Secret Route's keyword: Valky...

By FairoNeko

After experiencing the life as a girl who is blessed by God of Death... To then realise that's not all there... More

Living Death
Knowing Death
Caring Death
Feeling Death
Walking Death
Shining Death
Exposing Death
Observing Death
Delaying Death
Apprehending Death
Viewing Death
Uniting Death

Meeting Death

3K 171 173
By FairoNeko

11.

The journey to my parents' house, seeing that my family is a Duke household that manages a vast territory, is a long one. Inside the carriage prepared by my parents, with nothing to do, Grace the Witch and Grandma Solid start to talk about themselves.

They say it's to prepare me for something. I don't know what though.

Grace the Witch, is a High Magician, known as Master of Magic. This is it. The prove that Grace has lived for a long time. She is practically a legend! Because she usually uses magic to mask her appearance, nobody knows for sure how she looks like. While accompanying me, Grace says that she will use her real appearance and since nobody knows it's her real one, all is well. The identifying mark for Grace is, the mark from God of Time, a small clock forever points at 12 o'clock inside her right thumb's nail.

Inconspicuous place. I envy.

As for Grandma Solid, her full name is Maria de la Solidad. Because the name is too long and too girly to be taken seriously on the battlefield, Grandma Solid shortened her name stubbornly, despite the protests from her family. Grace and I applaud Grandma Solid for her success in doing what she wanted: enlisting into the army and fighting in the war and achieving a high position... As the only female Commander in history.

Now, retired, Grandma Solid boasts that she is still popular. I don't know about that, because nobody had treated her as anything but a grandmother. It might be because Grandma Solid hid her identity... So, until I see it myself, I will just have to... suspend my expectation.

After exhausting the topic about themselves, they start to talk about the past. It's interesting, listening to it. There were a lot of fights involved, mystifying me. Why is the past so grim? Why was there a war? Without the God of Death doing anything, the numbers of death keep on raising. Ah, geez... In that case, there's no need for people to fear us who are blessed by God of Death, isn't it? As long as those who are blessed aren't out to kill people randomly.

Blaming someone else for their grief... How...human.

With me learning about my caretakers more deeply and the world in general, I arrive at Duke Cogent's family manor.

It's bigger than God of Death's Church. Not big enough compared to Atom Country's citadel. Slightly bigger than Plum and Laurel's houses though. There're people lining within the gate and a lot of people watching outside the gate.

"Ah," Grandma Solid's face lightens up, "I see my children and grandchildren!"

Grandma Solid is looking at the crowd outside the manor, a big crowd of big and important people standing and watching while trying to blend in unsuccessfully.

"Espionage, epic fail," Grace the Witch comments with a snort

"They aren't here for something like that," Grandma Solid chides distractedly, looking back and forth between the manor and the crowd

I help her choose, "Why don't you go to your family instead, Grandma Solid? You haven't seen them for a long time. Later, you can come and find me inside the manor," putting a hand on Grace, with a big smile, I assure Grandma Solid, "I have Grace with me, so you don't need to worry!"

"Yeah, I will take care of her," Grace the Witch agrees, "I am capable of that, so you don't have to worry too much. I don't think anything bad will happen to her inside the house..."

After a brief silence, Grandma Solid nods, "I will join you shortly, Lie. I promise,"

"I understand," I answer with a smile, smiling brightly in happiness to know that there is someone who truly cares for me

After reaching such agreement, we step down from the carriage. Grandma Solid goes first, to her family. Then, I step down with Grace behind me, to the manor.

It is faint, but I can hear the talk about my /Black Heart/. Hm, it's starting.

Walking inside, through the gate, where the maids and butlers are lining up to greet me... In front of me, in front of the door, there is a family of three standing, waiting for me.

I stop walking in front of them, in a distance, as I take a proper look at them. I look like my Father, with my Mother's eyes. The boy who seems to be my age, he must be my adopted Brother. To be the Brother of a girl with /Black Heart/, I wonder what is his opinion regarding it.

"Lie," Father speak up, his voice wavering

I nod, "Father,"

"Lie..." Mother takes a step forward unsteadily, already tearing up

I smile faintly, still not moving, "Mother,"

After a nudge from behind by Grace, I add, "I have wanted to see you, always..."

Mother rushes forward then, crying as she hugs me. Father too, engulf us in his embrace. I hug back, trying to commit this feeling in my memory. To be able to hold my parents... It's a blessing. I wonder, which God should I offer my gratitude? Definitely not God of Death.

After the hug, Father invites us inside, with a special invitation for Grace the Witch, "We are honoured to have your visit, Milady. Come, let us talk more inside,"

Showing an understanding smile, Grace agrees to follow Father.

My adopted Brother, there's still no introduction. Well, they will probably do it later. So, sticking close to Grace, I walk into the building.

"Nervous?" whispering with amusement, Grace teases me

"On guard," I reply, narrowing my eyes slightly as I watch the people around us, "I don't want Evil Uncle to meddle,"

"Ah," Grace nods slightly, "You did mention that. Tough, I have to wonder, how come you're already aware of your surrounding only hours or days after birth,"

The option of ignoring this question is the safest. Since I can't lie to save my life, as long as I don't say anything, they will always be kept in the dark. It's a question and a trap that Grace has taken a liking to, to make me talk.

We are escorted to the living room, to sit on the chairs prepared. After the teas and pastries are served, Father sends the maids and butlers away and start to talk.

"Lie, firstly, I must apologise to you," closing his eyes, bowing his head, Father tells me

"Lie... I am so, so sorry," Mother too, closes her eyes and bows her head

"Apology accepted," I say lightly, with a slight understanding smile on my face, "I understand, Father, Mother. It is not your fault," It's Uncle's, I don't say. I still have no idea where he is, so to be on the safe side, I won't reveal what I know about his Evilness, "The circumstance happened to be like that. It couldn't be helped,"

Looking at them after they lift their heads, I add, "I am happy, that even with this /Black Heart/ you still love me,"

"Of course!" Father raises his voice involuntary, shocked by my words

"We will always love you, Lie, our child," Mother sounds slightly desperate, as she tries to make me believe her words

I believe them, really. So, please just stop with this awkwardness, "I understand. I do. I am just saying it because... I also love you too,"

I can't lie. It is the truth. Even though I don't know them. Even though they are not the one who raised me. For them to still care for me, worried for me, wanting me... I am happy.

After calming down, Father finally introduces the silent boy beside him, "Lie, this is your Brother, Verity Cogent,"

Verity... It's a nice name. Nicer than mine, by lots.

"Verity is blessed by Goddess of Desserts," Mother adds, with a fond smile, "Everything here, are made by Verity,"

Oh, wow! As I turn appreciative gaze to my adopted Brother, he blushes pleasantly in happiness.

"Jackpot," I hear Grace whispers to herself, eyeing Verity in different light now

I kick her leg, under the table. I'm warning you, no seducing my under-age Brother... He has not had his coming-of-age birthday, has he? Well, it doesn't matter. As long as Verity doesn't want it, I won't let Grace takes advantage of him and his skill in making desserts!

What's that? Is your family my family? Sharing is caring? Haaah... Grace will just take the confectioneries or pastries for free though. At least, if you pay for it, then I might be more lenient. Cheap-sake? You are cheap-sake! To us, your family, you also ask for payment, don't you? Half-price, remember?

"...Sister," shyly, Verity calls out to me, who is in a staring match with Grace. Ignoring Grace, who is sulking, I turn to Verity in surprise. What did he call me?

Clearing his throat, as he repeats, "Sister, why don't you try to have a taste... See if it is to your liking...?" Verity lowers his gaze bashfully after he finishes talking

So cute~! Verity is cute! He is not that young, but he is still cute! He is not that old, so he is still cute!

From the corner of my eyes, I see that Grace also has the same smile on her face. Right? Verity is cute, isn't he~?

"Then, I will taste it now," trying and failing to contain my grin, as my parents have an amused smile on their faces too, I take a chocolate flavoured mini-cake to eat

Hm~m. It's good~

I ask for Verity's permission to let Grace, who is getting more and more impatient, to taste it too. Of course, the permission is easily given.

While tasting these delicious pastries, Mother asks, "I thought you have another guest with you, Lie?"

"Un," I nod, finishing the food in my mouth first before talking, "Grandma Solid is currently reuniting with her family. She will come by later,"

"Ah..." Father lets out a happy sigh, "I am really glad, for you to have these great people with you, Lie,"

I just smile, nodding and not saying anything. It seems like my Father, at least, idolises Grace the Witch and Grandma Solid, the former Knight Commander.

After finishing the pastries, with most of it going to Grace's stomach, we are escorted to the rooms we will be staying. They aren't saying anything, about the period of time we will be staying here. But, just like what Grace the Witch and Grandma Solid thought, I have to think this is not permanent too.

The pastries aren't laced with poison, so for now, I have to think... Verity is still okay.

Haaah... For Grace to make me drink an Antidote Potion for poison beforehand... What did she expect our visit will become? As for me, I expect, when I see my Uncle... I will finally be able to fulfil my promise of a lifetime!

12.

It is a week later, after I started the lessons of etiquette and manner like what Grace and Grandma Solid predicted the reason of my temporary return to Duke Cogent's household, that my Uncle appears with his son.

At that time, I might have consciously or unconsciously... Well, it doesn't matter how I do it. I just do it. In the middle of studying, I am called to the living room, where a pair of Father and Son are sitting, enjoying Verity's pastries.

Just from stepping into the living room, I already know. So, to Grace and everyone's surprise, I am suddenly flying, with a fist pulled back then slammed into the face that suddenly turns to me in alarm.

Aah~ So much fun!

"Father!!" the Son cries out in alarm, crouching to his Father's side as the Father writhes on the ground while holding his nose

I step back and skip back to Grace's side, smiling contently. Verity has his jaw dropped in surprise. Father and Mother too. Grace takes a glance at my Uncle and concludes correctly of who he is, without needing an introduction.

"What do you think you're doing?!" the Son shouts at me, angered

I turn my gaze coolly to him, "Fulfilling my lifetime wish,"

My answer catches him off-guard, I can see it. Then, his anger returns full-force, "Who do you think you are, to do something like this?!"

"I am Lie Cogent, a child blessed by God of Death himself," I answer boldly, turning my head up a little to look down on him, "Do you have a problem with what I did?"

"Yes!" standing up, the Son points at me, "Just because you are blessed by God of Death, it doesn't excuse you for hitting my Father!"

Before I can retort, suddenly, I am showered with glitters of /Black Heart/. I freeze in shock at this unexpected glitters. They disappear soon enough though.

...When in confusion, turn to the knowledgeable Grace the Witch for help. No good, Grace is shocked too.

Everyone in this room is shocked, even my Uncle.

"Grace, what happened?" I question aloud, voicing my confusion clearly

Clearing her throat, Grace answers weakly, "It seems like... God of Death himself approves of your action,"

Eh?

"What? Did he drop by or something?" I am alert. If he really is around, I am going to send him a flying punch too.

"...No," Grace shakes her head, "He just sends his approval... He is still not here,"

Oh... Well, anyway. I don't know why he is suddenly actively involved in my life, but since it's only briefly, it probably doesn't mean anything. Dismissing God of Death's help without even an ounce of gratitude, I answer the Son of his earlier accusation, "I don't need an excuse to hit your Father,"

Snapping back from his daze by my words, the Son grits his teeth, "Using your God to back you up..."

"I am not using anyone or any God to back me up," I say it clearly, frowning in displeasure at his accusation, "I am not blessed by God of Death by my own will. I did not ask for a blessing from God of Death. In fact, if God of Death is here right now, I am going to punch him too,"

There, I say it. I don't lie, so I am saying what I really think from the bottom of my heart. Ah, Grace the Witch looks scandalised. I remind her then, of what I keep telling her, "Although I am grateful, I didn't choose to be sent away and raised in God of Death's Church. I never ask to be separated from my parents, my family, Grace,"

Even though Grace understands, it is still hard for her to accept it. I know that. Everyone who lived in God of Death's Church was there for their own reasons, willingly. I was sent there as a baby, to be taken care of by a group of people who had no idea how to raise a child.

Hearing what I said, my Father's gaze hardened. Mother, after listening to my words, comes and engulfs me in a hug again, apologising once more to me.

"Brother-in-law, you understand, don't you?" Father calls for Mother's Brother, firmly and without mercy, "The reason why you are invited to my home,"

The Son and Verity are confused, but they don't have the courage to go against Father. They refrain from voicing aloud their confusion. Uncle stands up then, unsteadily while gulping, "...Yes," he says feebly, not taking a step forward but bow on spot, to me, "My Niece, I am here to apologise... I am sorry for what I did in the past, for sending you away and separated you from your parents..."

I stay silent, staring at him while in Mother's embrace. Grace asks in my stead, "Why did you do that?"

"...I was just worried about my Sister," Uncle answers, sorrowfully, "You have to understand... We were just afraid..."

I can see that, how the Son flinches back. He is staring at his Father in surprise and disbelief. Why is that?

Grace stays silent after hearing Uncle's answer. Neither she nor I believe in Uncle's words, of course.

But, Mother believes it. Mother asks me to forgive Uncle. I stay silent though, unable to lie, after all.

"Lie just needs time," Father comes to rescue! Saying those words to console Mother, Father puts his hands on each of us

I look away from Uncle and his Son, to see what Verity is doing. He is looking at us, a fond smile on his lips. Catching my gaze, I smile and nod my head, inviting him to join us. With a blush and hesitant movement, Verity shuffles closer uncertainly. I catch him, with my parents' permission, so we will have a family group hug. Finally.

Aaaah... If only this moment will last...

13.

"Gods can approve the actions we take?" I ask Grace, after a tiring day, inside her guest room

"And disapprove," Grace the Witch adds, "If we do something using their names, sometimes, they give answers,"

"Hmm... Seems like God of Death is free enough to send his approval," I grumble, still iffy with the God who blessed me

Grace smiles drily, "You should be glad, that the God of Death is lenient with you, despite how disrespectful you are to him,"

...Yeah, there's that. But, it's an undeniable fact that my predicament is caused by him in the first place!

Grace shakes her head tiredly, "Go to sleep, Lie. Tell Grandma Solid about this later and see how she will tan your hide,"

Eeep...

That's not fair...

Grandma Solid is on God of Death's side!

...It can't be helped then. After a fitful sleep, the next day after Uncle and his Son's visit, I welcome Grandma Solid who appears with her Grandson.

The timing makes me feel like it is as if Grace summoned her. Though, Grandma Solid is still unaware of what transpired yesterday. Grandma Solid has the intention of introducing her Grandson to me, so I also bring Verity with me for an introduction. From what I heard, Grandma Solid's Grandson will also attend Crown Prince's coming-of-age birthday party later.

I have no idea what Grandma Solid's Grandson think of me, who has the /Black Heart/, so I am slightly cautious when approaching. Speaking of that, I managed to corner Verity and asked about his opinion of me. Frankly speaking, since I told him to say what he thought without reservation, his first impression of me was of gratitude. Because, he was glad I still love my parents, who love me very much.

I thought Verity would be jealous of me instead, and he admitted he was slightly jealous, but he was also apologetic, because he had been hogging their love before my return last week. I assured him it's fine, that I was glad my parents had a child they could dote on, even if it's not me.

Verity also admitted to being slightly scared of me, but he was mostly curious. Even after what I did to Uncle yesterday, and what God of Death unnecessary did yesterday. Because I still welcome him as part of our family, Verity is not scared of me anymore.

Verity is such a sweet child! So cute~! We are of the same age though. I found out we would be celebrating the coming-of-age birthday on the same day. Really, despite having a different set of birth parents, Verity really can become my Twin.

On that note, the matter that led to his adoption was not discussed.

Anyway, now, I feel a sense of familiarity with Verity, who I treat as my real Brother. Unlike Verity who called me Sister, I still call him by his name. I am also going to convert him into calling me by my name, because we are same-age siblings, duh!

Though... I am not a fan of my name...

"Lie, this is Will," Grandma Solid introduces her Grandson first, snapping me back to attention, before inquiring about Verity, "Is he your brother?"

With a smile, I nod, introducing Verity, "Grandma Solid, this is Verity,"

Verity smiles and bows politely, "Nice to meet you, I am Verity,"

"You may call me Grandma Solid, child," with her smile widening, Grandma Solid comments, "Aren't you a sweet one?"

Verity blushes, as I brag slightly, "Verity can make delicious pastries for you to enjoy, Grandma Solid. Want to try some?"

"Of course I do," Grandma Solid nods, laughing slightly by my obvious question

Verity excuses himself then, to get today's pastries from the kitchen. After he is gone, I completely lose my smile.

"Lie? Did something happen?" slightly concerned, Grandma Solid inquires, "Where is Grace?" belatedly, Grace the Witch's whereabouts is questioned

"Grace is probably in the kitchen, snacking on Verity's cakes," I reply with a sigh, troubled on how to explain yesterday's matter to Grandma Solid, with her Grandson listening in silently. Well, I can't lie anyway, "So, yesterday, my Father invited Uncle here to apologise to me. The moment I met him though, I punched him,"

Grandma Solid nods, understanding. Will, Grandma Solid's grandson, seems slightly interested in the story behind that action.

"So, after that, I got into an argument with my Cousin, Uncle's Son. At that time... There was a brief shower of /Black Heart/," seeing Grandma Solid drops her jaw, I continue hesitantly, "Umm... There was a question, an accusation made, and a confession from me... I said... If God of Death were there, I would punch him too,"

Grandma Solid is scandalised, just like Grace the Witch. I protest, before Grandma Solid says anything, "You know what I think about God of Death, Grandma Solid!"

"Even so, that does not mean you had to talk about that at all," Grandma Solid covers her face, exasperated, "You said that after God of Death helped you...?"

"I didn't ask for his help," I defend myself with a pout, crossing my arms stubbornly, "I don't know why he would even bother helping me that one time..."

"Lie..." Grandma Solid's tone turns dangerous

Verity, it's time for you to show up!

"I'm back," saying so, with Grace the Witch in tow, Verity returns while holding a large plate full of pastries, "Sorry for the wait,"

"It's not that long at all!" I assure Verity with over-cheerfulness, confusing him slightly

"You have a lot of time to teach this girl a lesson," Grace tells Grandma Solid, who realises Grace the Witch is right

"Then, let us enjoy these delicious pastries," saying so, Grandma Solid starts the feast

I can only dispiritedly enjoy my treat, knowing what is to come from now on...

14.

Fast forward to Crown Prince's coming-of-age birthday party. In which we have relocated to a house in the Capital beforehand.

In the light blue hue dress they prepared for me, plus a little preparation is done to my hair, I am ready to attend the party. They way I am dressed up is very simple. Because I am not interested to be picked by the Crown Prince to be Crown Princess, I refuse to be dressed extravagantly. My parents don't give me a hard time about it, since this will be my first time attending a grand party and they don't want me to be uncomfortable.

So, with my parents and Verity, I walk inside the Castle. Grandma Solid will attend the party with her Children and Grandchildren, who are invited. Aside from Will, Grandma Solid have other Grandchildren who are not-of-age yet. I wonder if Grandma Solid plans to introduce me to all her family members.

As I walk further inside, I can see it. How the people finally take notice of me. I ignore them, content with walking along Verity behind our parents to the ballroom where the party is held. I have long given up trying to find a way to stop the muttering about my /Black Heart/. Which is why, no matter what they say, I will pay them no mind.

But... It doesn't mean my family isn't affected. Mother, especially, is hurt by some loud mutters. I give them a glare, not caring enough to ruin their lives personally by using God of Death's blessing. Because, just a glance from me is enough to send them running. They are all cowards who only know how to speak of others badly without looking at a mirror. Truly, a lost cause.

But... Just by having me here is already troubling my family... Well, after the party started, I plan to just find a place to sit and wait until the party is over though. Or, I will just excuse myself to return first to Duke Cogent's house in the Capital.

Firstly, once we enter the ballroom, we greet the Royalties. Using the lessons drilled into me recently, I give my greeting silently, letting my parents do the talking and only move accordingly. After that, we are excused.

There's no mention of me or my /Black Heart/ at all. The King and Queen still act cordially towards me. I thank them, from the bottom of my heart. As for the Crown Prince, we just look at each other and greet each other with a standard greeting. Nothing worth noting.

After turning my back to the Royalties, once far enough, I let out a long sigh, "Haaah,"

"Nervous?" Verity questions, smiling nervously himself

"Just..." I give our surrounding a look, where people are trying to act like they are not looking at me, "I want to find somewhere to sit,"

"I will guide you there," Verity offers, excusing ourselves from our parents, as they go to greet their friends

It is rude of me, to not be there at the greeting. But, I think they are also worried and thinking of giving me space. I am thankful for their thoughtfulness. Somehow, being in a place packed with so many people... I can't just brush off the looks at all. I am becoming self-conscious. It's irritating.

Finding a good place to sit and rest, at an empty table for eating, Verity pulls out a chair for me to sit.

"Thank you," I tell Verity, grateful for his thoughtfulness, "Sorry for troubling you,"

"This is nothing," Verity assures me, "Rest up a little, Lie. I will go take something for you to eat,"

I smile at him and nod. Verity returns the smile and leaves me to get what he promised, food and drinks.

For me to feel this weak just by their looks alone... As expected. Different from how commoners look down on others, the weight of how these Nobles look down on others are heavier. Of course, it's heavy. These snobby Nobles have practised and perfected their superiority complex.

Turning my head away from them, I cross my arms on the table and rest my head on it. I have no plan to entertain them or become their entertainment. Just as I planned, throughout the party, I will stick to this seat and refuse to move.

Thinking about something else, let's think of what I should do after celebrating my coming-of-age birthday. My parents and Verity are very welcoming... Do I stay or do I return to God of Death's Church?

I hear someone pulling back a chair, so I look up to welcome Verity back. Though, he is not Verity. He is Evil Uncle's Son, my Cousin.

"May I sit here?" noticing my stare, he asks

I don't need to look around to know people are paying attention to us, "Why are you--" that is an obvious question, duh. Let's change it to, "Why do you pick this seat?"

"I want to show them how close we are, because we are Cousins," saying so with sarcasm, Cousin takes a seat anyway

Cousin's name is Sterling, as he had introduced himself to me on our disastrous first meeting. I don't want to use his name at all, if I can. But, the way he said the word Cousin using sarcasm... Yeah, I am not happy to be related to you either.

"Why aren't you with your Father?" I question, returning to rest my head from the world

"Father and I-" Sterling stops talking, and try again, "...We are currently not talking to each other,"

I don't bother looking up, "Aren't you still mad over what I did to your Father?"

"...No,"

That makes me look up at him, in surprise.

"Father and I are in disagreement over... It is something related to you and your action from before," Sterling voluntary tells me without prompting, "My Father really is at fault for what happened to you. For that, I apologise in his stead,"

Sterling bows his head, as best as he can while sitting like this. Unexpectedly, the Son doesn't take after the Father, huh?

"Your Father apologised," I say, watching him as he raises his head quickly and tries to protest. I stop him with a look, "Listen. I know your Father was not sincere in his apology. I don't know why he did what he did, sending me away... But, it is a matter of the past. I do blame him, and I hit him for it. We will never get along, so you don't have to apologise in his stead. It is not your fault or burden to carry,"

Sterling is left gaping at me. Turning away, I spot Verity standing a little away in hesitation. I raise my hand and call him over. I relieve Verity of his burden by taking my plate of snacks and glass of juice. Of course, I tell him, "Thank you a lot, for this, Verity,"

"No problem, Lie," Verity tells me, smiling. Glancing at Sterling curiously as Verity takes a seat next to him, Verity asks, "Are you two fighting?"

Verity and Sterling are already friends even before my return. So, I do not take offence when Verity chooses to sit next to Sterling. Also, to his question, "Sterling is apologising for his Father's fault. I tell him there's no need for him to do that, because I don't blame him. I blame his Father. Even if Sterling apologises, as long as his Father is not sincere about his apology, it is no use. Well, it's not like I plan to forgive Uncle anyway,"

"...I know Uncle is wrong... But, you don't plan to forgive Uncle?" Verity asks with surprise, with his eyes widening too

"Yeah," I nod, "I promised myself, that I will keep punching Uncle whenever I see him,"

"You hold a grudge," Sterling speaks up, finally

"Not really," I deny easily, truthfully, "I just feel like punching him and keep punching him. Uncle is Evil,"

"My Father is not-...!" Sterling is unable to defend his Father fully, surprisingly enough

"That's just my pettiness," I tell Sterling and Verity with humour, "No need to trouble yourself over it. Of course, you are free to warn Uncle. Of course, I won't cause a scene in a gathering like this. But, if I meet Uncle somewhere, unexpectedly, and without witness... Be prepared to nurse either one of us," I warn them, with a grin

"...I'd rather you do not fight with Uncle at all, Lie," Verity voices his concern, "You won't be able to win,"

"I don't have boosts that will let me win on strength," I acknowledge, "But, it doesn't mean I don't have other tricks up on my sleeve!"

"Why?" Sterling cannot understand my stubbornness in picking fights with Uncle, in the near future

"Did you learn something from Grandma?" unexpectedly, a new voice joining the conversation

Will is here, along with his plate of snacks and drink. The only one on the table without something to eat is Sterling alone. Verity sympathises and shares his snacks, but not his drink though.

To Will, who chooses to sit next to me, I give a pleased smile, "Of course! Grandma Solid knows how to take down the bad guy!"

"My Father isn't-..." Sterling gives up, he gives up defending his Father from me

Will glances at Sterling curiously. That's right. Will doesn't really know who Sterling is, does he? Well, I am not going to introduce them. Someone else can do it. The job falls on Verity.

As Will questions Sterling about his Father's crime, the party officially started. Because it's a family matter, Sterling mostly answers evasively. I then question Will, cutting into their conversation, "Where is Grandma Solid?"

"Grandma is reuniting with her old friends who are here too. Grandma sends me to find you and protect you, because she is concerned there might be trouble later," Will answers dutifully, of his mission assigned by Grandma Solid

"Are you strong?" hearing that, this is a natural question

"I do plan to enlist into the army, following after Grandma's footstep," Will answers humbly, "I don't plan to fall on battlefield, so I do train myself to be strong,"

"We are at peace now," Sterling points out, "I don't think you will be assigned to battlefield at all,"

"I hope another war won't break out," Verity sighs, looking visibly distraught

There's a story concerning Verity and war, I think. Did the war affect Verity somehow? The war... It happened around twenty to thirty years ago...? The ones affected, wouldn't it be our parents' generation? Verity doesn't notice me looking at him, absorbed in his own thoughts. Aah, like this, I won't be able to show Verity my support to him~

"Peace from war, yes, as of now. Also, there's always the fights against bandits or drunkards," Will replies to Sterling, continuing the conversation, "Fights, I expect, will always exist as long as humans are alive,"

Huh. For Will to say it like that. Putting my concern over Verity aside, I ask him, "Do you have aversion to taking human lives?"

Will glances at /Black Heart/ before answering, "No,"

"You're lying," Sterling immediately says, narrowing his eyes at Will

We grow silent after Sterling's accusation. Then, Will nods, "Yes, I was lying. I lied saying I don't mind killing my opponents. The truth is, I do mind,"

"How old are you?" I ask, wondering if he had already taken someone's life

"I had my coming-of-age birthday party earlier this year," Will replies

Eh? So, the four of us, we are all of the same years? Huh. Who would have thought?

"Is there a problem?" Will questions, a little anxious by my thoughtful silence

"Hm? It's nothing. I am just surprised to know we are all from the same year," I answer his question

"That's all?" Sterling furrows his eyebrows in question

"I'll have you know," I start a tale, a short tale, "I was always surrounded by people older than me. Meeting, knowing, and talking to people my age is new experience to me," plus, nobody would voluntary talk to me without a purpose

"You weren't nervous though," Verity asks, tilting his head in curiosity, joining the conversation again by pointing out our first meeting

"Hmm... It's because you're cute, so I felt at ease!" I grin at Verity, to see him blushes at my words, "Sorry, you might not want to hear me call you cute, but it's true that to me, you're cute, Verity!"

Verity blushes harder. Sterling gapes at me and reminds me, "Verity is your Brother, remember?"

I tilt my head at Sterling, blinking in confusion, "So? Is it wrong for me to like my Brother?"

"...It might be because you were always surrounded by older people," Will starts to say, to inform me of something akin to common sense to them, "But for people our age, stating things like that so boldly won't bode well for you,"

"Well," I reflect, "I already don't care what people think of me. I also know that there is no hope for me to have a lover. With the blessing from God of Death and this obvious /Black Heart/, my fate is already sealed. I will be forever alone," nodding to myself, I then continue, "Which is why, I decide, who cares what they will say? If I find people who don't mind me, who are wiling to be my friends, then I will show them that I will be their greatest friend!"

Hitting my chest, I declare, "For Verity, I will be his greatest Sister ever!"

...

"For you to think that..." Verity is filled with sorrow after hearing my speech

Is it that pitiful? It's the truth though.

"You're wrong," Sterling speaks up, blinking at me in surprise

"Which part is wrong?" I question, confused

"Saying that you have no hope of having a lover," Sterling clears his throat awkwardly as he explains, "That's not true,"

And how do you know that? I don't ask. This experience reminds me of that person who Plum and Laurel found who was blessed by Goddess of Truth. I always have an inkling that Sterling is blessed by Goddess of Truth too.

So, accepting Sterling's words, it means that. I do have a hope of getting a lover? Who will that person be?

"You don't look particularly happy to know of this hope," Will comments

"Hm? Oh, I am glad, I am glad. But, I am also confused," I answer distractedly, "Who is that person, my future lover?"

Nobody has an answer. As expected. I don't know a lot of people... So, who might that person be? Do I need to go out more so I can meet my future lover somewhere, sometime, somehow?

"Is there a person blessed by God or Goddess of Matchmaking?" I ask aloud

"God of Matchmaking?" Verity questions, surprised

"You're going to ask them to find your lover for you right now?!" Sterling exclaims in surprise, "Why are you so desperate?!"

"Why postpone my happiness when I can get it sooner?" I return rhetorically

"Do you think it's a good idea?" Will questions, though he is also shocked

"I just want to know who he is," I say, starting to stand up, "Nothing more than that,"

Turning away from them, I find myself suddenly being the centre of attention. Ah, are we too noisy? Did they hear the content of our conversation? It doesn't seem to be it though. Some, I notice, are looking at somewhere else and me repeatedly. I take a look, to sate my curiosity.

To my gradual horror though, the Crown Prince is walking in my direction.

S.O.S.

"Will, stand up," I hiss the order, nudging him using my foot, "Protect me!"

"I don't protect you from that, Lie," smothering his grin, Will replies

"Eeh, seems like Lie volunteers to be the first to dance with Crown Prince," Sterling has the gut to tease instead of help, having grasped the situation quickly

"Lie, you can dance, right?" Verity asks worriedly, "You learnt it, right?"

If I say I can't, will I be spared? I am already an embarrassment anyway, so who cares if I add a more embarrassing event in my biography? That doesn't matter anyway! Quick! An escape route--

Too late, the Crown Prince is fast. He has already reached our table. Maybe he wants this to be over quickly too. Yes, let's think that is the case.

...The Crown Prince is here! Before me...

"Lady Cogent, may I have the honour for a dance?" smiling gentlemanly, Crown Prince asks while taking my hand

"Of course, Your Highness," I don't reply with a smile, but in the matter-of-fact tone

The sooner we end this dance, the better. So, following the Crown Prince to the dance floor, we get in position and wait for the music to start. As we wait, I must tell the tale of a note worthy to be mentioned. For Crown Prince to take my hand while inviting me to this dance earlier, he doesn't plan to let me reject his invitation at all.

It is worth mentioning, that Crown Prince has a firm grasp on my hand. Even now.

15.

A slow song, a slow dance. I only need to follow Crown Prince's lead and do my best to not step on his feet. I can do this. Yes. I can do this. I can't believe I was unlucky enough to stand up at that exact moment. What a timing. And... what was I thinking?!

The answer is obvious. I wasn't thinking straight at all. What was that, finding my lover? Who needs to care about that?! My priority is to decide whether to stay or go back to the Church inside the forest! Anything else, comes later after I make a decision first!

Also, Crown Prince. He is quick on his feet too. To already be on his way to me when I coincidentally stood up and volunteered myself... If I don't know better, I'd say Crown Prince really was on his way to me. Hah. As if that is the case.

"Lady Cogent," calling me through a murmur, Crown Prince questions, "Do you enjoy the party?"

"May I stay silent?" I reply through murmur too, for the answer is unsavoury if I am forced to say the truth. Why is he making small talk while dancing anyway? Don't we need to concentrate on dancing more than talking, to make sure we don't embarrass ourselves? I spare him a confused look while I wait for his response.

"No," amusement is radiated by the Crown Prince. It is as if he doesn't care even if I make a blunder by accidentally stepping on his foot. Because, why amusement?

Holding back a sigh to both my answer and his amusement, I say "No,"

Suddenly, Crown Prince steps back while raising my hand. After making me twirl once, he steps closer again.

What the--! That startled me. I am feeling a little dizzy.

"Surprised?" Crown Prince asks, with a hint of laughter

"Are you sure that's wise?" I talk a bit more than necessary, after just recovering from the short burst of dizziness, "I might throw up on you,"

"Then, we will be able to escape this party sooner," Crown Prince muses, not repulsed at all by what I implied

"Using me to make a scene, Crown Prince?" I glance at him, at his eyes, to see how serious he is

Crown Prince smiles, looking back at me solemnly, "Never, Lady Cogent,"

How am I supposed to take that? The way I think what he wants me to do then, "If you want a scene, I definitely can make one," I inform him, preparing myself to push him away

In retaliation, Crown Prince pulls me closer instead, "I said, 'Never, Lady Cogent,'"

This, is too close. Because of our height difference, I am only reaching Crown Prince's chin. But... Why is Crown Prince talking while lowering his head? Talk right into my ear?

It is then, that something awakens inside me. While my body is moving being guided by Crown Prince, my mind goes into overdrive. I can feel it. I can sense it. That...!

Killing Intents!!

So manyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Waaah!!! The girls are all sending me their killing intents!! There are a looooooooot!

The biggest, strongest of them all...!

I want to check, but I am also afraid to check. What do I do?

"What's wrong?" Crown Prince questions, sounding a little concerned

"There is a person with a strong killing intent," I answer nervously, slightly burying my face on his shoulder to hide my pale face from the crowd, "But, I am afraid to see who it is,"

"Where?" alerted, believing my words, Crown Prince slows our dance more

Hesitantly, I give the direction and hope Crown Prince will know who that person is, the one sending me such strong killing intent. It is increasing, scarily enough. That strong killing intent is increasing with each passing seconds!!

"...Lady Bond?" Crown Prince breathes out the question

I have no way to check, I don't know who that is too, so I can't confirm. Oh my God of Death... Is it because I am more attune to death, that I can feel the killing intents so strongly?! Why me?! Why am I the target of these killing intents?!

Aaaaaaah...! Breathe in, breathe out. Okay... Commence the operation: Calm Down.

Block the killing intents just like how I block the unsavoury looks from people for my /Black Heart/. Same difference, not really. People are afraid of /Black Heart/, but are people afraid of acting up to their urge? The urge to kill?

Hopefully, these killing intents are just a temporary manifestation... That strong killing intent is a little worrisome though.

The song, my saving grace, finally ends.

Retreat. Retreat. I have used up all my civility and bravery for this dance. It's time to retreat. It's too bad Grace the Witch is busy so she is not here. Otherwise, I am sure I can ask her to accompany me back to the Duke Cogent's house in the Capital.

Without her, my choice is severely limited. I don't want to trouble Verity more than this. Going back alone... I still haven't memorised the way yet... But... All-right, let's try to go back alone. No, wait. What if there're ambushes? It won't be smart to return alone. Then... Will. He is my assigned guard by Grandma Solid, right? Maybe I can ask him for a favour to escort me back...

"Lady Cogent, how about a second dance?" questioning me while still glancing at the supposed Lady Bond, is Crown Prince trying to use me to pick out the suspect?

He needs not to worry. He is not the one in danger. I am. So, I bid you farewell. My safety before your curiosity, Crown Prince.

Rejecting Crown Prince's offer for second dance vaguely, I turn around to locate Will, Grandma Solid's grandson. Then, I see her.

That Person!! She is...!

Oh no. I will faint soon. Sorry about this, Crown Prince. I'll be troubling you a little bit, "Please take care of my body as my mind works to remember That Person,"

The Heroine of the popular otome game, also my favourite otome game, which I played in the past world. The otome game, High-Flier.

Continue Reading