay? And here's another one that's for all of us, I'm guessing Avery wrote it. I'm gonna leave it right here for you." He sat the letter down and I didn't respond or react to his words, he just got up and left the room.

I guess Andy went out to look for him since I haven't seen or heard from him since he left our room a while ago. I just hope he's able to bring him home.

Andy

I heard Liz's annoying morning alarm go off and I groaned, rolling over just as she got out of bed and headed to the bathroom. I sat up and stretched, reaching over and grabbing my glasses from the nightstand along with my tablet.

I began to check my email, responding to a few of them when my wife walked out of the bathroom and to the dresser to find some clothes to put on.

"Morning." She smiled.

"Good morning." I replied, not being able to take my eyes off of her.

"I can feel you staring." She chuckled.

"Can you blame me? I've got a sexy wife." I grinned.

She chuckled and came over to the bed, laying across it and kissing my cheek. "What would you like for breakfast?"

"Blueberry pancakes" I replied.

Right after I answered her question, Ben burst into our room.

"Woah woah where's the fire?" I chuckled.

"You guys have got to read these." He says, handing the two of us a letter. We give each other confused glances before tearing them open and reading them.

As I read, I didn't know how to feel. I was hurt, heartbroken, confused- yet I couldn't seem to express those emotions. I just sat there, staring at his name at the end of the letter.

I noticed my wife's face drop out of the corner of my eye and I couldn't take seeing her so hurt. I climbed out of bed and left the room, heading downstairs and grabbing my keys off the hook before walking out to my car, still in my plaid pajama pants and t-shirt.

I quickly took off down the street without a destination in mind. I don't know if I want to go somewhere to clear my head or if I should drive to every place he likes to hang out to look for him. I'm trying to process everything but it's all too much and it doesn't make any sense.

My son, who loves his friends and family, packs up and leaves without a real explanation. At least he had the audacity to write a letter but talking to us before he made such a foolish decision would've been much better. I understand he loves her and he felt like he needed to leave with her but I really do wish he had considered other options, preferably ones that didn't involve leaving his family in heartbreak.

I'm so stressed and worried that I can't even think straight. But I do know that right now, I need to find him.

*Calum's POV*

"Come in." I said, not looking up from the lyrics I was writing.

My door creaked open to reveal my older sister, Mali-Koa.

"Mum said breakfast is ready." She stated.

"Alright," I nod, "I'll be right down."

She pulls the door shut as she leaves and I get up from my desk and put on a shirt before heading down.

"Morning, mum." I kiss her cheek before sitting down and loading my plate with pancakes.

"Good morning." She smiled, taking a sip of her coffee.

Breakfast was pretty quiet, mainly on my end. Mum and Mali were talking here and there but I just sat and ate my food, not really paying attention to their conversation.

After breakfast, Mali helped our mum clean off the table and I went to go take a shower. I closed the bathroom door and turned on the water and waited for it to get warm. I took my phone out of my pocket to put on some music, turning it all the way up and stripping before stepping under the hot water.

After bathing, I stepped out and shook my head, grabbing a towel and rubbing it against my soaked hair before wrapping it around my waist.

I leave the bathroom and head back into my room to get dressed. I approach my bed and notice two envelopes. Confused, I pick them up and they both have my name on them, one in what I can tell to be Luke's illegible handwriting and one with nicer penmanship.

I sat down and opened up the one with nicer handwriting first. While I was reading, I was growing more and more confused and I could feel tears brim my eyes.

So it seems the nice handwritten letter is from Avery and she's running away? But why? I mean the letter explains why but is that really the only option she could come up with? She left her friends who care so much about her.

I looked down at Luke's letter sitting in my lap and I already knew what it was gonna say. I'm sure she said something to him about this and he loves her too much to let her leave on her own. He definitely went with her and that means I lost two amazing friends.

I opened Luke's letter to confirm my assumption. A majority of it is spent apologizing and explaining why he had to leave. The other part was him thanking me for years of being a great friend and always being there for him.

This is ridiculous. This can't be happening, I've got to be dreaming. Someone's gonna burst into this room right now and laugh in my face and make fun of me for being so gullible.

I sat there for a few minutes and nothing happened. This was all definitely real and I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm failing as a friend because I wasn't able to help her. She hid her pain very well 'cause no one knew. And now she's gone and Luke went with her.

I ran my fingers through my hair and tugged at the roots. What now? How long have they been gone? How far have they gotten?

I picked up my phone to call Mike. I'm sure they left explanations for all of us so he's bound to have one.

My hands were shaking as I unlock it and go to the phone app and click on his name. I checked my clock and it wasn't yet ten and I know he hates anyone bugging him before then but this is way too important.

I sat as I listened to it ring once...twice...three times. By the time it reaches the fifth ring, I was doubting he'd pick up.

"You better have a good fucking reason for waking me up." He growls.

*Michael's POV*

The bed shifts beside me which lets me know that Crystal is getting out of bed and getting dressed to leave. I don't need any of that cutesie morning-after-sex-talk shit, especially this early. She already knows the drill; she comes over, we fuck, she gets up early and leaves- end of story. She and I are fine with the arrangement 'cause neither of us want anything more than sexual pleasure.

"I'll see you later." She says and kisses my forehead.

"Mhmm." I hum, keeping my eyes closed. I hear the door open and close and I turn over in my bed.

As I'm getting ready to settle back into my deep sleep, my phone rings. I groan and mentally cuss out whoever is calling me right now, knowing good and well I don't like waking up before ten.

I contemplate whether or not I should answer, seeing as how whatever it is could probably wait another hour or two.

It kept ringing and ringing and I finally snatched it off the nightstand and clicked the green button.

"You better have a good fucking reason for waking me up." I growl through the phone.

"I'm really sorry, man, but this is majorly important." Cal said. "Since you were sleeping, I'm sure you haven't gotten letters from Luke or Avery yet."

"Letters? Who the hell mails shit anymore?"

"They didn't mail them. They left them in the mailboxes this morning. They ran away, dude." His voice was shaking and I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" I asked. I was still too tired to really comprehend his words.

"Your best friend and his girlfriend packed their bags and left town. What part about that are you not understanding!" His voice was raised now.

"Hey hey, don't yell." I swung my legs over the edge of my bed and stood up. "When'd they leave?"

"I don't know!" I could just imagine him throw his hand up in the air. "But we need to find them and bring them back."

"Yeah yeah I got all of that. D'you call Ash yet?"

"You're the first one I called." He said.

"Well call him and I'll get dressed and head out."

We hung up and I grabbed the first pair of shorts I could find on my floor and pulled a random t-shirt over my head. I grabbed a beanie to cover my bed hair, my shoes, and keys and left my room and went downstairs. I could tell neither of my parents were up because I didn't smell breakfast so I'm sure they wouldn't mind me leaving in a rush like this.

I got in my car and turned it on and remembered the letters Cal mentioned before. I got back out and jogged to the mailbox to find two envelopes with my name on them. I took them back to my car and tore open the one that didn't have Luke's horrid handwriting on it.

Reading Avery's letter brought me to tears and I'm not one to cry. I literally felt her pain when she described what her dad would do to her and I could tell she felt alone during it all. If only I had known...I don't know, maybe I could've done something to help her get away from all of that. But now she's gone and, although I didn't know her all that well, she was still a good friend.

I glanced down at Luke's letter in my lap and I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it or not. I know I make fun of him a lot and maybe cuss him out from time to time, though that's mainly if he wakes me up before ten, he's my best friend and I love him like a brother. He's there for me when I need him but now he's gone.

I opened it anyway and began to read. He started out telling me how great of a friend I was to him, a typical Luke thing to do, and then he wrote about why he left and I understand why he would. If I had a girlfriend I was madly in love with, I just might leave town with her too. I honestly can't judge their decision but I do think they went about it all wrong. It's Avery's father who should be leaving, not them.

Who knows where they are now and what could be happening to them?

I rubbed my face before checking my surroundings and backing out of the driveway. I've got to find them before it's too late.

*Ashton's POV*

After coming back from my morning jog, I checked the mail and threw it on the counter, not bothering to look at it before heading upstairs to take a shower and change clothes so I could fix my younger siblings some breakfast.

For once I had the day off but my mum had to work so it was my job to look after them for the day.

"Hey, Lauren! Harry!" I yelled as I opened the refrigerator door to see what was inside for me to make.

I heard them jog down the stairs and I turned to them.

"How do omelets for breakfast sound?" I asked, taking out the carton of eggs.

"Sure." Lauren said.

"Fine with me." Harry shrugs.

I nod and they leave the kitchen as I get to work, sautéing the vegetables Lauren likes and frying the bacon Harry and I like when my phone rings.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Oh my God, Ash, I'm glad you picked up." Cal rushed. "We have a problem."

"What problem?" I asked, taking the bacon out of the pan to drain the grease off.

"Avery and Luke ran away."

"They what?" I stopped what I was doing and leaned against the counter.

"I got these letters this morning, one from each of them, and it explains everything. Mike got them and I'm sure you did too." I went over to the pile of mail I mindlessly tossed down  to confirm his words. "They're gone, man."

I flipped through them until I found what he was talking about, two letters addressed to me. I could already feel the heavy tug on my heart as I ripped open the first one and read its contents.

I ended up opening Luke's first. It started out nice with him talking about how much he appreciated me as a friend and loved me as a brother. Then he brought up that falling out we had over Avery and he apologized for it again, saying he it was so stupid and a lot of the things he said to me during that time was mean and he didn't mean it. Lastly, he apologized for leaving but said it was something he had to do 'cause he couldn't let her leave without him.

Tears rolled down my face and a few landed on the paper. I quickly wiped them away so Lauren or Harry wouldn't notice and picked up the second one to read.

Avery's letter is what really shattered my heart. Reading about all the years of abuse and heartache she went through was a lot for me emotionally. How could I have not seen her pain? Even before we were a thing, we were friends and I should've been able to notice something in her. If I, or any of us, had saw something, we could've helped her and they wouldn't have left. What kind of friends are we?

"Ash, you there?" Cal asked. I was so wrapped up in the letters that I forgot I was still on the phone with him.

"Uh, yeah," I cleared my throat, "I'm here."

"What do we do? I've texted and called but got no answer. Mike went out to look for them and I can only imagine how Luke's family is taking this. And let's not forget about Avery's friend, Dylan. Other than us, he's all she has."

I bit my lip and clenched my fist at the thought of Avery having no one but her poor excuse of a father. I guess I can see why she left, she doesn't have any other family. But shouldn't we have been enough?

I know our relationship may not have been the best at some points but she still holds a special place in my heart and her running off like this really hurts.

"I'll, uh, I'll talk to you later." I hung up before he could say goodbye and tossed my phone on the counter and buried my face in my hands.

I was trying my best not to cry 'cause I didn't want Lauren or Harry to see me like this. I'm supposed to be their example and if they see me have a breakdown then I'll look weak and vulnerable. But I couldn't help the tears that streamed down my face. I would've much rather had gone up to my room but I couldn't even move. I was becoming a blubbering mess and I had to straighten up soon and get their food made before they came wandering in.

I went over to the sink and splashed a bit of water on my face and dried it with a nearby hand towel.

I finished making their food and set it on the table, calling their names so they'd come get it. Since I lost my appetite, I went upstairs and shut myself in my room so I could really let it all out.

I tugged at my hair as I paced my room. What I really wanted to do was go out and help look for them but I'm supposed to be watching Lauren and Harry and I don't want to bring them along. Who knows how they'll react if they learn Luke ran off.

I stopped my pacing and took a deep breath to calm myself down. Crying and freaking out isn't gonna bring them home. What I need to do is just try to help Mike the best I can by giving him possible places they may have gone. I've got to find some way to stay positive 'cause that's the only thing that'll help everyone.

I know that they're fine wherever they are and they'll somehow make it back, whether it's on their own or someone talks some sense into them.

*Stefan's POV*

I came home the next day with a killer headache and blurry vision from last night. I stumbled out of the car and inside, hitting the button to put the garage door down.

I sat in one of the stools along the island and laid my head down. I won't be able to function until I get rid of this earsplitting headache.

"Avery!" I yelled, instantly regretting it and rubbing my temple.

I waited a few seconds but never heard a response or her feet running down the stairs.

"Avery!" I repeated, not caring about my head. She knows I don't like to be kept waiting.

There was still no response. Where the fuck is she?

I slid out of the stool and made my way to the staircase and up the stairs.

I swear if I find her up here with that lanky ass boy, I'll beat her ass and then his he doesn't run out the room like a pussy.

I burst into her room and was surprised to see it empty. She knows she's not supposed to go out without my permission. She's really asking for hell.

I fish my phone out of my pocket and call her, holding it up to my ear and wait for her to pick up. She's gonna have a hell of a lot of explaining to do.

But she didn't pick up. I tried her two more times before giving up. You know what? She's doing this on purpose. She knows she'll be in deep shit when she gets here so she's ignoring my calls, hoping I'll forget and move on but that's far from what's gonna happen. I'm gonna inflict so much pain on her, she'll wish she was with her worthless mother.

I went to my bathroom to shower and change clothes. After that, I went and checked her room again, in case she slipped inside while I was showering, but she still wasn't in there. I went downstairs and it was also still empty. She should know that the longer she wants to play this game, the worse it'll be for her.

I went to the kitchen to grab a quick snack to eat so I could take some medicine for my head and then I went to lay down. I turned on the television to find something to watch and settled on some old western movie. I got myself real comfortable and after a while, my eyes fluttered shut.

-

The sound of loud banging disturbed me from my nap. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, stretching as I stood and dragged my feet to the door. The banging continued.

"I'm fucking coming!" I yelled. This dumb bitch should have her key so I don't know why the hell she's acting this way.

I opened the door, not to reveal my sorry excuse for a daughter, but the authorities.

"Um, can I help you?" I asked.

"Are you Mr. Greene?" I looked at his badge and it read Officer Morgan.

"Yeah." I nodded, still confused.

"Sir," his partner, Officer Dixon, approached me and grabbed my arms, turning me around, "you're under arrest for child abuse."

"What? This is insane!" I yelled while my wrists were being put into handcuffs.

"Is it really? Because we have substantial evidence that proves otherwise." Officer Dixon said.

"And what substantial evidence would you have?" I scoffed.

"A written confession from Avery herself." A different voice said.

The officer turned me around and I saw Avery's faggot friend glaring at me with his arms crossed.

"You've got to be kidding me." I shook my head.

"You fucked up my friend's life and now you're going away for a long time. Burn in Hell, Stefan."

Before I could respond, Officer Dixon pushed me out of my house and led me to the back of their car. The door was shut and they got inside, turning the car on and pulling out of my driveway. I rested my head against the window as I watched my house disappear from view.

****************

It would be a week before Avery and Luke would be found. Their bodies were still intact, though their skin was blistered, greenish-black, and beginning to look waxy.

You can imagine what it was like for them to receive the call. At first there was that grateful sigh that they had finally been found, but that little light was soon covered by a grey cloud when they were informed that the bodies were discovered in a river and they needed to be identified.

When Liz approached Luke's body, she almost collapsed in Andy's arms. She couldn't even hold the pain inside. She screamed and cried right in front of the coroner and Andy held her tight, only letting tears stream down his face as he nodded to confirm that that was in fact his son.

Dylan and his mum came to identify Avery 'cause she didn't have anyone else; her mum is dead and her dad's in jail. The coroner uncovered her face and Lynn immediately turned away, not being able to take the sight. Dylan, on the other hand, didn't shudder or step away, he reached for her cold, lifeless hand and held it as best he could with it being stiff and all.

The coroner, Dr. Benson, cleared his throat. "Now of course we can rid of the waxy exterior and discoloration if you want us to."

"Yes, please." Dylan manages to say.

He wasn't crying, but he felt immense pain. He was so hurt and heartbroken that he couldn't react or show it in any way. He wanted to scream and cry and throw a fit but all he could do was stare at her lifeless face and wonder why this had to happen to her.

Lynn places her hand on his shoulder to let him know they should leave. He reluctantly obliges, taking his hand out of hers and stepping away as Dr. Benson covered her body once more and slid it back into its cold locker.

-

The funeral took place three days later. Lynn and Liz agreed to have them together because that's what Luke and Avery would've wanted.

Everyone was there except for Stefan, for obvious reasons. As they came in to review the bodies before taking their seats, they reached in and placed their hand on theirs or leaned down to kiss their foreheads knowing this would be the last time they ever saw them.

But this isn't how life is supposed to be going right now. If this was a perfect world, no one would be dead earlier than intended. Avery would still be here with her mum, her dad wouldn't be abusing them and she'd have that happy family she always wanted. Luke wouldn't have had a reason to run off and he'd still be here with his friends, family, and girlfriend, spending his time goofing off, posting videos on YouTube, and still working towards his dream of making it one day. But this isn't a perfect world and the odds aren't always in their favor. No matter how much they wished for that life, the reality is their friends and family are burying them and no force in the universe can change that.

When it was time for the eulogies, Dylan went first. He slowly walked up to the podium and looked out at the crowd and then down at Avery before clearing his throat and beginning.

"Avery is the best friend anyone could ever ask for." He began. "She's everything I needed in my life and more. I confided all of my secrets in her and she accepts me for who I am. We did everything together, we were even each other's first kiss." He chuckled and there were low chuckles among the crowd. "If you notice, I'm speaking in the present tense because there's no reason for me to talk about her like she's gone for good. For those of us that knew her, she touched us in some way and that feeling she left behind will never go away. So yes, physically she's not here but she'll forever be with us in spirit." He was getting choked up and had to take a few breaths before continuing. "Avery," he looked down at her, "I love you, I always have, and I always will. Thank you for being so amazing and for being my b-best f-friend." He couldn't stop the tears from flowing as he choked out the last part. He took a deep breath before finishing. "You hold a special place in my heart and you always will. I love you and I don't want to treat this as a goodbye because I know I'll see you again one day so instead, I'll say see you later."

There were sniffles coming from the crowd as he made his way back to his seat. For Luke's eulogy, Ash, Mike, and Cal would be speaking. Liz wanted to do it but she knew she wouldn't be able to hold herself together long enough to get through it.

They spoke one at a time and talked about how Luke affected each of them. He was encouraging, brotherly, loving, fun- everything for these guys. The crowd was just as moved with their eulogies as they were with Dylan's.

"And no matter how much he annoyed me and I made fun of him," Michael chuckled, letting a few tears roll down his cheek, "I'll still love him. He's the brother I never had and he'll always be with me."

They left back to their seats and that was that. Everyone moved to the burial sight to watch the coffins be lowered into the ground, beside each other respectively.

This has been the story of Luke and Avery. If it hadn't been for Luke's selfish desire to be with Brooke and Avery's infatuation with Ashton, the pair would've never discovered that the love they were looking for was in each other.

Find a love that consumes you, that's passionate, adventurous, and even has a little danger. Find someone that'll go to the ends of the Earth for you and is the moon that lights up your darkest hour like Luke did for Avery. Find someone that brings out the best in you and is the only person that can cause that special gut feeling inside you like Avery did to Luke.

Although they're gone, their love is the kind of love that lives on.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.9K 534 27
A little bit of rehab since we're all insane. Michael Clifford fanfiction. (First fanfiction.. Might be rough)
407K 9.2K 53
I never thought an anxiety attack could be the best thing to happen to me. Rankings: #1 AshtonIrwin #2 Ashton #1 5SOS #1 5secondsofsummer #2 CalumHoo...
164K 4.5K 34
After a bad breakup, Alyssa swears off relationships. Until she meets Michael Clifford, that is. {Started - August 2014} {Completed - March 2015} Cre...
371K 10.5K 35
In which a popular boy who cares too much about his reputation meets a girl who hates attention.