Promise

By lost_forever_now

Captain Swan (OUAT) Fanfic Emma Swan lives in New York and has learned over the years to never trust prom... More

New York
Walls
Prince Charming
Meet up
Smirks and Awkard smiles
Interrogations
Double Date
Lunch
Woah
Dinner Bribes and Drives
Breakfast and Violets
Texts
Sunset
Trust
Break-in
Fishing Trip
Safe
Mall
First fight
Apologize
Nerves
I trust Him
Breakfast and Laughter
Homecoming
Winter Wonderland
A not-so-friendly competition
Don't Shoot The Messenger
The message
Avoid
Poison Apple
Protect
Back to Work
The Quiet Before the Shit Storm
The Raven-Haired Girl
Author's Poll(?)

Store runs and Prison visits

103 8 1
By lost_forever_now

 "Mom do I have to go to school?" Henry whines while grabbing his backpack. "C'mon Henry I know you miss winter break but at least it's Friday" Henry sighs and sits down for breakfast, grabbing the cereal. "Do you want some Cereal?" He asks and I say "Sure just let me grab my purse". I go into my room and grab my purse and my phone charger. I don't know how long I'll be at work today so better be safe than sorry. I walk back to the kitchen and sit down. "You're leaving already?" Henry asks. "Yeah my boss wants me to be ready to go to work at anytime. It depends when the lawyer for the case I'm working gets there" I say rolling my eyes. "You don't like her?" I shrug while pouring my cereal. "She's okay but she's one of those people who thinks they're better than anyone, and the way she says Ms. Swan. Ugh. It's the same case since November and we still haven't set a court date because Queen Regina doesn't know when she'll be free." I feel bad for Robin, he's innocent yet he's sitting in jail awaiting his trial instead of being with his family. I got his son a gift for Christmas. It was small; just a stuffed animal and a toy train station. It was the least I could do considering I was the one who put his dad back into jail so he wasn't there for him during Christmas.

My phone starts ringing and I look at the caller ID and it's the receptionist at the station. Shit. I pick up and I hear "Emma, Captain Lance wants you to come into work now. Miss. Mills can't come today.." she says. "Then why does Captain want me to come? " I ask. "He wants you to talk with Robin before she gets here tomorrow because he seems to be changing his story" What? "Okay I'll be there". I say before hanging up. I look at the clock and get up fast. "I'm sorry Henry but I can't be late". He nods "'Okay. See you at dinner?" I nod and walk towards the door and tell Henry "I'll try to be done by then kid. Bye! Love you." I leave before I can hear him respond.

I practically run to my car and race to the station. Robin can't be changing his story now. Looking like a liar in front of a judge won't help  his plea. I bet this is because of Regina. That bitch I swear when I see her I will give her a piece of m-. My intrapersonal rant is cut off when I see I've arrived at the precinct. I get my purse and files and make my way to Robin's cell. I have the guard move him to one of the interrogation room so we can discuss why he's changing his story.

Robin walks in completely disheveled. "Robin?" I say hesitantly and better look at him. He has a bruise under his left eye and his upper lip is split. "You look terrible! Did you get in a fight?" He looks up at me after sitting down. He waits until the guard locks his handcuffs to the table.

"More like I got beat the shit out of me until the guards could pull them off me" he says.

  "Who would do that and why?!" I ask examining is black eye.

  "There's a gang in the prison run by a guy named Abruzzi. He said something about doing it for the money."

  "Money? So, Mr. Gold puts you in jail, learns we're on to him, then pays to get you beat up." I say shaking my head. "It's a message from him, to get you to back off"

   "Maybe we should" Robin says sounding just as beaten and broken as he looks.

  "What? But you were wrongfully convicted." I reason with him.

   "I stole before. That much is true so if anything, I deserve to go to jail."

"You stole to get by. You're not a bad guy and you don't deserve to go to a maximum security prison just to get beat up."

   He looks at me and sighs. "Emma listen, this week it was me. What if next week Gold goes after you or one of our sons?! I can't risk anyone else. I'm done. I'll take the conviction and serve my time."

   "You'd be serving Gold's time" I say. He looks at me again but doesn't say anything. "I've made up my mind Emma. I appreciate your help but there's nothing you can do."

Nothing I can do? I'm just the little girl who was helpless in all her foster homes again. The girl who went to jail because Neal stole those watches. The girl that can't do anything.

Graham walks into the room with a file. "I got a lead" he says setting down a folder. "On Gold?" I ask.

   "Yes" he says and I open the folder curiously. "It's evidence that he blackmailed someone else. I'm not sure who but I'm sure I can pull a few strings and get a name. Their testimony was going to help put Gold in Jail but all of a sudden the witness pulled out."

  "Probably out of fear. Gold probably threatened him and/or his family". I say and Graham nods. He sighs and says "Emma it's been a long day. Until I can find our witness we can't do anything. You should go home and see Henry, catch a movie, and I don't know but anything is better than spending your Friday here". He says chucking. "I'm sure" I say and gather my things.

  I am about to call Henry when I look at the time and realize he still has two hours left of school. Instead I call Killian. He answers almost right away, as if waiting for my call.

  "Emma!" He exclaims. I laugh and say "Killian!" in the same tone. "Excuse my excitement but we haven't had the pleasure of speaking in awhile.' He says sounding disappointed. "I know Killian and I'm sorry but I've been so busy with work." I say hoping he isn't upset. "It's okay love, I understand." I let out a sigh of relief. Unlike all my exes, he isn't clingy and doesn't get pissed easily. "But" he says.  There it is I think to myself. "To make it up to me, you can let me take you out tonight. Just me and you?" I love the idea but I remember Henry and how I wanted to have dinner with him today. "I'm sorry Killian! I would love to but I can't leave Henry.Actually... I have a better idea! How about I cook and you come over and have dinner with us?" I ask, hopeful he'll say yes. "I would be honored Emma. Plus I miss the lad; I haven't had anyone to watch superhero movies with" He says laughing. "Well then, I'll see you at 6:00? I just need to swing buy the grocery store then I'll start cooking." He thinks for a moment and then says "How about you drive home now. Then in about half an hour I'll swing by and we can both go grocery shopping and we can even pick up Henry from school on our way back. Henry and I can hang out until you cook." "Hey that's not fair you guys get to have all of the fun while I cook" I object. "Well too bad" he teases. "Fine" I say faking a dramatic sigh "I'll see you soon Kil" I say. "See you soon Em".  I hang up and drive home.

When I get home I just lay down on the couch thinking. Mostly about work and how I'll be able to deal with Regina. After about ten minutes I realize Killian's probably on his way so I change into leggings, a white tank top and a black light sweatshirt. Instead of wearing boots I wear tennis shoes. Pleased with my comfortable outfit I walk over the couch and right before I was about to sit down, I get a text from Killian saying he's downstairs. I grab my sunglasses and run down stairs, excited to see him.

  When I reach the lobby and walk out I see Killian standing outside his car. I walk over and give him a hug. "I missed you Swan" he says kissing me and spinning me around. "Me too" I say after pulling away. He walks over to the passenger side door and opens it for me. I smile at his gentle-manliness and get in. On our way to the grocery store we stop by Starbucks.

"How was work?" He asks shifting his eyes from the road to me. I roll my eyes and say "It sucked". He raises his eyebrow so I elaborate "Now Robin doesn't even want to get out of jail. I can tell that he hates being there and it won't get any easier. I was lucky when I went to jail because it was a minimum security penitentiary but his has the worst of the worst in there. Gold made sure of that."

  Killian says "Gold? The old man who owns that pawn shop on Main Street?" I nod "Yeah that's him".  He nods "Don't worry love, you'll get him. You always do" he says reassuringly as he puts his hand on my thigh. I smile and he squeezes gently. I need you. I am so glad I have you Killian. I think to myself. 

   We get to the supermarket and get out of the car and walk towards the store together. As were walking he grabs my hand and we cross the street. When we enter we walk to the closest isle and Killian asks "So, what are we looking for?". I look around and say "I'm making homemade pizza so I need Mozzarella cheese, sliced mushrooms, onions, and tomato sauce. I should have everything else at home. Oh and we should get drinks." He nods and we walk around looking for each item.

    After we get them all I remember one thing I needed to buy and my cheeks turn red. Killian noticed and asked "What's the matter love?" I shook my head and said "Nothing I just forgot something but it's fine I'll just go and grab it." "I can go with you" He offers as I start to walk away but I say "It's fine" and go by myself. I walk over to the feminine products aisle and look for tampons. I find the pack I usually get and grab it when suddenly someone's behind me.

  I spin around to find Killian. He grabs the pack from me and puts it in the cart. My cheeks heat up (again!) and he chuckles and says "Emma Swan are you embarrassed?" I whine and say "Stop Killian I'm not." The heat in my cheeks won't go away.

   Even though I'm a grown woman I still feel weird and embarrassed about personal stuff. When I was a teenager I didn't have a mom to talk me through anything. I faced everything alone.  My first period, my first boyfriend, and even my first child. Alone. So yeah I still feel embarrassed because I've never had a mom to guide me so I've never talked about this stuff to anyone.

    Killian takes a step closer to me and puts his hands on my waist. "Swan you never have to be embarrassed with me okay?" He says and I just nod. Not satisfied with my answer he repeats "Swan" but when I don't do anything he tickles my side and says "C'mon Swan". I manage to keep a straight face. "Emma, look at me" he says but I don't. I'm teasing but he still says "I really didn't want to do this but you've left me no choice" he says. I look at him confused but it's too late. He picks me up and spins me around, in the middle of the feminine products aisle. I laugh and and puts me down. Were both laughing and he leans down . "That's the smile I was waiting for" he says. I smile even bigger and playfully hit his chest "Don't do that" I say while I'm still laughing. I stand up on the tips of my toes and kiss his cheek. He goes back and takes the cart and I wrap my arm around his and we walk to the checkout line together.

  After the cashier scans all of our items she says the total cost and Killian and both reach for our wallets. He shakes his head and says "Nuh-uh Swan it's on me this time". "But I'm inviting you over" I protest. "Exactly, since your cooking, I should pay" he says as if it's obvious. The cashier is waiting for us to finish negotiating until Killian just hands her his card before I could give her mine.  After he pays, he gets the bags and we start to walk out when the cashier nods in his direction and tells me "He's a keeper. Most guys don't have the decency to be like that." I shake my head and say "Don't I know it".

  Killian is waiting up for me by the door and we walk out together, hand in hand. Just like how we walked in. We put all the groceries in his trunk and we leave. Sitting in the car I remember what the cashier had said earlier. "He's a keeper. Most guys don't have the decency to be like that." When I was younger I didn't believe there were guys like Killian. I thought Neal was as good as a lonely, abandoned, orphan could do. 'If my own parents didn't want me then why would any guy?' I would think to myself. Neal loved me and I was lucky. At least that's what I thought. I was so naive back then but I don't blame myself. Neal did this to me. I didn't know any better. If only Killian had been who I was with back then. Jail, having a baby, and being abused would've been things I could only imagine. Only if...

~Flashback~

"You ready Emma?" Neal asks me as he's opening his car door. "No" I say but I join him outside the car anyways." We walk towards the store and he reminds me "Remember what I told you. If the store owner suspects anything you motion over to me and we run. If not just fake something so they won't call the cops. I love that pregnant bit we did last time."

   "Yeah that was fun" I say smiling. We walk inside the small store and I walk towards the back as Neal asks the store owner about directions like usual. I put some cans into my bag and a couple pieces of bread as well. I made sure to bring a big bag since last time I didn't get enough food Neal made sure I never forgot it. I  wince at the memory. 

  "Hey!" Someone yelled catching me off guard. I spun to look who was yelling and unfortunately it was the store owner. He was barreling towards me shouting in a language I didn't understand. When he reaches me he has calmed down a bit. "I see you stealing from store. You think you can steal from me? I just came to America and already stealing. Come to the front young lady. And you" he says pointing to Neal "don't go anywhere". 

 I walk towards the front with him and empty my bag on the counter. After all the stuff I was about to to steal is layed on the counter the store owner said "Now I can either call the police or you can just pay for the stuff and be on your way. The choice is yours." He says in a deep accent. I look at Neal in panic and he shrugs "You got yourself caught. You pay." I take out whatever money I can find in my pocket and count them up. "I have six dollars. Is that enough?" I say handing them to him. "This is all just three-fifty." He says just taking three dollars "This will do." I nod and say "thank you sir". He smiles and bags the items and hands them to me. Neal steps in front of me and grabs the bag instead. "I'll take these to the car." The store owner looks disgusted by Neals behavior. He looks at me and hands me the three dollars back. "It's on the house." He says "Do not worry we strong business, we do not need the money. You do more I suspect." He adds when I refuse to take the money. "Now you better get going". I nod and walk away but before I open the door to leave the quiet store he adds one more thing "Lady, now I do not know much about the men here but I am sure that everywhere that man is not considered what you westerners call..a..well..a gentleman. Anyways, just remember a man who does what he just did is not a man at all". I look down in embarrassment. How could I ever be with a guy that lets me take the fall and treats me like shit? 'Because that is all you deserve' I tell myself. I look back up and nod then step out into the crisp Portland air.

~END FLASHBACK~

  I guess that whole situation should've tipped me off about him leaving me with the watches and letting me take the fall. I think while staring out the car door window on our way to pick up Henry from school. I look over at Killian. How did I get so lucky? After Neal I never thought there was anybody who would ever care about me. Thankfully I was wrong, there are gentleman in the world after all? Killian catches me staring and smiles "What's up with you?" he says laughing slightly. "What" I say. "You have that look in your eyes" he says. "I was just thinking" I say smiling. "Hmm. Thinking about what?" I grab the hand that's not on the wheel and say "I was just thinking about how happy I am to have bumped into you that one day." He looks at me then turns back to focus on the road "Wow all this because I payed for your stuff. If I knew all I had to do to win you over was buy you some pads I would've took you shopping months ago." He says and I smack his arm and laugh "No I'm serious. You're the first guy I have dated that I can depend on and after being alone my whole life, well that means a lot". He smiles. "Well with Henry and now me, you will never be alone". He says sincerely. I think he's about to tell me he loves me but when doesn't I say "I wouldn't have it any other way". He lets go of my hand and rests it on my thigh. For the rest of the ride his hand stays like that and we sing along to the radio, and all I can think about is how much I love him.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

 Hey guys! It's been a while. I apologize for take SO LONG to update but I got busy with school and then again during summer when I took a trip abroad for two months. I hope this chapter and the more to come will make up for it!

Feel free to message me with questions, suggestions, or any thoughts. Always available for my readers! (well not for the past  couple months) Anyways, remember: Read, Comment, Vote, Repeat. <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79K 3.5K 40
Emma Swan, also known as the fairest of them all, just like her mother Queen Snow, turned 18, and she knows she will need to get married soon, accor...
62.8K 3K 40
When Emma was 18 she got pregnant by her boyfriend Neal. Neal left Emma and their son Henry when Henry was two. Emma was lost and alone and her best...
31K 1.9K 32
CaptainSwan, set in the real world. Emma Swan and Killian Jones grew up in the same foster system together. They'd both been there nearly their entir...
14.6K 460 32
Emma learns something that makes her want to run. How will Killian react? Her boyfriend of 3 years. How will her 16 year old son react, Henry. How wi...