Chronicle of Nautilus

By m4nkind

Nautilus was the last and the largest spaceship to leave dying Solar system. When mysterious terrorist starts... More

Introduction
Chapter 1: A Looming Threat
Chapter 2: The Search
Chapter 3: The First Encounter
Chapter 4: Home of The Evolution
Chapter 5: A Weapon of Choice
Chapter 6: The Voice
Chapter 7: A New Friend
Chapter 8: A Moment of Truth
Chapter 9: No One to Trust
Chapter 10: The Face of The Enemy
Chapter 11: The Power of The Mind
Chapter 12: Deceived By A Friend
Chapter 14: A Man and A Boy
Chapter 15: The Chase
Chapter 16: An Unfortunate End
Chapter 17: The Kidnaping
Chapter 18: The Boring Duty
Chapter 19: The Diversion
Chapter 20: The Break-in
Chapter 21: Inside The Navigation Room
Chapter 22: The Retirement
Chapter 23: The Letter
Chapter 24: The Shut Down
Chapter 25: The Survivor
Chapter 26: The Preparation, Part 1
Chapter 27: A Short Break
Chapter 28: The Lost Woman
Chapter 29: The Next Step
Chapter 30: The Preparation, Part 2
Chapter 31: A New Recruit
Chapter 32: The Preparation, Part 3
Chapter 33: The Preparation, Part 4
Chapter 34: A Monster in The Dungeon
Chapter 35: A Step Towards The Unknown
Chapter 36: A Visit to The Other Side
Chapter 37: A Visit To The Hospital
Chapter 38: The Defensive Setup
Chapter 39: The Prisoner
Chapter 40: An Encounter Outside
Bonus Chapter: The Collective
Chapter 41: The Beginning
Chapter 42: The Heroes
Chapter 43: The Villains
Chapter 44: The Clash, Part 1
Chapter 45: The Clash, Part 2
Chapter 46: The Clash, Part 3
Chapter 47: The Last Stand
Chapter 48: The End

Chapter 13: The Third Party

1.1K 77 0
By m4nkind

 Tom stood in the middle of his room surrounded by five holographic projections. Each window showed information on a different person.  Tom looked puzzled. He took a few steps back and sat down. The windows followed him, each moving in random pattern and rearranged in front of his eyes.

Three people were found dead on the streets yesterday and two more this morning.   All victims were killed with a powerful laser weapon. All of them had a record of brain damage – either from accidents or reconditioning procedures. A single victim was struck by a powerful blow and had his chest shattered to pieces before getting shot.

The attacker was always quick to leave the scene. Witnesses said that the attacker used a cab to escape.

Tom had reanimated three bodies and asked for information on the killer. All of them said that they couldn‘t see the face of the attacker due to the hooded cape he was wearing.

A few cameras had recorded one of the incidents.  The attacker was blurred the same way as Ermac during his visit. He moved fast, killed the victim and disappeared in a few seconds. His speed and strength was superior to that of a common man.

The killer was making sure that no vessels were left for The Outsider to possess. Apart from Tom there was only one more faithful protector of the ship - the Navigator’s security program Stacy.

The strength to shatter bones, the cloaking device to protect his identity from cameras, the large laser weapon, which probably was taken from one of the ship’s defense vaults only Landau, Ermac and Stacy knew of. All facts pointed that it was the work of the damn artificial intelligence. She must have found a way to the city networks and got herself a living toy.

That stupid program… Tom cursed Stacy in his head. Now he had to worry not only about The Outsider but about Stacy’s toy on the rampage too.

After a minute of thinking, Tom had figured who must have had his fingers all of in this. He shut down all the holographic windows and ran out of the office.

******

“I’m here to meet Cyrus Everton,” Tom told to the administrator at the bio-labs.

 “He is waiting for you, please proceed to the elevator.”

Tom strode towards the elevator. He was slightly annoyed that Cyrus had lied to him. After Tom connected all dots it was clear that Cyrus worked for Stacy.  She was the reason why the scientist had betrayed him. 

Tom felt anxious to have a conversation with Cyrus and see what he had to say. He stepped into the elevator and pushed the button. As elevator moved up he noticed that all hallways were silent and empty. Uneasiness filled Tom. Was he walking into a trap?

He got out of the elevator and ran to Cyrus’s office, his steps echoed in the dead silence.  When Tom was close to Cyrus’s office its door opened. The scientist was sitting behind his desk, smiling.

“Hi Tom, I was expecting you,” Cyrus said, smiling, “Give your feet some rest.”

Tom sat down and laid back. He replied, “Hi, the building looks a little empty today. Any idea why?” Tom used an arm to hold his chin.

“I asked everyone to leave and have a day off.”

 “Are you expecting some disaster?”

“Yes I am. You will survive it, but I— Cyrus paused.  “—probably won’t.”

“Tell me, why did you lie? Did Stacy make you do everything?”

“No, I did it all on my own will.” Cyrus looked deeply into Tom’s eyes.  “She brought a man to my door and I accepted him. I gave him everything she asked.”

“So nice of you…" Tom said ironically. "Why did you think that I was going to visit you today?”

 “I read the news.  My creation finally started doing the work.  I watched the records of him in action, a bit blurred, but recognizable.  You are the most intelligent man I know. Naturally you would connect him to me. “

“People are dying on the streets and it’s your fault.”  Tom did not attempt to hide his disgust.

“I really don’t care. I was just following orders.”

“Why does a clever man like you start taking orders from an artificial intelligence?”

“Since I was a child I worked for the better of mankind. I did everything in my power to help people and I am not going to stop.” Cyrus’s tone got lauder.  “I just want us to get to our new home. If someone wants to prevent it from happening I will stop it at all costs.”

“I am disappointed in you.”

Cyrus stared down without saying a word.

Tom continued: “Stacy broke the protocol when she entered the networks. All her actions outside of Ermac’s base perimeter are considered illegal. You helped for the AI to get a physical weapon. Do you understand that situation may get out of control very quickly? Have you not learned in school what happens when AI goes on the rampage?”

“I did learn, Tom.” Cyrus looked amused. “You will understand everything when you meet my creation.”

Tom shook his head in disbelief. “Why are you waiting for your own death? You know I could save you. Why didn’t you come to me?”

“I am not sure if I want to be saved. I lied to a lot of people including my wife.  I am terrible liar and she probably knows the truth.  Besides, Stacy knows better, if I she wants me dead, so be it.”

“You are a lost man Cyrus. Go home and take a break,” Tom said sincerely, “Why do you think she would kill you? You are one of her greatest assets.”

“The weapon, as you called it, is active. I know that Stacy wants to tie all the loose ends. She’s good at hiding and working in shadows.”

“Did she at least tell you why she needed a weapon and who was the threat?”

“No. I never asked. Why should I? She only told me that she considered you incompetent in solving ‘complex’ problems.”

Tom turned his head away. “Damn you Cyrus, for being so naïve.”

“Tom, I’m expendable, and frankly, I have accepted it long time ago.”

“You are wrong. They are going to kill you not because you helped her, but because you can reconstruct reconditioning devices the fastest. She does not think like us, humans. She owes nothing to you. Now you are just another inconvenience in her path who knows too much in the science field she is willing to destroy. It was she who initiated the explosion at the reconditioning facility.

“Do you think her way is the best? Stacy will destroy half of the ship before she gets The Outsider. Wake up!”

“Who is the Outsider?”

“Please, Cyrus, shut your mouth. You didn't care before and you shouldn't start caring now. Let us leave. I know a safe place for you.” 

“I do not feel like it, but—“

Cyrus was interrupted by an explosion. All windows shattered, the outer wall crumbled and cold dusty wind breezed into the room. Tom lifted a hand to cover his eyes from the dust.  The buzzing sound of cabs’ engines got closer.

Tom quickly moved towards Cyrus and slapped him in the chin. Cyrus fell to the ground unconscious.  Tom pushed the desk in such an angle that it would hide the scientist and walked to the middle of the room.

Slowly, a figure of a man in grey hooded cape emerged from below. The man stood on the roof of the cab, his right arm resting on a huge weapon hanging on a sling, eyes shining in deep green. The cab adjusted its position so the unexpected visitor could easily step into the room whenever he felt to.  

“I did not come here for you.” The man’s voice was cold and harsh. He removed the hood covering the face.

The identity of the visitor shocked Tom. It was Ermac. But it was not the old man he knew. This person in front of him was in his early twenties, a perfect younger copy of Tom’s friend.  He man was bold and had a long chin, which paired well with his pointy nose. Malicious aura surrounded him. 

So, this was the substitute Stacy was preparing. Tom was ready for action.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 37 3
death no one knows what comes after it, but waking up to finding himself alive yet in a different reality and especially when he has powers that he n...
33.3K 682 10
[NOT COMPLETED] You've been in the Intergalactic Prison for years now. Your father, known only as The Warden, was the one to put you there. However...
43 0 37
After fighting the greatest war in human history and defeating their ancient nemesis. Humans have proven their right to exist in a volatile universe...
6.6K 417 43
When the first ever space cruise ship completes its inaugural tour of the solar system, Bellatrix 'Bella' Starr will catch a ride back home that she'...